Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online
9 registered (HJP, DJC, OZ 4/4, petemog, Michael P, BobtheTrain, MarioCP, Moggo, Andrew Kidney), 99 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Rodger's M3W oil cooler
Bonesies new car :
4/4 80th Anniversary
Dunnottar Moonrise
Rodger's M3W
Newest Topics
Wanted: Rebound springs
by sid
20/02/19 10:09 PM
Anyone tried these razor blades
by Jack The Lad
20/02/19 05:45 PM
morgan .jpg
by chrivi
20/02/19 05:27 PM
Happy Birthday Button you legend
by +8Rich
20/02/19 04:42 PM
Picture of 4 wheeled M3W wanted
by PaulJ
20/02/19 02:29 PM
oil cooler installation
by rcmatt
20/02/19 01:40 PM
Fitting a valance to my +4
by tommog
20/02/19 11:08 AM
Newest Members
lysholmn1, LightSpeed, David Gibson, thelastgizmo, Shadmog
6386 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,386 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,278 Topics
550,488 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#557809 - 04/02/19 10:49 AM Should I? The GTN itch..
NickCW Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Buckinghamshire
Morning all,

Long story short I visited Melvyn's over the weekend, and I must admit seeing a GTN in the flesh again really got me thinking about changing my Aero 8 for it.

However of course it is never that simple and thus I am here for some recommendations, man maths and common sense (or perhaps the opposite?).

So my thoughts are currently:
- What is my Aero worth? The market seems to be all over the place so I am thinking a lower figure of 40k to base calculations on is sensible, albeit perhaps less than I would hope to achieve.
- Is the GTN worth 79k? It's been on sale for over 6 months and not sold, so the market would suggest not, and if I recall less than a decade ago these were trading at around 10k more than an S1.
- It is twice the price of mine, but is it twice the car?
- I have plans if I keep mine to add some extras to it that would make it much nicer, paintwork, new interior, hardtop etc.. but it is money I won't ever recoup - so the GTN is more sensible in that regard.
- I didn't drive/or even get to fire it up for that matter so that was a shame, I hear that side pipes sound quite different to the rear exits.
- My wife and I are already quite fond of "Lucifer", and have many memories, which is playing on the mind as well.
- In all honesty it wouldn't be a full cash purchase (I own my current Aero) but would have to find some finance to bridge the gap so I really want to make sure before I do anything.
- It could be my last and only chance to buy the Aero I fell in love with when I first saw it on Top Gear all those years ago..

What would you do? confused2

Apologies in advance for the randomness of questions, its one of those decisions.. confused hide

"What we do in life.. echoes in eternity."

#557812 - 04/02/19 10:55 AM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: NickCW]
Dean-Royal Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: UK (up north)
I agree the GTN is only worth £10k more than the S1

Bid him where it hurts and let him stew all weekend, if you get it it will feel good, if you dont you will feel good about what you didnt waist.

Good Luck

Edited by Dean-Royal (04/02/19 10:56 AM)

#557813 - 04/02/19 10:58 AM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: NickCW]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devonshire
That is quite some dilemma Nick and as I know very little of Aero's I won't comment other than to wish you luck with your decision making.
The only recommendation I would make is to contact Shooter on here as he has a lot of experience of Aero's and still runs a GTN which I believe he has had for quite a while.

#557826 - 04/02/19 11:26 AM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: NickCW]
Philippo Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Beaumont de Lomagne, France
Dean-Royal, imho your advice to Rick is sound. GTNs aren't quite hen's teeth yet so I can imagine other opportunities arising.

I would also definitely recommend a thorough test drive and inspection before making any bidding decision as it sounds like you know your existing Aero well, but not the GTN.

Cheers

4/4 4 seater 1974
Malone F1000

#557827 - 04/02/19 11:40 AM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: NickCW]
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: norfolk, UK
NickCW,

For what it's worth, if you can afford it I think you have answered your question in the final sentence of your post.
Life is not a rehearsal, it's the real thing----Go for it !!

#557834 - 04/02/19 12:24 PM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: Dean-Royal]
madmax Offline
Part of the Furniture

Loc: East Anglia
Originally Posted By Dean-Royal

Bid him where it hurts and let him stew all weekend, if you get it it will feel good, if you dont you will feel good about what you didnt waist.

Good Luck

+1

#557846 - 04/02/19 01:12 PM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: Dean-Royal]
NickCW Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Originally Posted By Dean-Royal

Good Luck

Well I have had a conversation about where the seller wants to be with it, and apparently the seller isn't looking for much in the way of offers..

#557847 - 04/02/19 01:15 PM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: NickCW]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
I think they will be worth more. I am not certain it will be worth double but the market for Aero's a bit fickle. I looked at a GTN when I bought the S2 (also at MR's as well) and they were quite special.

If you can get a condition/servicing run down on it (from the current owner if possible) on what condition it is in I would make a difference. GTN parts are probably more rare than S1 parts so this will be important. You know Aeros now so the drive is one of the key decision making moments. I am surprised he not get you into it instantly. Unless he is nervous?

As to pricing. The one I looked at 6 years ago was 80k when the brand new S4 were going for about the same price. My S2 was going for 42k and the S1 were about £34-38k at that time. Amazingly prices seem to be at or about the same now I think. Just us and the cars are a bit older.

1 List of work by who and when.
2 Has it got the hardtop.
3 Can you speak to the current owner.
4 Does he have flexibility on the price.

My $0.02 in case it helps.

#557851 - 04/02/19 01:21 PM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: NickCW]
NickCW Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Thanks all for the feedback so far,

I have found the advert again which is:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1058507

Condition looks A1, bar a few age related items (carbon seems to be unsticking from the dash on one corner, little marks here and there if being picky).

Only slight issue I have is the selling dealer as lovely as they were seem to be massively undervaluing my Aero, so I would need to sell it elsewhere which makes things more awkward than doing a single deal.

#557861 - 04/02/19 01:47 PM Re: Should I? The GTN itch.. [Re: NickCW]
Shooter Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Oreton, Shropshire
I cannot speak for other GTN's as I have only driven mine. It feels a much better drive than any other Aero I've driven. My series 4 comes in second then my 3 and my 5 in joint last place with the supersport :-)

I think the last GTN (no. 5, LHD) sold for around £70,000 after being on market for over a year. I think they will continue to be a slower sale because you have to know what it is. I had been wanting one for a while so bought it as soon as it came on to the market so mine wasn't advertised for very long.

I think if I were ever looking to sell then it would be at least at the margin above a stock S1 that Melvyn's car is on the market at. I think if you got it for £75k with any fettling that needs doing completed in the price then do it. I don't think you'll regret it.
Aero 8 GTN. #10
Aero 8 S5.... #10

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon