Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
7 registered (LightSpeed, Bunny, teifistar, skullmog, John Robie, Michael H, Rudolf), 109 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Vehicle Lifts
When Your Wife Understands You...
Factory visit
Welcome home...
She’s revived
Newest Topics
And you thought you had problems ?
by chocadoodledoo
22 minutes 10 seconds ago
A good TV watch.....
by OZ 4/4
39 minutes 33 seconds ago
Shop Manual
by LightSpeed
Today at 02:53 AM
2014 4/4 toe and camber
by Heinz
Today at 12:05 AM
Impressive Fulcrum flying
by +8Rich
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Climate Change, The Facts
by +8Rich
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Front wheel bearing
by TBM
Yesterday at 09:14 PM
Newest Members
rico, Apples, muelhth1, John Robie, Del Mog
6464 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,464 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,817 Topics
561,916 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#558637 - 08/02/19 03:06 PM Re: White Dials [Re: CooperMan]
BobtheTrain Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Renfrewshire
Originally Posted By Budster
Bob.
camera please once you’ve got them installed.
They will look great in the car.

(Of course, my modest 4/4 already has off-white dials as standard. wink innocent)

Thank you Budster. Will do.

Originally Posted By CooperMan
[quote=ewn]That looks good and it can do 180mph!

laugh2 First thing my grandson checks out when he gets in any car

Thank you CooperMan. Never actually tried!

#558669 - 08/02/19 06:02 PM Re: White Dials [Re: howard]
Esprit Offline
L - Learner Plates On

[quote=howard]But that said I really like the fully electronic displays of the sort that McLaren use. Programmable to show different screens just like your PC, so for a track day for example, there is a dominant rev counter with rev limiter lights and oil pressure and temperature. And of course the colour changes.[unquote]

Agreed it’s impressive and I do like it. Having said that, it’s possible to restore, rebuild or even recreate electro mechanical instruments for what we now think of as classic cars but I wonder how feasible it will be to keep cars like the McLaren running in say 40 years time if they have programmable screens and a high reliance on computing.

Edited by Esprit (08/02/19 06:10 PM)

#558762 - 09/02/19 11:31 AM Re: White Dials [Re: Esprit]
howard Offline
Part of the Furniture

I wonder myself. I was once told a story that McLaren had trouble doing some work on an original P1, the car with the gold foil insulation. The problem was that they only had Windows 7 computers and the P1 needed to be linked up to something running 3.1 McLaren had to go onto ebay to buy an old computer. laugh

What happens when the ECU fails on a 20 year old car. Not only wont there be old style ECUs available, but who will have access to the progam to download it. After all, modern car ecus run far more than the engine. Things like ABS, the soft top mechanism, the blue tooth link etc etc.

I am not enough of a geek to know the answer.

#558784 - 09/02/19 12:58 PM Re: White Dials [Re: BobtheTrain]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Cologne, Germany
I am convinced that there will be a market for retro software, old PC systems and so on. You should be able to emulate all this, even if it is new hardware, in the car or in the PC.
I don't look so negatively into the future. And important parts can originate from a 3D printer.

#558787 - 09/02/19 01:06 PM Re: White Dials [Re: Heinz]
Northernmorgan Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Northern England
I think you are right Heinz. It will be at a cost though that might rule out more mundane future classics.

I look at my latest acquisition with its very simple loom, voltage regulator, Dynamo 6 volts, no wipers, graduated stick for a fuel gauge 🙄 and a Boyce Motometer on top of the radiator cap for temperature. How things have moved on!

#558808 - 09/02/19 02:15 PM Re: White Dials [Re: BobtheTrain]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Llanelli
Nerds question... Is it possible to convert an ECU engine to run on the old systems before ECUs. know it will affect emissions. Just an idle thought.

#558819 - 09/02/19 03:08 PM Re: White Dials [Re: Ray]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Yes. But, you might not manage it with some of the rather complex modern motors.
There are at least two earlier Morgans running around with later engines using carburettors rather than EFI. The emissions tests for them are based on the vehicle age - they wouldn't pass on engine date.

Edited by Graham, G4FUJ (09/02/19 03:09 PM)
Edit Reason: But,

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#558821 - 09/02/19 03:18 PM Re: White Dials [Re: Northernmorgan]
Gambalunga Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Originally Posted By Northernmorgan
I think you are right Heinz. It will be at a cost though that might rule out more mundane future classics.

I agree John. I think very few cars that were manufactured from 2000 on will ever be viable future classics. Replacing electronic components will be nearly impossible. Take, for example, the instrument cluster on the last Roadster. Engine management becomes more difficult with the advent of direct injection (GDI) engines and so on.

#558822 - 09/02/19 03:21 PM Re: White Dials [Re: Northernmorgan]
Burgundymog Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Essex
Originally Posted By Northernmorgan

I look at my latest acquisition with its very simple loom, voltage regulator, Dynamo 6 volts, no wipers, graduated stick for a fuel gauge 🙄 and a Boyce Motometer on top of the radiator cap for temperature. How things have moved on!

I am not sure that even those may not be to advanced for you to deal with oldgit laugh2 laugh2 laugh2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon