Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
15 registered (Stewart S, CooperMan, NickCW, DonM, N22MOG, brian battersby, jimmyw, jong, rcmatt, SER, dodgyken, rainbowj, Guten, yobtaf, Budster), 53 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Rodger's M3W oil cooler
Bonesies new car :
4/4 80th Anniversary
Dunnottar Moonrise
Rodger's M3W
Newest Topics
oil cooler installation
by rcmatt
20/02/19 01:40 PM
Fitting a valance to my +4
by tommog
20/02/19 11:08 AM
A big welcome from the Inner Circle
by DaveW
20/02/19 10:01 AM
Spark Plugs
by James B W
20/02/19 09:30 AM
Golf Clubs
by SFG
20/02/19 08:29 AM
Im in the club !! new (to me ) +4
by Bonesie
19/02/19 11:05 PM
How do you say "Worcestershire sauce"?
by Gambalunga
19/02/19 08:44 PM
Newest Members
lysholmn1, LightSpeed, David Gibson, thelastgizmo, Shadmog
6386 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,386 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,273 Topics
550,309 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Boshly
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#558735 - 09/02/19 09:23 AM Re: A Very Yellow Car [Re: Peter J]
tmg513 Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Powick
Originally Posted By Peter J
Will be arriving late March....

It is a Mercedes AMG A34, 4 Matic.
The standard colours are white, red or AMG Sun Yellow. So it had to be yellow.

It replaces the BMW M140. Why replace the M140?
I tired of the harsh ride and unsupportive seats.
The wheel control and associated ride quality compromised traction: over sprung, under damped resulted in the traction control cutting in on hard acceleration, even on a straight road, unless the road surface was almost perfect and dry.

I looked at spending £3700 on the highly regarded Birds Performance pack. this comprises new springs and specially valved dampers plus a Quaife LSD.
But a back to back test drive convinced me that although it improved the wheel control substantially it didn't make the ride any nicer.

Also, the Management hated the car and refused to use it unless there was no option.

The new C35 is the entry model AMG, a new engine from MB, 2.0L and 306 HP. They claim 4.4.7 seconds to 62mph, which is quick enough.

More importantly Management likes it, and the monthly cost is not much more than the M140.

Thoughts anyone.

Put it in Sport Plus, switch the traction control off, and dump the wife.

#558741 - 09/02/19 10:06 AM Re: A Very Yellow Car [Re: Craig Jezz]
Northernmorgan Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Northern England
Originally Posted By Craig Jezz
Originally Posted By MDS61

The wheel control and associated ride quality compromised traction: over sprung, under damped resulted in the traction control cutting in on hard acceleration, even on a straight road, unless the road surface was almost perfect and dry.

I looked at spending £3700 on the highly regarded Birds Performance pack. this comprises new springs and specially valved dampers plus a Quaife LSD.
But a back to back test drive convinced me that although it improved the wheel control substantially it didn't make the ride any nicer.

Also, the Management hated the car and refused to use it unless there was no option.

The new C35 is the entry model AMG, a new engine from MB, 2.0L and 306 HP. They claim 4.4.7 seconds to 62mph, which is quick enough.

More importantly Management likes it, and the monthly cost is not much more than the M140.

Thoughts anyone.

Sorry much prefer the BMW....

The BMW is rear wheel drive, has a great great engine and compared to BMW the two Merc's I have owned have had real quality concerns.

Peter you will miss that engine tumbleweed

+1 I have had three BMW 3 series and one Mercedes C Class. I don’t think I could go back to MB. The MB is more of a relaxing drive, the BMW is a drivers car.

Don’t forget Craig......Peter hasn’t mentioned it this time....but he has to carry a bale of straw! 🙄🤣

Peter.... I’m quite shocked. You seemed to really have fallen for the charms of the BMW.
But as I’ve found to my cost over the years, an initial impression of a car’s comfort and handling can become tiring once the initial enthusiasm wanes and reality hits you!
I hope the Merc does it for you this time. 👍

#558753 - 09/02/19 11:03 AM Re: A Very Yellow Car [Re: Northernmorgan]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted By Northernmorgan
Originally Posted By Craig Jezz
Originally Posted By MDS61

Thoughts anyone.

Sorry much prefer the BMW....

The BMW is rear wheel drive, has a great great engine and compared to BMW the two Merc's I have owned have had real quality concerns.

Peter you will miss that engine tumbleweed

+1 I have had three BMW 3 series and one Mercedes C Class. I don’t think I could go back to MB. The MB is more of a relaxing drive, the BMW is a drivers car.

Don’t forget Craig......Peter hasn’t mentioned it this time....but he has to carry a bale of straw! 🙄🤣

Peter.... I’m quite shocked. You seemed to really have fallen for the charms of the BMW.
But as I’ve found to my cost over the years, an initial impression of a car’s comfort and handling can become tiring once the initial enthusiasm wanes and reality hits you!
I hope the Merc does it for you this time. 👍

Over the years I've had multiple Mercedes cars in many guises. Before the BMW I had a Mercedes CLC which was 11 years old and I was very comfortable with. But it was going to fail the next MOT and the cost of the work was more than the car was worth.

I looked at the old A Class, but the hatch opening was narrow, no way for the bails of horse stuff.

The last BMW I had was a 320 Touring... kept it for 3 years, but never really gelled with it. Gutless, harsh ride. The M140 certainly isn't gutless, but it has the same ride characteristics. Also as mentioned, Caroline didn't like it one bit, all black and claustrophobic.

Her C43 is different, the glass roof makes it light and airy. The A34 has the same roof, so she likes it.

Both have a very similar ride. Some like Mercedes characteristics, some prefer BMW. I think I now know what I like...

Also, the +8 is more comfortable and relaxing than the BMW.
OK, the BMW is a quick rear drive drivers car, the +8 and the C43 are both quick and more a GT than a drivers car.
Horses for courses, I guess.

#558828 - 09/02/19 04:06 PM Re: A Very Yellow Car [Re: Peter J]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: South Yorkshire
A bold colour which I like a lot.

I've never gelled with either BMW or Mercedes. I've had friends with various models of each but none have made me think Wow!

And yet when I sat in the new Mk4 Golf I had to have one.....

And logically I should like Audi, but I don't. The A4 we rented was disappointing in many ways.

So my tastes are odd. If I was to change our GTD Golf I would probably go for an R like Paul. But it wouldn't get much use.

The Polo GTI is brilliant..... grin2

#558993 - 10/02/19 11:05 AM Re: A Very Yellow Car [Re: Peter J]
Neilda Offline
Part of the Furniture

Loc: Surrey. UK
Looks like it should be a great car Peter....

I had a yellow car for a while - for some reason it really attracted horseflies in the summer. Cleaning it became quite difficult some days - not sure why it was quite so attractive to them.

#559024 - 10/02/19 02:32 PM Re: A Very Yellow Car [Re: DaveW]
PaulJ Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Somerset, UK
Originally Posted By DaveW
A bold colour which I like a lot.

I've never gelled with either BMW or Mercedes. I've had friends with various models of each but none have made me think Wow!

And yet when I sat in the new Mk4 Golf I had to have one.....

And logically I should like Audi, but I don't. The A4 we rented was disappointing in many ways.

So my tastes are odd. If I was to change our GTD Golf I would probably go for an R like Paul. But it wouldn't get much use.

The Polo GTI is brilliant..... grin2

In truth my R doesn't get much use, 12,000 miles in 3 years, but like all toy cars, you appreciate it more when you gat back to it.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon