Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Ncik P, Scrambledsignals, pandy, +8Rich, Budster), 53 guests, and 25 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 266
John V6 144
Peter J 83
Newest Topics
Peamore Garage Morgan at Auction this Sunday!
by Roady. 16/07/19 10:06 AM
New wing mirrors
by Andrewmcc. 16/07/19 09:13 AM
will the +6 succeed?
by howard. 16/07/19 07:24 AM
And now for something completely different...
by PaulV. 15/07/19 09:35 PM
Morgan Community Survey
by OZ 4/4. 15/07/19 08:50 PM
landed myself with the club weekend away
by howard. 15/07/19 04:52 PM
Steel or Aluminum Body?
by DaveK. 15/07/19 04:18 PM
Latest Photos
Some little planes.
M3W AT PORT GAMBLE
65 Plus 4 gas cap and new luggage
wrenching fun
Swanmog at Prodrive
Newest Members
AREL2000, CarMart, Doc L, Jack 602, IsoGrifo
6592 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics35,611
Posts574,620
Members6,592
Most Online341
Feb 11th, 2018
Today's Birthdays
BuyBritish
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Morgan S1 Roadster versus Modern Plus 8 Trad [Re: Cineman] #559154
11/02/19 11:10 AM
11/02/19 11:10 AM
Berkshire/Oxon & Devon
JB62 Offline
Learner Plates Off!
JB62  Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Berkshire/Oxon & Devon
I have a V8 Speedster - after a 76 4/4 4 then a highly modified 4/4 (from new 2012). Part of my enjoyment was the journey from taking a "cooking" 4/4 up to a Competition spec car. It was a hoot to drive but once I had the finished product - it was time to do something "different".

The Speedster is a fundamentally different car- but strangely, it still gives me the Morgan- "feeling" ( whatever that is!).

People treat you the same way on petrol forecourts and you still get let out of side roads.

The dials still mist up - and the horn falls out of the Moto Lita wheel over big bumps!

You get waved at by passers by - and inevitably you are asked about wood!

The whole thing appears more civilised- until you don't want it to be. Then it becomes a bit crazed!

I personally really enjoy being able to waft along in 6th on torque one moment - then using the gears to make the side exit pipes howl the next.

I've enjoyed all my Morgans for different reasons- it just needs to be right for you.

The advertised car is not a Morgan Speedster- so not sure if they are trying to charge more/less for that description?

Nice car anyway.

V8 Speedster
Re: Morgan S1 Roadster versus Modern Plus 8 Trad [Re: Cineman] #559165
11/02/19 12:46 PM
11/02/19 12:46 PM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Member of the Inner Circle

Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted By Cineman
Thanks Peter - that's the kind of detail I was looking for. I think your dash and colour scheme looks fine - not trad but OK and your steering wheel acceptable!!
I was very interested in the fact you regard the car as a "daily" - I would find it hard to say that of the Roadster as in the end it is skittish - fun & engaging but not relaxed.
Sounds like the Aero Plus 8 is quite different in that regard - primarily because of the chassis I assume.
Drop in for a cuppa if you are travelling down the A38 to Plymouth.. we're just 5 mins off the road near Ashburton.

Cheers
Oliver.

Oliver PM sent.
I use it as a daily drive from about March to November, then through the winter as the opportunity arrises. The week ahead looks good.

I share your views of the Roadster. Bags of grunt, but the suspension at both ends isn't really up to the power on hand. We had the SSL front end and might have their 5 link rear end, but the chassis in between is still 60 year old technology.

The Aero +8 has much more power, but a chassis that isn't really troubled by the power. We have an Auto, in normal D mode it is a relaxed, easy driving car. In sport mode, which activates the paddle shift, it can be driven as in D mode, but with very little effort it becomes a howling beast.

I've had the back end step out once, otherwise it just goes as instructed.

Another difference between the Roadster and Plus 8 is heat soak into the cockpit. On the Roadster it was VERY significant. In the Plus 8 there is none. The A/C is great at keeping feet cool in the summer. The heater also seems to be more powerful and controllable.

As has been said, the car in the advertisement isn't a Speedster, but the price is good. With 38700 miles run I'd expect Tarka to go for a bit less, but not massively so.

Peter,
Tarka the 'Otter Mog
2014 Plus 8

Re: Morgan S1 Roadster versus Modern Plus 8 Trad [Re: Cineman] #559181
11/02/19 03:25 PM
11/02/19 03:25 PM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Peter J  Offline

Salisbury, UK
I've just carefully reviewed the advertisement: it is somewhat confused...

First, it is an autobox, the gear position indicator on the transmission tunnel is visible.
Second, the engine is NOT lifted from the M5, but from the X5 truck and 745 car.

The red dash is horrid. It is painted MDF. One reason ours looks OK is that the colour is "wood like". I have expensive upgrade plans...

The mileage is very low.. less than 1000 miles a year. Why? Hs it been serviced every year? Even if it has I wouldn't trust the tyres. They are Yokahama's and are likely to be from 2012. So 7 years old, mostly effectively in storage. There will be no wear...and precious little grip. The Plus 8 needs all the grip it can get and the rears wear about 2x the fronts. My rears lasted about 18,000 miles and the last 2000 were "interesting"

Peter,
Tarka the 'Otter Mog
2014 Plus 8

Re: Morgan S1 Roadster versus Modern Plus 8 Trad [Re: Cineman] #559195
11/02/19 04:19 PM
11/02/19 04:19 PM
London
MOG 615 Offline
Has a lot to Say!
MOG 615  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

London
Oliver

Just a couple more thoughts to help confuse you further.

The Aero based +8 has very little luggage space behind the seats , I put a camera bag there for a test drive , and I was really surprised how little additional space there was , certainly a great deal less than the Roadster and other trads. You can of course put a luggage rack on the rear panel if you need.

You also have to embrace the concept of living without a spare wheel. If your motoring is in daylight hours in places that are likely to stock the tyre size needed then fine , but if you enjoy motoring through the wilder and less populated areas of this (or indeed any) country , then all you get is a can of sealant. If that is OK by you , then fine , if not then you might need to re-think things.

Lastly I know others here have vouched how the Aero +8 handles really well and the tail end is well controlled. I have a feeling this must take some skill. I found it quite challenging at around 4,000 rpm when the VANOS system opens up and a whole load more torque suddenly gets transmitted to the rear wheels. On an admittedly short test drive the conditions were appalling , cold sleet , soaking roads and not great visibility I almost got a tank slapper while accelerating up a hill in fourth. It gave me something to think about.

The only way you can decide is to test a few cars and see if you can live with the differences.

Andy G
1999 +8 , Indigo Blue.
Ex-John McKecknie/Mike Duncan 1955 +4 racer.
Re: Morgan S1 Roadster versus Modern Plus 8 Trad [Re: Cineman] #559203
11/02/19 05:07 PM
11/02/19 05:07 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
I haven't experienced the Aero Plus 8, but my S5 Aero test drive showed me it's not for me.

It was about comfort, which sounds odd, but the relationship between pedals and steering wheel doesn't fit my shape.

I had to sit too close to the steering wheel to reach the pedals, and it was just uncomfortable, even on a short run.

DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) Plus 4
Re: Morgan S1 Roadster versus Modern Plus 8 Trad [Re: Cineman] #559208
11/02/19 05:22 PM
11/02/19 05:22 PM
Hampshire
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Alistair  Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Hampshire
Yes the point around the steering wheel to pedals distance has foxed a few peoples plans. Also the manuals need a little practice as the pedals are floor hinged. Good if you have had a Beetle/911 in the past but a little learning otherwise. Autos are floor hinged but as you are not leaning on the clutch less of an issue.

Just time to burn a little more petrol before dinner.
Re: Morgan S1 Roadster versus Modern Plus 8 Trad [Re: Alistair] #559236
11/02/19 06:51 PM
11/02/19 06:51 PM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Peter J  Offline

Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted By Alistair
Yes the point around the steering wheel to pedals distance has foxed a few peoples plans. Also the manuals need a little practice as the pedals are floor hinged. Good if you have had a Beetle/911 in the past but a little learning otherwise. Autos are floor hinged but as you are not leaning on the clutch less of an issue.

Alistair was kind enough to let me drive his Aeros when I was thinking of changing. The manual box is a challenge as the clutch, as well as being floor hinged, is quite sharp. I still feel guilty about the amount of clutch slip I caused....

The auto is easy to drive. Interestingly, the auto box ratios match the manual ones only in sport mode. in D Mode it starts in 2nd and changes early, so is very benign.
I feel the car works better for the average driver with an auto box than manual.

Peter,
Tarka the 'Otter Mog
2014 Plus 8

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon