Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
18 registered (auster, Heinz, DaveW, britmog, PaulV, 1560, MJF, waikiore, M3W55, Old man, Rog G, cerealsurfer, westgardronning, petemog, Ricardo, boxboxbox, Texaszeak, P Dron), 119 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
More recent pics...
pic of car as suggested in welcome forum
Ford GDI engine for sale
Today at Rattray Head
The brae of Coynach
Newest Topics
1964 4/4 - Battery
by britmog
16/02/19 08:18 PM
Seeking 1981 Red 4/4 Reg XEL358X
by andymot
16/02/19 07:05 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of bondage.
by Eurosystem0
16/02/19 03:17 PM
Easy up hood
by DavidC
16/02/19 01:10 PM
TV Formula One on TV.
by Jack The Lad
16/02/19 11:41 AM
S3 to S5
by Gareth H
15/02/19 11:36 PM
Where are you from.
by Alistair
15/02/19 10:16 PM
Newest Members
Lindsay B, Reckless, nate22, Mike3W, Dutchie55
6364 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,364 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,227 Topics
549,528 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Ken A, Ruut Bianchi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#559373 - 12/02/19 02:58 PM Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade
DaveW Online   content
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: South Yorkshire
Two garage days presented themselves, so I lost no time in getting on with my front brake upgrade.

A few weeks ago, I did a rear brake inspection, and changed the rear flexible hose, and brake fluid in that circuit in readiness.

First a preamble. Ten years ago, not long after bringing my Roadster home, I discovered that the front nearside hub nut was extremely tight on the threads. Hub nuts should be hand tight after being loosened, but this one was spanner tight all the way off. It's what happens if you over-tighten, it distorts the threads on the hub.

I lived with that ever since, knowing that it needed sorting out. So a week or two ago, I bought a replacement hub assembly from MWS. The first thing I did was to try the hub nut on the new hub, and I found that it wound on all the way, by hand. This confirmed to me that the problem was with the old hub assembly.

The snag is that the new hub comes without bearings, which means either buying new bearings or extracting and refitting the old ones. Being tapered, the outer bearing drops out, and the much bigger inner bearing also drops out, once the oil seal is persuaded to come out. This has a thin metal outer cover, so needs care.

What's left is the two inner tracks. Normally, when replacing with new, I would drift the old ones out and fit the new ones using the old as buffers. Anyway I took extra care drifting these metal rings out, but I don't have a suitable puller, so it involves hammer action. They are very hard so deal with shocks quite well.

I heated up the new hub to help fit the new bearing tracks. The outer one is easy enough as a socket can be used with a threaded ro to pull it into place. The inner track is more problematical, as it's large diameter, so I had to resort to drifting in using a hammer, and soft(ish) punch. This one doesn't fit so far into the hub so went OK in the end.

This is a view you don't often see......the new hub in the back of the wheel........
I might try adopting the old hub to carry the spare wheel. It needs a spacer of 2", and would allow use of a proper hub nut , but doesn't work with a luggage rack.

Pressing in the outer bearing track........

Starting with the nearside....the original Lockheed Caliper with Greenstuff slotted and grooved discs, which are showing signs of lack of use........

New and old.....these discs are amazing. Well engineered and an interference fit into the hub. Secured with five nuts & bolts.

Now the side you don't see....there are no instructions, but the assembly is self evident. The five threaded holes visible here are for cars which use a hub mounted speedometer sensor. In this case you would need to fit five short bolts into those holes. I've given everything a light smear of ACF50, except the disc faces of course.

The caliper.......

Pads in place. Held by two through pins and R clips, plus wire spring clips as an antirattle. Those R clips do like springing away if you let them!!!

And assembled. The old caliper is still plumbed in at this stage. Connecting the brake pipe was my final job. Amazingly not one drop of fluid came out while doing this. Usually there's a drip drip drip, when you break the circuit. There are two bleed nipples on each caliper. I didn't notice the inside one to begin with. Obviously the nipples are mounted at the top!

More to follow.......>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

#559376 - 12/02/19 03:12 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: DaveW]
DaveW Online   content
Roadster Guru

Part 2......................

Next the offside.......

This shows the inner bearing and oil seal.........

Caliper and pad details....

Fully asembled....

Too nice to use really!!!

Problems? Not really. I nearly lost an R clip when it made a bid for freedom. I missed the fact that there were two nipples per caliper, but the pedal came straight back anyway. When I'd finished the nearside I bled that side before staring on the offside.
I ended up bleeding more than I needed due to not double checking the rear flexible. It had a tiny leak at the union on the axle, so when everything was done, the pedal was very slowly sinking under pressure.

It almost got me thinking that the master cylinder needed re-rubbering. Having double checked all the front connections, I then found a damp patch on the axle and breathed a sigh of relief!

All done the old fashioned way with my bleed tube from 1972, which has just split and is no longer useable......

I can't wait to road test all these changes, but it looks like being the weekend before I can get out.

So you'll have to wait for the verdict on this, the Panhard Rod, and the Steering Damper!! grin2 thumbs

#559379 - 12/02/19 03:28 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: DaveW]
John V6 Offline

Loc: Suffolk
Looks good Dave. I hope it is an improvement.

#559381 - 12/02/19 03:32 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: DaveW]
DaveW Online   content
Roadster Guru

Data:

Bearing outer: NTN 4T-LM 11910 USA-D LW

Bearing inner: NTN 4T-LM 67010 USA-D MW

Oil Seal: 8B2-1.750 2.500 0.375 CNO 04114

Brake pipe inner wing: Pipe nut: 13mm. Under wing 16mm; Engine bay 17mm.

Hub nut: 1&3/16ths"
Caliper bolts: 19mm or 3/4"AF

#559392 - 12/02/19 04:48 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: DaveW]
CooperMan Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Yorkshire
looks good Dave

#559402 - 12/02/19 05:50 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: DaveW]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog

Loc: Salisbury, UK
A clear and lucid description, as usual.
I always felt the Roadster's brakes on the one we had were a bit underwhelming. They worked, but lacked feel.

I'm sure your new calliper and brake combination will be much better!

#559403 - 12/02/19 06:02 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: DaveW]
deano Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Taunton
Great account of your upgrade Dav. Looking forward to your feedback on the level of braking lmprovement.

#559434 - 12/02/19 07:30 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: DaveW]
Button Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, USA
When I converted My +8 Bitsa from Girling 2 puck to 300MM Wilwood 4 puck I improved the braking a lot. It was interesting, the procedure Wilwood specifies to break in the rotors and then a different procedure to break in the Wilwood pads. The rear drums are Chevy S10 (a little larger than Morgan issue) and have Porterfield linings. I used Wilwood because it is a U.S. Product. It required a bit of machining to install. If UK buy a UK product

#559437 - 12/02/19 07:35 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: Button]
Button Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, USA
Originally Posted By Button
When I converted My +8 Bitsa from Girling 2 puck to 300MM Wilwood 4 puck I improved the braking a lot. It was interesting, the procedure Wilwood specifies to break in the rotors and then a different procedure to break in the Wilwood pads. The rear drums are Chevy S10 (a little larger than Morgan issue) and have Porterfield linings. I used Wilwood because it is a U.S. Product. It required a bit of machining to install. If UK buy a UK product

BTW: The calipers scraped on the inside of the wheel. I used spacers to gain clearance. Make sure the wheel studs are long enough to do their jobs.

#559496 - 12/02/19 10:55 PM Re: Workshop Note: S1 Roadster Mulfab Brake Upgrade [Re: DaveW]
MOG 615 Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: London
Dave

Great diy guide as ever .

I must admit to being unclear as to whether you replaced the old bearings with new?

The high spec billet calipers must have changed slightly over time. Mine have the 2 pins and 2 "R" clips but the anti-rattle strips are not present.

I find that bleeding the calipers is best done starting with the inside nipple first and then working to the outside. I have found them quite sensitive to this procedure and even a small amount of air seems to give an "soft" pedal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon