Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online
16 registered (Wirewheel, Alistair, DavidR, PaulJ, DCH, Mac39, JMD, Rog G, TheCustomer, Bonesie, Pmh44, rv6, Bunny, pandy, teifistar, alb), 120 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Vehicle Lifts
When Your Wife Understands You...
Factory visit
Welcome home...
She’s revived
Newest Topics
Selling one of my Aero’s
by Shooter
19/04/19 06:54 PM
S5 Aero for sale
by Shooter
19/04/19 06:50 PM
ONE FOR NORTHERNMORGAN !!!!
by KEVFITZ
19/04/19 05:58 PM
JENKS "SPECIAL"
by KEVFITZ
19/04/19 05:54 PM
Pithy saying
by BobtheTrain
19/04/19 02:54 PM
Door striker plate removal
by CJB
19/04/19 02:00 PM
And you thought you had problems ?
by chocadoodledoo
19/04/19 01:15 PM
Newest Members
Roxy Plus4, RobCol, Rsglush, Michael Oritt, Rade Loos
6469 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,469 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,823 Topics
562,047 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Topic Options
#567450 - 19/03/19 05:27 PM MMC Sport Rack - spare wheel attachment
BobJ Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Buckinghamshire

I've had a spare wheel for my 4/4 80th Anniversary on order since the beginning of October together with the attachment to fit the wheel to the 4/4 Sport Rack (MLC0410).
The spare wheel is now with the dealer but they only have part of the attachment kit - the spacer and the T-bar despite getting the impression that it was in stock at the point of ordering frown
So I then start ringing round every Morgan dealer in the UK gradually working my way north on the dealer map. 'Been on back order since August'...."have you tried Melvyn'...'No sorry' were the stock responses.
I'd almost given up hope when one tells me he has the mounting plates but not the T bar or bolts etc. Hu-flippin'-rrah happy3 I can sort the bolts myself so happy days.
So the mounting plates have arrived but the reverse side of the top mounting plate doesn't look like this one which is on a dealers website:

The red arrow points to what looks like a metal block which presumably limits the extent to which the two halves of the bracket can be nipped up?? And that block is missing on the bracket that I've been supplied with.

Anyone with a spare wheel attachment kit on a sport rack mind enlightening me as what the green bit in the photo is? It may of course just be a bit of packing foam to stop the two halves rattling together in transit and is removed for fitment. I dunno -hence the request for help please.

Edited by BobJ (19/03/19 05:27 PM)

#567472 - 19/03/19 07:37 PM Re: MMC Sport Rack - spare wheel attachment [Re: BobJ]
Craig Jezz Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Oxon
Bob, I bought mine from Williamm last year, they were in stock at the time, the green bit in your image must be packaging

Morgan 4/4 Sports Sand (Williams & Wolf Tuned)

#567476 - 19/03/19 07:43 PM Re: MMC Sport Rack - spare wheel attachment [Re: BobJ]
atalante83 Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

#567663 - 20/03/19 07:02 PM Re: MMC Sport Rack - spare wheel attachment [Re: BobJ]
BobJ Offline
Just Getting Started

So the plot thickens somewhat. Craig went to the trouble of going out to his garage last night, removing his spare and forwarding me a couple of photos of his spare wheel attachment (much appreciated Craig - many thanks cheers)

Turns out that his attachment bracket has four bolts and the two halves sandwich up together thus:

Having re-examined mine on the rack there is no way that mine will butt up together like that without bending or breaking something. In other words - there is supposed to be a gap between them? Which brings me back to the green thing indicated by the red arrow in the top photo. Spacer or packaging?

The bag that my bits came in had the MMC part number on it and having looked at the pictures of the attachment kit on one of the on-line parts diagrams, they also have the three bolt attachment so I'm pretty confident I've got a Morgan part. Very odd..... confused

#569913 - 01/04/19 09:43 PM Re: MMC Sport Rack - spare wheel attachment [Re: BobJ]
BobJ Offline
Just Getting Started

Well I never did get to the bottom of this.

Having got the mounting brackets from one dealer and the T bar and spacer from another - turns out the threads were different on the T bar and welded nut on the lower bracket doh Took my problem to AW who had supplied neither part and they kindly re-tapped the nut to suit as the only tap/die set I have is metric.

Fitted the bracket over the weekend and ended up using M8 5mm spacers between the two halves of the bracket which allowed the two halves to nip up nice and tight but evened the pressure across the rack and mounting plates.

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon