As a backstory I fell in love with Morgans when I first saw Richard Hammond blasting around Dunsfold in the Aero 8 GTN.. fast forward quite a few years and I managed to acquire an Aero 8 of my own, an S1 but not a GTN.
Earlier this year I toyed with the idea of getting a GTN, but in all honesty the cost to change could have bought me a 3 Wheeler and a nice TVR (as well as keeping my S1!) so I figured it just wasn't worth the outlay for the extras.
So I decided being quite attached to my S1 that I may as well put some money into her for the love, and add some upgrades as well.
First off it was time to sort any little niggles, so I have had the following list of work done:
- Full service
- Rehung both front doors
- Reworked door handles/latches and hinges
- Replaced door and roof seals
- Replaced stereo and wiring, and front speakers
- Fixed any faults (electronics box)
However the most fun I have had was sourcing the holy grail of S1 items it seems...
a hardtop roof.
After a lot of time researching, making calls and putting my old detective skills to the test! I managed to acquire one..:
In place to check for rough fit width wise..i.e. make sure this is an S1 not an S2 roof:
I haven't had a chance to fit this properly, as the soft-top will need removing and its not a simple job - seals and clamps will need to be made up, glass found (if anyone has one...!), trimming, painting etc. I also need to come up with a solution to allow the old soft-top to be refitted if required, which will be easier said than done!
I anticipate this is likely to be a winter job, once done I am also looking into:
- Paintwork, roof will need doing so may as well have any other chips and marks taken care of at the same time.
- Wheels, with the hard top I think a gloss black will work better, as the Satin matches the current soft top.
- Brake upgrade
- Engine upgrades (I would like 330bhp)
- Interior retrim with some extras
Will keep you all updated, hopefully some of it might inspire a bit of extra Morgan tinkering!