Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (britmog, RB1), 148 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 203
John V6 132
Hamwich 99
Newest Topics
Painted or powdercoated front wheels
by LightSpeed. 12/11/19 09:33 PM
Deer crossing the road
by Moggo. 12/11/19 07:51 PM
Series 1 Morgan in Movie Breathe see here
by BuyBritish. 12/11/19 07:28 PM
Classic LM2014
by John07. 12/11/19 01:05 PM
2011/2012 MISCELLANY
by KEVFITZ. 12/11/19 10:17 AM
Classic Motor Hub, New Year’s Day
by Ricardo. 12/11/19 08:18 AM
reclining seats wanted please
by Grumpy2. 11/11/19 09:37 PM
Latest Photos
Keith's 4/4 resto
New 1913 Runabout replica in progress
Alloy spare wheel Cover
Williams teasing me
Production Car Trial (PCT)
Newest Members
jackOCD, Rsputt, Rob82, Sib, Baker
6750 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,591
Posts591,100
Members6,750
Most Online596
Nov 6th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
petrolcol, Slikdik
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: buying privately these days? [Re: rcmatt] #576743
15/05/19 09:48 PM
15/05/19 09:48 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire
Originally Posted By rcmatt
Originally Posted By Gambalunga
And I thought Italy had a ponderous bureaucratic system. Sounds like the UK is even worse. Never mind pollution, the whole world is doomed to disappear under a pile of virtual red tape.

These days even red tape is probably synthetic, non biodegradable and has a carbon footprint twice its own weight.

and then over here.... we have 50 states with 50 different sets of rules

So does it follow that if you relocate to another state you have to start all over again ?

If so this makes our system very straightforward and efficient. Cue amazed expression..

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

Re: buying privately these days? [Re: +8Rich] #576754
16/05/19 01:08 AM
16/05/19 01:08 AM
Largo, Florida, USA
Edwin Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Edwin  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Largo, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By +8Rich
And I thought Italy had a ponderous bureaucratic system. Sounds like the UK is even worse. Never mind pollution, the whole world is doomed to disappear under a pile of virtual red tape.

These days even red tape is probably synthetic, non biodegradable and has a carbon footprint twice its own weight.

So does it follow that if you relocate to another state you have to start all over again ?

If so this makes our system very straightforward and efficient. Cue amazed expression..

Yes! I'm in the process of buying an older Morgan in Ohio to take to Florida (my first Morgan) . Will need a new Title, plates, and registration. Will take multiple trip to the DMV most likely. The odometer is often challenged in this sort of scenario.

65 Plus 4 / 4 Seater, car addict
Re: buying privately these days? [Re: Edwin] #576763
16/05/19 06:30 AM
16/05/19 06:30 AM
Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Gambalunga Offline
Gambalunga  Offline

Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Unfortunately Australia is like that too. Transferring a vehicle from one state to another can be a nightmare, as some of our Oz TM members can testify. Licencing and vehicle registration should be a national thing.
At least in NSW the insurance and tax goes with the car when it is sold and the transfer of ownership can be sent by mail by either party, however, to be sure it happens, it is best for the seller to notify the authority. I would think anything to do with the seller retaining a vanity plate would have to be done before the vehicle is sold. In effect a buyer can turn up with cash, spend a few moments completing documents, get a receipt for the payment, and drive away.

Here in Italy, whilst administration is regional, all licencing and vehicle registration I applicable nationally. They have investigated vanity plates but at the moment they are not available in Italy. All plates are issued by the authority and it is not possible to have your own plates made. Older registration plates used to be coded for the Province: an old plate starting CO was issued in the Province of Como. All new EU plates are national.

When a car is sold a change of ownership must be done by an agency, even though the title is now only electronic, and you must present ID documents and personal tax number. This naturally involves some time, arrangement, and the inevitable fee. The vehicle tax goes with the car, whatever is left of the year paid to date. Whilst insurance is not for named drivers the new owner must arrange insurance.

If the change of ownership could be done by the seller and buyer online it would be much simpler but I think the Italian government wouldn't trust people to do it themselves.

Peter

[Linked Image]
Re: buying privately these days? [Re: Edwin] #576768
16/05/19 07:46 AM
16/05/19 07:46 AM
Köln, Germany
Heinz Online content
Part of the Furniture
Heinz  Online Content
Part of the Furniture

Köln, Germany
Originally Posted By Edwin

Yes! I'm in the process of buying an older Morgan in Ohio to take to Florida (my first Morgan) . Will need a new Title, plates, and registration. Will take multiple trip to the DMV most likely. The odometer is often challenged in this sort of scenario.

I have learned that e.g. in California a new car will keep its plate a whole life as long it is in California. If it is sold second hand to another US state it will get a new plate from there. What if a car goes back to California later on. Can it use its first original California plate again? E.g. a nice 60s black plate, or has it to be a new one?

'14 4/4 graphite grey
Re: buying privately these days? [Re: Edwin] #576772
16/05/19 08:25 AM
16/05/19 08:25 AM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire
Originally Posted By Edwin

Good luck with that, quite a performance but worth it in the end.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

Re: buying privately these days? [Re: Alistair] #576796
16/05/19 02:03 PM
16/05/19 02:03 PM
Renfrewshire
BobtheTrain Offline
Charter Member
BobtheTrain  Offline
Charter Member

Renfrewshire
Originally Posted By Alistair
I have been quite impressed by the ease and speed of DVLA. Compared to some Gov depts they are well organised.

You are lucky. It took them 5 and a half months to reinstate my Cat C1 licence. I certainly don't think that is well organised.

Best Regards
Lang may yer lum reek
Re: buying privately these days? [Re: howard] #576809
16/05/19 03:17 PM
16/05/19 03:17 PM
New River Valley, VA
rcmatt Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
rcmatt  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

New River Valley, VA
It even gets crazier with medical licenses (I am a physician) as each state has its own medical board and you have to have a license to do any practice in that state. I got my first license in Oregon as that is where I was a resident (I let that lapse). Then Oklahoma where I had my practice (still have that one). Then moved a few times after I got into Medical Education. So I currently have a Virginia license and have had (but lapsed) one in Pennsylvania and Texas.

Each board has a different set of rules for your application, an application fee and an annual or biannual license fee!

Unless, of course you work for the military, the VA or "Indian Health Service" in which case you work for the US government and "any state license" is all you need.

Last edited by rcmatt; 16/05/19 03:20 PM.

Rodger
2018 M3W "Dreamers on the Rise"
2004 Plus 8 (wife's)
old Goldwings and a couple of Harleys
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon