Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online Now
24 registered members (Andi H., BobJ, RedThree, Edwin, boxboxbox, Ian Wegg, John Winn, John Robie, +8Rich, DaveW, Rog G, DJC, M3W55, Stevo666, IcePack, Kevcaster, mogydon, Michael H, 2to3wheels, teifistar, Ross, Stringers Best Mate, kar120c, Richard Wood), 181 guests, and 40 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 242
John V6 188
Hamwich 129
Heinz 114
Newest Topics
RIP - Bob Willis
by MDS61. 05/12/19 06:07 PM
MMC - PCP for New Cars
by MDS61. 05/12/19 05:58 PM
Bulkhead fuse box cover
by John V6. 05/12/19 03:34 PM
Broken ignition key
by Farmer Giles. 05/12/19 03:30 PM
Plus 8 2004 electrics
by JMcL. 05/12/19 03:11 PM
Plus 8 1994: bleeding everything!
by Lawson. 05/12/19 02:26 PM
Latest Photos
Great Weather in Felixstowe
New M3W
Krazy Horse today
Mid 80`s  +8 oil cooler install
Morgan in Pembrokeshire
Newest Members
A-bit-of-a-geek, Gazza7, hagen111, Mike3WP4, Orestes
6775 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,746
Posts594,260
Members6,775
Most Online723
Dec 5th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Mdtech12
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
suspension and shocks #588349
03/08/19 08:15 AM
03/08/19 08:15 AM
Chester, UK
Grumpy2 Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
Grumpy2  Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On

Chester, UK
Now the cooling issue seems solved my attention moves to suspension.

I'm a serial improver/tinkerer/fiddler and intend to rejuvenate the suspension over the next few months, no rush though.

I've seen Rog's bump stops and hope to fit these but the state of my shock absorbers suggests they haven't been changed sine 1994 when the car was manufactured.

A little research suggests Rutherford/AVO are the ones to have but the links on gomog have expired. Is my information correct and uptodate? I've used GAZ shocks on several classic cars with excellent results, are these any good on a morgan?

Suggestions for shocks and suppliers welcomed as well as any other thoughts

thanks

Gary

94 plus 8 in Westminster Green - I think!
Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588351
03/08/19 08:28 AM
03/08/19 08:28 AM
Llanelli
sospan Offline
Talk Morgan Sage
sospan  Offline
Talk Morgan Sage

Llanelli
https://www.newelms.com/
Here is a link. I fitted AVOs from Tim on my Plus8.
When fitting rear shocks do the rear top fittings from above as easy access for that bolt.Remove the rear shelf and tool tray (if fitted).

Red Plus8
Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588352
03/08/19 08:34 AM
03/08/19 08:34 AM
Chester, UK
Grumpy2 Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
Grumpy2  Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On

Chester, UK
thanks for the swift reply - found the website but no prices

did you find a significant improvement?

Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588354
03/08/19 08:40 AM
03/08/19 08:40 AM
Carmarthen
teifistar Online content
Learner Plates Off!
teifistar  Online Content
Learner Plates Off!

Carmarthen
Try this link for a price list.
https://www.newelms.com/wp-content/...etail-Price-List-Page-1-continuation.pdf

Had the hardened chrome king pins fitted, new springs and AVO shocks all round and a Panhard rod. Tim Ayres is very helpful, give him a ring for a chat.

Last edited by teifistar; 03/08/19 08:42 AM.

"Hasta la victoria siempre"
Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588355
03/08/19 08:43 AM
03/08/19 08:43 AM
Chester, UK
Grumpy2 Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
Grumpy2  Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On

Chester, UK
brill, thanks

I was in college in Carmarthen back in the 70's! Fond memories.

Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588357
03/08/19 08:55 AM
03/08/19 08:55 AM
B
brownbaker Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
brownbaker  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
B

I needed new shocks for my 4/4 with the Rutherford Panard Bar fitted.Tried Demon Tweeks and Williams they could not really help.Gave New Elms a call could not be more helpful.They arrived within a day once payment received.
Gary are you a member of DevaMog?

Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588359
03/08/19 09:03 AM
03/08/19 09:03 AM
Chester, UK
Grumpy2 Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
Grumpy2  Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On

Chester, UK
Not yet,

Long story but I'm still a member of the Stag OC. As I only allow myself one club membership at a time I'm holding off on DevaMog until September when my SOC expires.

I enjoy meeting like minded folk in person which the SOC struggles to facilitate.

Arwyn has contacted me about meetings in Holt, about 20 mins from me. Sounds promising

Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588366
03/08/19 11:19 AM
03/08/19 11:19 AM
Llanelli
sospan Offline
Talk Morgan Sage
sospan  Offline
Talk Morgan Sage

Llanelli
I had original Kohni shocks. One rear had failed so I replaced all 4. To set the Kohnis they had to be removed and set by compressing/turning. The internal mechanisms were weak and easily broken on heavy bumps.
The AVOs are easily adjusted on the car and offer a wider range of settings so you can tune them to your preference. I initially set mine at 4 clicks front and 1 rear. Fronts adjusted to 6 and rears on 2 now. A definite improvement.
An important point is lubricating the leaf springs. Chain lube (spray on) is a widely reccomended one. Also regular kingpin greasing.

Red Plus8
Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588370
03/08/19 12:31 PM
03/08/19 12:31 PM
Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Gambalunga Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
Gambalunga  Offline
Member of the Inner Circle

Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Just a tip on adjusting dampers. It is best to go the full hard and adjust x number of clicks back towards soft. Most people start from fully soft and go an equal number of clicks on both sides towards hard. Due to manufacturing tolerances this could mean that one side is different to the other unless the total number of turns is identical on both shocks. Typically they are not identical and will vary by 1 to 3 clicks. I am not pointing at any particular manufacturer here but just passing on the advice received in a phone call that I made to the manufacturer of my shocks.

My car was originally fitted, from new, with GAZ shocks fitted by Aero Racing. When I fitted the uprated suspension I passed them on to a friend. My impression was that they were fairly good but I have no experience of other shocks fitted to the standard suspension.

Peter

[Linked Image]
Re: suspension and shocks [Re: Grumpy2] #588373
03/08/19 01:14 PM
03/08/19 01:14 PM
L
Luddite Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Luddite  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
L

Grumpy 2, ANYTHING I type may be well past it`s sell-by date, thus perhaps a pinch of salt required. blush

I did however spend an inordinate amount of time in the interweb some years back reading of all sorts of Morgan problems and trying to help solve some. I was ever amazed at some of the "improvements" that people inflicted upon their poor old Morgans... and of course paying out quite a bit of time money and effort so to do and then selling them on as the end product did not match the dream when the sump of the new more performant engine hit the deck all to often due to a lack of clearance, and of course the thing was ever overheating whenever a bit of flat open road could be found... how did it handle and stop with all that extra weight and power... I ever watched as the list of tasks relative to the improvements grow and grow as the knock-on (or domino) effect took hold..

There are no doubt that improvements can be made on older Trads by selecting better materials for certain tasks than those which might have been fitted originally, but looking at the max suspension travel on a Morgan front and back it seems unlikely that you might smooth out the ride to any great degree within those limitations imposed by the original design, assuming not much has been modified already.. Once you have spent a few hundred or more, you might then consider the "upgrade" was well worth the cash spent..at least when you are trying to justify to your good lady how much you spent.. laugh2

I seem to remember reading on GoMoG some time back a suggestion to remove the front shockers completely and take it for a drive down a quiet road you know well, and see how much difference the shocks make to the ride quality...? Though my guess is it might be best to choose other than a smooth road surface and do not drive too fast... I have never done it... but apparently it has been reported that little of no difference was felt...?????

While you have the shocks off the car try extend and compress them as quick as you can, should be really difficult and do both feel similar in terms of resistance to your attempts at movement both ways.. If so perhaps you could be wasting money...? More so if your comparator is the suspension "feel" you became used to when driving a Triumph Sla...err...Stag... innocent

I have read of folk trying to find replacement shocks that fitted but were limited in their compression stroke to the extent that the shocks acted as a bump stop transferring a fair bit of extra strain to the mountings and reducing the life of the shockers...and creating handling issues in the process..

The shockers on my mid 80`s +8 are Koni.... does it handle like a limmo, in a word... err.. NO. Would I want it to...err...NO smile

Don't know the age of your car or how many miles travelled but might be worth checking to see if your springs have sagged with age/use, before splashing the cash on shockers..? Though from a dull memory do not be too surprised if the ride height differs a tad from one side to the other.... it is a Morgan after all, and if it has spent more time on the road with no passenger, then the springs may be found to have sagged a bit (more) on the drivers side thus reducing the ride height on that side..?

Good luck in your choices hope they work out well and may make you a tad less grumpy... smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon