Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (rossocorsa, tommog), 80 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 269
John V6 113
Newest Topics
Steering wheel support
by atalante83. 23/10/19 04:17 PM
Best rust covering paint ?
by IvorMog. 23/10/19 11:53 AM
King pin greasing
by Carrotious. 23/10/19 11:29 AM
S1 Digital mileometer - help please
by gmcn. 23/10/19 10:16 AM
A Single Seater?
by Jon G4LJW. 23/10/19 08:09 AM
Visit to Heritage Museum at RAF Scampton
by DaveW. 22/10/19 08:59 PM
AMG...has lost the plot?
by MDS61. 22/10/19 07:57 PM
Latest Photos
Sport Blue
Le Mans Classic 2017 pics
Denis
Autumn Sunshine
TURBO TRAD..?
Newest Members
Hare, David Almond, AMD, Hendyboy, Jays ex Nero
6732 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,449
Posts588,496
Members6,732
Most Online569
Sep 8th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: madmax] #594223
09/09/19 06:48 PM
09/09/19 06:48 PM
Llanelli
Ray Offline
Part of the Furniture
Ray  Offline
Part of the Furniture

Llanelli
It would be wonderful if we could see a Petersen, Racing Green, original blower and a Bentley replica parked together. Just a dream.

.+8 Now gone for a 1800 4/4. Duratec in bright yellow.
Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: DaveW] #594224
09/09/19 06:52 PM
09/09/19 06:52 PM
Taunton
deano Offline
Charter Member
deano  Offline
Charter Member

Taunton
Originally Posted by DaveW
A late friend of ours built a nine car garage at the bottom of his garden. His house was an old three bed semi.

Now that's the garage to house ratio I dream of.

Martin (Deano)
Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: Ray] #594245
09/09/19 09:24 PM
09/09/19 09:24 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire
Originally Posted by Ray
It would be wonderful if we could see a Petersen, Racing Green, original blower and a Bentley replica parked together. Just a dream.

I'd like to see that spectacle too.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: madmax] #594297
10/09/19 08:02 AM
10/09/19 08:02 AM
Hampshire
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Alistair  Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Talk Morgan Sage

Hampshire
Okay I might have come over as a bit more miserable than I really am there. I probably need to correct that.

At the end of the day If someone wants to invest wads of money and gives some highly skilled individuals a job making a vanity project then good for them. It does keep some (fast becoming rare) highly skilled people in a job. Things like the limited edition 300mph Bugatti I find just beyond understanding. As mentioned above I just wish they would drive the darn things and let others see the beauty of them, not just onto a trailer for pebble beach or some such event.As a child things like seeing a Trad +8 in the school car park left a mark and I wonder if seeing a Toyota Camry is ever going to do the same....

I have no problem with people like RUF, Singer or Voitures Extrovert making Porsches something that the designer/engineer did not have in mind from day one.
I love people who spend time restoring and then using traditional machines as daily as is practical. Ironically its almost the definition of a Morgan Trad.
I also think recreations like the Chesil http://chesil.biz/Chesil_Pre-Owned.htm make a lot of sense in this bland volume world.

I just don't get the milk-them-for-all-they-are-worth PR stuff. For me it lowers the credibility of the brand. Make the next car even better, not the last one to desperately boost your brand.

Yet I will wear a reasonably expensive watch and have two Morgans so who I am kidding, it is all a matter of perspective. I am lucky and hard working, who is to say they are not. I will go and eat my hat now, who has the salt.

Just time to burn a little more petrol before dinner.
Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: madmax] #594314
10/09/19 09:23 AM
10/09/19 09:23 AM
norfolk, UK
L
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
lowebird  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
L

norfolk, UK
Don't beat yourself up Alistair, your comments were perfectly reasonable but I'm concerned that you only have one watch!! Surely a chap of your status would have a collection?

Here for a good time not a long time!!
Reg
Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: pandy] #594315
10/09/19 09:25 AM
10/09/19 09:25 AM
norfolk, UK
L
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
lowebird  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
L

norfolk, UK
Originally Posted by pandy
Totally agree with you Reg; as in the case of a Suffolk SS100 like yours, the fact that it will be more reliable, more useable in everyday traffic and that its worth tens rather than hundreds of thousands (so less stressful for public parking & so on), makes it in many ways more attractive to me than the genuine article.

Giles, I only wish that the Suffolk SS100 was 10's of thousands. Time has moved on and we are now into the 100 thousand plus bracket but it's still better than the £631K that the last original one sold for.

Here for a good time not a long time!!
Reg
Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: madmax] #594332
10/09/19 10:35 AM
10/09/19 10:35 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Luddite  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
L

I often watch the US car prog on TV where the presenter is a chap called Wayne Corrini (Spelling Boab..?) the prog is called Chasing Classic Cars... I am somewhat astounded by the size and scope of some of the collections that some folk in the US have... and I really do wonder at how much enjoyment there might be in being the owner of such a collection, for me, I think not much, but then I am but a simple creature of simple pleasures and perhaps that I lack not only the cash reserves to own such a collection but also may be restricted in terms of my sense of imagination...?

I try to expand my thinking as opposed to narrowing it down to find frustration or fault, though I am not always successful in that..sigh. However one of the collections on the above show was of 90 cars and the time had come to sell.. whether through death or illness as often seems to be the case on the prog, though what pleasure is/was there in owning 95 cars... Should there be some sort of law that demands each and every one of them is driven.. ? (-:

OK, OK so when I try to widen my thinking I end up imagining what if I had a harem... even as a MUCH younger man 95 objects of desire... I doubt servicing laid-up cars would be a simpler option but even then..!!! (-:

I suspect that I do not suffer from envy in my make-up may be advantageous when looking at the priorities of those with what seems like enormous amounts of wealth. I have at least one rather wealthy acquaintance who sold his company for a reputed 600mil... Dollars and not Pounds, so not such a big deal... (-: He has two Lambos one being the latest incarnation, a 928, and a full race Dodge Viper, which he had rebuilt after rolling it numerous times and ending up against a rock in some mad desert race in the US, I suspect he "drives" his other cars too.. But there are bound to be those who think having two recent Lambos is just plain daft...?

Have another friend with two Porsche 911`s (964 RS and a 997) who rarely drives them, but has a large garage built for him to work on them, with a two post ramp to assist in that process, I am sure some folk could find fault in his modus operandi thinking that if they had a similar options available they could make FAR better use of whatever..??

As for the Bentleys and others mentioned I have to admit to almost getting to the stage of drooling on my keyboard, I am not averse to the occasional pic of a pretty lady too... BUT, I am more than happy to have around me that which I have, and my old Morgan while not in anybody`s eyes a true vintage car, it provides all the vintage related fun I desire of it and perhaps with a great deal less fuss bother and cost, than a 30`s LM Bentley, Bugatti or anything else I might care to flirt with the idea of ownership...

If you converted cash to cars in terms of an improved investment over miserable bank interest rates, I am not too sure how that might work out, given those with such "investments" seem more than likely to be baby boomers who by means fair or foul may be due to drop off the perch over the next few years, myself included, which I suspect may well alter values of much, and in the classic car market, perhaps more than most given all the climate change thinking and advances in electric vehicle design and capability..Hmm...?

Perhaps the best returns on a Morgan is just to enjoy it in whatever way YOU choose.... ME..? Such are the returns already delivered in terms of ownership of my Morgan that I feel it owes me nothing, and that would seem to be a reasonably happy state of affairs...?

As ever just thinking in type without any intent to annoy anyone. hide oldgit

Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: Alistair] #594414
10/09/19 04:50 PM
10/09/19 04:50 PM
H
howard Offline
Part of the Furniture
howard  Offline
Part of the Furniture
H

Originally Posted by Alistair
Missing serial numbers, recreation editions. Talk about sheep of a feather flocking together. I would never suggest this is a cynical marketing campaign by profit driven vendors to raise their profile and empty the bank of money from over-ambitious collectors instead of focusing on the road ahead....No not me.....never.

Is there something wrong with that approach? Capitalism is based on giving people what they want and if that is expensively recreated blower Bentley so be it. By the way an outfit called Peters on in Cornwall already do just that.

Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: howard] #594416
10/09/19 04:52 PM
10/09/19 04:52 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire
It's Bob Petersen Howard and they are in Devon not far from me I put the link on earlier in the thread..

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

Re: New Blower Bentley [Re: Luddite] #594466
10/09/19 09:57 PM
10/09/19 09:57 PM
Renfrewshire
BobtheTrain Offline
Charter Member
BobtheTrain  Offline
Charter Member