Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
14 registered members (Dean-Royal, Rovert, Marmota, rcmatt, HJP, Arwyn Williams, N22MOG, Malcolm T, +8Rich, Håkan Carlsson, M3W55, Gordon D, Eddie Cairns, Alan_Bass), 151 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 175
John V6 145
Hamwich 108
Newest Topics
Brake suppliers
by TBM. 18/11/19 02:26 PM
Ferrari vs. Ferrari
by Heinz. 18/11/19 11:58 AM
Dave W. - looking forward for a second book!
by xc68anc. 17/11/19 08:47 PM
Windscreen Washer Tubing Under-Dash
by DaveW. 17/11/19 02:31 PM
spares
by rockabilly john. 17/11/19 01:18 PM
5 speeder parts wanted
by Phil Bleazey. 17/11/19 11:50 AM
New Roadster Spec at last.
by Quicksilver. 17/11/19 08:49 AM
Latest Photos
A teaser...?
Exelent Morgan weather.
TM at Haynes
Keith's 4/4 resto
New 1913 Runabout replica in progress
Newest Members
Farmer Giles, Mike pomfrett, JanBirger, esomann66, Hdnut
6760 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,627
Posts591,804
Members6,760
Most Online596
Nov 6th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: howard] #595595
18/09/19 09:13 AM
18/09/19 09:13 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Luddite  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
L

I guess for those of us who can remember a time when either coal milk or the rag and bone man used to have a horse and cart, and live anywhere near a large population, that we will have lived through interesting times and witnessed the increase in exponential car ownership in more recent years, and unless the whole country is tarred over, I suspect those folk who seem to need to drive for whatever reason will ever clog up the less than adequate amount of road space available...?

I guess I feel fortunate in that being retired I no longer need to drive as much as once I did, and can now pick my time when it comes to driving for the pure pleasure of the experience, and as has been mentioned, if at all possible then picking the best TIME to avoid the masses seems to have the most potential to minimise the possibility of suffering frustration, which with ever more cars on the road is no doubt becoming more difficult..?

My good lady and I have enjoyed the pleasures of driving in Southern Europe on a number of occasions in our Morgan, all of which were felt to be adventures, the last of which was some years back, however we did venture down to LeMans for the Classic in my better half`s 4x4 last year and boy was the air-con VERY much needed at LM..!! After the race we headed South and toured around a bit, visited friends and then headed back across the channel, for the stage in the trip we were least looking forward to, having suffered the drive through the length of England with a long diversion off the main road into Portsmouth as some poor unfortunate met his end on the main road in thus closing it ..The hope was that a mid evening drive back up North might be a tad less hectic.... WRONG.. Much of the motorway network was closed with diversions off through towns and villages following lines of trucks engaged in the same process, no fun whatsoever when all you want is to get home... I suspect had we not been in the relative comfort of the 4x4 the journey would have been even more tedious..

So yeah, I can tune in to your frustration to some degree Howard, I could easily give up driving for pleasure were I forced to face tedious slow moving traffic for mile after mile breathing in the exhaust fumes before I found a free bit of Tarmac, great that those who may have become used to such evolutionary processes can and do still find fun in driving their Morgan in such situations. I feel fortunate that such is not the case for me living just outside the perimeter of suburbia, for if I get the timing right I can almost have at least some of the road to myself..

On the other hand since the birth of, and increasing use of social media, even the quiet places may be quiet no more... picking the right time seems key, but keep it to yourself, or social media might even change that too... OOPS, too late... laugh2

I tend to try to factor in dash cam thinking should I come across an interesting and well known bit of tarmac. I also have to consider that one of my favoured tight "Z" bends these days is likely to have tourists on foot on the very narrow verges except in the early hours of the morning or later in the evening... and that on the straighter sections of road while at the speed limit, there will ever be those who speed up to catch up with you to have a better look, driving far too close behind...etc.etc.etc. If you are the type to become overly frustrated I doubt that is likely to improve any such situation

I suspect in choosing to drive a Morgan one chooses to be a tad different for many possible reasons, and I suspect different has many connotations in the minds of those who may lean towards envy or are just happy to see a Morgan parked up or being enjoyed, It is indeed an added pleasure for me to see my old Morgan bring a smile to the faces of strangers.

Each to their own.. oldgit

Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: howard] #595644
18/09/19 02:53 PM
18/09/19 02:53 PM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Member of the Inner Circle

Salisbury, UK
I still enjoy driving...even the A35 to Tesco, but the +8 early in the morning, especially Sunday before the world wakes up.

The SW of England has many great roads: a few are to be avoided, top of the list is the A303 west of Amesbury over summer weekends and especially on Friday.
BUT, use of a map and a bit of imagination opens up miles of super roads in Devon and Dorset. Dorset is the only County in England not to have a Motorway or Motorway grade A Road in it.
The best alternative to the A303 is the old A30....

BUT even Motorways can be fun when the traffic is light. Returning from Williams recently Waze suggested that rather than the A36, as usual, I take the M4 to Swindon and then the A338 down through Marlborough to Salisbury. A delightful drive, it took 1hr 50mins, about the usual time.

The moment driving becomes a chore is the time to find another hobby, I feel.

Peter,
Tarka the 'Otter Mog
2014 Plus 8

Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: Peter J] #595651
18/09/19 03:01 PM
18/09/19 03:01 PM
Hampshire
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Alistair  Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Talk Morgan Sage

Hampshire
Originally Posted by Peter J
I still enjoy driving...even the A35 to Tesco, but the +8 early in the morning, especially Sunday before the world wakes up.

Go on, just get the sidepipes and fix that "before they wake up" problem as well.... laugh2

Just time to burn a little more petrol before dinner.
Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: howard] #595659
18/09/19 03:14 PM
18/09/19 03:14 PM
North of Stamford, UK
H
HeadlessBlue Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
HeadlessBlue  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
H

North of Stamford, UK
Great question Howard
I almost find the little 20-40 mile drives around the villages nearby a bit frustrating coz I’m only just getting going when I’ve got back home!
I truly love the long distance trips, particularly when the satnav on my iPhone decides to take me round the back roads (as recently experienced on our trip through the Dales). Blaming the satnav means I don’t get into trouble when we come off motorways. I find the driving so exhilarating it is really only bladders that mean occasionally having to stop for me (admittedly not quite the same for Her Ladyship). Compared to my Audi, the experience is so satisfying, adrenaline pumping, physical and generally a lot slower than it actually feels like (so get less speeding tickets), I genuinely cannot across in the right words how much I enjoy it!!!!
Nonetheless, regardless of M, A or B road I love every second. It’s such a hoot. I am jealous of all the cars overtaking with the passengers looking like owls as they turn to look, coz they get to see even more of Florence than I can see from the driving seat. However, as mentioned earlier, nothing beats that view down the bonnet, over the louvres and the headlights. Flippin lush!
HB

Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: howard] #595664
18/09/19 03:32 PM
18/09/19 03:32 PM
Northamptonshire UK
Stringers Best Mate Offline
Talk Morgan Sage
Stringers Best Mate  Offline
Talk Morgan Sage

Northamptonshire UK
Originally Posted by howard
Or just owning it?

The comments from Robbie in the driving to Sweden thread reminded me how little I had enjoyed my recent car club outing to Fowey. The hotel was good, the company excellent, but the driving was simply frustrating. I doubt that we averaged 30mph on the M5 from Exeter to South wales and even when we got off the motorways, speed was badly held back by traffic. There simply are too many cars on our roads by a factor of 3 at least.

Maybe we shouldnt expect driving to be fun any longer. Maybe its is just a means of getting from A to B. I suspect that for many drivers it is just that - they get into their personal transport pod ( 3 door hatch), engage the "infotainment" and go catatonic until arrival at Tesco.

Well, do you? And I dont just mean a quick 15 mile Sunday morning trip round the lcal villages . Do you enjoy a 200 mile journey in the Mog?

Last part first, unequivocally yes give the right timings and circumstances.

But you make a good point & the roads are simply crammed these days. I enjoy my motorbikes on roads less travelled, and absolutely love my Transporter for everything else. I'm just lucky enough to have the odd times to meet odd friends of a like mind..

Steve
Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: howard] #595748
19/09/19 09:09 AM
19/09/19 09:09 AM
norfolk, UK
L
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
lowebird  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
L

norfolk, UK
I'm with you Steve. The big red double decker is the only way to travel around town but given an open, flowing road, yes and yes again. I absolutely love driving, it's the interation between man and machine rather like sailing or indeed winding a nice mechanical watch. Better than stuff I've never tried!!!

Here for a good time not a long time!!
Reg
Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: howard] #595754
19/09/19 09:30 AM
19/09/19 09:30 AM
Llanelli
sospan Offline
Talk Morgan Sage
sospan  Offline
Talk Morgan Sage

Llanelli
We are away on holiday tomorrow. Today I will be going out for a “pre holiday anti missing the Mog” drive. Not a long drive but an attempt to ward off a cold turkey feeling while away.
An excuse to pick up last minute items, fill up with petrol before the Saudi refinery attack affects prices, take the dog for a walk, anything else I can think of as justification other than just feeding the NEED.
drive

Red Plus8
Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: howard] #595800
19/09/19 03:34 PM
19/09/19 03:34 PM
Co Wexford, Ireland
Robbie Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
Robbie  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Co Wexford, Ireland
I’ve just driven from Sarlat-la-Canéda in southern France up to Le Mans in my Plus4, avoiding the autoroutes - almost 6 hours duration— and enjoyed every Km - really special when the passengers in cars and vans lean out of the window as they pass to take a photo of the Mog.

What’s there not to love about a drive in the Mog

Robbie
2018 Plus4 - The Black Pearl
181-WX-3082

"Fettlebodge"-- chief of the PaddyMogs
Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: Robbie] #595826
19/09/19 05:35 PM
19/09/19 05:35 PM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Peter J  Offline
Member of the Inner Circle

Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted by Robbie
............What’s there not to love about a drive in the Mog

Absolutely nothing.

Tomorrow looks like a nice day. I have nothing that must be done tomorrow, so it is a Tarka Day.
I will return, after a hundred to two hundred miles or so, happy, a bit windswept and looking forward to the next time.

I like driving interesting cars.
What is an interesting car?
I have no logical answer... it is a car that grabs my attention and makes me smile, I think. Nothing to do with performance, price, or anything that is a material thing.
All about emotion, passion, even.

Peter,
Tarka the 'Otter Mog
2014 Plus 8

Re: do you enjoy driving your toy? [Re: Alistair] #595827
19/09/19 05:39 PM
19/09/19 05:39 PM
East Anglia
madmax Online happy
Part of the Furniture
madmax  Online Happy
Part of the Furniture

East Anglia
Originally Posted by Alistair
Originally Posted by Peter J

Go on, just get the sidepipes and fix that "before they wake up" problem as well.... laugh2

Sidepipes are addictive ! arr

Last edited by madmax; 19/09/19 05:40 PM.

Geneva 2016 plus 8' The Green Godess' 4 side exits .

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon