Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
19 registered members (Rudolf, CooperMan, lord-richfield, John07, Moggo, Heinz, boxboxbox, Mark H, +8Rich, RB1, Marmota, mal, kankeL, IcePack, Tresco, PaulJ, Themorganeer, M3W55, Scrambledsignals), 235 guests, and 39 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 181
John V6 144
Hamwich 101
Newest Topics
Windscreen Washer Tubing Under-Dash
by DaveW. 17/11/19 02:31 PM
spares
by rockabilly john. 17/11/19 01:18 PM
5 speeder parts wanted
by Phil Bleazey. 17/11/19 11:50 AM
New Roadster Spec at last.
by Quicksilver. 17/11/19 08:49 AM
One for Gary?
by Graham, G4FUJ. 17/11/19 08:44 AM
Morganeers at reifen.com Mainz
by xc68anc. 17/11/19 08:15 AM
Ford vs. Ferrari
by Heinz. 16/11/19 11:33 PM
Latest Photos
TM at Haynes
Keith's 4/4 resto
New 1913 Runabout replica in progress
Alloy spare wheel Cover
Williams teasing me
Newest Members
Farmer Giles, Mike pomfrett, JanBirger, esomann66, Hdnut
6760 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,621
Posts591,671
Members6,760
Most Online596
Nov 6th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: Grumpy2] #596150
22/09/19 08:43 AM
22/09/19 08:43 AM
Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Gambalunga Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
Gambalunga  Offline

Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
We have gravel in our courtyard and it is a damn nuisance. The gravel get caught in people's shoes, particularly those with a tractor tread sole, and gets traipsed into the house.

I would suggest open block pavers, the type that grass can grow out of the holes. Looks good and if the grass needs a trim you can still run over it with the lawnmower. Needs to be well laid on a good base or it can finish up uneven where the car runs over it..

Peter

[Linked Image]
Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: Grumpy2] #596151
22/09/19 08:53 AM
22/09/19 08:53 AM
norfolk, UK
L
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
lowebird  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
L

norfolk, UK
Default drive in Norfolk is gravel. helps with surface water drainage and is dead cheap. Does make jacking the car up a bit of a lottery though.

Here for a good time not a long time!!
Reg
Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: Grumpy2] #596167
22/09/19 11:21 AM
22/09/19 11:21 AM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog

Salisbury, UK
We have block pavers. unsealed.
Most of the drive is laid on a Hoggin base, but the central zone, where the cars sit, is on concrete with reinforcement.
Not what the planners really like, but as it replaced a tarmac drive it is a lot more porous!

The sealing gives a finish I didn't like. I pressure wash the surface every 2 years.

Peter,
Tarka the 'Otter Mog
2014 Plus 8

Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: John V6] #596168
22/09/19 12:19 PM
22/09/19 12:19 PM
C
ChrisConvertible Offline
L - Learner Plates On
ChrisConvertible  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
C

Originally Posted by John V6

We found the stencilled concrete very slippy in winter (we lived in the Chilterns & the drive was a steep hill). Also the sealant is a solvent based fluid that I think gives you an exposure to chemicals you don't really need.

My drive has a 1 in 2 slope, 10 metre drop over 20 metres. Yes you really need the ground up glass in it, it makes a huge difference. The first time I sealed my driveway I got a headache from the stuff, the stuff I use now is probably still solvent based but I didn't notice any smell or headaches at all.

Nice car, is it black or very dark green?

Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: Grumpy2] #596170
22/09/19 12:54 PM
22/09/19 12:54 PM
Suffolk
John V6 Online content
John V6  Online Content

Suffolk
I never had the ground up glass to add. I can see that could help .
Our was a right bastard when icy. Many times I have slid gently to the bottom and had to pull myself up the tin top to get in to go to work at 06:00 weekdays when I went to Reckitt & Colman on the Hogarth roundabout.

The car was on loan from Krazy Horse . It is a 3.7l Roadster with there straight through side pipes. Too loud for me. The colour is black.

JohnV6
2006 Indigo Blue Roadster S1
Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: Grumpy2] #596176
22/09/19 01:54 PM
22/09/19 01:54 PM
Derby
P
PhilRoyle Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
PhilRoyle  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
P

Derby
We got a resin bound drive last year and it has been great - you can choose colours etc it is permeable and since having it installed we have not had a single puddle . I have jacked the car on it with no indentations. Oil etc. just goes with a scrub with washing up liquid - our is light coloured but they can do any colour. There is resin bound and resin bonded - with one they put the gravel down and then pour resin on top - this is not permeable - the other one is mixed with resin and then laid down on top of the prepared surface. We are on clay and suffered puddles etc. when it rained - but nothing at all this year even in the downpours of Biblical proportions. Not cheap but guaranteed 10 years.

2010 4/4 sport - le mans green
Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: Grumpy2] #596178
22/09/19 02:07 PM
22/09/19 02:07 PM
C
ChrisConvertible Offline
L - Learner Plates On
ChrisConvertible  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
C

Yes the ground up glass makes a huge difference, the issue is trying to get it thin enough to not really be noticeable but thick enough to give good grip, you throw it on like feeding chickens. The first time I resealed I didn't use it and it was very slippery. I now go for the thicker to not slip approach and not care if I can see it glitter. I would rather not slip over walking on it, especially when taking out the wheelie bin, or have courier drivers leave black skid marks on the driveway that are extremely hard to clean.

I initially wanted pavers but on the slope no-one would guarantee their work to not sink, plus they wanted a lot more than the stamped concrete. I was tempted to do pavers myself but I was still finishing off the house and needed a driveway to keep my wife happy as we moved in probably in the wettest year we have had. Getting up there when it was mud was almost impossible, i would go to the end of the street, check for no cars, accelerate like an idiot to hit the bottom of the driveway at 80kph and hope to slide to the top.

What really annoyed me is no-one mentioned that the stamped concrete needed re-sealing when giving me quotes. We had the patio area out the back done a couple of years later and that is when I was told I should re-seal the driveway and was quoted $3,000 probably because they don't like doing it. If I realised stamped concrete needed constant re-sealing that would cost me nearly $1000 in sealer every few years I might have tried the paving it myself option.

OK, yes I find a lot of cars too loud, mine included. Black does look nice with the red side screens.

Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: Grumpy2] #596203
22/09/19 04:47 PM
22/09/19 04:47 PM
howard Offline
Part of the Furniture
howard  Offline
Part of the Furniture

You need planning for an impermiable drive if you dony have one already. Proper block paving looks OK but is a maintenance issue with weeds in the gaps and cant really be surfaced sealed. As for the Stag, I had one for 30 years and no oil leaks at all. Even after I had taken the engine out and rebuilt it plus the auto box. It should be a leaky engine properly maintained but knowing the effort involved in rmoving the engine I can understand you leaving it alone

A friend has that stencuilled / moulded / coloured concrete with a sealed ( and shiny) finish. IMO it looks horrible.

Why not go for gravel. The oil will sink in, you can always rake it and if nevessary lob on another sack full.

Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: Gambalunga] #596226
22/09/19 06:53 PM
22/09/19 06:53 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
We have gravel in our courtyard and it is a damn nuisance. The gravel get caught in people's shoes, particularly those with a tractor tread sole, and gets traipsed into the house.

I would suggest open block pavers, the type that grass can grow out of the holes. Looks good and if the grass needs a trim you can still run over it with the lawnmower. Needs to be well laid on a good base or it can finish up uneven where the car runs over it..

Had blocks at the last house, the dark red bordered by dark grey. Looked smart and put down with a decent depth foundation of MOT Type1 - so no sagging. The current house came with gravel that was new just before we moved in - well what a complete PITA!! It’s everywhere, traipsed in the house, garage, out across the path. Constantly having to rake the deeper parts about and the two range rovers pound it into whatever mess Is underneath. You can’t kneel on it or put anything down that you care about. Other than being cheap - it’s a total dud!

Re: drives - the type in front of your house [Re: howard] #596247
22/09/19 10:59 PM
22/09/19 10:59 PM
Chester, UK
Grumpy2 Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
Grumpy2  Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On

Chester, UK
Originally Posted by howard
You need planning for an impermiable drive if you dony have one already. Proper block paving looks OK but is a maintenance issue with weeds in the gaps and cant really be surfaced sealed. As for the Stag, I had one for 30 years and no oil leaks at all. Even after I had taken the engine out and rebuilt it plus the auto box. It should be a leaky engine properly maintained but knowing the effort involved in rmoving the engine I can understand you leaving it alone

A friend has that stencuilled / moulded / coloured concrete with a sealed ( and shiny) finish. IMO it looks horrible.

Why not go for gravel. The oil will sink in, you can always rake it and if nevessary lob on another sack full.

We have a covenant on our house saying we must have a solid drive - no gravel or chippings. There are 8 houses in our street 4 blocks and 4 tarmac. The block ones need regular maintenance and the tarmac ones look dull.

As for the stag (this one is my third), Robsport rebuilt the engine in 2012 and at the minute its leaking oil, coolant and auto trans fluid! The coolant I've traced to a jubilee clip. Oil is from the front crank seal and the gearbox is leaking via the breather! It's all fun!

Good info on the drives though.

thanks

94 plus 8 in Westminster Green - I think!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon