Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
14 registered members (teifistar, Robbie, Chris Cosher, chanteclair, +8Rich, Stewart S, P964, Heinz, JCK, xc68anc, SCX358G, Tresco, griffo, lowebird), 83 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 179
John V6 144
Hamwich 105
Newest Topics
Dave W. - looking forward for a second book!
by xc68anc. 17/11/19 08:47 PM
Windscreen Washer Tubing Under-Dash
by DaveW. 17/11/19 02:31 PM
spares
by rockabilly john. 17/11/19 01:18 PM
5 speeder parts wanted
by Phil Bleazey. 17/11/19 11:50 AM
New Roadster Spec at last.
by Quicksilver. 17/11/19 08:49 AM
One for Gary?
by Graham, G4FUJ. 17/11/19 08:44 AM
Morganeers at reifen.com Mainz
by xc68anc. 17/11/19 08:15 AM
Latest Photos
Exelent Morgan weather.
TM at Haynes
Keith's 4/4 resto
New 1913 Runabout replica in progress
Alloy spare wheel Cover
Newest Members
Farmer Giles, Mike pomfrett, JanBirger, esomann66, Hdnut
6760 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,624
Posts591,737
Members6,760
Most Online596
Nov 6th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First Class Service from the factory #598510
07/10/19 08:19 PM
07/10/19 08:19 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

South Yorkshire
Towards the end of August, I rang the factory and ordered a complete GDI Sports system. I arranged to pick it up in early September, and on the day, met up with Wirewheel, and walked up to the servicing centre/Aero Racing, where my exhaust was waiting.

Although the factory can flash your ECU by post...….the tight access put me off, so I booked it in today to have the flash done. I dropped it off at 9.45 for a 10.00 o'clock slot and it was done by just after 11.00.

It was all very efficiently organised and sorted out, and I had a phone call last Friday to confirm my booking.

It takes a few miles for the ECU to adapt, apparently, so the slog home on the motorway wasn't the best test. However, I already experienced better low down torque with just the new system, and it really did fly on the way back. So now I need to get it out on my test track, where the combination of factors will be more apparent.

If you want to free up the real Plus 4 in your GDI, this is something you should seriously consider doing, or having done.

DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) Plus 4
Re: First Class Service from the factory [Re: DaveW] #598514
07/10/19 08:41 PM
07/10/19 08:41 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Online content
+8Rich  Online Content

Devonshire

Good to see the factory providing a service level comparable to most garages I have used from main agents to small independents, it's the way to stay in business longer wink.

The new Plus Six customers will expect nothing less than excellent customer service at ÂŁ90k a throw.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

Re: First Class Service from the factory [Re: DaveW] #598522
07/10/19 09:42 PM
07/10/19 09:42 PM
SteveT Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
SteveT  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Originally Posted by DaveW
Towards the end of August, I rang the factory and ordered a complete GDI Sports system. I arranged to pick it up in early September, and on the day, met up with Wirewheel, and walked up to the servicing centre/Aero Racing, where my exhaust was waiting.

Although the factory can flash your ECU by post...….the tight access put me off, so I booked it in today to have the flash done. I dropped it off at 9.45 for a 10.00 o'clock slot and it was done by just after 11.00.

It was all very efficiently organised and sorted out, and I had a phone call last Friday to confirm my booking.

It takes a few miles for the ECU to adapt, apparently, so the slog home on the motorway wasn't the best test. However, I already experienced better low down torque with just the new system, and it really did fly on the way back. So now I need to get it out on my test track, where the combination of factors will be more apparent.

If you want to free up the real Plus 4 in your GDI, this is something you should seriously consider doing, or having done.

[quote=DaveW]

A similar experience to my own Dave, good service indeed. I've just done an 800 mile trip in my Gdi, pretty much straight after having the flash done. 400 of them today from Reims to home. Not sure the long stretches of French main roads does much to help the ECU adapt. I'd be interested to know what and how it does it? Does it 'remember' driving styles or does it just need to go through the various throttle/ engine rev scenarios?
Anyway, my average mpg on the trip shows a recorded 43.2 mpg.

Last edited by SteveT; 07/10/19 09:43 PM.

Steve

110th +4 AM Chiltern Green
1939 Velocette KSS
1959 BSA Goldstar DBD34
Fellow of the Wild Mogs
Re: First Class Service from the factory [Re: DaveW] #598543
08/10/19 08:18 AM
08/10/19 08:18 AM
West Yorkshire
Fat Wolfie Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Fat Wolfie  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

West Yorkshire
Sounds interesting...Excuse my ignorance but what does the ECU flash do? Does it give more torque, more BHP, or both? What sort of numbers are we looking at (not cost, but improvements to the standard numbers).

Not something for me this year but as I plan to have the Morgan a long time I could add it to the list of dreams...

Re: First Class Service from the factory [Re: DaveW] #598549
08/10/19 08:48 AM
08/10/19 08:48 AM
Hampshire
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Alistair  Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Talk Morgan Sage

Hampshire
The ECU has some memory in it which contains the various "maps" of throttle angle, revs etc to work out how much petrol to put in. This allows it to control over rich mixtures (bad emissions high taxes) and lean problems (burning and melting pistons as well as poor power and road feel).

Flash is an old term from the early computing days when EEPROM (wiki it if you have the energy and interest!) could be flashed with new settings. This is often called updating software or patching in modern terms. I doubt (pray?) they don't use EEPROM these days as they were unreliable in most cases.

So the factory probably loaded a new engine map that can be used to clear out low power spots or hesitations etc. In many cases the factory maps are tuned to optimise for the speeds and load of the emissions test leading to poor throttle response but good emissions. There are quite a few maps that do not add additional power but map out the poor low rev throttle response. Depending on your mood and driving style I have seen decent gains in mpg using these as you tend to press less on the throttle to mentally get around the dead zone.

With modern turbo engines you will find "mapping" is used a lot by the Max Power brigade to boost power on diesel and petrol engines. My ML63 came out of the factory with a daft 565bhp as it had the factory tuning pack added. Some companies offer as much as 720bhp just with a map and after market inlet filter and exhaust. I so want to get this fitted but given a lorry with an afterburner is already stupid I cannot bring myself to do it.

Any aftermarket remapping WILL invalidate the warranty and so should be treated with due respect. You hear a lot of scare stories but the good places actually have some excellent engineers doing a good job.

Just time to burn a little more petrol before dinner.
Re: First Class Service from the factory [Re: DaveW] #598555
08/10/19 10:10 AM
08/10/19 10:10 AM
North Somerset, UK
D
Deejay Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Deejay  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
D

North Somerset, UK
Following a recent service on my Mazda diesel, when the battery had to be disconnected, the run home on the M5 was returning 25mpg or thereabouts, despite resettting 3 times. However, as I got closer to home with about 15 miles under my belt it started to improve and a few miles the next day had me back to my normal 55mpg or so. So I think any run of half an hour or 50 miles or so would be enough for the ecu to sort itself. Despite much comment about the ecu “learning” your driving style, I don’t think it’s that clever! It doesn’t know where the hills are or the sharp bends...I think it is more to do with it adjusting to the fuelling parameters that have been loaded and corellating to feedback from lamdas, MAF sensors, etc.
Some years ago, I had my plus 4 remapped and to be honest, I didn’t see much difference below 4k revs. Although it seems to go well above that, its not often such speeds can be legally maintained and I cannot in all honesty recall what it was like previously.
Finally, I would say the only way to be sure that it was money well spent is to have dyno tests before and after. Being human, it’s surprising how we can convince ourselves that something is so much better to justify in our minds the outlay and to escape any form of disappointment.

Doug

2011 +4 in Rich Maroon
Re: First Class Service from the factory [Re: Fat Wolfie] #598558
08/10/19 10:31 AM
08/10/19 10:31 AM
Lampeter, Wales
Jon G4LJW Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Jon G4LJW  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Lampeter, Wales
Originally Posted by Fat Wolfie
Sounds interesting...Excuse my ignorance but what does the ECU flash do? Does it give more torque, more BHP, or both? What sort of numbers are we looking at (not cost, but improvements to the standard numbers).

Not something for me this year but as I plan to have the Morgan a long time I could add it to the list of dreams...

I had the ECU upgrade and sports exhaust/cat/manifold from Williams, which they reckon gives an extra 30BHP and some lower end torque. It does feel a little more powerful at lower revs, but I haven't had it measured.

Jon
AM02 MOG
2011 Sport White Plus 4 Sport
Photos
Re: First Class Service from the factory [Re: DaveW] #598559
08/10/19 10:40 AM
08/10/19 10:40 AM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
The manifold and sports cat alone definitely improved low down performance, allowing a higher gear on known roads.

The flash has made the engine feel smoother. I won't know about mpg for a bit longer but if I get close to Steves 40+ I'll be very happy.

DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) Plus 4
Re: First Class Service from the factory [Re: DaveW] #598562
08/10/19 11:16 AM
08/10/19 11:16 AM
West Yorkshire
Fat Wolfie Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Fat Wolfie  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

West Yorkshire
Thanks for info all.

Currently sulking with my car though after an unsuccessful couple of hours in the garage fettling...just about to write a thread!

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon