Sorry for the waffly post, just thought it might be of some interest.
Had my '72 4/4 for 12 months now, and thought I'd reflect a little of the first 12 months. Covered about 7000miles (not entirely sure, as had many months without a working speedo, but have done an indicated 4700m keeping me under the insurance limit!).
Must say, she's more than lived up to my expectations - brilliant to drive, and love the camaraderie between fellow classic car enthusiast and Morgan owners (I've had old Land Rovers before but this is far better). She hasn't 'really' let me down, although the initial few months with the blocking idle jet were frustrating until I fitted my own uprated fuel filter, and it was infuriating trying to get a working speedo drive. Both of these are now working perfectly.
Over the months she's loosened up well - she had only done a few hundred miles in the previous 10 years so everything was a bit stuff/tight. Had a lovely 10 day camping trip to Dartmoor, the rear seat mods meant I could get all my kit in, and it was great fun 'pootling' round the countryside
I have a habit of getting old cars and bikes and 'altering' them to suit me better - I remember at the time saying that I was going to leave the Morgan as 'standard'. That didn't last long - I started to make a list of changes/improvements I've made so far:Exterior:
Removed Badge Bar
Fitted Wipac Crystals with side light bulbs (LED)
Fitted LED bulbs to Wing side lights
Made brackets and fitted Front Halogen Spots
Clear lenses on Indicators
Fitted Twin Horns
10mm Wheel Spacers fitted
Brake Reaction Bars fitted
Fitted Convex door mirrors
Front AVO dampers fitted
Replaced Window mount rubbers
Rear Fog light and reverse light fitted, complete with brackets to make removal/replace of rear rack easier. Switches and warning lights on dash.
Fitted Bonnet Strap
Rear Number plate raised to stop grinding!Engine Bay:
Removed Kingpin Oiler
New plug wires
Rocker Cover upgrade
Fixed radiator position and replaced bobbins
New bonnet beading and neoprene seal
New silicon radiator hoses.
Renovated Water Pump Bottle
De-rusted Battery/Scuttle Panel
Uprated Fuel Filter to stop repeated idle jet blockage
Removed rear Exhaust SilencerInterior:
Fitted Librand Door stays
Fitted Side Screen Steadies
Led light upgrade for dash (apart from Ignition!)
Fitted left hand dead pedal
Fitting Smiths Clock
Replaced rear fuel hose.
New stainless gear knob
Fitted Map light
Fitted !4" and then13” Steering wheel (I'm a bit on the large side
Replaced Indicator Stalk
Fixed Speedo drive problem and re-routed speedo cable
Removed Smiths heater and fitted an upgrade including Bowden controlled on/off switch
Seat re-padded and rear seats stitched .
Rear boards made for carrying luggage
Fitted two 12V sockets into glovebox
Still to come will be some home made 'Hood Swivels (not available for 4 seat)'. I have an electronic ignition module and new coil waiting to fit. Going to upgrade to rear AVO shocks and mounts. Clear lens for rear indicators are on their way, as is an electric fan. Also thinking about dropping the seat rails a couple of cms to give a bit more leg room under the wheel. Quite fancy a bigger bore exhaust too, but may get one made up rather than the Librands one, which is a bit steep at about £1K for an 'off the shelf' system.
Looking forward to the next 12 months