Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (Wirewheel, BobtheTrain, ianc, doriangreen, Roger Tapley, Mick Annick, M3W55, bobar, petemog, HJP, Heinz, Zallium, Ncik P, AlyMatt, John Winn, chocadoodledoo, Jon G4LJW, Grumpy2, John07, Horror, Rog G, kar120c, Fuel.inj, IcePack, MOGSWE), 144 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 258
Hamwich 120
Peter J 114
John V6 107
Newest Topics
New water leak.
by Viper. 28/01/20 04:18 PM
Rear leaf springs - 1967 Plus 6
by Pat L. 28/01/20 03:48 PM
North coast 500 welcomes you
by Morgan110. 28/01/20 03:28 PM
2016 Plus 4 Underdash
by DaveW. 28/01/20 01:31 PM
2011 Plus 4 Brakes
by Jon G4LJW. 28/01/20 10:51 AM
Airborn Supersport
by Rovert. 28/01/20 10:11 AM
Serpentine belt
by Mick Annick. 28/01/20 08:45 AM
Latest Photos
Two Tone Plus 6
Avonwood Developments Box
New year walk
Seals and wreck of the Ythan estuary,
Saint Ex the Morgan in all its glory
Newest Members
craig123, Martin Medland, banjo2005, kailambers, Martin Peel
6812 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics37,096
Posts602,013
Members6,812
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Hiwex
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: John V6] #604369
20/11/19 07:52 PM
20/11/19 07:52 PM
Suffolk
John V6 Offline OP
Member of the Inner Circle
John V6  Offline OP

Suffolk
Wine is a no brainer Dave.
Rich Reno sounds good I loved Nevada for it's fantastic geology.
U3A was on the list.
For now I have the day car centre AKA NT Sutton Hoo & the Mog plus the list from SWMBO.
As for fitness I am in a Thursday walking group already, alas I don't lose weight I attract it (surely it can't be bacon butties & beer?).

Here is to fun & not get up early.

JohnV6
2006 Indigo Blue Roadster S1
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: John V6] #604380
20/11/19 09:12 PM
20/11/19 09:12 PM
C
ChrisConvertible Offline
L - Learner Plates On
ChrisConvertible  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
C

I retired just over a year ago.

I remember the first day pretty clearly as I had organised a doctors appointment for 8:30am months before hand which didn't seem that clever as it meant no sleep in. So what I did was ride to the doctor and then ride in the opposite direction to work on the bike paths just to see where they go, I used to rode to work a few days a week so knew all the paths heading that way so went the other. I had bought myself a new cycling outfit that seemed so appropriate.

[Linked Image]

It is a funny retirement as I had to leave before 55 for pension reasons so worked to 54 and 363 days. My wife is in the same work and will be leaving the end of this year for the reason, after 55 you are counted as retired instead of resigned and get pension based on a different formula, in both cases we get about 1/3rd as much again as a fortnightly pension for life that what we get if we stay pass 55.

I was also not sure what to expect work wise as I left them while very busy so unofficially told my boss he can get me back once my pension is sorted out. That was done but to keep the bureaucracy happy I had to go for interviews etc. and got the job offer after 7 months, but now I have to have a full security check again and no idea how long that will take - well over 6 months so far. My initial thoughts were to work for a year about 3 days a week to save money so when my wife retires we can enjoy a good overseas holiday etc. and I can possibly afford to order a new Morgan after a year or two. But she has 25 days left so I sort of expect to be told I can start on the day she starts retirement. Not sure if I really want to go back after a year of enjoying myself, plus the Morgan fund I had disappeared. Also I know I can survive OK so should I put time over money and reset my expectations.

I was going to join a local retired cycling group but because I thought I was going to be back at work so soon I didn't and so far have just gone riding on my own - maybe that was a mistake and I should have joined straight away.

I did do a woodwork course and currently making an acoustic guitar with supervision by probably one of Australia's best guitar makers that is going very well.

I have managed to keep myself very busy around the house with gardening, playing the guitar, cycling and fixing things that have been put off for years, plus my poor cat got cancer which has taken a fair bit of time taking him to the vet, giving him tablets, monitoring his eating etc. Also I was only retired for a few months before I was told I am going to be a grandfather, as my son and his girlfriend were sort of living at home my wife decided my retirement savings (I thought might be a Morgan purchase) got used to buy an investment property for us but a place for them to live in.

So my plans are still up in the air as far as returning to work, my financed completely different to what I had planned but apart from the poor cat I am happy with how everything is going. My son and girlfriend are very happy in the house I found for them, my grand daughter is so cute.

My biggest issue is I have started to really stiffen up probably due to more gardening etc.but also because I got a DVT and spent two months basically bedridden. So I am thinking of joining a yoga group, and maybe the retired cycling club. My view is after a year of stuffing me around with background security checks after I worked in that industry for 34 years if I do return to work I should fit work in around my guitar making course, group cycling and maybe some yoga or similar classes.

Last edited by ChrisConvertible; 20/11/19 09:14 PM.
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: John V6] #604381
20/11/19 09:17 PM
20/11/19 09:17 PM
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Paul F Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
Paul F  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Originally Posted by John V6
Wine is a no brainer Dave.
Rich Reno sounds good I loved Nevada for it's fantastic geology.
U3A was on the list.
For now I have the day car centre AKA NT Sutton Hoo & the Mog plus the list from SWMBO.
As for fitness I am in a Thursday walking group already, alas I don't lose weight I attract it (surely it can't be bacon butties & beer?).

Here is to fun & not get up early.

That looks like a great start.

Paul
Costock, UK
2014 4/4 Rolls Royce Garnet Red
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: John V6] #604385
20/11/19 10:00 PM
20/11/19 10:00 PM
Germany, Rhein-Main Area
X
xc68anc Offline
L - Learner Plates On
xc68anc  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
X

Germany, Rhein-Main Area
The first sentence is the wrong start.

I hope you' re healthy, so don't worry.

I'm just 60 and in retirement by illness since nearly three years.

But in this way I could be lucky, no problems to drive cars (Morgans), motorcycles (my dream Harley) and bicycles (a really big collection of british Reynolds stuff). I know about some guys telling the same thing as your first sentence. Sitting at the table, lucky if they look out and do: nothing. Only looking out and breathe.

So it sounds silly: put up your ... Stand up. Stand up is the first step. And this could be heavy. If it's done give this step a sense.
Have a look in the garden, at your Mog, at your wife, at your bike.

A Morgan is a great thing for retirement. That's a point we bought our one last year, get great days out, look if it (she/her) needs a little TLC, get it "customized" and a lot of other ideas. Or visit your dealer, the factory or a workshop at BHM.
Or read Mr. Ws book... Help some germans with Iphone to send their pictures (you see... Someone is around who need your help) ;-)

Welcome in the restless world of retirement!

René

Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: John V6] #604388
20/11/19 10:13 PM
20/11/19 10:13 PM
North of Stamford, UK
H
HeadlessBlue Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
HeadlessBlue  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
H

North of Stamford, UK
Go enjoy your retirement with your good lady and good health, JohnV6.
As an IFA working for a chartered firm I spend a silly amount of time looking after my clients, many of whom are millionaires, trying to persuade them to break the habit of a lifetime (accumulation for the rainy day ie retirement) and actually get them to spend money on themselves. I love my clients but they do exhaust me....! Maybe their attitude is what made them successful in their respective careers, but ....
Go spend your hard earned money on whatever makes you happy whilst you are alive (imo without knowing your goals and finances etc etc 😇)
Best wishes for a long, heathy and happy retirement
HB

Last edited by HeadlessBlue; 20/11/19 10:15 PM. Reason: Typos
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: Paul F] #604399
20/11/19 11:58 PM
20/11/19 11:58 PM
Renfrewshire
BobtheTrain Online content
Charter Member
BobtheTrain  Online Content
Charter Member

Renfrewshire
Originally Posted by Paul F
One thing to look at if you are at a loose end is U3A.

I'd also have a look at Men's Sheds. Great fun.

Best Regards
Lang may yer lum reek
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: John V6] #604419
21/11/19 08:39 AM
21/11/19 08:39 AM
YORK
KEVFITZ Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
KEVFITZ  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

YORK
Forgot to mention in my earlier posting...get a girlfriend/mistress...will do you a power of good !!!!

" I LOVE THE SOUND OF THROTTLE BODIES IN THE MORNING " (ROBERT DUVAL IN "APOCOLYPSE NOW " )
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: John V6] #604420
21/11/19 08:51 AM
21/11/19 08:51 AM
P
pete757 Offline
Learner Plates Off!
pete757  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
P

I LOVE this thread guys!...

I turned 60 this year... now 'retired'... even though I was not expecting to for another 5 years... The Thomas Cook demise...

Trying to do all the above... and lots more besides!

I have had the 'motto' YOLO for about 8 years now since I lost my medical and could no longer fly... it's been a hard road ever since! Yes, life is far too short to to live and love every minute of life.

But living in Perth, OZ, is great. In NZ at the moment as well! And back home to the UK in the next 10 days... time to drive the Morgan!

Keep up the posts... :>)

Dark Red 4/4 80th Anniversary
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: John V6] #604431
21/11/19 09:49 AM
21/11/19 09:49 AM
YORK
KEVFITZ Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
KEVFITZ  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

YORK
DIE YOUNG AS LATE AS POSSIBLE !!!!

And I add to that ..be as naughty as you can for as long as you can..

Right off out in the P4SS to give it a good ragging round the lanes of North Yorkshire,,,so I give you fair warning !!!!

" I LOVE THE SOUND OF THROTTLE BODIES IN THE MORNING " (ROBERT DUVAL IN "APOCOLYPSE NOW " )
Re: Being paid to breathe [Re: PhilRoyle] #604435
21/11/19 10:39 AM
21/11/19 10:39 AM
Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Gambalunga Offline
Gambalunga  Offline

Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Originally Posted by PhilRoyle
When I retired 9 years ago I was advised not to take on anything for at least 9 months. Sound advice as people were beating a path to my door "Now you are retired can you help with/ take charge of/ do this?" Learn to say no or there will be no point to retiring. I now volunteer for National Trust - Room Guide, Conservation Volunteer (I get to handle the things that are marked "DONOT TOUCH"!) and Father Christmas. I run about 20 miles per week (did a 10k run this morning), spend time with the family and get involved with Mog-related activities plus driving the 4/4 whenever I feel the urge.
The other bit of advice was - "don`t save up for retirement - you are retired" so I am busy going through my children`s inheritance with their blessing and admiration. Enjoy each day to the full, savour life as we do not know what is round the corner - hopefully another Morgan so we can head of to a pub for a meal and a chat.

Congratulations. I agree with Phil's advice. The bit "Now you are retired can you help with/ take charge of/ do this?" applies particularly to parents and other elderly relations, if you still have them. You will find that everything takes longer to do than it used to, probably because you spend more time thinking about it. In fact you finish up wondering how the heck you managed to get everything done when you had to work every day smile

Peter

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon