Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (CooperMan, ianc, rv6, Richard Wood, V8HENRY, Franko, Ncik P, mph, Spanner Juggler, SimonH), 114 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 261
John V6 141
Peter J 126
Hamwich 94
Newest Topics
Off the Road
by PhilRoyle. 21/01/20 05:49 PM
M3W gathering southern Virginia June 12-14
by rcmatt. 21/01/20 05:06 PM
New Tyres
by Spanner Juggler. 21/01/20 04:00 PM
Grease is the word
by Fat Wolfie. 21/01/20 03:58 PM
Glassware Aero 8
by Flipsterbaby. 21/01/20 03:58 PM
Door Roundels
by RobCol. 21/01/20 03:22 PM
Bonnet Stays
by RobCol. 21/01/20 03:19 PM
Latest Photos
New year walk
Seals and wreck of the Ythan estuary,
Saint Ex the Morgan in all its glory
Bevel box oil leak
Hogmanay Run
Newest Members
craig123, Martin Medland, banjo2005, kailambers, Martin Peel
6812 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics37,056
Posts601,163
Members6,812
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Graeme Morrison, Kaou
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Replacement Wiring Loom #607149
09/12/19 06:10 PM
09/12/19 06:10 PM
northants, uk
S
smiffmog Offline OP
Just Getting Started
smiffmog  Offline OP
Just Getting Started
S

northants, uk
Hi there. I have a 1981 Plus 8 thats going through a major refurb and I'm at a stage where fitting a new wiring loom would be quite convenient to do.
I've stumbled upon a company called Auto Sparks whose web site would denote that classic car wiring looms are indeed their forte and they list a brand new loom for my +8 for a pretty reasonable price of £370.00 in vat. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience of this company and its products ? Regards Steve

Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #607178
09/12/19 08:47 PM
09/12/19 08:47 PM
East Harling, Norfolk UK
Richard Wood Online NoMood
Talk Morgan Expert
Richard Wood  Online NoMood
Talk Morgan Expert

East Harling, Norfolk UK
Yes just fitted an AutoSparks loom to my 53 year old Land Rover. All cables of original gauge and colour coded. Loom cloth covered as OE as are terminations (mainly bullet) and back to back female connectors included where needed. The source seems highly regarded in the LR series 2 club and I certainly had no complaints.

I believe they can accommodate custom changes as well although this may mean a longer wait. Mine arrived in a little over a week. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Richard

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1967 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1960 Velocette Venom
Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #607179
09/12/19 08:57 PM
09/12/19 08:57 PM
A
Arwyn Williams Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Arwyn Williams  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
A

Been going for years.

Had a few wiring looms from them over the years, a couple of wires needed shortening on my 1968 Plus 4 loom but nothing major. They were also happy to modify the loom for a 1972 4/4 to incorporate a feed to the electric fuel pump.

They also do a wide range of wiring tools as well

Arwyn

Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #607218
10/12/19 09:24 AM
10/12/19 09:24 AM
Yorkshire
CooperMan Online content
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
CooperMan  Online Content
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Yorkshire
They have a good reputation in the world of original Minis

Jon M
Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #607239
10/12/19 10:49 AM
10/12/19 10:49 AM
C
Culminator Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Culminator  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
C

Interesting! I also have a 1981 Plus 8 and also going through a major refurb. I was thinking of a new loom too, so I wonder if they'll discount for a multi buy? ;-)

Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #607248
10/12/19 12:07 PM
10/12/19 12:07 PM
northants, uk
S
smiffmog Offline OP
Just Getting Started
smiffmog  Offline OP
Just Getting Started
S

northants, uk
Thank you very much for the validation gents, looks like I've just sorted my Xmas present !

Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #607317
10/12/19 06:39 PM
10/12/19 06:39 PM
Rickmansworth UK
G
GARYMYNARD Offline
Just Getting Started
GARYMYNARD  Offline
Just Getting Started
G

Rickmansworth UK
I have a 1981 plus 8..... making my own look, then I can have a modern fusebox. If you want to chat just PM me

Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #607421
11/12/19 12:15 PM
11/12/19 12:15 PM
northants, uk
S
smiffmog Offline OP
Just Getting Started
smiffmog  Offline OP
Just Getting Started
S

northants, uk
Blimey, these '81 +8's are as common as muck !
Thanks for the offer Gary and I admire your endeavour to make your own.
I'm from the KISS school of thought so for me the original set up is fine.
I'm not known as Analogue Man within my circles without reason !
The main wiring loom thats behind the dash on my car is probably fine but beyond that and at the extremities, its brittle, cracked, covered in underseal and generally not nice but it is 40 years old !
I had to strip out the interior for a retrim anyway, including the dash, so its at the stage now to commit.
I very rarely post on here except for requesting technical advice, which incidentally, is always very good, so I'll indulge myself and give you a bit of background to my situation.
My current '81 +8 is the second +8 I've owned, the first being a very fancy last edition anniversary +8.
Great car but not quite the vision of the simplistic +8's that I had as a "Yoof" back in the 70's so when the opportunity to purchase the '81 car came up ( previous owner had it for 25 years ) I bought it and sold the Anniversary +8.
I finally had the +8 of my vision, no easy up hoods, no fancy wire wheels, no radio / CD player ( really, whats the point in a Morgan, you can't hear it, ha ), no fuel injection modules, no bling, just the discreet +8 badge on the bonnet cowl and the all round patina of its age and originality. All was well in the world.
Roll on 5 years or so, the mind wanders to pastures new and I was gradually being seduced by the idea of a Cobra Reincarnation ( sounds so much better than "Replica" doesn't it ) but not for me were the garish side pipes, roll hoops, stripey bonnets of the stereotype's, I wanted something far more discreet and along the lines of the original Cobra road cars.
Cut a long story short, my search came to an end with a plain silver Crendon Cobra fitted with a 5.7 ltr 70's Ford Mustang engine.
Wow, what a beast, superb handling, classic understated looks, all round stunning car.
I still have the the '81 +8 at this time as I wanted to make sure that I "bonded" with the Cobra first which I duly did.
Then came the hard decision that the +8 now needed to find a new owner as in many respects they were similar cars.
Now when I sell something I like to present it to the best of its potential, so began a big spruce up of the +8.
This "spruce up" included removing the seats and carpets in order to give them a good clean.
During this process what I had previously considered and indeed valued as the aged patina of the trim, rapidly revealed that the leather simply teared like A4 paper and the unavoidably realisation that a full retrim would be needed.
This rapidly developed into I might as well replace the original, now sagging plywood floor sections, which in turn lead to sandblasting and repainting of the subsequent exposed chassis frame, etc, etc, etc and the whole thing was put on the back burner whilst life, running a business and restoring a property took their toll on progression.
After contemplating the expenditure and time that would need to be put into the car in order to get it to an albeit very good saleable condition, I decided to keep it and give it the refit it deserved and started to collect the necessary parts to do so.
Complete front and rear suspension overhauls and up grades from Mulfab, braking system overhauls, new alloy rad, interior retrim, new tyres, new fuel tank, pump, etc. etc have duly been gathered over time and by over time I'm talking the last four years when the car has lain idle and semi dismantled.
I subsequently sold the Crendon Cobra after four years of ownership in order to fund a large outlay on the property restoration.
I had a great time with it and sold it for considerably more than I'd paid for it. I was unwittingly ahead of the zeitgeist in whats become the trend for the more understated Cobras.
So the +8 resurrection continues and I'm trying my utmost to refrain from my usual instinct which is to unnecessarily over restore something as opposed to refurbish it and retain as much of its character as possible.
It will be finished at some stage next year and my affection for it means that it will probably be a "keeper" now.
I'm staring 60 in the face and maybe its a consequence of getting older but my Magpie instinctive attraction to new shiny things seems to be diminishing and whilst there's some fantastic new Morgans I'll stick with being Old Skool.
Having said all that, I sometimes get a hankering for one last hurrah before the Greta Tunberg brigade shut us down completely, in the form of a so called Tool Room Cobra, an alloy bodied, as close to the original that you'ed ever get. Hmm, watch this space.

Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #607730
12/12/19 08:15 PM
12/12/19 08:15 PM
Rickmansworth UK
G
GARYMYNARD Offline
Just Getting Started
GARYMYNARD  Offline
Just Getting Started
G

Rickmansworth UK
My root to my plus 8 came after a stag do hiring two morgans and having a thrash around the lake district and south Scotland. Came back and started to look. I brought mine knowing it needed a fair amount of work, well to date it has got a new chassis , new suspension, fuel tank, rad, rewire, ......well list goes on. Iam car trimmer, so it will also have a bespoke interior and hood. She is "The Mistress" !

Re: Replacement Wiring Loom [Re: smiffmog] #608513
17/12/19 12:00 PM
17/12/19 12:00 PM
C
Culminator Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Culminator  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
C

Hi Gary and Smiff...

As it looks like the 3 of us are restoring/modifying Plus 8's of the same vintage, it would be highly beneficial for us to keep in touch offline and share our experiences. I'll drop you both a PM with my email details as I think we could really help each other through our projects.

Good idea?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon