Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (RJW, petemog, Mick Harris, Hamwich, Peter J), 176 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 347
TBM 215
+8Rich 211
Newest Topics
wire for third brake light
by Hogzilla. 27/11/20 01:41 AM
dehumidifier
by B3MOG. 26/11/20 10:41 PM
Electric kit car
by John V6. 26/11/20 09:13 PM
Tyre advise for 15 x 7 Miniltes
by RogerQ. 26/11/20 06:53 PM
Ducati Diavel Lamborghini
by Gambalunga. 26/11/20 06:25 PM
Wanted: Early TT garage Farnham car badge
by FvdM. 26/11/20 05:45 PM
Something to check
by nippymog. 26/11/20 03:41 PM
Latest Photos
More November Sun...
November Sun
Is this a 4 to 3 wheeler conversion?
Sunday Trip Out
Newest Members
E.Gumiero, Grump, Fjmorgan, KJD, Mike Woodroffe
7255 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,932
Posts662,069
Members7,255
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Stopping trad production [Re: MDS61] #607762
12/12/19 11:14 PM
12/12/19 11:14 PM
London and Hertfordshire, UK
Quicksilver Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Quicksilver  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

London and Hertfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by MDS61
Originally Posted by Quicksilver
That jig that they proudly show off in the factory, the one that’s shaped every Trad wheel arch for the past 65 years, will now be redundant and put out to pasture.

How sad 😢

No time for sentiment...let's move on! getcoat

LOL. I am quite melodramatic sometimes 😏

David
2020 Roadster 3.7 Dove Grey.
Re: Stopping trad production [Re: John V6] #607772
13/12/19 05:58 AM
13/12/19 05:58 AM
C
ChrisConvertible Online content
Learner Plates Off!
ChrisConvertible  Online Content
Learner Plates Off!
C

You mean this jig?

[Linked Image]

I was hoping they designed the Plus 6 wood parts to make sure that part still gets used. There is certainly still a curved piece of wood making part of the wheel arch.

[Linked Image]

Re: Stopping trad production [Re: John V6] #607775
13/12/19 07:28 AM
13/12/19 07:28 AM
South Warwickshire
W
Wirewheel Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Wirewheel  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
W

South Warwickshire
No it is still in use for the Plus Six

Ian
2011 Plus 4
Wild Mogs Reims 2019, Goodwood 2018, Isle of Man 2017, Carried on to Caramulo" 2016
Re: Stopping trad production [Re: John V6] #607820
13/12/19 11:11 AM
13/12/19 11:11 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Luddite  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
L

Peter typed "How long before there is a separate competition class for them? Their must be because they will trounce the best prepared ladder chassis 2.0L car!"

That is an interesting comment Peter, it seems that the lack of suspension travel in a TRAD is that which many a mad modifiers are/were motivated to resolve, and perhaps most in search of enhanced comfort in terms of reducing the crashing through pot holes effect, when you should really just drive round them..? Oops, my Luddite tendencies beginning to surface there..(-: Seems to me that race cars may not be renowned for their compliant suspension and in that regard the TRAD has matched or perhaps bettered many a more modern sports car on track as the result of the limited travel in the original design...? Thinking that the chassis flex and much that operates in symphony with all that shakes rattles and rolls, while not designed as state of the art, may still surprise a few if there is a skilled enough driver at the wheel of a TRAD..?

I may have typed before of my meeting with a roll bar equipped 993 on a mostly open view country road a few years back, I was enjoying cruising as he roared past..Hmm..? Lets just say he was not the only one very surprised as I was able to bight his bumper over the next few miles of twists turns and undulations, pot holes and all... I suspect his tyres may have stayed more in contact with terra firma than did the old Mogs, in the end he wisely gave up trying to prove the superiority of his far more modern machine..... Though I will admit to tightening up a few bits and pieces and greasing the suspension when I got the old thing back in the garage.... A few miles to remember...(-:

I was in search of a vintage driving experience in a machine that was of vintage appearance when I decided on a Morgan, and it was FUN to see how it measured up in that little 993 scenario, though how vintage is my +8 with it`s disc brakes syncro box, Koni dampers front and rear with the necessary hoop for the rear mounted dampers... hmm..? Perhaps I was cheating a tad... drive oldgit

Re: Stopping trad production [Re: Wirewheel] #607822
13/12/19 11:12 AM
13/12/19 11:12 AM
Forest of Dean
SteveT Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
SteveT  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Forest of Dean
Originally Posted by Wirewheel

Thats a shame Ian, I was hoping to get it for a score and put it in my garden.. make a good rustic arch.

Steve
Re: Stopping trad production [Re: Wirewheel] #607829
13/12/19 11:49 AM
13/12/19 11:49 AM
C
ChrisConvertible Online content
Learner Plates Off!
ChrisConvertible  Online Content
Learner Plates Off!
C

Originally Posted by Wirewheel

Excellent, so that gives a link to the history for the CX cars, maybe not enough for some people but certainly helps.

Re: Stopping trad production [Re: Luddite] #607895
13/12/19 03:46 PM
13/12/19 03:46 PM
P
PHZI Offline
L - Learner Plates On
PHZI  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
P

Originally Posted by Luddite
Peter typed "How long before there is a separate competition class for them? Their must be because they will trounce the best prepared ladder chassis 2.0L car!"

That is an interesting comment Peter, it seems that the lack of suspension travel in a TRAD is that which many a mad modifiers are/were motivated to resolve, and perhaps most in search of enhanced comfort in terms of reducing the crashing through pot holes effect, when you should really just drive round them..? Oops, my Luddite tendencies beginning to surface there..(-: Seems to me that race cars may not be renowned for their compliant suspension and in that regard the TRAD has matched or perhaps bettered many a more modern sports car on track as the result of the limited travel in the original design...? Thinking that the chassis flex and much that operates in symphony with all that shakes rattles and rolls, while not designed as state of the art, may still surprise a few if there is a skilled enough driver at the wheel of a TRAD..?

I may have typed before of my meeting with a roll bar equipped 993 on a mostly open view country road a few years back, I was enjoying cruising as he roared past..Hmm..? Lets just say he was not the only one very surprised as I was able to bight his bumper over the next few miles of twists turns and undulations, pot holes and all... I suspect his tyres may have stayed more in contact with terra firma than did the old Mogs, in the end he wisely gave up trying to prove the superiority of his far more modern machine..... Though I will admit to tightening up a few bits and pieces and greasing the suspension when I got the old thing back in the garage.... A few miles to remember...(-:

I was in search of a vintage driving experience in a machine that was of vintage appearance when I decided on a Morgan, and it was FUN to see how it measured up in that little 993 scenario, though how vintage is my +8 with it`s disc brakes syncro box, Koni dampers front and rear with the necessary hoop for the rear mounted dampers... hmm..? Perhaps I was cheating a tad... drive oldgit

Good for you! As well as my 1997 Plus 8, I happen to have 993 and although I can't be in two places at once to do a real time comparison, I know my Plus 8 couldn't live with the 993 round the twisty bits.

Re: Stopping trad production [Re: John V6] #607908
13/12/19 04:12 PM
13/12/19 04:12 PM
L
Luddite Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Luddite  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
L

PHZI.... hmm... Well perhaps I cheated a bit more, in that before Morgan ownership I had enjoyed circa 10 years of 911 ownership, and in the case of the 993, my only claim to fame was that apparently I was the first private individual in the UK to drive a 993 at the model press launch which took place at Cameron House on Loch Lomond...

Contemplated returning to Porsche ownership if seize up much more, to the extent that the Mog becomes impractical, or should I type more impractical than it has been up till now..? laugh2

Re: Stopping trad production [Re: John V6] #607919
13/12/19 05:38 PM
13/12/19 05:38 PM
Mandello del Lario
Gambalunga Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
Gambalunga  Offline
Member of the Inner Circle

Mandello del Lario
I would have thought that the amount of suspension travel available would have little to do with on track handling, For track work the major consideration would be keeping the rubber on the road with the maximum load for the maximum amount of time possible. For this you would need the tricky balance of limiting body roll (ie keeping as much down force as possible on the inner tyres) and controlling bounce and rebound to keep the tyre on the road (good and effective damping).

It would only be on a very rough track, or in offroad trials, that suspension travel would be a consideration.

How about a Morgan desert racer? smile

Peter

[Linked Image]
Re: Stopping trad production [Re: Gambalunga] #607935
13/12/19 07:32 PM
13/12/19 07:32 PM
SimonH Online content
Talk Morgan Regular
SimonH  Online Content
Talk Morgan Regular

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
I would have thought that the amount of suspension travel available would have little to do with on track handling, For track work the major consideration would be keeping the rubber on the road with the maximum load for the maximum amount of time possible. For this you would need the tricky balance of limiting body roll (ie keeping as much down force as possible on the inner tyres) and controlling bounce and rebound to keep the tyre on the road (good and effective damping).

It would only be on a very rough track, or in offroad trials, that suspension travel would be a consideration.

How about a Morgan desert racer? smile

Like this you mean?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Peking Paris 2016

Simon @ Sifab.co.uk

Simon @ Sifab.co.uk

Sifabtemporary@gmail.com
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon