Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Heinz, Player99, Clipper, +8Rich, planenut, Image, JCK, Treesurveyor, marshalben), 144 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 525
John V6 445
TBM 179
Heinz 170
Newest Topics
Stuck Indoors?
by Clipper. 30/03/20 09:07 PM
Bread in the USA
by +8Rich. 30/03/20 06:03 PM
4/4 4 seater car cover
by Tim W. 30/03/20 03:18 PM
Kop Hill Climb
by Ricardo. 30/03/20 12:57 PM
V10 Aero 8
by V10 Morgan aero. 30/03/20 09:56 AM
Car SOS
by James B W. 30/03/20 08:48 AM
Latest Photos
Rural Virgina
Forrestburn track day
Updated-Bafflectomy Procedure
Suffolk in the sun
Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill
Newest Members
Cuna2016, TonyRH, Kriado, MorganDriver, Andy Morris
6893 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics37,667
Posts614,606
Members6,893
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
PhilRoyle
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
President Trump #611767
09/01/20 10:38 AM
09/01/20 10:38 AM
norfolk, UK
L
lowebird Offline OP
Part of the Furniture
lowebird  Offline OP
Part of the Furniture
L

norfolk, UK
Chaps, I am well aware that many TMer's have quite strong opinions about this man however, I wonder if some of out American friends would comment on what it has actually been like living in the States under his term. Has he actually improved the lives of the people who voted for him or is he the "twit" that our popular press who make him out to be.
I will add that as I haven't met the man nor do I live in the States I have no opinion on the subject.

Here for a good time not a long time!!
Reg
Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611773
09/01/20 11:04 AM
09/01/20 11:04 AM
Massachusetts, USA
JCK Online content
Learner Plates Off!
JCK  Online Content
Learner Plates Off!

Massachusetts, USA
I live in Massachusetts, and feel that he has a absolutely no redeeming qualities. Don't get me started! He has done immense damage, deepened divisions, and screwed most Americans. I don't trust anything he says or does and have a bottle of bubbly ready for when he leaves the White House.

JCK
1960 Plus 4 Roadster
Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611791
09/01/20 12:27 PM
09/01/20 12:27 PM
West of Seattle, USA
LightSpeed Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
LightSpeed  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

West of Seattle, USA
He does things completely opposite of his last four predecessors since they all got us into some ugly wars and spending billions on countries that don’t give a damn about us, they only want our money. What’s the point of supporting someone who hates you?

Stephen
2019 M3W

Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611796
09/01/20 01:18 PM
09/01/20 01:18 PM
East Anglia
madmax Offline
Charter Member
madmax  Offline
Charter Member

East Anglia
Lets think of a previous incumbent who has been a 'good one ' ? carrot

Geneva 2016 plus 8' The Green Godess' 4 side exits .

Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611805
09/01/20 01:39 PM
09/01/20 01:39 PM
Surrey
K
Kevcaster Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Kevcaster  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
K

Surrey
He's a self seeking, boorish charlatan who brings shame on his nation.

Last edited by Kevcaster; 09/01/20 01:40 PM.

Kevin

2009 Morgan Plus 4 4 seater
Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611817
09/01/20 03:20 PM
09/01/20 03:20 PM
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Has a lot to Say!
TBM  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Northants, UK
This amused me, sorry it's a bit long:

Someone on Quora asked, “Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?” Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote this response…

A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of dermot. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

‘My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.”

1972 4/4 4 seater
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611821
09/01/20 03:37 PM
09/01/20 03:37 PM
norfolk, UK
L
lowebird Offline OP
Part of the Furniture
lowebird  Offline OP
Part of the Furniture
L

norfolk, UK
Yes, very good but I'm not all that interested in what we all think of him, I was only interested in what our American friends think and just from the two replies, it would seem that they are as split as we are with our main political parties and their leaders.

Here for a good time not a long time!!
Reg
Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611823
09/01/20 03:50 PM
09/01/20 03:50 PM
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Has a lot to Say!
TBM  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Northants, UK
Originally Posted by lowebird
Yes, very good but I'm not all that interested in what we all think of him, I was only interested in what our American friends think and just from the two replies, it would seem that they are as split as we are with our main political parties and their leaders.

Yep - my American colleague loathes him, and considers him an embarrassment and a disgrace to the US, but my expat, but permanent US resident, school mate, loves what he's doing for the economy and is happy to overlook all 'the other stuff'.

1972 4/4 4 seater
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611828
09/01/20 04:25 PM
09/01/20 04:25 PM
Monmouthshire, Wales
F
Fuel.inj Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Fuel.inj  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
F

Monmouthshire, Wales
When I was in Pennsylvania last year a group of us were sitting outside a bar having a beer, when this older chap came out for a smoke. Polite conversation ensued asking us where we were from etc. I threw him a curved ball and asked him if he was a Trump supporter? He looked directly at me and said “God damn it I am, that’s why I got money in my pocket “
I think that sentiment goes for a majority who live in the rust belt of the USA.

Re: President Trump [Re: lowebird] #611835
09/01/20 04:50 PM
09/01/20 04:50 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Online content
Learner Plates Off!
Image  Online Content
Learner Plates Off!

Aberdeenshire
Sorry to add another 'non native' voice to this.... I was in Palm Springs (CA) visiting my American cousin the night of the election... Watching the results as they came in on the TV.... Palm Springs (which is a very cosmopolitan town with a high gay and Artsy population) was in a collective state of shock for the next couple of days... It was quite spooky. However, I would guess the reaction was different in the 'golf and luxury gated community' towns further up the valley...... Divided indeed!....... We tend to hear the dissenting voices, but he wouldn't be there if loads of people hadn't voted for him (albeit a minority in total due to the odd 'electoral college' system)

K

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon