Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
18 registered members (Alistair, Luddite, Burgundymog, Heinz, teknome, LightSpeed, Farmer Giles, Craig Jezz, V8HENRY, +8Rich, Richard Wood, MJF, Tresco, OZ 4/4, M3W55, brownbaker, Bluebricked, RedThree), 261 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 331
TBM 204
+8Rich 192
Newest Topics
First Christmas card today
by +8Rich. 30/11/20 09:39 PM
Sealing wood
by Leroy. 30/11/20 04:00 PM
Balancing wire wheels
by RJW. 30/11/20 02:58 PM
+8 tyres
by Georgetoad. 30/11/20 01:35 AM
Watch point reversing light corrosion
by John V6. 29/11/20 04:30 PM
Aerosol paint for Morgans
by Richard Wood. 29/11/20 01:25 PM
How many cheeses in your fridge ?
by +8Rich. 29/11/20 12:33 PM
Latest Photos
Best of British IMHO!!!
More November Sun...
November Sun
Is this a 4 to 3 wheeler conversion?
Sunday Trip Out
Newest Members
E.Gumiero, Grump, Fjmorgan, KJD, Mike Woodroffe
7255 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,957
Posts662,692
Members7,255
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Chilliblu, cubitus01
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: Gambalunga] #624107
19/03/20 04:30 PM
19/03/20 04:30 PM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted by Gambalunga
Originally Posted by +8Rich
Well what a lovely thing to read amid the gloom in Italy smile Dolphins return to Venice

Today Italian scientist have managed to interpret the language of the dolphins that suddenly appeared in the canal. They are, however, quite mystified by what they are saying. Apparently it is "Arrivederci e grazie per tutti i pesci".

How do you say 42 in Italian?

Peter,
V8s are best....
Tarka the 'Otter Mog....2014 Plus 8
AMG C63 Estate.

Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: DaveW] #624198
19/03/20 10:03 PM
19/03/20 10:03 PM
Oxon
PaulV Offline
Has a lot to Say!
PaulV  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Oxon
Originally Posted by DaveW
There's a corner shop nearby, which we only use for milk normally, but the shelves are full. Even tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. Even fairy liquid.

Our local pharmacy have a box of hand gel under the counter. Handy to know in a crisis.

Yep. Local garages shops seem to doing much better. Presumably their wholesale supply chain gives a bit more buffer to the supply and demand equation!

Originally Posted by Fox Terrier
Capitalism might be great for some when things are going along as normal - it doesn't cope so well in crises.

LOL - thank god for competition in the supermarket business. Pretty sure any ex Soviet would smile at the thought of centralised retail control mechanisms working even in normal times!

M3W5sp 2015, MSCC, MTWC, Oxon UK
Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: kin] #624201
19/03/20 10:31 PM
19/03/20 10:31 PM
E
Esprit Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Esprit  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
E

That may be due to public expectations in Soviet countries being very low.

Tom
2018 Plus 4
Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: Esprit] #624207
19/03/20 11:30 PM
19/03/20 11:30 PM
Tasmania
Uther Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Uther  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Tasmania
Originally Posted by Esprit
And no we won't be putting the PM in a court. The UK goverment is working on best scientific advice and has followed a consistent strategy from the outset. All governments are dealing with a new contagious disease with imperfect knowledge and making decisions based on their best assessment of their local conditions and resources. No one can be 100% sure of the best actions and timing for implementation so for all countries of it is a case of 'best judgement'. If anyone should be in court it would be the PRC goverment for allowing such appalling bad hygiene and lack of regulation in food supply, but that's never going to happen. I'm not wishing to be antagonistic and I do wish to respect everyone's opinion but the media and internet seem to be awash with negative comment when we should all be trying to pull together and help each other. Having said that, my best wishes to all on this forum and to Hannes and his countrymen in Austria; sadly we won't be visiting next month as the ski resort and our regular hotel have closed. Hope the workers at the resort and hotel can cope financially with the early shutdown.

What I tried to say but better put Tom 👍🏻 PC is not my forte, I am willing to give anyone the benefit of doubt, but there is no grey area here.
The Chinese govt did not act fast all, it was too little too late. It is also fact that they silenced the doctors who wanted to warn the world long before the admitted they had it there. As you say other governments are doing the best they can with limited experience at this type of outbreak and I hope their plans all pay off, but I don’t really care who I offend when I say the P R C govt is directly responsible for the current world wide crisis.

Cheers John
2011 4/4 - "Elrond"
2007 Elfin C3 Clubman - “Gimli”
Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: PaulV] #624224
20/03/20 07:32 AM
20/03/20 07:32 AM
Luton, Bedfordshire
Fox Terrier Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Fox Terrier  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Luton, Bedfordshire
Originally Posted by PaulV
Originally Posted by DaveW
There's a corner shop nearby, which we only use for milk normally, but the shelves are full. Even tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. Even fairy liquid.

Our local pharmacy have a box of hand gel under the counter. Handy to know in a crisis.

Yep. Local garages shops seem to doing much better. Presumably their wholesale supply chain gives a bit more buffer to the supply and demand equation!

Originally Posted by Fox Terrier
Capitalism might be great for some when things are going along as normal - it doesn't cope so well in crises.

LOL - thank god for competition in the supermarket business. Pretty sure any ex Soviet would smile at the thought of centralised retail control mechanisms working even in normal times!

I maybe should have said "just as a centralised, planned economy doesn't cope so well in normal times"! I'm afraid there's no "one system fits all" available.

Morgan Plus 4
Brompton M6L
Giant TCX Advanced
Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: Uther] #624242
20/03/20 09:11 AM
20/03/20 09:11 AM
Rainy City
kin Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert
kin  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert

Rainy City
Originally Posted by Uther
Originally Posted by Esprit
And no we won't be putting the PM in a court. The UK goverment is working on best scientific advice and has followed a consistent strategy from the outset. All governments are dealing with a new contagious disease with imperfect knowledge and making decisions based on their best assessment of their local conditions and resources. No one can be 100% sure of the best actions and timing for implementation so for all countries of it is a case of 'best judgement'. If anyone should be in court it would be the PRC goverment for allowing such appalling bad hygiene and lack of regulation in food supply, but that's never going to happen. I'm not wishing to be antagonistic and I do wish to respect everyone's opinion but the media and internet seem to be awash with negative comment when we should all be trying to pull together and help each other. Having said that, my best wishes to all on this forum and to Hannes and his countrymen in Austria; sadly we won't be visiting next month as the ski resort and our regular hotel have closed. Hope the workers at the resort and hotel can cope financially with the early shutdown.

What I tried to say but better put Tom 👍🏻 PC is not my forte, I am willing to give anyone the benefit of doubt, but there is no grey area here.
The Chinese govt did not act fast all, it was too little too late. It is also fact that they silenced the doctors who wanted to warn the world long before the admitted they had it there. As you say other governments are doing the best they can with limited experience at this type of outbreak and I hope their plans all pay off, but I don’t really care who I offend when I say the P R C govt is directly responsible for the current world wide crisis.

Please excuse my grammar and poor use of the English language.

First of all, I'll let you know I am Chinese, so what I am about to say might sound like I am being biased towards the Chinese government, but honestly, I am not!

I will not be offended if anyone is blaming the Chinese government for trying to cover it up( just like Trump was covering up his abuse of power RE Ukraine scandal), they were not turning a blind eye, China was trying to trace the virus internally and contain it, but to no avail, it spread mainly due to long incubation period, even if China did everything to the book and declared it to the world immediately, I think the pandemic was still inevitable!

Just look at what did the western countries do when China locking down Wuhan? Nothing! Still pretty much free movement.

Just look at our friends across the pond, Trump was still in denial only a week ago.

Only real problem now is most of us Chinese are being hated on, although it wasn't like we deliberately made the virus

frown

Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: kin] #624248
20/03/20 09:32 AM
20/03/20 09:32 AM
West Paris, France
pandy Offline
Talk Morgan Guru
pandy  Offline
Talk Morgan Guru

West Paris, France
Originally Posted by kin

I will not be offended if anyone is blaming the Chinese government for trying to cover it up

One of the noticeable differences between this pandemic and the Sars outbreak in 2003 has been the relative openness of the Chinese government. This time around, they informed the rest of the world quite quickly, have kept us up to date on the measures they have taken, and quickly identified and shared the code for the virus. The fact that the rest of the world has taken so long to react really is not the fault of Beijing.

The draconian lockdown has worked in slowing the spread of the disease in China very effectively. As Fox Terrier and others have pointed out on another thread, the point of this is to keep the numbers needing intensive medical treatment manageable until viable vaccines and medicines are available.

Last edited by pandy; 20/03/20 09:32 AM.

Giles. Mogless in Paris.
Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: kin] #624250
20/03/20 09:34 AM
20/03/20 09:34 AM
Co Wexford, Ireland
Robbie Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
Robbie  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Co Wexford, Ireland
Kin - long May your light Sabre stand up - stay safe, stay healthy,wash the hands!!

Cheers!

Robbie
2018 Plus4 - Snoopy
181-WX-3082

"Fettlebodge"--A chief of the PaddyMogs
Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: Robbie] #624261
20/03/20 10:03 AM
20/03/20 10:03 AM
Rainy City
kin Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert
kin  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert

Rainy City
Originally Posted by Robbie
Kin - long May your light Sabre stand up - stay safe, stay healthy,wash the hands!!

Cheers!

Thanks Robbie, I am afraid my once powerful light Sabre can no longer stand up now!

Last edited by kin; 20/03/20 10:04 AM.

Re: Environmental benefits of Covid 19 [Re: pandy] #624294
20/03/20 11:26 AM
20/03/20 11:26 AM
Mandello del Lario
Gambalunga Offline
Gambalunga  Offline

Mandello del Lario
Originally Posted by pandy
Originally Posted by kin

I will not be offended if anyone is blaming the Chinese government for trying to cover it up

One of the noticeable differences between this pandemic and the Sars outbreak in 2003 has been the relative openness of the Chinese government. This time around, they informed the rest of the world quite quickly, have kept us up to date on the measures they have taken, and quickly identified and shared the code for the virus. The fact that the rest of the world has taken so long to react really is not the fault of Beijing.

The draconian lockdown has worked in slowing the spread of the disease in China very effectively. As Fox Terrier and others have pointed out on another thread, the point of this is to keep the numbers needing intensive medical treatment manageable until viable vaccines and medicines are available.

Absolutely!!! The Chinese Government acted in a much shorter time than many other governments have done. Perhaps this is due, in part, to the world critism that they did not act quickly enough, or inform the rest of the world quickly enough in the case of the SARS outbreak.

It should also be pointed out that China is sending essential equipment and medical supplies, much of it donated, to Italy. I have no idea how many Chinese medical staff are now here but they are also coming to help as volunteers.

Some could cynically say that Chinese businesses are benefiting from this but someone has to make all this medical equipment, face masks, etc. And we simply don't have the capacity to cover the demand. They on the other hand have ramped up or switched production in record time. The largest car company in China is now making medical equipment.

In a similar way a company here is sending the swabs that are used for virus testing to America.

Peter

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon