Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (Spanner Juggler, Steve +8, DavidR, Nig&Jun, PaulJ, Graham, G4FUJ, Scrambledsignals, spooner, mog24, PaulG, Bitsobrits, John V6, Grumpy2, Saxonian, John07, drewg, Richard Wood, UlrichW, Brian G, Dave Collis, P Dron, Phil+8, 3Gs), 225 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 353
+8Rich 201
TBM 194
Newest Topics
Rugby F1 Wrc.
by aerotaff. 04/12/20 12:58 PM
Stainless 6” and 7” wipers are back .
by MR11MOG. 04/12/20 12:40 PM
A WINTERS TALE.........
by KEVFITZ. 04/12/20 05:56 AM
Morgan driving music
by MossyfromNZ. 04/12/20 03:35 AM
Roger Penrose interviewed today.
by Heinz. 03/12/20 10:13 PM
So who’s up for a flight on a 737 Max?
by IMHO. 03/12/20 07:24 PM
Latest Photos
Stefan Avatar
The Great Escape Gang celebrate Tier 2
FolkMog is celebrating 25th year Anniversary
Best of British IMHO!!!
Newest Members
Bill H, PieMan, TOR15T, Charly33, MEJM
7274 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,988
Posts663,339
Members7,274
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
131RE
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: Aeroman] #635084
04/05/20 03:55 PM
04/05/20 03:55 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire
Originally Posted by Aeroman
Originally Posted by NickCW
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Famous for its cross-eyed squint courtesy of the reversed VW Beetle headlamps, which were used as a way to allow the leading edge of the front wings to be forward of the radiator, thus providing space to incorporate a front splitter (providing much needed downforce) during the extensive wind tunnel testing at MIRA
The decision not to have pods (headlights) on the new Morgan was taken during the time that they were using Plus 8 development cars and I think there was a Yellow Plus 8 that had Porsche lights fitted! The choice of headlights was very much a question of what was available at the time, initially I believe that BMW were thinking about Morgan using the Cooper S lights, but decided against it as they wanted their own model to be the first to launch these lights.

I believe this is mostly incorrect and a long standing untrue rumour, the quoted text is correct as I updated it yesterday from the Morgan literature I have, and that was quoted from Chris Lawrence himself.

Whilst there is some truth behind using what was available at the time, it was not down to BMW as to why these were chosen but rather the odd shape. Chris saw the lights and noted the ascue angle was perfect as it solved an aerodynamic problem at the front of the vehicle.

I will have to double-check my source and make sure just incase either way.. cheers

Before posting I confirmed with Steve Morris this morning, who should know as he was involved at the time. You pays your money and you takes your choice. smile

Here is a picture of the car your referred to Brian and she now resides in Norway with another Morgan collector/user.
[Linked Image]

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1994 Connaught Green +8 prev

Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: NickCW] #635086
04/05/20 03:56 PM
04/05/20 03:56 PM
Eton, Berks
Aeroman Offline
Talk Morgan Guru
Aeroman  Offline
Talk Morgan Guru

Eton, Berks
Originally Posted by Ale_72
I haven't sort it out yet. And I read somewhere that wikipedia is pretty picky with images.
I am a newbie as well and I am learning by trying.

Well done Ale, I've just looked at the new Aero 8 Wiki site and there's some great content. However, there are also some bloopers including in the first sentence on the Series 1 "and designed by the firm's designer Matthew Humphries." I'm afraid that this is incorrect as Matt Humphries was not involved in any way with Morgan at this time. Matt's first Morgan car design was the AeroMax, he sent the basic design of it to CM when he was at Coventry University and joined Morgan on a KTP programme, see LinkedIn Incidentally, I picked up my first Aero 8 - Series 1 'Kermit' in 2002, having delayed the build somewhat.

The Aero 8 shape evolved in the traditional Morgan way of form follows function and the main players were Chris Lawrence, Charles Morgan and other members of the Morgan Engineering Team, and Norman Kent of Survirn Engineering Ltd - especially for the tooling of the Aero wings.

Radshape were heavily involved in the chassis (Graham Chapman, the current MMC Development Director was working for them at that time) and Superform with much of the body panels, both companies eventually producing for MMC when the car was launched. I'll reread the Wiki entry and let you have any possible other comments in due course.

This is correct, I have the literature to confirm but haven't gotten around to updating it yet!
It was on my to do list but I made so many edits I forgot this one and lost track...

Will try to do it later if I can.

I know it's correct, it was checked too and also confirmed by Matt Humphries on his LinkedIn account! coffee

Brian

1970 Morgan Plus 8 - Moss Box (Black, soon to be the original Indigo Blue)
2014 Morgan SP1 (Rocket Red)
2015 Morgan Plus 8 (Rocket Blue)
Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: +8Rich] #635091
04/05/20 04:18 PM
04/05/20 04:18 PM
Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Graham, G4FUJ Online content
Salty Sea Dog
Graham, G4FUJ  Online Content
Salty Sea Dog

Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Originally Posted by +8Rich

Here is a picture of the car your referred to Brian and she now resides in Norway with another Morgan collector/user.
[Linked Image]

Looks good in yellow! smile

Graham (G4FUJ)

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'06 Saab 9-3 Convertible
Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: +8Rich] #635095
04/05/20 04:32 PM
04/05/20 04:32 PM
Eton, Berks
Aeroman Offline
Talk Morgan Guru
Aeroman  Offline
Talk Morgan Guru

Eton, Berks
Originally Posted by +8Rich
I believe this is mostly incorrect and a long standing untrue rumour, the quoted text is correct as I updated it yesterday from the Morgan literature I have, and that was quoted from Chris Lawrence himself.

Whilst there is some truth behind using what was available at the time, it was not down to BMW as to why these were chosen but rather the odd shape. Chris saw the lights and noted the ascue angle was perfect as it solved an aerodynamic problem at the front of the vehicle.

I will have to double-check my source and make sure just incase either way.. cheers

Before posting I confirmed with Steve Morris this morning, who should know as he was involved at the time. You pays your money and you takes your choice. smile

[Linked Image]

Thanks Rich, looks good doesn't it! Also as Graham says, the yellow colour is super! cheers Well hunted down...
P.S. do you know the owner Rich?

Last edited by Aeroman; 04/05/20 04:36 PM. Reason: to add PS

Brian

Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: Ale_72] #635124
04/05/20 07:36 PM
04/05/20 07:36 PM
Norway/Sweden
Rudolf Online content
Learner Plates Off!
Rudolf  Online Content
Learner Plates Off!

Norway/Sweden
This yellow Morgan is for sale in Norway.
https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=143640412

Rudolf
Waiting to collect Tango at the factory.

Morgan Aero8 s4 "Tango"
BMW R1200GS LC
BMW K1100RS/EML Speed 2000
BMW R100/7
Moto Guzzi 254
Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: Aeroman] #635128
04/05/20 07:40 PM
04/05/20 07:40 PM
Buckinghamshire
NickCW Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
NickCW  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Buckinghamshire
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Famous for its cross-eyed squint courtesy of the reversed VW Beetle headlamps, which were used as a way to allow the leading edge of the front wings to be forward of the radiator, thus providing space to incorporate a front splitter (providing much needed downforce) during the extensive wind tunnel testing at MIRA
The decision not to have pods (headlights) on the new Morgan was taken during the time that they were using Plus 8 development cars and I think there was a Yellow Plus 8 that had Porsche lights fitted! The choice of headlights was very much a question of what was available at the time, initially I believe that BMW were thinking about Morgan using the Cooper S lights, but decided against it as they wanted their own model to be the first to launch these lights.

Interesting - I can't remember who told me before but I am sure I recall being told it was an old wives tale so to speak, in reality it seems it was likely a culmination of both!
I shall update the wording, thanks for checking. smile

Aero 8 S1
M3W - Green Shark

"What we do in life.. echoes in eternity."
Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: Aeroman] #635138
04/05/20 08:00 PM
04/05/20 08:00 PM
Buckinghamshire
NickCW Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
NickCW  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Buckinghamshire
Originally Posted by Ale_72
I haven't sort it out yet. And I read somewhere that wikipedia is pretty picky with images.
I am a newbie as well and I am learning by trying.

Well done Ale, I've just looked at the new Aero 8 Wiki site and there's some great content. However, there are also some bloopers including in the first sentence on the Series 1 "and designed by the firm's designer Matthew Humphries." I'm afraid that this is incorrect as Matt Humphries was not involved in any way with Morgan at this time. Matt's first Morgan car design was the AeroMax, he sent the basic design of it to CM when he was at Coventry University and joined Morgan on a KTP programme, see LinkedIn Incidentally, I picked up my first Aero 8 - Series 1 'Kermit' in 2002, having delayed the build somewhat.

The Aero 8 shape evolved in the traditional Morgan way of form follows function and the main players were Chris Lawrence, Charles Morgan and other members of the Morgan Engineering Team, and Norman Kent of Survirn Engineering Ltd - especially for the tooling of the Aero wings.

Radshape were heavily involved in the chassis (Graham Chapman, the current MMC Development Director was working for them at that time) and Superform with much of the body panels, both companies eventually producing for MMC when the car was launched. I'll reread the Wiki entry and let you have any possible other comments in due course.

This is correct, I have the literature to confirm but haven't gotten around to updating it yet!
It was on my to do list but I made so many edits I forgot this one and lost track...

Will try to do it later if I can.

I know it's correct, it was checked too and also confirmed by Matt Humphries on his LinkedIn account! coffee

Rightio - updated the headlights section, let me know if you think that reads ok Aeroman.
Rereading my post earlier it might have come across as though I was being slightly pedantic, not intentional merely a lack of sleep with a very little one - but I feel I should clarify to remove all doubt.

I will try to update the designer section tomorrow morning, I feel I probably need some sleep to get it worded correctly.

If you have any more interesting info on the Aero's that isn't mentioned elsewhere, i'd love to hear it - even if it doesn't make it into the Wiki.

Cheers cheers

Aero 8 S1
M3W - Green Shark

"What we do in life.. echoes in eternity."
Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: NickCW] #635330
05/05/20 12:19 PM
05/05/20 12:19 PM
Eton, Berks
Aeroman Offline
Talk Morgan Guru
Aeroman  Offline
Talk Morgan Guru

Eton, Berks
Interesting - I can't remember who told me before but I am sure I recall being told it was an old wives tale so to speak, in reality it seems it was likely a culmination of both!
I shall update the wording, thanks for checking. smile

It could well be a culmination of both, but knowing Morgan I’m sure the Porsche headlamp was rejected based on cost, but the Beetle headlamp was available and the right price and the ability to incorporate a front spoiler was probably serendipity! Who knows?!!

As regards Aero info/stories, after buying six Aero’s from the factory I do have loads of these though most of them are not capable of being published!

Cheers
cheers

Brian

Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: NickCW] #635334
05/05/20 12:31 PM
05/05/20 12:31 PM
Eton, Berks
Aeroman Offline
Talk Morgan Guru
Aeroman  Offline
Talk Morgan Guru

Eton, Berks

Rightio - updated the headlights section, let me know if you think that reads ok Aeroman.
Rereading my post earlier it might have come across as though I was being slightly pedantic, not intentional merely a lack of sleep with a very little one - but I feel I should clarify to remove all doubt.

I will try to update the designer section tomorrow morning, I feel I probably need some sleep to get it worded correctly.

If you have any more interesting info on the Aero's that isn't mentioned elsewhere, i'd love to hear it - even if it doesn't make it into the Wiki.

Cheers cheers

OK Nick, no issues - most of us have been there there (little ones that is!) at some point!

Have read the amended Wikipedia, but leave it to Ale to act as Editor so there is some consistency on the Wiki. As said before loads of Aero stuff over the years, but most of it is unprintable! oops

Cheers too cheers

Brian

Re: Update Wiki page for the Aero 8 [Re: Ale_72] #635335
05/05/20 12:37 PM
05/05/20 12:37 PM
Zurich, Milan
Ale_72 Offline OP
Has a lot to Say!
Ale_72  Offline OP
Has a lot to Say!

Zurich, Milan
No please tell me what is crap and where.
The combo of language/time/sections is driving me mad. I am not sure anymore of what shall I update where.
Nick and thecustomer are really doing a great job on the wiki page itself. Thanks again to everybody. For the input and the updates.

PS adding pics it's supereasy smile

2010 Violet Aero Supersports | 2010 White Boxster Spyder
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon