Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
21 registered members (M3W55, RedThree, TBM, AndyrIch, PuddleMonkey, marshalben, LightSpeed, Richard Wood, dmh, teifistar, Craig Jezz, thelastgizmo, Rog G, Snowden, sospan, mph, Stephen888, John Winn, B3MOG, sprinty, RobCol), 133 guests, and 38 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 445
+8Rich 409
Hawki 180
Newest Topics
Hi from Hereford
by Tally Ho. 10/07/20 04:33 PM
Another Oxfordshire newbie
by Aeromax76. 10/07/20 03:58 PM
Electric digger
by TimG. 10/07/20 08:08 AM
Forever Cars -Tiking
by TimG. 10/07/20 08:00 AM
Sweet Painted Lady
by +8Rich. 09/07/20 09:15 PM
door handle cylinder barrels
by BigLes. 09/07/20 07:19 PM
E10 Fuel Parts
by DaveK. 09/07/20 02:23 PM
Latest Photos
Another Great Escape. Caister Motor Museum
RUY255 on Autosport Cover
why we love living in the mountains
Our 2020 Morgan Plus 4   110 Anniversary Model
My new Plus Four
Newest Members
Saxonian, GlenB 4475, Simon m wright, dominicalbarn, Sib8292
7053 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics38,750
Posts637,062
Members7,053
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Stevey B, Sukram, waikiore
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: MOG 615] #640809
28/05/20 09:44 AM
28/05/20 09:44 AM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline OP
Member of the Inner Circle
+8Rich  Offline OP

Devonshire

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the cat-delete pipes.
Mine has the standard manifold but Librands Sport exhaust and I often find I end up with a headache after a longer run but well worth it for the quality sound, it's not a wake the neighbours up sound more of a pleasing one they tell me.
I wear hearing aids and have often wondered what it would sound like with straight throughs - I have answered my own question I've heard enough on the race track which like those Mercs is where they belong.

We have a couple of them in the village and I love hearing them when we are out for a walk but it must be annoying passing your house all the time.

I just love this sound but at a time and venue of my choosing. Sadly they are no more I understand, I think we have to go to Bathurst now for current racing in this league.

At least we get a good sound track at Goodwood FOS and Revival and long may it last I'm really going to miss these events this year they are the premier events of the year and the only one's I'll travel for.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1994 Connaught Green +8 prev

Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: PeterG] #640811
28/05/20 10:37 AM
28/05/20 10:37 AM
London
MOG 615 Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
MOG 615  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

London
Originally Posted by PeterG
Mine are more than acceptable at cruising speed (11 hours to Germany no issues) only let out a pop on down shift, now and again. I have had them from new so don't know any difference so I am not sure if they would be a shock to the system going from rears or de cats?

Thanks for the advice Peter , I am certainly wanting to try them.

I assume you need to remove them before each MoT test in order to pass emissions.

Andy G
1999 +8 , Indigo Blue.
Ex-John McKecknie/Mike Duncan 1955 +4 racer.
Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: +8Rich] #640812
28/05/20 10:45 AM
28/05/20 10:45 AM
Hampshire
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Alistair  Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Talk Morgan Guru

Hampshire
Andy G there is some information I can share if you have not already been through the entire subject.

The drone that is talked about at set speeds is usually due to resonance. Most modern cars have a resonator in one of the boxes which takes out standing frequencies without significantly increasing back pressure or breathing. It would be worth checking if any boxes you have contain one. I know the dual sidepipe boxes on the Coupe are quite loud on the motorway and I often manually switch to 5th (autobox) which raises the revs slightly and makes it more comfy at 70ish mph. I believe when you delete a box it is usually the centre box and this is where the resonator is located making it start to drone.

I guess you are aware that the cat downpipe removal will make the car technically illegal should you be stopped. It will also fail an MoT. I did do this on a car a few years ago but the ache of having to switch it back for the MoT was not worth the effort compared to having a set of sport cats fitted. These were not cheap but are much better. Aero Racing do offer uprated Sports cats, I think the Coupe has them.

All the pops and crackles from the modern turbo cars are artificially created by the engine management system though the introduction of petrol at the wrong time!

I am guessing that you are going to have the tune adjusted to match the revised breathing on the car, I would be interested to who/how as I would love to put a little more horsepower in the Coupe if it was practical. It's plenty quick however a little more edge would still be fun. PM if there is anything I can do to help.

Just time to burn a little more petrol before dinner.
Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: MOG 615] #640815
28/05/20 11:14 AM
28/05/20 11:14 AM
Essex
PeterG Offline
Has a lot to Say!
PeterG  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Essex
The car passes its emissions test with flying colours each year, much to the surprise of the tester. Handbrake on the other hand is always, discussed shall we say smile

Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: MOG 615] #640816
28/05/20 11:18 AM
28/05/20 11:18 AM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline

Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted by MOG 615
I am all for letting the V8 "rumble" and "growl" out from a V8, and I am currently searching for some cat-delete pipes to allow me to release a few more of the "right" notes.

However I have been warned that in doing so I will make the car much more tiresome for cruising at speed. Without trying I really don't know whether this will be the case or not , but I want to tackle it and find out.

I must say that the current crop of "hot" saloon cars , mainly Mercs, who speed up and down our busy suburban road ( fairly steep hill with multiple speeds bumps) popping and banging on lift off do get on my nerves , especially at night.

I have the standard system, I think, but as the car was a development one it isn't possible to be 100% certain!
It is also an automatic.
On a long run in sports mode, which doesn't use 6th, it does drone, but in normal mode, which uses 6th, it is quiet.

swmbo has a Mercedes AMG C43 Coupe, a V6 butwith the full AMG "I want to sound like a hooligan" sound option selectable in all driving modes. In Sport Plus mode the car makes the full spectrum of pops, belches, farts and burbles. Honestly, anti-social, but strangely compelling... In the Hindhead Tunnel it is mega.. hide

Peter,
Tarka the 'Otter Mog
2014 Plus 8

Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: PeterG] #640817
28/05/20 11:23 AM
28/05/20 11:23 AM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Peter J  Offline

Salisbury, UK
The car passes its emissions test with flying colours each year, much to the surprise of the tester. Handbrake on the other hand is always, discussed shall we say smile

My son has a Ford Focus ST, the 5 cylinder "Folvo" engine. It looks as if it has cats, but they have been gutted and a straight through pipe fitted. It is vital that the cats appear to be in place as on cars after a certain date if the cats are absent a VOSA Roadside check will result in the MOT being immediately cancelled, which invalidates insurance and they impound the car.
His car also has a re-map. It passes its MOT emissions without any issues.
It is very tempting to go the same route...

The Aero handbrake issue is well known and it usually gets an advisory, if not a fail.
I'm told that driving to the MOT test with the handbrake slightly on, or taking the pads out and abrading, them both help.

Last edited by Peter J; 28/05/20 11:26 AM. Reason: addition

Peter,
Tarka the 'Otter Mog
2014 Plus 8

Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: +8Rich] #640820
28/05/20 11:32 AM
28/05/20 11:32 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Luddite  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
L

Andy G, I picked up on your curiosity relative to less efficient silencing on a Morgan on a long journey and thought to share my limited experience..which will be more personal than scientific..(-: I guess much may depend on that which you might identify as a long trip..? I suspect the longest we made was a round trip of circa 4k miles. My old +8 when cruising on the m/way at 70mph sits roughly around 2.5k revs and at those steady speeds it sounds a bit like a large motorboat with it`s exhaust somewhat silenced by being submerged in burbling water.. with the hood down conversation can be restricted or perhaps more likely not much engaged in, unless arguing over map reading skills... (-: But then we are typing of a Sports Car as opposed to a Grand Tourer thus I suspect the more realistic amongst us might imagine an Aston, or Porsche might be a tad more suited in terms of degrees of isolation from the driver/passenger experience..?

In town traffic making progress in the usual stop go lines of traffic when logically(?) there may be little desire to attract attention, the old Mog can purr along, though good luck in not attracting attention other than by the sound of your exhaust emissions.... Though, some cities may not allow cat-less cars entry..?

Of course if you make use of the LOUD pedal in any situation even for a second be that on initial firing up or for a quick overtake, for sure you will be noticed, and in doing so, perhaps induce a measure of annoyance or sheer delight for others who are within earshot..? Given all of that, it seems best to be aware of all the implications before modifying an exhaust system...?

I admit to being a petrol head who likes fire breathing monsters and mechanical noise never more so that in Vintage race bred machinery, such is music to my ears and senses in general so it seems logical that my priorities lie in that direction given I bought into the idea of ownership from that very Vintage perspective, However as I type this I turned to my good lady and asked her impression of the Morgan exhaust note relative to whether she ever became annoyed by it, we discussed the wind noise compared to the exhaust tone, and with sidescreens in place as she prefers in the UK other than on the very rare hot days, it seems her thinking was that there was no great deal of difference in any situation, even hood up while the mechanical noise increases, it is a fact of life that in comparison with more usual transportation in mundanemobiles, travelling in a Morgan is a very different audio experience.... I have a radio fitted, but have never used it while driving..! but then I just like the sound of my old Mog...(-:

Truth be told when I first carried out my usual checks I found witness marks of tyre rub on the SS exhaust pipes and tried adjusting the pipes to get them closer to the chassis, and found that the diameter of the SS resonators/silencers inhibited my ability to a degree. I removed the silencers and replaced them with a bit of SS pipe of the appropriate diameter and length which allowed me to create a tad more distance between tyre and pipe, though I noted I still seem to induce witness marks to appear, even though my springs are in no way tired out....I suspected the old Mog might be too raucous and was presently surprised to find that not to be the case. As for possible concerns re the witness marks, Given the distance between tyre and pipe, It seemed obvious that the only time such contact might be made may well be more related to rather "enthusiastic" driving as opposed to more normal progress...? I suspect that cart springs utilised in Vintage sports cars may ever have exhibited such issues, perhaps side exit or panhard rods were a natural progression...(-: Along similar lines, my front tyres have a bit of original MMC right angle alloy material bolted to the chassis, perhaps as protection for the tyre should it too come into contact with aspects of the Mogs structure while rotating and on hard lock...Just another vintage design follow on perhaps ..and that is all part of what I bought into when I thought a Mog was perhaps THE car for me.... and that was perhaps 25 years ago..(-:

Sorry I do tend to ramble on somewhat and drifted off topic, the eMog webmaster would ever gently reprimand me for doing so as it seemingly annoys some folk...!

Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: MOG 615] #640828
28/05/20 11:55 AM
28/05/20 11:55 AM
Lampeter, Wales
Jon G4LJW Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Jon G4LJW  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Lampeter, Wales
Originally Posted by MOG 615
I am all for letting the V8 "rumble" and "growl" out from a V8, and I am currently searching for some cat-delete pipes to allow me to release a few more of the "right" notes.

However I have been warned that in doing so I will make the car much more tiresome for cruising at speed. Without trying I really don't know whether this will be the case or not , but I want to tackle it and find out.

I must say that the current crop of "hot" saloon cars , mainly Mercs, who speed up and down our busy suburban road ( fairly steep hill with multiple speeds bumps) popping and banging on lift off do get on my nerves , especially at night.

One thing I've found in the Plus 4 is that having the roof on created a resonance at certain cruising speeds, so long journeys were sometimes tiresome after a while. It's much better with the roof off - in many ways!

Re: Plus 8 50th sounds [Re: PeterG] #640848
28/05/20 03:25 PM
28/05/20 03:25 PM
East Anglia
madmax Offline
Charter Member
madmax  Offline
Charter Member

East Anglia
Sounds nice albeit a little tame with those tail pipes innocent

Agreed , side pipes are definitely lovely ! viking

Geneva 2016 plus 8' The Green Godess' 4 side exits .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon