Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (ChrisConvertible, NZPlusSix, sospan, kiwi100), 248 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 305
OZ 4/4 185
John V6 182
CooperMan 158
RichardV6 137
Newest Members
Captain Morgan, CVH44, Ruffy, Morgan76, RogerEB
8107 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Automatic transmission swap on a 60's +4?
by flaagan. 19/08/22 10:47 PM
Apple security threat today..?
by Luddite. 19/08/22 07:13 PM
Brake Recall - A Related Issue
by Budster. 19/08/22 02:21 PM
Seat belt reel problem
by bmgermany. 19/08/22 01:22 PM
New Zealand Floods
by OZ 4/4. 19/08/22 10:30 AM
Hello from France
by lolo106. 19/08/22 10:15 AM
And to add to the Linux tale - now Apple
by Graham, G4FUJ. 19/08/22 09:34 AM
Latest Photos
My 1991 Plus 8
Morgan Super 4 EV
4/4 75th Anniversary
Around the Cairngorms
Big Skies
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics43,892
Posts739,270
Members8,107
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
DWF, ORacer
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: KennethM] #641306
30/05/20 08:38 PM
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Paul F Offline
Part of the Furniture
Paul F  Offline
Part of the Furniture

Costock, South Nottinghamshire...

Originally Posted by KennethM
At risk of stating obvious, should be a wire along one edge - it should be at the top and can be moulded to the bridge of the nose to keep most of the exhale off the specs! Also, try washing specs with washing up liquid - rinse off and let dry - sometimes (depends on air temp and humidity) helps to prevent the misting for an hour or two at least.

Washing up liquid has a lot of salt in it which destroys the lens coatings on modern spectacles. I have a pair somewhere which demonstrate this.

Paul
Costock, UK
2014 4/4 Rolls Royce Garnet Red
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Peter J] #641307
Llanelli
sospan Online happy
Talk Morgan Guru
sospan  Online Happy
Talk Morgan Guru

Llanelli
Years ago I had a mask for when we were adding lead to steel during the casting. It was a rubber one with cannisters. It waste robust and a tight fit. It left marks on your face. I also made a point of staying upwind as well. The people actually handling the lead had two lockers, for clean and dirty clothes, blood tests every 3 months.
As for the lightweight masks for diy I have 3M ones with the mouldable nose insert to seal the fit. The only time the safety glasses mist up is when that nose seal is poor. The key for effectiveness is getting a good, tight seal. The nose area is easier but the sides on the cheeks is the weak area. I see many wearing these lightweight or home made versions and they are poor. I have a beard too so the cheek and jaw areas would need VERY tight masks. Even the diy ones sold in B&Q and other stores have varying specs for each type of hazardous environment, usually based on particle size.
I think that the masks widely used are not full medical spec so might only limit transfer from the wearer but not fully contain a sneeze/cough. I bet people use the same one many times and their hand to mask hygiene sadly lacking.
I wore a 3M mask and glasses a couple of days ago while sanding some mdf in the garage. Full head elastic not behind the ears so gives a tighter fit.

Last edited by sospan; 30/05/20 08:48 PM.

Red Plus8
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Paul F] #641310
30/05/20 08:43 PM
30/05/20 08:43 PM
Devon, UK
KennethM Offline
L - Learner Plates On
KennethM  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Devon, UK
Originally Posted by Paul F

Washing up liquid has a lot of salt in it which destroys the lens coatings on modern spectacles. I have a pair somewhere which demonstrate this.

I stand corrected - hand soap?

Ken
2003 +8 35th Anniv. Model
1996 Jaguar XJS Celebration
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Peter J] #641314
30/05/20 09:02 PM
30/05/20 09:02 PM
San Mateo, CA
Kolvites Offline
Just Getting Started
Kolvites  Offline
Just Getting Started

San Mateo, CA
Masks Are Symbolic,’ say Dr Fauci and The New England Journal of Medicine
By Jim Hoft Gateway Pundit
Published May 28, 2020 at 12:13pm
Guest post by Bill Hennessey

In the past week, Dr. Anthony Fauci and the New England Journal of Medicine have admitted that masks are little more than symbols. Virtue signaling.
For those of you who shout “science” like it’s a Tourette tick, this is from the New England Journal of Medicine on May 21, 2020:
We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

So, why are we ordered to wear masks? Symbolism. From the same article in NEJM:
“It is also clear that masks serve symbolic roles. Masks are not only tools, they are also talismans that may help increase health care workers’ perceived sense of safety, well-being, and trust in their hospitals.”

The Surgeon General was widely mocked and ridiculed for suggesting in March that masks might even increase the spread of the virus. Yet, here, the esteemed New England Journal of Medicine provides the same warning to mask-wearers:
What is clear, however, is that universal masking alone is not a panacea. A mask will not protect providers caring for a patient with active Covid-19 if it’s not accompanied by meticulous hand hygiene, eye protection, gloves, and a gown. A mask alone will not prevent health care workers with early Covid-19 from contaminating their hands and spreading the virus to patients and colleagues. Focusing on universal masking alone may, paradoxically, lead to more transmission of Covid-19 if it diverts attention from implementing more fundamental infection-control measures.
Thus, the argument is over. Anyone who advocates universal masking is merely engaging in virtue signaling, not public health.
It’s time to unmask. I, for one, don’t have enough virtue to signal.

Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Peter J] #641349
31/05/20 07:26 AM
31/05/20 07:26 AM
Mandello del Lario
Gambalunga Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
Gambalunga  Offline

Mandello del Lario
Notices have appeared at our local hospital "Pronto Soccorso" (Emergency) to remove gloves before entering. They have realised that most people wearing gloves have touched everything in sight and that the gloves are more contaminated than the bare hands which can be easily sanitised.

It drives me nuts that bar, restaurant, shop staff have to wear gloves and then often take payment wearing the same gloves. If at all possible we pay contactless using the phone. Samsung now probably knows where we shop and what we buy in detail but I would rather that than handle the money that has passed who knows how many hands in the last 24 hours.

Regarding masks: the main idea of everyone wearing masks is that healthy carriers of the virus do not pass the virus on to others. The idea is not personal protection. Surgical type masks do this reasonably well if worn correctly. (we have them with the wire and no matter how I try to form it I still get my glasses fog up if I put them on to read something.)

[Linked Image]

The 3M mask referred to is probably of the type worn by medical staff when working in an area where they need personal protection from contagious patients. Many of them have a valve to allow the easy exhalation. Obviously a correctly fitted mask of this type should not fog up glasses but the valve allows the exhalation of an infected person to enter the environment. Obviously this does not protect the next person.
I have seen film of medical staff working in Covid wards and equiped with such a mask wearing an ordinary disposable mask under it.

Peter

[Linked Image]
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Peter J] #641352
31/05/20 07:30 AM
31/05/20 07:30 AM
Suffolk
John V6 Offline
Brooklands Register contact
John V6  Offline

Suffolk
God point on the gloves. Yes I do everything contactless where I can.
My glasses also steam up

JohnV6
2014 Brooklands Edition Roadster "Brookland's Belle" #5 of 50
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Peter J] #641360
31/05/20 08:20 AM
31/05/20 08:20 AM
Chester, UK
Grumpy2 Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Grumpy2  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Chester, UK
Well this is quite topical.

Last night I was settling in with a glass of Malt when I got a call from my neighbour (80 and fragile). He'd tripped helping his severely disabled wife and badly cut his foot. Got dressed and ran round (nitrile gloves and 3m dust mask) blood spurting from his foot. Did the best first aid I could to stem the flow, (elevation and tight bandage). Struggling to see with misted up glasses.

Now to add more complication, my wife is medically shielding and must avoid all contact with others (including me to a large extent) and my neighbour 'isn't bothered anymore' after the Cummings affair and goes out left right and centre and has numerous visitors to keep him and his wife company.

Cut to the chase and 2 1/2 hours later the ambulance arrives and wants to take him to hospital but he refuses because of his wife. Wound cleaned and bandaged at 3 hours his drunken son arrives in a taxi after a 50 mile ride, medics still in attendance.

I come home and strip off in the garage, hose myself off in the garden (garden hose) then run in and have a proper shower. All my clothes will go in the wash this morning and my crap PPE is obviously in the bin.

I'll now stay well out of the way of my wife for at least another 7 days.

To my mind this is a clear case where testing should apply - not necessarily me but certainly my neighbour and his wife.

Cummings has done huge damage if not physically then certainly psychologically.

94 plus 8 in Westminster Green - I think!
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Peter J] #641361
31/05/20 08:26 AM
31/05/20 08:26 AM
Dorset, UK
milligoon Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
milligoon  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Dorset, UK
You do realise that you can wash and sanitise rubber gloves the same as bare hands don't you? You just don't end up with bleeding knuckles.

I sometimes wonder if people put more effort into seeing problems, you should become TV hosts or journalists.

Peter it's quite difficult, unless the mask is the vented exhale type which only protects the wearer and not others, given that initially medical staff were replacing masks every 15 minutes, it makes you wonder what is living in a mask that is worn all day long.

Masks may eliviate some hay fever reactions as a plus.

I see masks as a physiological placebo to a large degree, unless the users decontaminate properly then they become a potential biohazard by their very nature of trapping particulate matter unless the self sanitise.

Maybe a dab of glue along the top edge would stop them steaming your glasses up laugh2

Mark - No Longer driving
Archie the Old English Sheep Mog...........
2010 Roadster 3.0 V6 (S3) wink
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Grumpy2] #641364
31/05/20 08:45 AM
31/05/20 08:45 AM
Suffolk
John V6 Offline
John V6  Offline

Suffolk
Originally Posted by Grumpy2

Last night I was settling in with a glass of Malt when I got a call from my neighbour (80 and fragile). He'd tripped helping his severely disabled wife and badly cut his foot. Got dressed and ran round (nitrile gloves and 3m dust mask) blood spurting from his foot. Did the best first aid I could to stem the flow, (elevation and tight bandage). Struggling to see with misted up glasses.

Now to add more complication, my wife is medically shielding and must avoid all contact with others (including me to a large extent) and my neighbour 'isn't bothered anymore' after the Cummings affair and goes out left right and centre and has numerous visitors to keep him and his wife company.

Cut to the chase and 2 1/2 hours later the ambulance arrives and wants to take him to hospital but he refuses because of his wife. Wound cleaned and bandaged at 3 hours his drunken son arrives in a taxi after a 50 mile ride, medics still in attendance.

I come home and strip off in the garage, hose myself off in the garden (garden hose) then run in and have a proper shower. All my clothes will go in the wash this morning and my crap PPE is obviously in the bin.

To my mind this is a clear case where testing should apply - not necessarily me but certainly my neighbour and his wife.

Wow quite a tale. I agree testing would help. I hope it works out OK for you.

JohnV6
2014 Brooklands Edition Roadster "Brookland's Belle" #5 of 50
Re: Wearing Face Masks [Re: Grumpy2] #641366
31/05/20 09:04 AM
31/05/20 09:04 AM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
Tricky Dicky
+8Rich  Offline
Tricky Dicky

Devonshire
Originally Posted by Grumpy2

Well done what a tale, I wish your neighbour and you both well in these strange days.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1993 Connaught Green +8 prev

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  TalkMorgan