Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
14 registered members (Hamwich, Fuel.inj, bmgermany, RedThree, tmg513, Garethseries1, Michael P, SimonH, Redfate, CooperMan, IcePack, MJF, HJP, Image), 187 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 383
John V6 323
CooperMan 137
Alistair 123
Newest Topics
M3W North Devon Day Trip
by chocadoodledoo. 14/08/20 05:47 PM
Mg midget and Morgans
by nick w. 14/08/20 03:07 PM
Rosie`s Pig
by PhilRoyle. 14/08/20 02:30 PM
Aero8 s4
by Simon m wright. 14/08/20 02:17 PM
Image posting
by Image. 14/08/20 01:37 PM
Changing colour of Mohair hood cover?
by PaulJ. 14/08/20 01:24 PM
Fantomworks Garage
by TBM. 14/08/20 01:20 PM
Latest Photos
Sunnier times ahead
riding through the montains
SNOWDONIA B4407/A543
GTN Soft top re-fitted
GTN Visors
Newest Members
Paul Johnson, Jim5961, Renat, StephanCarstens, Allthegearnoidea
7100 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,079
Posts643,464
Members7,100
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
2to3wheels
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fitting BRB, King pin Oiler Bolt Problem #648581
04/07/20 03:32 PM
04/07/20 03:32 PM
Amberley, OH, USA
NelsonG Offline OP
Just Getting Started
NelsonG  Offline OP
Just Getting Started

Amberley, OH, USA
Hello all,

In the same vein as 'perfect is the enemy of good' or if you prefer Shakespeare, "Striving to better oft we mar what's well," I believe I have really jacked up one of my king pin oiler bolts. Was fitting a brake reaction bar to the right side, removed the oiler nipple, got the oiler bolt out, no problem. With the BRB on it was trying to screw it back in, but really struggled to get it lined up (did I miss a good thread on that? people say it but nobody says how they get through it).

Tried a few things to get the king pin a bit more aligned, thought I had it set. Hand turned, thought it had caught, used ratchet, wasn't moving. Took it out. It appears I have completely trashed the first 3/8" of threads, all flattened to nothing. Still not entirely sure how I did that, but it is what it is. While I suspect there'd be enough metal in the thread remaining to adequately hold the whole thing together, the thread's messed up to the point where I doubt I can get it to catch, even if I removed and replaced/realigned the king pin. I would need to chase the thread with a 1/2 BSF-16 die (which is what I believe that bolt to be). But is it worth that? Also, there's a real possibility both sides are now screwed up, or why would it have happened in the first place?

At this point, is trying to fix it a waste of effort for what would end up being a weak point, and a liability at speed? Is not a matter of replacing the oiler bolt, I don't think anyone sells the BSF bolts, suspect mine is original. Either I make a new one, remove king pin and chase that hole as well with a BSF tap, or I swap out both king pin and bolt, in order to have a king pin threaded for the newer 1/2" UNF threaded oiler bolt.

What do you think? Big ramifications because if I'm putting in a new set of pins and bolts, would be the best time to go whole-hog and put in an SSL front suspension set with the bushes, springs, steering bearings and such.

thoughts appreciated. so frustrating, but then again, its stuff like this that adds to the flavor of being a Morgan driver.

-Nelson

Last edited by NelsonG; 04/07/20 03:33 PM.

- Nelson

1966 Plus 4 RHD
Re: Fitting BRB, King pin Oiler Bolt Problem [Re: NelsonG] #648621
04/07/20 06:50 PM
04/07/20 06:50 PM
A
Arwyn Williams Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Arwyn Williams  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
A

Best way to ensure king pin alignment is to use a old screw driver or hex key. The one I use is an old 10mm crosshead screwdriver shortened to about 4".

Can you confirm that the damage is to the top bolt/oiler bolt? If so, it would be preferable to replace the bolt. Replacement bolts are readily available from the usual sources though. I might have a spare one in my stores, but it will be second hand - I'll check in the morning.

The threads in the kingpin would need to be cleaned up with a tap as these will probably have been damaged too.

Regarding liability at speed, in theory no as the kingpin is clamped into the crosshead by the bottom bolts. In practice, who knows?

Arwyn

Re: Fitting BRB, King pin Oiler Bolt Problem [Re: NelsonG] #648630
04/07/20 07:38 PM
04/07/20 07:38 PM
Amberley, OH, USA
NelsonG Offline OP
Just Getting Started
NelsonG  Offline OP
Just Getting Started

Amberley, OH, USA
Most definitely it’s the top bolt that the Oiler fitting connects to. If I figure out how to post a pic I’ll do it.

If you have an old one I’ll give it a shot, thanks for checking.

- Nelson

1966 Plus 4 RHD
Re: Fitting BRB, King pin Oiler Bolt Problem [Re: NelsonG] #648653
04/07/20 09:55 PM
04/07/20 09:55 PM
East Harling, Norfolk UK
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
Richard Wood  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

East Harling, Norfolk UK
You need to line up kingpin then engage threads of oiler bolt by hand before even considering tightening with spanner or socket. I've found one side will engage on first attempt but other side will be a PIA. Strangely this seems to follow through with many aspects of car maintenance swear Having an alignment tool close to minor diameter of kingpin thread helps, I use a tapered drift. Leaving BRB (if you have them) chassis fitting very loose also helps, tightening only after oiler bolt fully engaged.

Last edited by Richard Wood; 04/07/20 10:17 PM.

Richard

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1966 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1960 Velocette Venom
Re: Fitting BRB, King pin Oiler Bolt Problem [Re: NelsonG] #648674
05/07/20 01:35 AM
05/07/20 01:35 AM
Amberley, OH, USA
NelsonG Offline OP
Just Getting Started
NelsonG  Offline OP
Just Getting Started

Amberley, OH, USA
Yes, I’ve unfortunately learned that the hard way. banghead In lieu of a tapered drift I took a 1/2” bolt and ground the treads off of the first inch or so. I thought it worked reasonable well, but maybe I should have tapered a longer segment. Is possible that In trying to align the king pin I put too much pressure on the top threads and that led to my Oiler bolt getting stripped. Won’t know until I drop the king pin out of there. Waiting until I get a 1/2” BSF tap before I pull the whole thing apart. Once I do I may discover the pins are worn enough to merit changing. Will have to see. A great adventure so far.

Last edited by NelsonG; 05/07/20 01:38 AM.

- Nelson

1966 Plus 4 RHD

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon