Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (OZ 4/4, Richard Wood, DaveW, Image, GARYMYNARD, Hamwich, Terence, Tresco, BuyBritish, M3W55, tmg513, Mkiss, bilibib, linklaw, MarioCP, RedThree, petemog, Deejay, DavidR, JohnMat, Arwyn Williams, B3MOG, Tally Ho, TBM, madmax), 167 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 383
John V6 323
CooperMan 136
Alistair 123
Newest Topics
M3W North Devon Day Trip
by chocadoodledoo. 14/08/20 05:47 PM
Mg midget and Morgans
by nick w. 14/08/20 03:07 PM
Rosie`s Pig
by PhilRoyle. 14/08/20 02:30 PM
Aero8 s4
by Simon m wright. 14/08/20 02:17 PM
Image posting
by Image. 14/08/20 01:37 PM
Changing colour of Mohair hood cover?
by PaulJ. 14/08/20 01:24 PM
Fantomworks Garage
by TBM. 14/08/20 01:20 PM
Latest Photos
Sunnier times ahead
riding through the montains
SNOWDONIA B4407/A543
GTN Soft top re-fitted
GTN Visors
Newest Members
Paul Johnson, Jim5961, Renat, StephanCarstens, Allthegearnoidea
7100 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,079
Posts643,451
Members7,100
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
2to3wheels
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Buy in haste, repent at leisure... #649959
11/07/20 08:47 PM
11/07/20 08:47 PM
Oxford
A
Aeromax76 Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan
Aeromax76  Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan
A

Oxford
My Aeromax journey.
I have a steadily growing list of items that require attention. I am therefore wondering what views there are on getting work done at the factory, Melvyn Rutter or somewhere else.
Wiper blades, particularly the nearside one is splitting at both ends, seems to catch on the windscreen rubber. Any solutions?
The middle wiper appears to lack any strength, it barely tickles the screen when in use. Perhaps requires adjustment and tightening.
The windscreen rubber itself has perished and taken a small section of paint with it. I'm being advised glass out job to touch up paint and redo the rubber trim, probably resulting in broken glass. New windscreen would be needed and I'm not sure on availability of screens. Leather trim inside appears to be glued to windscreen, that will need to be considered by the removers and fitters.
Bodywork that holds the front number plate has clearly taken a small knock which I never noticed until I washed the car, so that needs repairing.
Interior leather trim that covers the lower rear glass screen latches has come away and seems only to be attached by sticky back plastic.
Also one latch on the lower part of the nearside rear screen doesn't actually meet the hole in the metal... eek!!!
Found a foot long thin black rubber tube in the footwell when rummaging - no idea where that goes.
Apart from the above, everything mechanical is in fine fettle.
Alex

"We come this way but once"
2009 Morgan Aeromax, 2007 Audi RS4 Avant
Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #649965
11/07/20 09:15 PM
11/07/20 09:15 PM
UK (up north)
Dean-Royal Offline
Part of the Furniture
Dean-Royal  Offline
Part of the Furniture

UK (up north)
I will await the wiper blade solution as mine are the same.

www.generalpaint.biz/color.php Problem with your Colour, we offer TM members impartial advice.
Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #649967
11/07/20 09:22 PM
11/07/20 09:22 PM
Hampton Hill, Middx.
DavidR Online NoMood
Learner Plates Off!
DavidR  Online NoMood
Learner Plates Off!

Hampton Hill, Middx.
Hi Alex, welcome to TM and to the wonderful world of Morgan ownership with all of it's highs and lows!

I have a 2009 S4 Aero and have my "work" done at Techniques up near Stevenage. They are very familiar with Aero's and I've certainly seen a Max in the workshop.
The wiper blades are a constant pain, most owners of all models seem to complain they are ineffective and difficult to get to fit well.
I think the screen is bonded in place, so is a major job to replace and I think getting a heated replacement is the issue.
The rear window hatches on the Max were subject to a revision, to stop them breaking. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what needed to be done.

Allon Whites near Bedford have a good trimmer working for them, so they could also be a good contact for the interior work.

There are a few current and ex owners of Aeromaxs on here and I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your questions properly.

Glad to hear that it is running well, enjoy it.

David
Aero S4
Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #649980
11/07/20 10:29 PM
11/07/20 10:29 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
+8Rich  Offline
Member of the Inner Circle

Devonshire
Alex, good luck with the repairs as David suggests these guys have a lot of experience.

Alistair on here has a Max and an Aero S2 I believe and he has Scottish heritage so will have a canny dealer service shop, he'll be along soon with some knowledge he's a very clever but modest likeable chap but keep it to yourself thumbs

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1994 Connaught Green +8 prev

Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #649987
11/07/20 11:18 PM
11/07/20 11:18 PM
Essex
PeterG Offline
Has a lot to Say!
PeterG  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Essex
As per the rear glass screens there has been some issues with them and I know Melvyn has / had around a dozen sets in stock the other month. Enjoy the car smile

Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #649994
12/07/20 06:11 AM
12/07/20 06:11 AM
Oxford
A
Aeromax76 Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan
Aeromax76  Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan
A

Oxford
Thank you David, Rich and Peter.
Are there a few Max owners on here? I have already secured a pair of rear screens from Melvyn. I was speaking to him about the window rubber for the front windscreen. He said that the glazier required an order of 20 pairs before they would make any. I figured I'd better keep a spare set after reading the horror stories about rear screens. They are not cheap!
Thanks again.

"We come this way but once"
2009 Morgan Aeromax, 2007 Audi RS4 Avant
Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #650008
12/07/20 08:15 AM
12/07/20 08:15 AM
Seamill, Ayrshire
M
Max5 Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Max5  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
M

Seamill, Ayrshire
The thin black rubber tubing may be from the windscreen washers - check if both are working. On lesser Morgans they have a habit of detaching and spraying the passengers feet when the washers are used!

Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #650012
12/07/20 08:41 AM
12/07/20 08:41 AM
Essex/Herts border
Volvos60s60 Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Volvos60s60  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Essex/Herts border
There is some explanation of the butterfly window larch issues by a TM member 'twotribes' under the Fabulous Aeromax thread.

To quote him:

Not just open Andy - the butterfly windows have been known to fly off altogether at speed!

For this reason, the factory fit a set of extended studs and use a different window/hinge bonding agent if any Aeromaxes pass through for a factory service. By the time I sold my car, I was on my third set of window glasses, the second (rebonded at a factory service) set having shattered as my Son opened them on a scorching hot day. The Factory was very helpful, accepting that the hinge bond was hard to get right - too flexible and it allows enough play for the windows to fly open, and if too inflexible it doesn't allow for thermal expansion of the glass and it shatters - and fitted a third set which were fine, though the studs fixing the glass do slightly spoil the smooth lines.

Last edited by Volvos60s60; 12/07/20 08:42 AM.
Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #650018
12/07/20 09:23 AM
12/07/20 09:23 AM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
James B W Offline
Has a lot to Say!
James B W  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Originally Posted by Aeromax76
My Aeromax journey.
I have a steadily growing list of items that require attention. I am therefore wondering what views there are on getting work done at the factory, Melvyn Rutter or somewhere else.
Wiper blades, particularly the nearside one is splitting at both ends, seems to catch on the windscreen rubber. Any solutions?
The middle wiper appears to lack any strength, it barely tickles the screen when in use. Perhaps requires adjustment and tightening.
The windscreen rubber itself has perished and taken a small section of paint with it. I'm being advised glass out job to touch up paint and redo the rubber trim, probably resulting in broken glass. New windscreen would be needed and I'm not sure on availability of screens. Leather trim inside appears to be glued to windscreen, that will need to be considered by the removers and fitters.
Bodywork that holds the front number plate has clearly taken a small knock which I never noticed until I washed the car, so that needs repairing.
Interior leather trim that covers the lower rear glass screen latches has come away and seems only to be attached by sticky back plastic.
Also one latch on the lower part of the nearside rear screen doesn't actually meet the hole in the metal... eek!!!
Found a foot long thin black rubber tube in the footwell when rummaging - no idea where that goes.
Apart from the above, everything mechanical is in fine fettle.
Alex

Alex, others with more knowledge will (and have) suggested various fixes to the problems you mention.

My two penn'orth is that you can source better wiper blades from a number of sources (I used a Mini (the original, not BMW!) supply firm on eBay; others recommend Land Rover suppliers).
The blades might need to be cut down in length but it is worth the effort.

On my Aero8, the blade ends were catching the screen rubber so I fashioned little black 'end caps' from mouldable silicone.It is sold as 'Sugru" ;see here -

Sugru

- and is very useful stuff.

I can also recommend Shaun at Allon Whites for interior work - or you could DIY some bits ,but remember to use high temperature adhesive if you are re-sticking the leather ; this stuff is very good -

Spray adhesive

Enjoy your car; it looks great.... love

James

Aero8 , Series 1 - Boston Green
Range Rover Evoque S
Smart Brabus Convertible
Re: Buy in haste, repent at leisure... [Re: Aeromax76] #650044
12/07/20 11:24 AM
12/07/20 11:24 AM
Hampshire
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Alistair  Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Talk Morgan Guru

Hampshire
The issue with the wiper blades is common. Both the Series 2 and the Coupe need the blades replacing before the MoT each year as they rub/park on the frame and tear. The Coupe is actually worse than the S2 so development appears to have been open to question on that one. My local garage just ordered the correct profile of rubber and replaced the rubber blade in five mins.

You can still get the S2 and Coupe/SS screens however they did have a lead time. When the screen is replaced also be certain of the water tight seal. If water gets down behind the dash you have a lot of issues which you do not want to get into.

James - any chance of a photo of your adjustment sounds like it might be useful.

"they all do that" (and it does piss you off unless you drive it more then it gets into perspective)

Just time to burn a little more petrol before dinner.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon