Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online Now
18 registered members (GIB, FlatCapRacing, IcePack, Nickplus4, P964, Themorganeer, teifistar, B3MOG, RJW, WarBird, tmg513, Laurens, Gambalunga, SimonH, Ragnar, PhilRoyle, Ritchie B, Ian Wegg), 207 guests, and 33 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 381
John V6 323
CooperMan 137
Alistair 123
Newest Topics
M3W North Devon Day Trip
by chocadoodledoo. 14/08/20 05:47 PM
Mg midget and Morgans
by nick w. 14/08/20 03:07 PM
Rosie`s Pig
by PhilRoyle. 14/08/20 02:30 PM
Aero8 s4
by Simon m wright. 14/08/20 02:17 PM
Image posting
by Image. 14/08/20 01:37 PM
Changing colour of Mohair hood cover?
by PaulJ. 14/08/20 01:24 PM
Fantomworks Garage
by TBM. 14/08/20 01:20 PM
Latest Photos
Sunnier times ahead
riding through the montains
SNOWDONIA B4407/A543
GTN Soft top re-fitted
GTN Visors
Newest Members
Paul Johnson, Jim5961, Renat, StephanCarstens, Allthegearnoidea
7100 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,079
Posts643,471
Members7,100
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
2to3wheels
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rubber mat air dam #650658
15/07/20 02:45 AM
15/07/20 02:45 AM
1bigfish Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan
1bigfish  Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan

Does anyone have any feedback regarding this modification I read on gomog?

The best mod I have heard of (which we have not done to our Plus 8 yet) is to install the poor man's air dam by hanging a piece of floor mat rubber under the radiator to force the air that flows under the radiator to exit under the car (rather than trying to blow up into the engine compartment). This creates an extractor effect and sucks the air from the engine compartment (as well as air through the radiator). Couple that with a little foam padding between the radiator and cowl to insure that the air flowing through the grill flows through the radiator and most problems should be solved (assuming that the radiator is good in the first place).

Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650669
15/07/20 06:10 AM
15/07/20 06:10 AM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

South Yorkshire
I have neoprene side panels inside my cowl to stop air passing each side of the radiator, and an extended lower panel, plus an undertray which runs from the number plate box to the engine pulley. I recall Cain (Wolf) also fitted additional side pieces to his under tray.

A rubber mat will change angle at speed, so I'm not sure how effective it would be.

DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) AR Plus 4
Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650674
15/07/20 06:39 AM
15/07/20 06:39 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Luddite  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
L

The guys who hung around GoMoG and eMog while it was on the go had many years of experience in running in HOT climates, and to add to that many were afflicted with the desire to tune their old and new Morgans to the highest possible note, which lead to a lot of discussion on overheating issues over the years and with some folks who were skilled in research of in one area or another.

I seem to remember reference to tails of wool taped to bonnets etc.etc.etc., so it got pretty serious..Even a reference to the findings on White , or was it Mack truck wind tunnel testing... So a a lot of years of Morgan thinking and experience available on GoMoG.

Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650676
15/07/20 06:48 AM
15/07/20 06:48 AM
Reading
R
Rob Thornton Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Rob Thornton  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
R

Reading
I have found that the cooling issue only arises when the car is stuck in slow moving or stationary traffic for any length of time, particularly after a fastish run on a warm day. The airflow modifications in such a situation are therefore not wholly effective. I have also heard that the positioning of club badges on the badge bar can have an impact on air movement through the radiator. I have a high capacity alloy rad and use bonnet catch extenders which have helped a little.

Rob T
2001 Royal Ivory Plus 8
Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650684
15/07/20 07:50 AM
15/07/20 07:50 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Luddite  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
L

It seems kinda logical(?) that few if any Trad Morgans are identical to others and perhaps less so as they age dependant on many variables, least of which might be the way they are driven and maintained how much time they sit idle, then if you care to think that the engine bay and bonnet shape may not have changed much if at all over a timespan where the horse power of the standard engines MMC fitted increased considerably, add to that if you will the desire, nay belief, that as a Morganeer part of the faith is that you must MODIFY ...err...EVERYTHING.... (-:

There are all sorts of tuning toys available to force a new or even old engine to generate more power which of course generates more..err..HEAT. Even engines in their standard form, were designed to run hotter in the 90`s when lean burn technology was thought to then be the best/cheapest way to cut emissions amongst engine manufacturers...? That perhaps being the case, it seems the trad engine bay may be under a tad more pressure in terms of cooling air flow...?

Fortunately for me my old Morgan has to date (touching wood) not overheated to the extent it has ever spat out it`s coolant, though it may have been close to doing so in Italy when stuck in traffic where shutting down the engine was not an option due to starter motor relay issues, and during what had been the hottest Summer in many a year in that country. My good lady and myself were close to melting...even put the heater on to try to draw heat from the engine.... In a bid to create more air flow under the bonnet and through the rad or anywhere else it might come from, I removed the "cold" air trunking from the input to the filter housing... OK so the engine was now sucking in even hotter air which creates less efficient power output, but the priorities were more about cooling and not generating power/heat..! Now whether it helped or not I have no idea, but as I typed earlier, at least the old thing did not spit out it`s coolant, though I was sweating buckets, while my good lady was..err.. perspiring, and with a less than content look on her face..!!!

What works for my Morgan may not work for yours, it seems to be a more suck it and see sort of game that down to initial design MMC specifications, further complicated by some degree of customer "development" since it left the factory...?

Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650688
15/07/20 08:28 AM
15/07/20 08:28 AM
Sanderstead
Tim Crump Offline
Just Getting Started
Tim Crump  Offline
Just Getting Started

Sanderstead
Have a look at this video on YouTube Morgan +8 air flow study

Tim
Plus 4 2018
Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650694
15/07/20 09:11 AM
15/07/20 09:11 AM
Powick
tmg513 Online content
Talk Morgan Expert
tmg513  Online Content
Talk Morgan Expert

Powick
I made this modification years ago. For what it costs what is there to lose? Mine ran a bit warm in hot countries when I first got it and it certainly seemed to help.

https://www.gomog.com/BLAIR/tech/cooling/art020.html

This is the article for reference.

1972 4/4 2 Seater
Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650738
15/07/20 02:39 PM
15/07/20 02:39 PM
Evergreen, Colorado, USA
B
britmog Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
britmog  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
B

Evergreen, Colorado, USA
When I lived in California and drove the +8 on a daily basis to the studios in Burbank along the 210 Freeway and in slow moving traffic with normal ambient temperatures between 30-36C the car would run hot (120+)on the OEM set up. We local Moggers would experiment with the Gomog and Emog crew and I found the best set up was upgrading the puller fan with aluminium radiator along with sealing the sides and top which lowered the temp by 10-15 degrees. When driving in the desert at 39-45C I used the rubber damper (old car floor mat), my experience indicates that it does draw hot air out of the engine compartment but of course only when moving. Without it the temperatures went back up 10 degrees with it fitted they came down 6-12 degrees and in those temps that means a lot. The other advantage of rubber is that it is flexible when going over speed bumps, etc. A number of the California Moggers use the rubber damper, not sure you would need it in the UK or most of Europe but Global Warming might change that!!!

Bruce Marshall
1964 4/4 Series V Comp (Megan)
1994 +8 (Maurice)
2013 M3W (Olga)
Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650784
15/07/20 07:24 PM
15/07/20 07:24 PM
Llanelli
sospan Offline
Talk Morgan Guru
sospan  Offline
Talk Morgan Guru

Llanelli
The air dam created by the rubber strip should act in a way to block air going up into the engine bay behind the radiator. The theory is there is then a lowering of the air pressure behind the rad, effectively giving better flow through the radiator as there is no back pressure to slow it down. DaveW’s stopping air leaking past the edges of the rad would add to better flow too, increasing the effectiveness of the rad. I think it could be one of several mods that could have a cumulative effect. I have rear bonnet catch extenders on my car to help hot under bonnet air escape for one. I THINK it does help but not done good tests to date.
The exhaust manifolds are a big cause of under bonnet heat so try shielding them and manage where that hot air goes.
My Plus8 ran at 90deg last weekend, up from 80deg in winter. The fan kicks in at 95deg which happens more in traffic or slower speeds. I have a panel running back from the number plate box past the rad by a few inches sealing the area a bit.
The car does not overheat but losing a couple of deg in summer would reduce how often the fan kicks in. It is a loud one!

Red Plus8
Re: Rubber mat air dam [Re: 1bigfish] #650821
16/07/20 01:53 AM
16/07/20 01:53 AM
auckland new zealand
W
waikiore Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
waikiore  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
W

auckland new zealand
I don't believe that it would help me -as when travelling 30 mph and upwards it all behaves with a Mulfab radiator and early opening thermostat, my issue is when in crawling traffic or stuck at the lights the temp roars away as does the fan trying to control it, I thought that it was only my car till Mog 18 and France then I realised that it was a plus 8 thing, maybe my next move should be the extended bonnet catches. Running down the motorway I am usually on 65-70 degrees which is cool I know for my model but gives some leeway for when we slow down.

99 plus 8 indigo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon