Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1955er), 205 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 346
TBM 195
+8Rich 194
Newest Topics
Morgan driving music
by MossyfromNZ. 04/12/20 03:35 AM
Roger Penrose interviewed today.
by Heinz. 03/12/20 10:13 PM
So who’s up for a flight on a 737 Max?
by IMHO. 03/12/20 07:24 PM
Snow
by Gambalunga. 03/12/20 05:59 PM
Classic & Sports Car
by Obie. 03/12/20 05:23 PM
Desert (Lockdown) Island TV Programmes
by GaB. 03/12/20 12:26 PM
Latest Photos
Stefan Avatar
New Member
The Great Escape Gang celebrate Tier 2
FolkMog is celebrating 25th year Anniversary
Best of British IMHO!!!
Newest Members
Bill H, PieMan, TOR15T, Charly33, MEJM
7274 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,985
Posts663,206
Members7,274
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
131RE
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: OZ 4/4] #656359
15/08/20 02:01 PM
15/08/20 02:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 324
C
ChrisConvertible Offline
Learner Plates Off!
ChrisConvertible  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
C

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 324
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the update, that is extremely sad news. I do remember back in Jan 2003 during the Canberra bushfires climbing on the roof and slipping but luckily didn't come off, later on I read more people got seriously injured falling off roofs than getting burn't. Reading your post about Peter makes me even more scared about getting up on the roof but unfortunately the gum trees about here fill the gutters up pretty quickly.

I notice you are in a Yellow outfit, around 2004 I joined the Canberra Community Fire Unit that is the volunteer run part of the local fire brigade and we wear a blue outfit so we can be easily distinguished from the professionals. My outfit was tight during the fires last year and now that I have been working from home sitting in front of a computer do 50 hour weeks rewriting code trying to get some performance on our machines (I expect COVID has caused number of transactions to have increased over 500%) I am sure the outfit will be very tight or not fit at all, I should probably try it now and see if I can get a bigger one issued to me.

I remember last December/January with temperatures of around 43 degrees and smoke so thick I could only see maybe 100 metres, add to that the Hail storms, floods and Coronavirus this year is one I don't really want to repeat. I just hope we don't get fires like last year again.

Thanks
Chris

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: OZ 4/4] #656361
15/08/20 02:12 PM
15/08/20 02:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 887
Evergreen, Colorado, USA
britmog Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
britmog  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 887
Evergreen, Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by OZ 4/4

January 20th, 2020....
Originally Posted by OZ 4/4
It's time to show active support .

My local Rural Fire Service will be holding its first volunteer training session at its magnificently named "Wallaby Joe" facility.
Training starts at 6.30pm tonight.

I will be there....


It has been a long process but I am pleased it is done. Now the real work begins....


Congratulations well done. Could do with you and your fellow Firefighters out here in Colorado we have 7 wildfires blazing one at over 60,000 acres no containment another approaching 50,000 acres with no containment. It is very hot and dry the monsoon rains didn't happen and the snow is forecast to arrive later this year. Going to be a long summer.


Bruce
1964 4/4 Series V Comp (Megan)
1994 +8 (Maurice)
2013 M3W (Olga)
Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: OZ 4/4] #656363
15/08/20 02:20 PM
15/08/20 02:20 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,755
Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Graham, G4FUJ  Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,755
Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Well done Gary.
May you always remain safe when on duty.
Thanks for the update on Peter. Such a shame. Please do pass on my regards when you next get to see him.


Graham (G4FUJ)

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'06 Saab 9-3 Convertible
Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: OZ 4/4] #656370
15/08/20 02:45 PM
15/08/20 02:45 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 634
M3W55 Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
M3W55  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 634
My brother and his wife are members of a CFU in the northern suburbs of Sydney. They find that wearing the full kit in Summer is tougher than fighting fires.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: Graham, G4FUJ] #656446
16/08/20 01:00 AM
16/08/20 01:00 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,780
Australia - NSW North Coast
OZ 4/4 Offline OP
Talk Morgan Addict
OZ 4/4  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Addict

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,780
Australia - NSW North Coast
Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
Well done Gary.
May you always remain safe when on duty.
Thanks for the update on Peter. Such a shame. Please do pass on my regards when you next get to see him.


Graham & Richard,
I have managed to track down Pete this morning and have just got off the phone to him. He was delighted to receive your best wishes.
I have encouraged him to log on to TM now that he has a new computer and network facilities - hopefully we can expect a blast from the past soon.


A Morgan Identified Fastidious Owner...
2011 4/4 Bespoke, 1981 Delorean, Auburn Boat Tail
Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: britmog] #656447
16/08/20 01:10 AM
16/08/20 01:10 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,780
Australia - NSW North Coast
OZ 4/4 Offline OP
Talk Morgan Addict
OZ 4/4  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Addict

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,780
Australia - NSW North Coast
Originally Posted by britmog
Originally Posted by OZ 4/4

January 20th, 2020....
Originally Posted by OZ 4/4
It's time to show active support .

My local Rural Fire Service will be holding its first volunteer training session at its magnificently named "Wallaby Joe" facility.
Training starts at 6.30pm tonight.

I will be there....


It has been a long process but I am pleased it is done. Now the real work begins....


Congratulations well done. Could do with you and your fellow Firefighters out here in Colorado we have 7 wildfires blazing one at over 60,000 acres no containment another approaching 50,000 acres with no containment. It is very hot and dry the monsoon rains didn't happen and the snow is forecast to arrive later this year. Going to be a long summer.


Thankyou britmog.
Australia was very grateful for the support U.S. firefighters provide during the last bush fire season.
COVID will make this a more difficult season but all of us in Oz ask you to stay safe and well.


A Morgan Identified Fastidious Owner...
2011 4/4 Bespoke, 1981 Delorean, Auburn Boat Tail
Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: ChrisConvertible] #656469
16/08/20 08:53 AM
16/08/20 08:53 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,780
Australia - NSW North Coast
OZ 4/4 Offline OP
Talk Morgan Addict
OZ 4/4  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Addict

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,780
Australia - NSW North Coast
Originally Posted by ChrisConvertible
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the update, that is extremely sad news. I do remember back in Jan 2003 during the Canberra bushfires climbing on the roof and slipping but luckily didn't come off, later on I read more people got seriously injured falling off roofs than getting burn't. Reading your post about Peter makes me even more scared about getting up on the roof but unfortunately the gum trees about here fill the gutters up pretty quickly.

I notice you are in a Yellow outfit, around 2004 I joined the Canberra Community Fire Unit that is the volunteer run part of the local fire brigade and we wear a blue outfit so we can be easily distinguished from the professionals. My outfit was tight during the fires last year and now that I have been working from home sitting in front of a computer do 50 hour weeks rewriting code trying to get some performance on our machines (I expect COVID has caused number of transactions to have increased over 500%) I am sure the outfit will be very tight or not fit at all, I should probably try it now and see if I can get a bigger one issued to me.

I remember last December/January with temperatures of around 43 degrees and smoke so thick I could only see maybe 100 metres, add to that the Hail storms, floods and Coronavirus this year is one I don't really want to repeat. I just hope we don't get fires like last year again.

Thanks
Chris

Good spot Chris. I have been using "hand me down" gear in training and have just received my complete new kit from helmet to boots.
I reckon there must be about A$1,200.00 worth of stuff.


A Morgan Identified Fastidious Owner...
2011 4/4 Bespoke, 1981 Delorean, Auburn Boat Tail
Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: OZ 4/4] #656474
16/08/20 09:26 AM
16/08/20 09:26 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,643
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
+8Rich  Offline
Member of the Inner Circle

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,643
Devonshire
Originally Posted by OZ 4/4
Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
Well done Gary.
May you always remain safe when on duty.
Thanks for the update on Peter. Such a shame. Please do pass on my regards when you next get to see him.


Graham & Richard,
I have managed to track down Pete this morning and have just got off the phone to him. He was delighted to receive your best wishes.
I have encouraged him to log on to TM now that he has a new computer and network facilities - hopefully we can expect a blast from the past soon.

Thanks Gary, it would be great to see him back on here posting thumbs


Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1994 Connaught Green +8 prev





Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: OZ 4/4] #656688
16/08/20 11:23 PM
16/08/20 11:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 324
C
ChrisConvertible Offline
Learner Plates Off!
ChrisConvertible  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
C

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by M3W55
My brother and his wife are members of a CFU in the northern suburbs of Sydney. They find that wearing the full kit in Summer is tougher than fighting fires.


Originally Posted by OZ 4/4

Good spot Chris. I have been using "hand me down" gear in training and have just received my complete new kit from helmet to boots.
I reckon there must be about A$1,200.00 worth of stuff.


Yes the gear is very uncomfortable but would not be cheap. Mine is 6 years old and I have done a lot of training sessions but luckily only put it on for a fire once, I was told the boots wear in but not so yet. I have some steel capped boots I bought my self for working in the garden that I wore for the real fire and glad i did.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued [Re: OZ 4/4] #656699
17/08/20 06:47 AM
17/08/20 06:47 AM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 30
Cheshire
F
Fus969 Offline
Just Getting Started
Fus969  Offline
Just Getting Started
F

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 30
Cheshire
I was in the Mundaring shire bushfire brigade in WA in the 80s early 90s . I remember 1991 was a particularly bad year for fires in WA we had a great bunch of volunteers back then we bought most of our own kit and one of our crew built a pump run by an old Holden engine On the back of an old Bedford for knocking fires out in the tops of trees it was very affective . I have a picture somewhere of us playing cricket against the Conservation and land management Team on rare summer weekend off ,I’m sure you’ll enjoy the same great team spirit we had . Sorry to hear about your mate Take care and good luck

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1