Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
15 registered members (Graham, G4FUJ, RobCol, mise303, David@Belmont, JohnHarris, Image, Leroy, Jon G4LJW, Ricardo, jrt, LightSpeed, Craig Jezz, pandy, SimonH, Phil4/4), 187 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 365
+8Rich 227
TBM 163
CooperMan 122
Newest Topics
Another Lancastrian
by David@Belmont. 22/10/20 11:15 AM
2021 Montlhery Vintage Revival
by Jacques. 21/10/20 08:26 PM
Mosquito Back to the Skies
by Steve3.9+8. 21/10/20 07:09 PM
DRIVERS DOOR DROP..
by KEVFITZ. 21/10/20 04:33 PM
Three wheelers galore
by Richard Wood. 21/10/20 03:42 PM
Another Configurator
by Jon G4LJW. 21/10/20 03:23 PM
For all you Landie buffs
by athelstan. 21/10/20 09:26 AM
Latest Photos
Another Lanacastrian
For Sale: Luggage rack & front bumper
Malvern Show 2
Malvern Show 1
MGB`s can corrode..?
Newest Members
Ingenious, JMT, Brian G, beetle back, Apple58
7185 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,638
Posts655,495
Members7,185
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
mac caber, VassilisP
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: +8Rich] #663441
21/09/20 05:53 PM
21/09/20 05:53 PM
London
MOG 615 Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
MOG 615  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

London
Originally Posted by +8Rich
Originally Posted by TBM
Originally Posted by MOG 615
Initially I misread that as a Ford Cosworth engine! Should have gone to Specsavers I suppose.

That would be a whole bunch of fun. I've wondered if it would be possible to squeeze a BDA into my 4/4 - not that I could afford one!

I posted a picture of just such a beast a few years ago which if I remember correctly was one of John Shealley’s race cars over in the States.
It looked pretty special. https://www.classyvice.com/morgan-cosworth-bda-for-sale/https: Not the only one around it seems.

Yes , the first BDA-engined 4/4 was built by MMC for Andy Duncan , the company's legal counsel. It replaced his Lotus Twin Cam engined 4/4 that was also built by MMC. The later was passed to his brother , Mike Duncan, the then Midlands agent. Both brothers competed on the hills and at sprints.

The second BDA was a "home built" special. It was done by Chas Smith , the then secretary of the Morgan 4/4 club (predecessor of the MSCC ) and still the Vice President of the latter. He has been competing with his Ford 1500 cc Series IV car on the hills , and wanted a bit more oomph. He built it up using a lot of David Rutherford parts (one piece f/glass body , lighter gauge chassis etc ) It was quite a fiercesome beast but Chas never really had the resources to develop it fully , and it got sold to John Shealley , who did spend an awful lot on it over in the USA, including a Cosworth BDD engine. It became quite a formidable car in the events that John entered.

I think various others tried similar conversions, with mixed success. Mainly in the UK because there was no real opportunity for one to compete without going into the "Specials" category, so it was of limited appeal as a BDA did not make a good road car engine.

More recently Billy Bellinger (of JB Engineering) has developed a Cosworth engined 1500cc 4/4 for HSCC and similar historic racing. His reasoning is that the Ford Cosworth engine , even with all the dry sump engineering is so much lighter than a race prepared TR engine in the +4 , that it should be a competitive car with the Historic +4s. I think it is down on power from a 2 litre +4 , but the lighter weight and nimble handling will make it pretty quick IMHO.

Andy G
1999 +8 , Indigo Blue.
Ex-John McKecknie/Mike Duncan 1955 +4 racer.
Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: KennyW] #663447
21/09/20 06:12 PM
21/09/20 06:12 PM
Suffolk
John V6 Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
John V6  Offline

Suffolk
Ken,
you are in the area of Thames Mog & Swan Mog. Join the MSCC and go to talk to them. They may even offer to look at cars with you.
Good luck
John

JohnV6
2006 Indigo Blue Roadster S1
2014 Brooklands Edition Roadster "Brookland's Belle"
Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: KennyW] #663454
21/09/20 06:37 PM
21/09/20 06:37 PM
Oxon
Craig Jezz Online content
Has a lot to Say!
Craig Jezz  Online Content
Has a lot to Say!

Oxon
I can recommend a 4/4 Sport with the Sigma engine, they are great fun camera

[Linked Image]

Craig Jezz

Morgan 4/4 Sports Sand (Williams & Wolf Tuned)
Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: MOG 615] #663467
21/09/20 08:34 PM
21/09/20 08:34 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire
Originally Posted by TBM
Initially I misread that as a Ford Cosworth engine! Should have gone to Specsavers I suppose.

That would be a whole bunch of fun. I've wondered if it would be possible to squeeze a BDA into my 4/4 - not that I could afford one!

I posted a picture of just such a beast a few years ago which if I remember correctly was one of John Shealley’s race cars over in the States.
It looked pretty special. https://www.classyvice.com/morgan-cosworth-bda-for-sale/https: Not the only one around it seems.

Yes , the first BDA-engined 4/4 was built by MMC for Andy Duncan , the company's legal counsel. It replaced his Lotus Twin Cam engined 4/4 that was also built by MMC. The later was passed to his brother , Mike Duncan, the then Midlands agent. Both brothers competed on the hills and at sprints.

The second BDA was a "home built" special. It was done by Chas Smith , the then secretary of the Morgan 4/4 club (predecessor of the MSCC ) and still the Vice President of the latter. He has been competing with his Ford 1500 cc Series IV car on the hills , and wanted a bit more oomph. He built it up using a lot of David Rutherford parts (one piece f/glass body , lighter gauge chassis etc ) It was quite a fiercesome beast but Chas never really had the resources to develop it fully , and it got sold to John Shealley , who did spend an awful lot on it over in the USA, including a Cosworth BDD engine. It became quite a formidable car in the events that John entered.

I think various others tried similar conversions, with mixed success. Mainly in the UK because there was no real opportunity for one to compete without going into the "Specials" category, so it was of limited appeal as a BDA did not make a good road car engine.

More recently Billy Bellinger (of JB Engineering) has developed a Cosworth engined 1500cc 4/4 for HSCC and similar historic racing. His reasoning is that the Ford Cosworth engine , even with all the dry sump engineering is so much lighter than a race prepared TR engine in the +4 , that it should be a competitive car with the Historic +4s. I think it is down on power from a 2 litre +4 , but the lighter weight and nimble handling will make it pretty quick IMHO.

Thank you for the full story on the car Andy, quite a history.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1994 Connaught Green +8 prev

Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: MOG 615] #663470
21/09/20 08:39 PM
21/09/20 08:39 PM
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
TBM  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Northants, UK
Originally Posted by TBM

Yes, thank you. I went to school with Mikes son Tim.

1972 4/4 4 seater
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: KennyW] #663471
21/09/20 08:41 PM
21/09/20 08:41 PM
Australia - NSW North Coast
OZ 4/4 Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
OZ 4/4  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Australia - NSW North Coast
Welcome Ken from sunny Sydney and good luck with the search

A Morgan Identified Fastidious Owner...
2011 4/4 Bespoke, 1981 Delorean, Auburn Boat Tail
Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: KennyW] #663476
21/09/20 09:35 PM
21/09/20 09:35 PM
Sandhurst, Berks
T
teknome Offline
L - Learner Plates On
teknome  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
T

Sandhurst, Berks
Ken

I am in the corner of Berkshire, where it joins to Hampshire and Surrey. If you want to pop over I can show you around a Plus 8, and a Plus 4. If you do join Morgan Sports Car Club we will be very pleased to welcome you to Swanmog. Drop me a PM (private message) and I will send contact details to you

---------------------------
Mike Smith

1995 +8
2007 +4
Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: KennyW] #663485
21/09/20 10:18 PM
21/09/20 10:18 PM
Berkshire, England
M
Mark H Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Mark H  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
M

Berkshire, England
Hi Ken, a Berkshire welcome from FInchampstead.

Good luck with all your research & once you’ve done let’s then talk about the M3W

Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: MOG 615] #663620
22/09/20 06:28 PM
22/09/20 06:28 PM
Crowthorne
KennyW Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan
KennyW  Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan

Crowthorne
Thanks for the quick responses, I went to my local dealer and had a drive in 2L Duratec and a 3L Roadster which was fantastic. So my quest continues as the test drive confirmed my need/desire to purchase something soon!

Cheers
Ken

Re: Hi from Berkshire [Re: Tresco] #663624
22/09/20 06:35 PM
22/09/20 06:35 PM
Crowthorne
KennyW Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan
KennyW  Offline OP
New to Talk Morgan

Crowthorne
yes, the show was at West Green house near Hartley Wintney. The weather was great and he turn-out of Morgans certainly has set me off in a mission to find one!

And it goes without saying the members made my wife and I extremely welcome to ask questions on ownership

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon