Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online
17 registered (Wirewheel, David_E, Scrambledsignals, 2Sharp, AlexKnoll, JWG, Jays, Chunky4/4Racer, Tim W, Amrum, Corsu, Robbie Mathisen, RedThree, Neptune, madmax, UEW, M3W55), 126 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Plus 4 in autumnal evening sun
Cuthbert's BMW Trike
Pic to go with thread on GDI oil breather
Morgans on parade in the the NZ summer
QE 2....not quite!!!
Newest Topics
Have a great Christmas 2018 everybody.
by DaveW
18/12/18 01:51 PM
XMAS PRESENT FOR THE URBAN MORGAN OWNER
by KEVFITZ
18/12/18 01:16 PM
Good Bye V8...Hello "Something"
by Peter J
18/12/18 12:21 PM
KING PIN GREASE
by Steve19
18/12/18 10:27 AM
Fuel caps
by Culminator
18/12/18 09:38 AM
Brushed aluminum ?
by osten
18/12/18 09:18 AM
So much for Christmas spirit in certain hotels
by Jack The Lad
18/12/18 09:16 AM
Newest Members
gary sartor, Bonesie, Ben, jejemel, jk-sky
6307 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,307 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,757 Topics
538,032 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Jack81, Mmartin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66456 - 13/08/11 10:31 PM Wind Deflector Installations
Vitruvius Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'd like to put wind deflectors on my MOG. Would someone post some photos of how their deflectors have been installed?

Ta & Thanks

#66458 - 14/08/11 03:34 AM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: Vitruvius]
The Phantod Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Los Angeles
Mine mount on a blade sandwiched between the windshield frame and the windshield support bracket.

#66460 - 14/08/11 07:18 AM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: The Phantod]
N22MOG Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Edenbridge, Kent, UK
There are two different designs, I tried the Perspex ones but gave up on them as they always seemed to interfere with the side screens. I then swapped them for the more expensive glass and chrome type which mount on a blade sandwiched between the windscreen and the frame support, these have the advantage of folding inside the side screens when fitted. Simply a case of loosening a couple of screws, slotting the deflector in and tightening the screws. The latter type came from Simmonds.
Having gone to all that trouble I'm not entirely sure how effective any deflectors are!? Would be interested to hear other opinions.
Steve L.

1996 Plus 8

#66466 - 14/08/11 10:14 AM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: N22MOG]
JJW Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: NL
I know many trad owners are positive about the deflectores but I could not detect any improvement. I made several different versions with the intention to determine the best size and shape and possibly improve on the original. I made them such that I could install and remove them while driving and tested at various angles and different speeds. I could not detect any improvement and left them off. AFAICT the deflectors didnt work because the are in a turbulant area. The airflow is trhown off the side of the windscreen outside the area where the deflectors are. I suspect to make them work they would have to be further forward in the flow, and curved to direct the flow inward like the deflectors you see on the edge of truck cabines. Similarly a curved strip (spoiler)along the top of the windscreen (starting just in front) would probably make a big difference. I think Merc uses that on the new cabrio's I would like to investigate further with telltales or even a windtunnel but I am afraid the result would not be in style with the trad. I also made a mesh type screen beind the headrest and it does quite a good job reducing the turbulence and tailwind in the neck, but again I didn't like the "Audi" looks of it. So I am happy driving without wind deflectors or side screens. On long runs I use "period" headgear that covers the ears and turn the collar of my jacket up, Lovely drive Cheers J

#66470 - 14/08/11 02:34 PM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: JJW]
A11OGE Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Reading
My trad came with wind deflectors. Last year, the deflector on one side broke. When driving in the rain it was easy to see the difference between the deflector and non-deflector side. No rain on the side screens on the deflector side (on a 4 seater there two side screens per side), plenty of rain of the non-deflector side. To my mind that sells the effectiveness of side screens.

'A Morgan is for life, not just for Sundays'

#66479 - 14/08/11 03:00 PM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: A11OGE]
JJW Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: NL
Sounds convincing indeed, I was judging on wind noise. Cheeky question maybe, could the difference have been due to wind direction? Was the differerence on the front side sceen or the back? And at approx what angle to the doors are you setting the screens? cheers J

#66493 - 14/08/11 04:28 PM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: JJW]
kinmont Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Loc: Rye, East Sussex
I made and fitted toughened glass/chrome edged wind deflectors then large clip on sun visors. Made such a difference to the driving experience, less wind turbulance in the cabin, no rattle from the sidescreens when the deflectors were pulled round to their operating position and less wind "over the top" especially noticeable in light rain!!

#66508 - 14/08/11 08:57 PM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: kinmont]
The Phantod Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Los Angeles
When driving with the screen down and the deflectors folded pointing down toward the tarmac, I have found that the pass side deflector flips vertical when the apparent winds hits about 132 fps-a good reminder to let the hammer up a bit.

#66534 - 15/08/11 07:29 AM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: JJW]
A11OGE Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Reading
Originally Posted By JJW
Cheeky question maybe, could the difference have been due to wind direction? Was the differerence on the front side sceen or the back? And at approx what angle to the doors are you setting the screens? cheers J

Good question. I noticed this occurring a few time (I do drive the car in the rain, and it did take a little time to find an exact replacement for side screen) and each time it was the same, so I think we can ignore wind direction. The 'difference' was more noticeable on the front side screen, the rear side screen seem to vary according to speed.

As for the angle, about 30 degrees behind the line of the wind screen.

'A Morgan is for life, not just for Sundays'

#66552 - 15/08/11 09:56 AM Re: Wind Deflector Installations [Re: The Phantod]
Guten Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Lincolnshire
Originally Posted By The Phantod
Mine mount on a blade sandwiched between the windshield frame and the windshield support bracket.

Any chance of a photo please?
Regards

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon