Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (John07, CooperMan, hugo, Ray, bmgermany, tmg513, Ale_72, madmax, Hamwich, Taffmog, Ncik P, ChrisP, Phil4/4, ADMOG, Heff, RedThree, Phil+8, spooner, 3Gs, Rovert, paulmog, M3W55, Bunny), 231 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 358
+8Rich 201
TBM 194
Newest Topics
Rugby F1 Wrc.
by aerotaff. 04/12/20 12:58 PM
Stainless 6” and 7” wipers are back .
by MR11MOG. 04/12/20 12:40 PM
A WINTERS TALE.........
by KEVFITZ. 04/12/20 05:56 AM
Morgan driving music
by MossyfromNZ. 04/12/20 03:35 AM
Roger Penrose interviewed today.
by Heinz. 03/12/20 10:13 PM
So who’s up for a flight on a 737 Max?
by IMHO. 03/12/20 07:24 PM
Latest Photos
Stefan Avatar
The Great Escape Gang celebrate Tier 2
FolkMog is celebrating 25th year Anniversary
Best of British IMHO!!!
Newest Members
Bill H, PieMan, TOR15T, Charly33, MEJM
7274 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,988
Posts663,335
Members7,274
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
131RE
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Running old cars into the future..? [Re: Luddite] #665150
01/10/20 03:43 PM
01/10/20 03:43 PM
L
Luddite Offline OP
Has a lot to Say!
Luddite  Offline OP
Has a lot to Say!
L

Where would the Tesla drivers be without the log fire effect on screen if they are feeling chilly, or the selectable seat through which to make a f*rty sound from the same touchscreen...Hmm..?

Self reliance built upon lack of finances ever caused me to require to learn how things worked from cycles through m/cycles and on to cars, thus in time I feel fortunate to have for many years not had to rely on others to repair or restore my old cars. I can understand nostalgia, though when younger the faster the better and more modern was ever the direction of travel. Thinking back to some of the cars I have owned I suspect had the funds been available to purchase new then that might have been thought to be ideal, however in running an old Jensen Interceptor as a substitute for a new Aston Martin did not feel I was missing out on much, in fact quite pleased with myself in terms of cost benefit analysis...(-:

I had always looked at Morgans, and as I aged I tended to appreciate old things a bit more with each passing year, thinking Sophia Loren etc.etc. and in matters automotive Big old Bentleys were kinda getting under my skin, along with vintage open top Rileys, Astons et all.... Thus in time through a process of applied logic and with the help of others, I came to own a +8 Morgan, which seems to have gotten under my skin over my years of ownership..(-:

As for Modern cars, I have not laid a spanner on one. For the first time in my life when my good lady bought a Mini Cooper diesel some years back, It went into the garage for servicing, likewise her SLK, and her Evoke, though after a circa £500 bill for rear brakes at circa 20k miles on a four year old car.... I may just have a look around the front brakes myself before it`s next service ...hmm!

It seems there could be issues re fuel and lay up for both old and new cars, though old tec cars would seem to have the ability to keep going and be owner maintained for some time to come. Of course governments can and may make it more difficult to enjoy them as freely as we once did, but till then it seems best to enjoy what we can while we can....?

Re: Running old cars into the future..? [Re: lowebird] #665212
02/10/20 06:33 AM
02/10/20 06:33 AM
Reading
Rob Thornton Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Rob Thornton  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Reading
Originally Posted by lowebird
Originally Posted by Rob Thornton
Originally Posted by lowebird
and who ever thought that putting everything on a display screen where you have to look down from your driving position just to alter say the heater is a good idea?

Of course bending forward with head touching the steering wheel to turn a heater knob with outstretched arms in the dark (having pulled over to a lay-by of course!) is the pinnacle or ergonomic design in our lovely trads! laugh2

You make a very good point Sir. I had forgotten how well placed the Morgan heater control is, somewhere nearer than the radio I think!!

Thank you Reg. Funnily enough I have a good radio fitted beneath the heater control but in 6 years of ownership I have never once used it. Out of sight, out of mind perhaps?

Rob T
2001 Royal Ivory Plus 8
Re: Running old cars into the future..? [Re: Luddite] #665214
02/10/20 06:49 AM
02/10/20 06:49 AM
Reading
Rob Thornton Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Rob Thornton  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Reading
Originally Posted by Luddite

It seems there could be issues re fuel and lay up for both old and new cars, though old tec cars would seem to have the ability to keep going and be owner maintained for some time to come. Of course governments can and may make it more difficult to enjoy them as freely as we once did, but till then it seems best to enjoy what we can while we can....?

Definitely!

I wonder though if the interest in the cars of most interest to us on this forum will wane as we wane? By and large we are a mature bunch I think and looking at those attending classic car shows that pattern is generally repeated. I think that we are on a naturally evolutionary path and that worries of a revolution are to some degree misplaced.

On a slightly different note I have often wondered what lessons Morgan really took from the electric three-wheeler exercise. It all seemed to go very quite after the project was dropped

Rob T
2001 Royal Ivory Plus 8
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon