Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
11 registered members (Rovert, AndyC60, Richard Wood, Jens, John V6, ChrisP, pandy, Gordon D, PhilipNZ, Image, TBM), 141 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 360
+8Rich 206
TBM 145
Newest Topics
Donington Historic Festival 2021
by PhilRoyle. 27/10/20 07:35 PM
Delivery Madness
by PhilRoyle. 27/10/20 07:28 PM
What Is The AMP Rating Of The S&S Alternator
by Dan_Lockwood. 27/10/20 07:08 PM
Tilting Scissor Lift
by IvorMog. 27/10/20 02:11 PM
Led light bulbs
by rockabilly john. 27/10/20 02:00 PM
"Historic" Class - pros and cons?
by Ian Wegg. 27/10/20 07:41 AM
Speedo cable is odd
by London+8. 26/10/20 11:39 PM
Latest Photos
Krazy Horse Spacer
Cobra Bezel
Definition of a classic sports car
Another Lancastrian
For Sale: Luggage rack & front bumper
Newest Members
LOLO 04, sss6000, Dylan614, kbac, Gwyn D
7205 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,689
Posts656,585
Members7,205
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: Ray] #667488
16/10/20 06:12 PM
16/10/20 06:12 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline OP
Member of the Inner Circle
+8Rich  Offline OP

Devonshire
Originally Posted by Ray
Watched it for twenty minutes as it circled Mumbles head wait ing to do it's display at the Swansea air day last year. Then the lceing on the cake.went to Swansea airport where there were two Spitfires and two Me 109 s waiting to take off for the airshow....what a day.

Yes they are very special events watching these past masters of the skies still flying, there is nothing quite like it.

We normally go to the flying legends show but I have read in the Flypast that Duxford are no longer able to stage it there claiming Covid etc. I hope they find another venue, I'm sure an orderly queue is forming.

The only V12 I heard overhead this year was the NHS Spit in transit, I had the window open at the time luckily and enjoyed a few special moments.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1994 Connaught Green +8 prev

Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: +8Rich] #667498
16/10/20 07:08 PM
16/10/20 07:08 PM
Llanelli
Ray Offline
Part of the Furniture
Ray  Offline
Part of the Furniture

Llanelli
Watched it do a few flyovers of Morriston hospital.,a few weeks ago.

.+8 Now gone for a 1800 4/4. Duratec in bright yellow.
Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: +8Rich] #667511
16/10/20 10:24 PM
16/10/20 10:24 PM
Mandello del Lario
Gambalunga Offline
Gambalunga  Offline

Mandello del Lario
Here are a couple of links to sites that refer to Catalina "Black Cats" in Australia. One currently in Australia was purchased from Portugal and restored and the other is under restoration at the museum to become a static display.

https://hars.org.au/consolidated-pby-6a-catalina/

https://www.aarg.com.au/consolidated-pby-catalina.html

Peter

[Linked Image]
Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: Gambalunga] #667540
17/10/20 09:18 AM
17/10/20 09:18 AM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline OP
+8Rich  Offline OP

Devonshire
Very interesting history thanks for that.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8

Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: +8Rich] #667592
17/10/20 03:34 PM
17/10/20 03:34 PM
West Texas/Southern NM
P
Piloto Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Piloto  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
P

West Texas/Southern NM
Rich: I flew the Gooney Bird until nineteen years ago, for an outfit known as Aero Juarez; registered in Mexico. All our flights were at night, (hence my particular appreciation of the Black Cats), and our work was related to the automotive parts sector. As we flew regardless of weather, I recall one of my copilots becoming incontinent when we lost the port engine and had to do an instrument approach in freezing conditions and turbulence on returning to our departure airport. The ice coming off the propeller blades sounded like flak on the fuselage.
One of our captains got caught flying meth-laced "cigarettes" on a deadheading return trip, and wound up in a Juarez jail for nearly two years. At about that time I decided it would be prudent to return to a more sedate style of aviation, as (in spite of my age), I had just fathered a baby girl.
Wonderful story about your father. My uncle flew B-17's during WWII, based in Snetterton Heath. For a long time, he would not speak a word of his experiences over Germany, but he eventually let me in to some of the incredible stories. That both your dad and my uncle managed to survive is miraculous. Were it not for them, we would be working for the Nazi party.
I have the clock from my uncle's B-17 in the place of honor on the panel of my Cessna 180.
The "mighty 58" (Baron) is used for personal transport, as I am not inclined to board airliners these days. The 180 is used for work, in managing my cattle ranch. The Pitts Special is used for psychotherapy, competing at the intermediate level.
Even though self-elegy is tantamount to vituperation, I sense an appreciation of aviation with you, so the moment I figure out how to upload pictures I will share some with you.
Best regards,

Tom

Last edited by Piloto; 17/10/20 06:58 PM.
Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: Piloto] #667602
17/10/20 04:28 PM
17/10/20 04:28 PM
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Paul F Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Paul F  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Originally Posted by Piloto
I sense an appreciation of aviation with you, so the moment I figure out how to upload pictures I will share some with you.

Yes please from me too.

Paul
Costock, UK
2014 4/4 Rolls Royce Garnet Red
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross
Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: +8Rich] #667608
17/10/20 05:32 PM
17/10/20 05:32 PM
Aerdenhout, The Netherlands
BertR Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
BertR  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Aerdenhout, The Netherlands
If I am not mistaken the last Durch catalina that could fly was recently sold off to usa, not enough funds could be raised to restore and maintain it. Disappointing.

2009 Roadster, Lancia midnight blue, cinnamon upholstery.
Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: BertR] #667614
17/10/20 08:49 PM
17/10/20 08:49 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline OP
+8Rich  Offline OP

Devonshire
Originally Posted by BertR
If I am not mistaken the last Durch catalina that could fly was recently sold off to usa, not enough funds could be raised to restore and maintain it. Disappointing.

That's a pity Bert, I did read this good news though that you will have a good static exhibition one in a few years.

The only reason our Catalina is still flying is that there are share holders, they are currently looking for two more I read but certainly a very expensive hobby keeping one of these aloft.

[Linked Image]

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8

Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: Piloto] #667617
17/10/20 09:50 PM
17/10/20 09:50 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline OP
+8Rich  Offline OP

Devonshire
Originally Posted by Piloto
Rich: I flew the Gooney Bird until nineteen years ago, for an outfit known as Aero Juarez; registered in Mexico. All our flights were at night, (hence my particular appreciation of the Black Cats), and our work was related to the automotive parts sector. As we flew regardless of weather, I recall one of my copilots becoming incontinent when we lost the port engine and had to do an instrument approach in freezing conditions and turbulence on returning to our departure airport. The ice coming off the propeller blades sounded like flak on the fuselage.
One of our captains got caught flying meth-laced "cigarettes" on a deadheading return trip, and wound up in a Juarez jail for nearly two years. At about that time I decided it would be prudent to return to a more sedate style of aviation, as (in spite of my age), I had just fathered a baby girl.
Wonderful story about your father. My uncle flew B-17's during WWII, based in Snetterton Heath. For a long time, he would not speak a word of his experiences over Germany, but he eventually let me in to some of the incredible stories. That both your dad and my uncle managed to survive is miraculous. Were it not for them, we would be working for the Nazi party.
I have the clock from my uncle's B-17 in the place of honor on the panel of my Cessna 180.
The "mighty 58" (Baron) is used for personal transport, as I am not inclined to board airliners these days. The 180 is used for work, in managing my cattle ranch. The Pitts Special is used for psychotherapy, competing at the intermediate level.
Even though self-elegy is tantamount to vituperation, I sense an appreciation of aviation with you, so the moment I figure out how to upload pictures I will share some with you.
Best regards,

Tom

Tom, pretty hairy old flights down Mexico way sounds like you gave them up at the right time..

Your Uncle was a brave man those daylight raids were deadly and so many 8th Air Force guys were lost that were based in East Anglia. Without them we would be speaking German now.
Snetterton was my local race track whilst I was growing up in Norfolk and as you see fairly active and close to the Lotus factory out of interest.

My Father also said nothing of his war experiences other than in his final days he wanted to go to Italy to visit a Countess (long since dead I imagine) that had taken care of him arranging doctors and the like after he was shot down and had to land in an olive grove having lost power. At the time they were shooting up the retreating German forces and trains were a particular favourite, they were based at Treviso at the time.

I only learned of this story after his death, but it did make me smile.

Although they were equipped with MkIX Spitfires with clipped wings they managed to capture an Me109 for a little extra learning and fun, they landed at a forward base to refuel and some American soldiers were guarding the hangers father and his mates offered the Americans a couple of bottles of whisky in exchange for the Me109 and the deal was done and as it was his idea he got to fly it back to base, with German markings and no IFF happy days.

Here is a picture of him in it after the repaint..

[Linked Image]

It would be great to have some pictures of your planes Tom, a Pitts aerobatic man too I'm impressed good on you some lovely toys you have.
Quite a few of us on here love aircraft so they will be appreciated.

p.s. I'll PM you with my personal email if the photo thing is a pain, it's easier that way.

Best Regards,

Richard

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8

Re: "Miss Pick Up" visits Como [Re: +8Rich] #667621
18/10/20 02:11 AM
18/10/20 02:11 AM
West Texas/Southern NM
P
Piloto Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Piloto  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
P

West Texas/Southern NM
Richard: It would be an honor to communicate with you. Kindly PM me your e-mail; I'm standing by.

Tom

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon