Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
19 registered members (Graham, G4FUJ, madmax, Robbie, M3W55, EddieB, PaulV, Paul F, Alan Patterson, Craig Jezz, Ian Wegg, B3MOG, +8Rich, brownbaker, vbalddave, Neptune, JMcL, Hamwich, Image, teifistar), 142 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 387
John V6 303
Alistair 172
Peter J 133
Newest Topics
Replacement door hinge fasteners
by JimV6. 28/01/21 02:32 PM
Fancy the other half?
by M3W55. 28/01/21 02:05 PM
Classic Engines: Briggs and Stratton
by Hamwich. 28/01/21 12:44 PM
Before I bought my first Morgan...........
by DaveW. 28/01/21 12:11 PM
Fuel pump problem
by jaypee. 28/01/21 09:05 AM
Some very expensive Morgans
by JohnMat. 27/01/21 10:23 PM
Lockdown project
by BillMiller. 27/01/21 07:45 PM
Latest Photos
Another High Level brake light
Morgan puzzle made to order
TOK 258 drawings
Two Approaches to the Easy Up Hood Stay
Vaccine is totally safe
Newest Members
bear65, Mogster +4, JimV6, IainG, Ollie
7346 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics40,363
Posts672,703
Members7,346
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Hiwex
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Paint [Re: Image] #672366
13/11/20 09:36 AM
13/11/20 09:36 AM
Aberdeenshire
Image Online content OP
Has a lot to Say!
Image  Online Content OP
Has a lot to Say!

Aberdeenshire
Thanks for all the replies guys .... the more the better .... paint has moved on since I did the majority of my spraying.

Arwyn .... good info ... I know little about the non-iso paints beyond what's on the manufacturers website .... and I take those with a bucket of salt .... but, having seen them the non-poisonous element made them interesting .... good to hear from someone independent who's actually used it .... guessing I'll go normal 2k and sort out some respiration gear (may borrow a mates compressor and run the gun and mask off one each) .... just have to pick a colour now .... main body is red, and red's one of those colours ..... every time a red car goes past I think "oohh! that's a nice one!!" .... need to give myself a slap and choose one ! smile

K

Re: Paint [Re: Image] #672368
13/11/20 09:44 AM
13/11/20 09:44 AM
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
TBM  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Northants, UK
The closest match I've found to mine is 'tartan red' - I think it's an old BMC colour.

1972 4/4 4 seater - 3G Morganeer
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: Paint [Re: TBM] #672371
13/11/20 09:59 AM
13/11/20 09:59 AM
West Paris, France
pandy Offline
Needs to Get Out More!
pandy  Offline
Needs to Get Out More!

West Paris, France
Originally Posted by TBM
The closest match I've found to mine is 'tartan red' - I think it's an old BMC colour.

.....totally ruining the joke of sending the apprentice off to the stores for a tin of tartan paint.

Giles. Mogless in Paris.
Re: Paint [Re: pandy] #672373
13/11/20 10:11 AM
13/11/20 10:11 AM
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
TBM  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Northants, UK
Originally Posted by pandy
Originally Posted by TBM

.....totally ruining the joke of sending the apprentice off to the stores for a tin of tartan paint.

Absolutely.

Many many years ago I used to work for a block paving company - I drove a 3.5 tonner and used to collect and deliver hardcore, sand and blocks to the various teams and occasionally jump in and help when time was tight.

In my first few weeks, I got presented with the usual 'shopping list' for the builders merchant. Unsurprisingly, they'd stuck the ubiquitous 'long weight' at the bottom of the list.

I stayed there for 6 hrs. Had a great day, chatting and drinking tea, whilst playing with the owners GSD puppy. Boss was apoplectic when I finally returned......

1972 4/4 4 seater - 3G Morganeer
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: Paint [Re: Image] #672374
13/11/20 10:25 AM
13/11/20 10:25 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
L

Arwyin, good stuff as ever..(-: From a very dull memory I think 14CFM was the requirement for my Devilbiss gun, eventually I used an air fed mask and both together created issues for my old compressor. I think there may be dangers in using an old compressor to supply the air one is breathing even with a filter in the line..? I suspect my compressor was older than me, but the tank was painted internally to prevent corrosion, which was a bit of a comfort re the thought of breathing air from a rusty vessel..? My compressor is single phase circa 3HP motor with capacitor start and "just " manages to start and run from a ring main circuit, but as it got up to pressure the house lights would fractionally dim due to voltage drop on each of the compression strokes ...(-:

John, thanks for the heads up on the ICI/PPG relationship.

TBM, my first Austin Mini was Tartan Red, a very popular colour at the time. Red was ever my preferred colour, my friends thought my spray kit could only paint red..(-:

BTW K should you be impressed with Porsche red..(-: Best not to ask a paint supplier for Guards Red.. no such Porsche colour, just a bit of marketing lingo to appeal to the Brits as I found out when I painted my 911, the colour was Indischrot, kinda rolls of the tongue.. laugh2

Apprentice stories... Yeah almost got fired when I initially refused to go back to the "shop" and get a Loop Impedance Tester, thinking the gaffer was extracting the urine.. blush

Re: Paint [Re: TBM] #672437
13/11/20 05:17 PM
13/11/20 05:17 PM
Yorkshire
CooperMan Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
CooperMan  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Yorkshire
Originally Posted by TBM
Originally Posted by pandy
Originally Posted by TBM

Absolutely.

Many many years ago I used to work for a block paving company - I drove a 3.5 tonner and used to collect and deliver hardcore, sand and blocks to the various teams and occasionally jump in and help when time was tight.

In my first few weeks, I got presented with the usual 'shopping list' for the builders merchant. Unsurprisingly, they'd stuck the ubiquitous 'long weight' at the bottom of the list.

I stayed there for 6 hrs. Had a great day, chatting and drinking tea, whilst playing with the owners GSD puppy. Boss was apoplectic when I finally returned......

Did you remember the tin of striped safety paint...oh, and a bag of sparks for the grinder grin2

Jon M
Re: Paint [Re: Image] #672503
13/11/20 10:16 PM
13/11/20 10:16 PM
UK (up north)
D
Dean-Royal Offline
Part of the Furniture
Dean-Royal  Offline
Part of the Furniture
D

UK (up north)
Originally Posted by Image
Does anyone have experience of the non-isocyanate two pack paints.

From what I can gather they don't have the major respirator requirements of normal two packs but take a bit longer to harden off.

As I have reached the spraying part of my project just when the weather has turned cold and damp (and I don't have a heated and ventilated booth so will be improvising ) ..... using a paint that isn't actively trying to kill me would be a bonus.

Any knowledge on the subject from the collective would be much appreciated.

K

There is a product on the market that is a non isocyanate activater, it mixes as same 2:1 but as said it is reliant on air ambient temp
to dry, its mainly used/added into Aerosol Cans when you turn up at your local Paint Distributor for a custom colour he pops a doze in
with the paint, unlike 2k Activater it won't set inside the Can and only starts to activate once sprayed, this could be used, but I wouldn't
recommend it for large area's, say anything more than one Panel as it does dry slightly flat and requires polishing to bring upto a good
sheene, also will fade much quicker than your normal 2:1 2k mix

Mipa 1K-Acryl-Converter
Technical data sheet Page 1 / 2
Intended use
Converter to change Mipa 2K-MS and HS paints into 1K acrylic paints. After the addition of 1K-Acryl-Converter there
is no need to add any hardener. Transformed paints are perfectly suitable to be filled in spray cans.
Quantity to add:
basic paint+ Mipa 1K-Acryl-Converter 2 : 1 by volume
Spreading rate: --
Processing instructions
Colour
colourless
Mixing ratio
Hardener by weight (lacquer : hardener) by volume (lacquer : hardener)
-- -- --
Hardener
for complete paintwork for partial paintwork
-- --
Pot life
no pot life
Thinner
Mipa 2K-Verdünnung kurz V 10
Mipa 2K-Verdünnung V 25
Spray viscosity
Gravity spray gun Airmix/Airless
18 - 20 s 4 mm DIN --
Application method
Application method Hardener Pressure
(bar)
Nozzle
(mm)
spray
passes
Thinner
gravity spray gun (high
pressure)
-- 2,0 - 2,5 1,2 - 1,3 2 25 - 30
HVLP (low pressure) -- 2,0 - 2,2 1,2 - 1,3 2 25 - 30
HVLP / internal nozzle
pressure
-- 0,7 -- -- --
Flash-off time
3 - 5 min between the coats
10 - 15 min before oven drying
Dry coat thickness
40 - 50 µm
MIPA SE

www.generalpaint.biz/color.php Problem with your Colour, we offer TM members impartial advice.
Re: Paint [Re: Image] #672514
13/11/20 11:50 PM
13/11/20 11:50 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Online content OP
Has a lot to Say!
Image  Online Content OP
Has a lot to Say!

Aberdeenshire
Dean .... thanks for that .... it looks as if it won't be suitable for spraying larger areas (and red is bad enough for fading as it is without help from dodgy paint).... just the info I needed .... will have to bite the bullet and go for proper 2k (unless you know of a non-toxic alternative that's fairly tolerant of spraying conditions) .... I shall hunt around my local friends to see if anyone has an air-fed mask I can borrow for a while (as they're fairly expensive if you only spray a car a decade!)..... on that note I've seen it said that there are carbon filter masks that are suitable for 2k use provided the exposure isn't at consistent professional levels (ie short 'hobby' exposure ) .... any thoughts on that one??

K

Re: Paint [Re: Image] #672521
14/11/20 06:48 AM
14/11/20 06:48 AM
UK (up north)
D
Dean-Royal Offline
Part of the Furniture
Dean-Royal  Offline
Part of the Furniture
D

UK (up north)
Search ebay for
3M Fly Mask or Moldex7002,
We sell both @ 2000 per year, we sell full face airfeed x1 a year.

If you read the tech data on the 7002 Moldex you will see it is approved
for use with 2k products in the EU, however UK law still insists it should
be Air fed.

Personally if your using this type of mask I would recommend you change
A1 Filters every 20 hrs use and change P3 prefilters every 4 hrs.

USE ONLY IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA.

Last edited by Dean-Royal; 14/11/20 06:54 AM.

www.generalpaint.biz/color.php Problem with your Colour, we offer TM members impartial advice.
Re: Paint [Re: Image] #672654
14/11/20 05:50 PM
14/11/20 05:50 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Online content OP
Has a lot to Say!
Image  Online Content OP
Has a lot to Say!

Aberdeenshire
Dean .... many thanks .... one of the above masks will be fine ... I can arrange good ventilation and the area I'm going to be spraying will be relatively small (compared to a modern car) .... and spread over a few bites.... can't see me spraying for more than a handful of hours total spread over several days ... And then probably years before my next exposure (if ever ... depends if I decide to take on another resto or not smile ).

Regards

K

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  TalkMorgan