Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online Now
12 registered members (M3W55, JohnHarris, DJC, Hamwich, Amrum, Billymog, John V6, Image, RedThree, pandy, petemog, westgardronning), 151 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 386
John V6 302
Alistair 172
Peter J 133
Newest Topics
Classic Engines: Briggs and Stratton
by Hamwich. 28/01/21 12:44 PM
Before I bought my first Morgan...........
by DaveW. 28/01/21 12:11 PM
Fuel pump problem
by jaypee. 28/01/21 09:05 AM
Some very expensive Morgans
by JohnMat. 27/01/21 10:23 PM
Lockdown project
by BillMiller. 27/01/21 07:45 PM
nouveau membre Sud-ouest France
by Déo47. 27/01/21 05:49 PM
DeLorean: Documentary
by Fuel.inj. 27/01/21 04:53 PM
Latest Photos
Another High Level brake light
Morgan puzzle made to order
TOK 258 drawings
Two Approaches to the Easy Up Hood Stay
Vaccine is totally safe
Newest Members
bear65, Mogster +4, JimV6, IainG, Ollie
7346 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics40,361
Posts672,685
Members7,346
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Hiwex
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Rear springs [Re: Luddite] #673089
16/11/20 05:43 PM
16/11/20 05:43 PM
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
TBM  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Northants, UK
Originally Posted by Luddite
Thanks for taking the time to reply TBM. Not for a second do I doubt Peter`s knowledge of suspension design.

I understand that many tubular damper suspension designs have bump stops built in. Trying not to come across as pedantic, I was enquiring if any tubular shocker fitted by MMC in a Trad was designed to also perform as a bump stop..?

My question can be taken a stage further to ask if any shocker manufacturer (AVO ?) has intended their shocker design to be used in a Trad Morgan to also perform a bump stop function...?

Reckon we should see if PJB can swing in to the discussion.

On the SSL website he lists " Rear SPAX adjustable dampers with bump stops, direct replacements". One would assume, in this day of warranty and litigation, that SPAX would have had to approve them for this purpose, and also assume that the original MMC shocks do not have this feature. However making assumptions is always dangerous. smile smile

1972 4/4 4 seater - 3G Morganeer
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673169
17/11/20 09:05 AM
17/11/20 09:05 AM
Yorkshire
CooperMan Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
CooperMan  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Yorkshire
None of the OE telescopic rear dampers I've taken off had bump stops fitted, the brands sometimes vary, they can be bought in bulk - trade price perhaps £15 - £20 so you can make your own conclusion...

Jon M
Re: Rear springs [Re: TBM] #673173
17/11/20 09:59 AM
17/11/20 09:59 AM
South Oxfordshire
M
Mr Mogoo Offline
New to Talk Morgan
Mr Mogoo  Offline
New to Talk Morgan
M

South Oxfordshire
Hi TBM
I've been speaking to Peter (PJB) at SSL on a different matter this morning and told him he had a call to action on the TM site - he asked if I could post on his behalf that as a vendor he's banned from joining in with the discussions but would be pleased to help and can be contacted directly. His contact details are on the SSL website.

Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673174
17/11/20 10:10 AM
17/11/20 10:10 AM
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
TBM  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Northants, UK
Thanks - I'm OK (I'm an Armstrong Lever bloke) but Luddite was interested.

Cheers

Phil

1972 4/4 4 seater - 3G Morganeer
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: Rear springs [Re: Mr Mogoo] #673179
17/11/20 10:39 AM
17/11/20 10:39 AM
Solihull
Spanner Juggler Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Spanner Juggler  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Solihull
Originally Posted by Mr Mogoo
Hi TBM
I've been speaking to Peter (PJB) at SSL on a different matter this morning and told him he had a call to action on the TM site - he asked if I could post on his behalf that as a vendor he's banned from joining in with the discussions but would be pleased to help and can be contacted directly. His contact details are on the SSL website.

How can that be? Simon SiFab regularly posts on here with help and advice plus what products he has for sale (regular comments like I make those/have those in stock) and very helpful it is too. I realise it’s the web owners call (personally I welcome all leads and advice) but is consistency an issue?

BR
Colin (confused)

BR Colin
Who used to be a Spanner Juggler
Re: Rear springs [Re: Spanner Juggler] #673182
17/11/20 10:59 AM
17/11/20 10:59 AM
South Oxfordshire
M
Mr Mogoo Offline
New to Talk Morgan
Mr Mogoo  Offline
New to Talk Morgan
M

South Oxfordshire
Originally Posted by Spanner Juggler
Originally Posted by Mr Mogoo
Hi TBM

How can that be? Simon SiFab regularly posts on here with help and advice plus what products he has for sale (regular comments like I make those/have those in stock) and very helpful it is too. I realise it’s the web owners call (personally I welcome all leads and advice) but is consistency an issue?

BR
Colin (confused)

Have to agree Colin I was surprised and as a newbie I've certainly benefitted from some of Peter's input on various threads...

Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673188
17/11/20 11:20 AM
17/11/20 11:20 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
L

Oops, did not mean to start any political intrigue, by asking that which I thought seemed rather simple question.. hide

Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673191
17/11/20 11:49 AM
17/11/20 11:49 AM
Solihull
Spanner Juggler Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Spanner Juggler  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Solihull
No intrigue at all George, that’s not what I read. I thought Peter B was a contributor on here as he and I know each other well but not seen him for a few years. I was just surprised that traders seem unable to contribute and is it a universal thing? Seems a shame as many of us struggle to find suppliers in the U.K. and it must be even tougher for those overseas. As long as it’s not blatant ‘look what I have’ to every post then what’s the harm. But then again that’s just my opinion and it’s not my call so I follow what the owner and moderators say. Just confusing that some suppliers seem able to post hence my comment?

BR
Colin

BR Colin
Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673193
17/11/20 12:38 PM
17/11/20 12:38 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

South Yorkshire
There's a difference I suppose between providing advice and promoting ones own business. And we do also have a few cottage industries embedded in TM.

Most experienced owners have their favourite suppliers anyway. It's just important that those new to Morgan get to grips with the underlying dynamics.

Upgrades are usually very similar in concept, and although may differ in quality, it's not something most new owners will bother about. The damper discussion is an example of this.

The rear spring issue is maybe the most complex in terms of options, but most of us end up happy eventually. The later Trads were well resolved and although I might fit AVOs to my Plus4 over winter, the standard Spax work just fine.

The thing which disturbs me most on TM is specific dealer promotion. Dealer experience is a personal thing. And I always suggest to new owners that they try several to get a feel. There's a broad range out there. The dealer who never responded to my e mails and phone calls when I tried to buy a car from them will not see me again. Another dealer who really didn't approve of any DIY on Morgans, lost my goodwill, after spending a lot of cash there in my early years. And after wanting my Roadster for a week to service.

So my message to new owners, is to take your time, and scope what's around. Be prepared to travel if you connect with a dealer. There are some great dealers out there, but not all are.

DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) AR Plus 4
Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673194
17/11/20 12:57 PM
17/11/20 12:57 PM
Solihull
Spanner Juggler Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Spanner Juggler  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Solihull
Very wise Dave.

When I was looking for another Morgan in 2019 after getting better news from the consultant I contacted one very well known dealer who had a car I liked to arrange a visit and test drive (it would take some planning as I was in the middle of Chemo) no reply to my email, repeated and same again. Phoned and left 2 messages and promised call back, nothing happened then I managed to get the owner on the phone. His answer was that the car I was interested in had been sold weeks before so he didn’t bother ringing me back or answering the emails!

I asked why it was still being advertised, even on his website, and his answer floored me he said “oh I continue to do that because I wanted to look like I’ve got plenty of stock and generate some showroom traffic”. All my working life in the industry had not prepared me for that level of BS.

I then emailed another dealer, who also had an interesting car I liked and had a call within 30 min and 3 days later a pal drove me down to view and I bought on the spot!

The first dealer won’t be troubled by me again.

BR
Colin

BR Colin
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  TalkMorgan