Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (IcePack, Lance, +8Rich, BobtheTrain, Phil Bleazey, Barry M, HJF, Mkiss, JohnMat, DCH), 160 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 322
John V6 288
Peter J 155
TBM 155
Newest Topics
New member from Nice
by Olivier. 16/01/21 06:35 PM
Solar power.
by Sportster. 16/01/21 04:47 PM
Replacement M3W.
by Sportster. 16/01/21 03:58 PM
Fuses
by Ray. 16/01/21 03:47 PM
This years meanderings
by aerotaff. 16/01/21 11:09 AM
Guess the movie.
by Sportster. 16/01/21 07:54 AM
New member and potential owner
by HJF. 15/01/21 08:00 PM
Latest Photos
First post
Steam loco build
GBpluseight avatar
Adding a number to the grill
Lockdown slide show
Newest Members
PH1954, HJF, Valespecial, Berlin, Spizz Oil
7327 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics40,273
Posts670,658
Members7,327
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
olleyjp, tarutino
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673376
18/11/20 12:47 PM
18/11/20 12:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19,056
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19,056
South Yorkshire
My 2012 must have been one of the last to get the weak rear springs. We toured the Highlands before I really got it. The crashing from the rear with a full load was bone jarring.


DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) AR Plus 4
Re: Rear springs [Re: DaveW] #673380
18/11/20 12:59 PM
18/11/20 12:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,411
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Paul F Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Paul F  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,411
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Originally Posted by DaveW
My 2012 must have been one of the last to get the weak rear springs. We toured the Highlands before I really got it. The crashing from the rear with a full load was bone jarring.


Our Feb-14 registered car had them. Now changed to Mulfab 4 seater 4 leaf springs - as per your recommendation. I believe that the new incarnation of Mulfab no longer supplies these springs.


Paul
Costock, UK
2014 4/4 Rolls Royce Garnet Red
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross
Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673387
18/11/20 02:10 PM
18/11/20 02:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,719
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
TBM  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,719
Northants, UK
I was recommended the BCC springs. BCC Springs

I did ask Mulfab about the 4 leaf 4 seat springs, but I'd ordered, recieved and fitted the BCC before they replied to my email. They did still supply them.


1972 4/4 4 seater - 3G Morganeer
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: Rear springs [Re: TBM] #673388
18/11/20 02:29 PM
18/11/20 02:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,411
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Paul F Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Paul F  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,411
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Originally Posted by TBM
I was recommended the BCC springs. BCC Springs

I did ask Mulfab about the 4 leaf 4 seat springs, but I'd ordered, recieved and fitted the BCC before they replied to my email. They did still supply them.



Many thanks.

BCC look like the go-to people now.


Paul
Costock, UK
2014 4/4 Rolls Royce Garnet Red
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross
Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673394
18/11/20 02:45 PM
18/11/20 02:45 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,502
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
L

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,502
Colin, many thanks for the detailed heads up. Sorry to read of the suspension issues you had to deal with. As I typed earlier I ever thought that "spring assisters" were an after-market solution used as a quick fix for springs that were past their best on old cars..? I think the brand name for assisters circa the sixties and seventies was Aeon..? I can see that once again the Morgan community has as ever come up with their own ideas on modifications to resolve issues that perhaps should not really exist..?

I can fully understand that there has been a sea change in the Morgan fraternity from avid home mechanics to those seeking little or no involvement with the dirty bits of their car, I can sympathise with that as the ageing process has robbed me of a degree of ..err...enthusiasm for rolling around the garage floor. I also understand that in more recent times expectations relative to vehicles in terms of ease of use, comfort and reliability have increased exponentially, thus many who may have come to own a trad in later years seem to feel the need to modify their Morgans to better suit those expectations, and in the case of trads, I suspect there may be a degree of frustration experienced trying to make it match even the basics available in a base level Ford ....?

T`would would seem the solution you found Colin may have perhaps have required no modification other than sourcing the correct grade and quality of leaf springs..? As the Meerkats say..Simples..?

At one time there were a handful of spring manufacturers and repairers in my area, you could drop off a set of old springs and they would run them through the blacksmiths shop and out the other end in a very few days... I do wonder if the majority of that type of work has like all else been off-shored... banghead

Re: Rear springs [Re: Luddite] #673412
18/11/20 04:03 PM
18/11/20 04:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,126
Solihull
Spanner Juggler Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Spanner Juggler  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,126
Solihull
Originally Posted by Luddite
Colin, many thanks for the detailed heads up. Sorry to read of the suspension issues you had to deal with. As I typed earlier I ever thought that "spring assisters" were an after-market solution used as a quick fix for springs that were past their best on old cars..? I think the brand name for assisters circa the sixties and seventies was Aeon..? I can see that once again the Morgan community has as ever come up with their own ideas on modifications to resolve issues that perhaps should not really exist..?

I can fully understand that there has been a sea change in the Morgan fraternity from avid home mechanics to those seeking little or no involvement with the dirty bits of their car, I can sympathise with that as the ageing process has robbed me of a degree of ..err...enthusiasm for rolling around the garage floor. I also understand that in more recent times expectations relative to vehicles in terms of ease of use, comfort and reliability have increased exponentially, thus many who may have come to own a trad in later years seem to feel the need to modify their Morgans to better suit those expectations, and in the case of trads, I suspect there may be a degree of frustration experienced trying to make it match even the basics available in a base level Ford ....?

T`would would seem the solution you found Colin may have perhaps have required no modification other than sourcing the correct grade and quality of leaf springs..? As the Meerkats say..Simples..?

At one time there were a handful of spring manufacturers and repairers in my area, you could drop off a set of old springs and they would run them through the blacksmiths shop and out the other end in a very few days... I do wonder if the majority of that type of work has like all else been off-shored... banghead


Your spot on buddy, Aeon rubbers, we fitted them to many leaf spring cars that were used to pull caravans and trailers, horse boxes etc. They made a big difference with their mainly conical shape giving a degree of progressive assistance. I emailed Roger with a comment about them when I bought a pair of his “Thingies” suggesting they were Spring Assisters.

You have stirred the grey matter and I also recall fitting extra leaves to Marina rear springs that clamped under the rear leaves to stiffen them up somewhat, they also worked for trailer work. We also fitted them to Marina 1.8TC’s where there were complaints from customers about spring wind up. Made no difference whatsoever to the spring wind up 🤣.

Happy days in a BL Main Dealer workshop ;-).

BR
Colin

Last edited by Spanner Juggler; 18/11/20 04:18 PM. Reason: Clarification

BR Colin
Who used to be a Spanner Juggler
Re: Rear springs [Re: DaveW] #673452
18/11/20 08:35 PM
18/11/20 08:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,832
Mandello del Lario
Gambalunga Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
Gambalunga  Offline
Member of the Inner Circle

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,832
Mandello del Lario
Originally Posted by DaveW
My 2012 must have been one of the last to get the weak rear springs. We toured the Highlands before I really got it. The crashing from the rear with a full load was bone jarring.

Ours had huge problems too. First I had 5 leaf springs fitted but the handling was rubish. It was mainly what led me to be an early adopter of the 5 link system.


Peter

[Linked Image]
Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673522
19/11/20 10:50 AM
19/11/20 10:50 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,502
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
L

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,502
Colin, many thanks for the update, I had forgotten that spring assisters were used to help out vehicles with up to spec rear springs when used for towing heavy loads... Duh !

Seems a pity Aeons were not a simple fix for the Morgan spring foible, in that on a Trad the axle rides above the chassis, whereas in "normal" situations the axle rides below the chassis and the Aeon could easily be fixed to the chassis above the axle to assist the springs and act as a bump stop if and when needed... As I typed previously the TR2 of 1955 vintage had a hoop mounted to it`s chassis acting as a bump stop given it`s axle also was mounted above the chassis, no doubt manufacturing a straight chassis long-member was easier and less expensive than bending it in a bridge like shape to bend it over the axle..?

Beamed up Aeon, seems they still exist, though perhaps they are now moulded from chineseium these days as the company name has been sold to who knows where..!

https://hallite.com/global/digital_collateral/product_brochures/hallite_aeon_rubber_springs.pdf

Peter, I would not determine my old +8`s handling as rubbish perhaps it has more of a "vintage ride" quality about it..but that is exactly the more involved motoring experience I was in search of when I bought my Morgan circa 2002.

Perhaps also worth considering is that most race cars seem to have little or no suspension travel, which may be why Morgans can hold their own and better on the track on occasion...? I suspect any race car suspension on the pot holed roads of today would be hard pressed to provide comfortable transport for folks of mature years, such as I... That perhaps being the case I can well see that maturing Morganeers are drawn to purveyors of suspension modifications promising a somewhat less jarring ride if they have a somewhat sagging rear end...(-: Though it seems there still some old style Morganeers happy to consider the issue, get the spanners out and have a go at redesigning the suspension to fit their work around.. It was ever thus.. laugh2

Re: Rear springs [Re: thelastgizmo] #673525
19/11/20 11:04 AM
19/11/20 11:04 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19,056
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19,056
South Yorkshire
I used Aeons on my BGT for when we were fully loaded. The kit came with aluminium towers, which I still have, unused. The spring assisters were twice the length of original bump stops, with two narrow sections to allow compression.

Before that I played around with Zephyr/Zodiac Mk4 rear bump stops which cost nothing at the scrap yard.

Before that I tried a set of "Auto Ball-ans", which comprised two inflatable rubber balls which were attached to the top of the rear of leaf springs and pressed on the chassis rails.


DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) AR Plus 4
Re: Rear springs [Re: Spanner Juggler] #673534
19/11/20 11:55 AM
19/11/20 11:55 AM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,090
Sumerset
Rog Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Rog  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,090
Sumerset
Originally Posted by Spanner Juggler
Your spot on buddy, Aeon rubbers, we fitted them to many leaf spring cars that were used to pull caravans and trailers, horse boxes etc. They made a big difference with their mainly conical shape giving a degree of progressive assistance. I emailed Roger with a comment about them when I bought a pair of his “Thingies” suggesting they were Spring Assisters.

Guilty as charged Colin and others have also pointed this out to me. I think the name ‘bump stops’ was originally adopted from my first attempt that used those little original hard 1960’s BMC Mini bump stops. They served me well for several years but my MK2’s use bigger more compliant stops with a much better elastomer that hopefully offers a degree of progressive assist as you point out.

A typical trad might have around 55mm of rear bump travel and these are normally set around 35mm above the top of the springs.
[Linked Image]

But I do much prefer the name thingies or even contraptions smile


Roger
2011 Plus 4
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  TalkMorgan 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1