Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (JohnHarris, Rovert, +8Rich, JoeSpeetjens, Barry M), 160 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 324
John V6 288
Peter J 155
TBM 155
Newest Topics
New member from Nice
by Olivier. 16/01/21 06:35 PM
Solar power.
by Sportster. 16/01/21 04:47 PM
Replacement M3W.
by Sportster. 16/01/21 03:58 PM
Fuses
by Ray. 16/01/21 03:47 PM
This years meanderings
by aerotaff. 16/01/21 11:09 AM
Guess the movie.
by Sportster. 16/01/21 07:54 AM
New member and potential owner
by HJF. 15/01/21 08:00 PM
Latest Photos
First post
Steam loco build
GBpluseight avatar
Adding a number to the grill
Lockdown slide show
Newest Members
PH1954, HJF, Valespecial, Berlin, Spizz Oil
7327 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics40,273
Posts670,663
Members7,327
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Massimo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: howard] #673994
21/11/20 01:37 PM
21/11/20 01:37 PM
Northants, UK
TBM Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
TBM  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Northants, UK
Originally Posted by howard
I see three bedroom boxes with 4 cars parked on the pavement outside - maybe the ban will reduce that problem.

There is very little work in Rushden, bar care homes and retail. Most workers are in Wellingborough, Northants and MK. It takes over 2 1/2 hrs to get to MK by public transport involving two buses and a train. Not sure of the entire cost, but the train alone is £17.50 per day. By car, it's 35 mins, and if I factor in cost of car, petrol, tax and insurance, it works out at £8 and I'm also saving 4 hours a day travelling.

More and more young adults are staying at home longer due to rising rent/house prices, hence the number of cars outside our three bedroom boxes,

I have no such excuse. Me and my Mrs have a car each (she usualy works 40 miles away in Rugby) and then there's the Morgan, and the four motorbikes. I am a petrol head. However, if public transport improved, and the price reduced, I would have no qualms in using it. I commuted to London for years by train when I lived in Colchester (although the company did pay my season ticket).

1972 4/4 4 seater - 3G Morganeer
Too many ratty motorbikes
Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: SFO] #673997
21/11/20 01:59 PM
21/11/20 01:59 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Image  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Aberdeenshire
JohnHarris .... I think that the concept of a yearly (lifetime??) energy allocation to be prioritised by individual users (I can live without a 46" colour TV and dishwasher if that means a nice summer road trip in the Morgan) will come along soiner or later .... as someone who is largely self-sufficient in domestic energy (no-one really is in all facets of their lives .... low-impact rather than self-sufficiency is the best we can aim for) ..... hopefully, I'll get a block of Kw and the fact my house has been totally off grid for 30 years means I'll have some to indulge my hobbies smile

I agree we need a properly enforced fair system if we're not to have terrible social upheaval ... tho I can still see the poor selling chunks of their allocation to support some rich person's wastefulness .... seems the way of the world since the cave and unlikely to change

K

Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: SFO] #674238
22/11/20 07:43 PM
22/11/20 07:43 PM
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
L

E fuels as an alternative....? This data copied from another source :-

There is a glimmer of hope for those of us agonising over the extinction of ICE. Synthetic fuel is currently undergoing accelerated development and Porsche is taking the lead. In September of this year, Head of Research and Development Michael Steiner revealed that Porsche is entering into partnerships with third parties to explore the viability of synthetic, carbon neutral fuel, stating simply that ‘with electricity alone, you can't move forward fast enough.’ A telling change of course from the more evangelical proclamations about EVs being made 12 months earlier.

“This technology is particularly important because the combustion engine will continue to dominate the automotive world for many years to come,” Steiner went on. "If you want to operate the existing fleet in a sustainable manner, eFuels are a fundamental component. We have a team that is looking for suitable partners who want to build pilot plants with us and prove that the entire process chain works and can be industrialised."

So-called eFuels are very similar to kerosene, diesel or petrol in terms of their basic properties, but instead of being processed from crude oil they are produced from CO2 and hydrogen using renewable energy. The key differentiator is that, by using CO2 as a raw material rather than a waste product, eFuels can become climate-neutral. It’s early days of course, and the EV revolution will go ahead unchecked, but there is light at the end of tunnel for those of us with petrol in the veins.

Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: SFO] #674243
22/11/20 07:54 PM
22/11/20 07:54 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Image  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Aberdeenshire
Luddite .... thanks for the update .... I commented in an earlier thread on the subject of EVs that it seemed odd that there was not more effort going into carbon neutral fuel alternatives .... seems crazy to me that we are thinking of trashing a mature energy delivery system and millions and millions of vehicles .... just to spend massive amounts of CO2 spewing effort into recreating an alternative system ... to me, the ideal CO2 saver would be retaining the current vehicle stock and its support system but substitute the fuel .... mad to think you could tear down the existing funtional worldwide system and rebuild all that infrastructure and vehicle stock from scratch without it having major environmental impact in itself .... and yet we seem fixated on EV and largely ignoring alternative fuel research.

K

Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: SFO] #674245
22/11/20 07:59 PM
22/11/20 07:59 PM
Köln Germany
Heinz Online content
Charter Member
Heinz  Online Content
Charter Member

Köln Germany
That is sooo true in my view, Image.

'14 4/4 graphite grey
Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: SFO] #674262
22/11/20 09:31 PM
22/11/20 09:31 PM
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Paul F Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Paul F  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
We have changed completely before. Horses were once the transport power of choice. And then the internal combustion engine came along. In less than 50 years, horses were consigned to history by all except enthusiasts.

Paul
Costock, UK
2014 4/4 Rolls Royce Garnet Red
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross
Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: SFO] #674271
22/11/20 10:16 PM
22/11/20 10:16 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Image  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Aberdeenshire
PaulF .... however, as a form of transport and motive power the internal combustion engine was a step-change improvement over the horse (by orders of magnitude) .... what we're talking about here is a 'change' to the same .... EVs won't do anything in actual real world practice that isn't done by IC .... the sole reason for the change is to reduce CO2 .... if that can be achieved by alternative fuels then that's an enormous win .... the environmental cost of replicating a worldwide transport/supply infrastructure will be immense ... there's nothing holy about EV.... it's just being touted as a route to CO2 reduction .... if we could keep the current system but remove the same amount of CO2 then that's a bigger win environmentally.

K

Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: Luddite] #674273
22/11/20 10:26 PM
22/11/20 10:26 PM
SimonH Offline
Has a lot to Say!
SimonH  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Originally Posted by Luddite
E fuels as an alternative....? This data copied from another source :-

There is a glimmer of hope for those of us agonising over the extinction of ICE. Synthetic fuel is currently undergoing accelerated development and Porsche is taking the lead. In September of this year, Head of Research and Development Michael Steiner revealed that Porsche is entering into partnerships with third parties to explore the viability of synthetic, carbon neutral fuel, stating simply that ‘with electricity alone, you can't move forward fast enough.’ A telling change of course from the more evangelical proclamations about EVs being made 12 months earlier.

“This technology is particularly important because the combustion engine will continue to dominate the automotive world for many years to come,” Steiner went on. "If you want to operate the existing fleet in a sustainable manner, eFuels are a fundamental component. We have a team that is looking for suitable partners who want to build pilot plants with us and prove that the entire process chain works and can be industrialised."

So-called eFuels are very similar to kerosene, diesel or petrol in terms of their basic properties, but instead of being processed from crude oil they are produced from CO2 and hydrogen using renewable energy. The key differentiator is that, by using CO2 as a raw material rather than a waste product, eFuels can become climate-neutral. It’s early days of course, and the EV revolution will go ahead unchecked, but there is light at the end of tunnel for those of us with petrol in the veins.

Does no one read my posts if they’re not about fixing Morgan’s.....

Simon @ Sifab.co.uk

Sifabtemporary@gmail.com
Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: Image] #674275
22/11/20 10:27 PM
22/11/20 10:27 PM
Essex
PeterG Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
PeterG  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Essex
Originally Posted by Image
if we could keep the current system but remove the same amount of CO2 then that's a bigger win environmentally.

K

Thats the sensible and rational thing to do. When does that ever happen.....

Re: Petrol and diesel car ban 2030 [Re: SimonH] #674276
22/11/20 10:34 PM
22/11/20 10:34 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Image  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Aberdeenshire

[/quote]Does no one read my posts if they’re not about fixing Morgan’s.....[/quote]

I think the problem is that we've had several threads that have woven around this issue and the same points inevitably arise multiple times.

K

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  TalkMorgan