Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
14 registered members (M3W55, drewg, Scrambledsignals, LightSpeed, ChrisP, nick w, Socalm3w, DickJ, Gordon D, Edwin, flyfisher, Jads, Cuna2016, yobtaf), 140 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 289
+8Rich 281
Peter J 171
Image 139
Newest Topics
Morgan Plus 8 / Speedster Air Filter
by Helfinger. 14/04/21 11:12 AM
S1 side glass.
by Viper. 14/04/21 08:17 AM
Leicestershire sighting
by Farmer Giles. 13/04/21 09:47 PM
Leaking master cylinder
by auster. 13/04/21 08:04 PM
Morgan 4/4 for sale
by Spanner Juggler. 13/04/21 07:40 PM
alternative bevel box - bb replacement ?
by thono. 13/04/21 07:29 PM
Good news for Rhino's in Nepal
by +8Rich. 13/04/21 04:36 PM
Latest Photos
2017 Sport Blue M3W
Front spoiler
My M3W
Spring has sprung at Hintlesham...
Rebuilds begin
Newest Members
JFPlus4, Garry4, Steven Cheong, Ben25855, Scott G
7473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics40,987
Posts685,830
Members7,473
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
missprint, p8mog
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: DaveW] #676513
06/12/20 02:26 PM
06/12/20 02:26 PM
Hampton Hill, Middx.
DavidR Online NoMood
Talk Morgan Regular
DavidR  Online NoMood
Talk Morgan Regular

Hampton Hill, Middx.
A daily read for the last 4 years, thank you one and all who make it the great place it is. cheers

David
Aero S4
Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: DaveW] #676515
06/12/20 02:33 PM
06/12/20 02:33 PM
Northamptonshire UK
S
Stringers Best Mate Offline
Talk Morgan Sage
Stringers Best Mate  Offline
Talk Morgan Sage
S

Northamptonshire UK
Indeed the years do fly by..

TM has made an indelible mark on my life through meeting so many lovely people. It's far more than simply owning a Morgan, which is quite handy as I'm between Morgans currently..!

Like all on-line forums, it has attracted it's fair share of the 'Me, me, me' characters and there's been many a meaningless spat, but in the main everyone is genuine and enthusiastic. And wrong, if it's not my opinion too.. innocent

When you consider it's all down to one person to run and caretake it, it's a massive achievement and it's to Boss Man Simon's credit that he's still sane despite pondering old Porsches.

Maybe Dave could write a book on it.

Or not..

somestick

Steve
Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: DaveW] #676518
06/12/20 02:40 PM
06/12/20 02:40 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Image  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Aberdeenshire
There seem to be one or two escaping their fate by using PDT* .... tho personally I would consider the cure worse than the disease!

K

* Porsche Diversion Therapy

Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: DaveW] #676534
06/12/20 04:13 PM
06/12/20 04:13 PM
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
L

Guess I became an internet forum addict since I joined the MSCC DG when it first appeared with no more than a handful of members, after that eMog, seemed to be THE place to share views in a setting perhaps less controlled by the faithful, but then control is ever a difficult tightrope to try to walk. I suspect when emojis arrived on the scene, the level of misunderstanding of the typed word relative to the meaning hoped to be conveyed by the author reduced exponentially ,which may have also reduced the workload of moderators on forums..

K, seems you have a somewhat negative thing relative to Porsche... somestick laugh2

Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: DaveW] #676544
06/12/20 04:38 PM
06/12/20 04:38 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Image  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Aberdeenshire
Luddite .....once you get beyond the numbers with cars you're into subjective territory ..... whether you like, love or can 'take or leave' a particular car is purely down to personal feelings (and in my case often has little to do with the numbers these days ) .... for some reason Porsches have never pressed my buttons (really, most contemporary German cars I find unsatisfyingly competent .... fine bits of engineering, just not for me ) ..... as I get older I embrace imperfection, prioritising character over clinical excellence (not much option on a personal level! smile ) and my liking in terms of cars reflects this. Porsches are just too 'nice' for me! smile .... I can see the appeal for others, but try as I might I can't share it. Wouldn't do if we were all the same.

K

Ps ... closest I've come is an early 'tree-frog green' 911 Carrera '70s vintage owned by a racing solicitor from Aberdeen smile

Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: DaveW] #676582
06/12/20 07:04 PM
06/12/20 07:04 PM
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
L

K, many thanks for taking time to share your thinking on Porsche, interesting indeed..

I suspect such is my nature I am unlikely to ever get beyond the numbers, in terms of hobby vehicles, for toys can appear as somewhat selfish purchases..? At this stage of the game I tend to contemplate the possibility of converting many aspects of life into nursing home fees or such like for either or both of us in time, though hopefully not for a few years yet, thus I tend to be trying to maintain a reasonable and very personal balance when attempting to justify expenditure on toys to myself, for other than that there would be a Porsche sitting alongside my Morgan in my garage as I type this....(-:

I was not an instant convert to Porsche, considering them to be not much more than souped up Beetles, though the more I looked into the history of the marque and their sporting success the more curious I became. Sporting success definitely impressed me as a yoof which was one of the reasons I was into Lotus for many a year, in fact more than enough years to learn of their...err...frailty in many areas, thus in time something a tad more solidly built carried a certain amount of attraction.... the reported build quality of Beetle to be found in a successful sports car was the impetus to tempt me to investigate that which all this Porsche patter was about..

I became a relatively long term owner/restorer of my Porsche air cooled models from the 60`s 70`s and 80`s vintages, but I gave up on Porsche at the time the way forward seemed to be aimed at more comfort, easier and safer to drive, with power steering, ABS, complex suspension, other expensive and difficult mechanical aspects for a part time home mechanic to contend with, thus I went off in search of a more involved driving experience at road legal speeds, and as I have oft related, t`was a Vintage LM styled Bentley roaring down the side of Loch Tay hopping over road undulations that turned my head, and in time found me sitting behind the wheel of my +8 trying to emulate that Bentley driver as I drove down the side of Loch Tay occasionally hopping over undulations though a bit less so than the formidable Bentley...(-:

TODAY... I am still as fond of my +8 as ever I was, just that it does not suit my ability to enjoy it as once it did, whereas a sporting tin top might, and factoring age into the process perhaps best leave memories of old air cooled pre 964 Porsches back behind the mists of time..? These days an effective heater, and less effort in steering and braking could be thought of as advantages, perhaps even flappy paddle gear changing and reversing sensors too.... Sigh..! Oh well, there seems little point in denying the passage of time and it`s effects...?

Why Porsche... Well I guess both as the cumulative result of both their history and mine of enjoying the marque over quite a few years...Whether there is any value to be found in that or not, I have no idea, for I suspect whatever vehicles we enjoy and in many and varied ways, other than the practical, is likely to be more down to emotional involvement with it than much else..?

Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: DaveW] #676586
06/12/20 07:16 PM
06/12/20 07:16 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire

Yes it's a nice friendly place to be apart from the "odd special" argumentative characters we have that for the most part don't fully join in, when I joined there were 800 members and they weren't around, anyone remember Dogmanjack now he truly was special. The ignore button works well.

After 11 years and 3 Morgan's I can say I have really enjoyed my time on here and learnt a lot about Morgan's and am looking forward to getting a Plus Four next year, I have met so many thoroughly nice people on here and an oddball or two in person and that enriches the TM experience together with the outings.

It's akin to an interactive Morgan Haynes manual especially so with Button who was my goto for all things Morgan, he was a very special man whom I am proud to have known and learnt from.
And then there is Lorne and I am really pleased to be friends with him, a very kind hearted man and knowledgeable.

Peace on Earth and Everything thumbs

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1994 Connaught Green +8 prev

Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: +8Rich] #676593
06/12/20 07:49 PM
06/12/20 07:49 PM
Essex
PeterG Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
PeterG  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Essex
Originally Posted by +8Rich

anyone remember Dogmanjack now he truly was special thumbs

Yes, bless him doh

Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: DaveW] #676597
06/12/20 07:58 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Online content OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Online Content OP
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
Last seen mid 2016.........................

DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) AR Plus 4
Re: The season of Goodwill [Re: PeterG] #676598
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire
Originally Posted by PeterG
Originally Posted by +8Rich

anyone remember Dogmanjack now he truly was special thumbs

Yes, bless him doh

I think he was a DJ from the States but living up North here at the time, it was bizarre and involved the purchase or not of an Aero if I remember correctly and then it all fell through grin2

I seem to recall some pretty heated exchanges between the normal arguers and him laugh2

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1994 Connaught Green +8 prev

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  TalkMorgan