Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online
17 registered (Clipper, hbatts, rv6, vittorio, Ruut Bianchi, Georgie, uvk33n, LE52MOG, Corsu, Kolvites, Mark H, John V6, Brum Rum, Ncik P, PaulJ, dmh, Paul F), 73 Guests and 126 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
should have it by the end of this year
Last weekend in the Alps
Morgan meets Transformers
Spotted hiding at Henry Moore Foundation
Bury St Ed and the Krazy Horse
Newest Topics
New Garage - lift question
by Sutton's Burrow
Today at 05:40 PM
Hardly believable!
by Eddie
Today at 02:43 PM
Weekend in the Cotswolds
by MOG 615
Today at 02:17 PM
Advice on how to sell my S1Aero 8
by Mark jackson
Today at 01:27 PM
Autumn Leaves Mountain Roads
by Gambalunga
Today at 07:15 AM
Interesting item about exhaust gases
by nick w
Yesterday at 06:03 PM
An all electric future!
by Gambalunga
Yesterday at 02:11 PM
Newest Members
velociphiles, Landiman, Neil Marsay, 44mog, KennethM
5738 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
5,738 Registered Members
33 Forums
29,970 Topics
467,587 Posts

Most users ever online: 260 @ 23/08/17 09:25 PM
Today's Birthdays
ron
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#69317 - 30/09/11 10:35 PM Morgan Plus 8 - The New One!
Aeroman Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Eton, Berks
I went to Chris Lawrence's Memorial Service today and very moving it was too. A suitably dignified service with interesting speeches by a number of different speakers, including Charles. An amazing collection of cars outside the Abey, including TOK 258; an SLR (258 TOK); a Monica and the Deep Sanderson 'Twinny' amongst others, including Charles' AeroMax.

After the service I went back to the Works and saw the progress on a number of current projects, or should that read new cars? Firstly, does anyone recognise what is in the background here (TOK is in the foreground):

Yes, they had just finished the first pre-production prototype Plus 8+ (or whatever they decide to call it!) and it was hidden away in the Aero shed, in amongst a number of other Trads. Well after a special request, it was agreed that I would be one of the very first to drive it and it was brought out.

As this is a pre-production model, many of the items on show are not necessarily those of the production car, and many final spec decisions have not yet been taken. Thus, this car has Aero SS wheels and seats and these will not necessarily be on the final version. The front wings are not Superformed (but will be) and are produced in the Works on this car, etc, etc. I'm sure you get the picture, though the car having been stored in a dusty environment could have done with a wash! gloomy

First impressions are very positive and especially from the side view the car does not look any bigger than a Roadster. From the front the wider windscreen gives the game away, but the car does not look ungainly in any way. The same from the rear, it does look like a slightly larger 4/4 Sport and whilst the exhausts look the business and sound great, side-pipes a la Aero SS will also be available, so that option is really a no-brainer! innocent

The interior is not completely set in stone as yet, but this does give you some idea of the 'look'

Now the $64-thousand Dollar question is how does it drive? Well in many ways like an Aero with a Trad body! doh No surprises there then, it does feel really well planted and also very light and without the same slight roll-oversteer you get with most post Series I Aero's, but there is now doubt that it is fast and there is certainly nothing much wrong with the set-up straight out of the box. woohoo

I did take some other photos, especially of the 3-wheelers available, but will post them on a separate thread tomorrow.

Morgan SP1 (Rocket Red)
Morgan Plus 8 (Rocket Blue)

#69318 - 30/09/11 11:06 PM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: Aeroman]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devon UK
Thanks for the pictures Aeroman mouthwatering - just a proper steering wheel and Superform wings and away she goes.

So much prettier than the Original Aero-chassied +8 at Richard Thornes.

Green with envy at you having a pop behind the wheel envy grin2

#69323 - 01/10/11 06:57 AM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: +8Rich]
Boshly Offline
NGUNS!!
Part of the Furniture

Loc: Surrey, UK
Wheels don't look right but I like the SS seats in it! Otherwise I think it looks great and a fantastic connection between trad and Aero!

Now come Aeroman, pray tell, deposit placed??? I know you loved how it drove and performed from our conversation yesterday laugh2

BtG

#69324 - 01/10/11 07:05 AM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: Boshly]
1560 Offline
Goodwood Drifter
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: european union
I don't like it quiet

#69326 - 01/10/11 08:10 AM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: 1560]
John V6 Online   content

Loc: Bucks
It needs a trad handbrake & more suitable seats.

#69328 - 01/10/11 08:29 AM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: John V6]
Jays Offline

Loc: Cumbria UK usually
I agree with John! Interesting that they have succeeded in fitting the body over the new chassis without compromising the shape much.....although it's all too wide for my tastes. I do like the 4 tailpipes though!

2009 Roadster 3.0 "NERO"

#69331 - 01/10/11 09:51 AM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: Jays]
1560 Offline
Goodwood Drifter
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: european union
I would start with 17inch wheels,
other seats
the rear end isn't "completed" yet imho
rpm in front of driver

#69332 - 01/10/11 10:35 AM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: 1560]
John V6 Online   content

Loc: Bucks
Go Mog in the Morganwire suggests they want 90k for it.
Seems really expensive to me.

#69334 - 01/10/11 12:03 PM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: John V6]
Aeroman Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Eton, Berks
Thanks Guys, interesting to hear the various views. Like Boshers I do like the seats and they are certainly comfortable as we know from the SS, but they are not a definite to be fitted. coffee

Originally Posted By John +4
Go Mog in the Morganwire suggests they want 90k for it.
Seems really expensive to me.

I have been given an indication on the price in confidence and let me just say that Mogwire are very misinformed (not for the first time!) smile

If they do launch at the price I have been given, then I think that they will sell very well. However, extras such as the Aero SS sidepipes will push the price up, but looking at what secondhand Aero's are now selling it appears there is a considerable niche for such a sportscar?

The car will be launched formally at the Geneva Motorshow and deposits are not being taken as yet Andy...

Morgan SP1 (Rocket Red)
Morgan Plus 8 (Rocket Blue)

#69335 - 01/10/11 12:19 PM Re: Morgan Plus 8 - The New One! [Re: John V6]
JJW Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: NL
I always liked the idea of a modern chassis and a trad body, but without too much compromise to the trad looks. Seats look wrong (imho) and there is something a odd about the sides of the front wings (higher) but what wheels will it get? shocked2 If the wings/hubs/brakes are designed for wide 19" rims, will something more trad looking even be possible? I hope something like the minilites from the plus4ss with higher tires will fit (and not completely destroy the handling). If it stays on 18 or 19" wheels with low profile tires than its not for me. ooo
Cheers J

Edited by JJW (01/10/11 12:21 PM)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon