Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Heinz, James B W, Jack & Jill 602, Image, DWil23, JohnWT, Bunny), 84 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 226
John V6 180
Image 129
OZ 4/4 119
CooperMan 113
Newest Members
Mikemog6, John Fell, RevD, Beat-Chris, 1854sailor
8033 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Tesla - Switch Off?
by Budster. 06/07/22 04:12 PM
Gear Shift Knob
by 1854sailor. 06/07/22 11:53 AM
Kingswear Castle PS rebuild progress
by +8Rich. 05/07/22 10:04 PM
Miscellany cover pic
by Luddite. 05/07/22 08:25 PM
Corroded Side Light Screws
by Budster. 05/07/22 06:07 PM
Great service on Morris oils
by RichardV6. 05/07/22 02:49 PM
1973 +8, exhaust fumes in cabin
by Sensei. 04/07/22 08:18 PM
Latest Photos
We call her "Little Red"
2021 M3W Torn Boot
RP-Kestrel_Homebuilt prototype aircraft_PART 2
RP-Kestrel_Homebuilt prototype aircraft_PART 1
Isle of Man Trip June 2022
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics43,595
Posts733,725
Members8,033
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
RonB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Staggered rubber [Re: Viper] #707914
25/06/21 12:56 PM
25/06/21 12:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,337
SimonH Offline
Has a lot to Say!
SimonH  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,337
Originally Posted by Viper
Discs are slotted with bolted bell. (Semi floating??)

Pads are mintex.

Supplied by SiFab.

With post up when they arrive


They aren't grooved. The noise would drive you crackers in traffic....

But they are floating discs- toleranced for a road car


Simon @ Sifab.co.uk

Sifabtemporary@gmail.com
Re: Staggered rubber [Re: SimonH] #707915
25/06/21 01:34 PM
25/06/21 01:34 PM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,835
Buckinghamshire
NickCW Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
NickCW  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,835
Buckinghamshire
Originally Posted by SimonH
Originally Posted by Viper
Discs are slotted with bolted bell. (Semi floating??)

Pads are mintex.

Supplied by SiFab.

With post up when they arrive


They aren't grooved. The noise would drive you crackers in traffic....

But they are floating discs- toleranced for a road car


How much is a set with pads Si?
Need to get some for mine at some point, but won't be until I have the callipers done..


Aero 8 S1

"What we do in life.. echoes in eternity."
Re: Staggered rubber [Re: Viper] #708739
05/07/21 06:38 AM
05/07/21 06:38 AM
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 461
Oxted
PJC Offline
Learner Plates Off!
PJC  Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 461
Oxted
Pilot Sport 4 tyres added this weekend and initial thoughts from a quick 30min run out is very good. They feel a little more supple than the Avons they have replaced and a little quieter too. Not sure if anyone else has experienced the slight feeling of vagueness in the steering at dead-ahead that sometimes occurs from the electric power steering. These tyres do seems to reduce that a bit too, so all good at present. A great deal from Kwik Fit at £401 (supplied and fitted) and with a voucher for a one night hotel stay thrown in.


Cheers, Paul
Re: Staggered rubber [Re: Viper] #708845
06/07/21 09:26 AM
06/07/21 09:26 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 14,977
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 14,977
Salisbury, UK
Pilot Sport 4S on Tarks, 225 at the front and 245 at the rear, as recommended.
A VAST improvement over the Avons ZZs that the car was built with.
Interestingly, the wheel rims are exactly the same, 225 is the narrowest fitting allowed for the wheel width, which is why the rim is so east to scuff.


Peter,
Power Corrupts.....
Tarka the 'Otter Mog....2014 Plus 8
Tesla Model 3 AWD.


Re: Staggered rubber [Re: Viper] #708861
06/07/21 11:07 AM
06/07/21 11:07 AM
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 461
Oxted
PJC Offline
Learner Plates Off!
PJC  Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 461
Oxted
Hi Peter, that's really interesting. I couldn't get the tyres sizes in Pilot Sport 4S hence going for Pilot Sport 4. I've got 245/40 18 and 225/40 18. I agree they are massively better than the Avons. Fingers crossed for some sunshine this weekend!


Cheers, Paul
Re: Staggered rubber [Re: PJC] #708926
06/07/21 05:34 PM
06/07/21 05:34 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 14,977
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 14,977
Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted by PJC
Hi Peter, that's really interesting. I couldn't get the tyres sizes in Pilot Sport 4S hence going for Pilot Sport 4. I've got 245/40 18 and 225/40 18. I agree they are massively better than the Avons. Fingers crossed for some sunshine this weekend!




Paul, I have 19" AeroMax wheels, not the standard 18" wheels. So you may be right.

I couldn't get Michelin Cross Climate tyres for 19" rims, but they are available for 18".

the availability of tyres in specific sizes is unpredictable....


Peter,
Power Corrupts.....
Tarka the 'Otter Mog....2014 Plus 8
Tesla Model 3 AWD.


Re: Staggered rubber [Re: Viper] #708933
06/07/21 05:48 PM
06/07/21 05:48 PM
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 461
Oxted
PJC Offline
Learner Plates Off!
PJC  Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 461
Oxted
OK, that makes sense, I'll get some Cross Climates for my other set of 18s


Cheers, Paul
Re: Staggered rubber [Re: Viper] #708935
06/07/21 05:49 PM
06/07/21 05:49 PM
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 461
Oxted
PJC Offline
Learner Plates Off!
PJC  Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 461
Oxted
Blimey - just seen my TM "Status" - its been a long while since I've had L Plates - lol


Cheers, Paul
Re: Staggered rubber [Re: Viper] #729723
09/01/22 04:44 PM
09/01/22 04:44 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,070
TheCustomer Offline
Has a lot to Say!
TheCustomer  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,070
I've been searching for tyres
& looking at reviews... it's a rabbit hole that can consume you for days. The "same" tyre can perform differently relative to others, when the tests are of different sizes, on different cars and presumably different surfaces.
& nobody runs tests on anything like an Aero!

Anyhoo.. I spotted this - the weight of tyres - which is not often given.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm (scroll down past the barcharts to the results & weights)

So for example for 225/40 R18 92Y
Pilot Sport 4S 9.76kgs
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 9.44kgs
Bridgestone Potenza 9.98kgs
Pirelli P Zero PZ4 9.37kgs

The 2.6kgs difference between the Pirelli & Bridgestone in an 1100kg Aero might be material?
I'm no suspension expert, but I'd think that reducing the mass at each corner has to be a good thing.

My search was for the I8, which wears factory-fit run-flat Bridgestones. Runflats are never the best handling tyre. And with a carbon tub I'm looking for a quiet tyre to reduce the inherent cabin noise. All other things being equal (which they more or less are!) I'll take the 0.6kgs lighter & quieter Pirelli (-1Db before choosing the variant with 50% noise reduction tech) vs the Bridgestone.
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Auto-Bild-19-inch-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm has figures for all three in 19 inch size

The more relevant 2021 test for an Aero might be UUHP 20 inch tyres, which doesn't give weights: I guess the relative weights will stay the same
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-UUHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
I'm really not sure what tyres I'd put on the Aero if I was buying today: P4S looks like the best blend, still.

Will


Aero 8 S5
BMW i8 Coupe
Triumph Stag '72
Re: Staggered rubber [Re: TheCustomer] #729738
09/01/22 05:55 PM
09/01/22 05:55 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 14,977
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 14,977
Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted by TheCustomer
I've been searching for tyres
& looking at reviews... it's a rabbit hole that can consume you for days. The "same" tyre can perform differently relative to others, when the tests are of different sizes, on different cars and presumably different surfaces.
& nobody runs tests on anything like an Aero!

Anyhoo.. I spotted this - the weight of tyres - which is not often given.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm (scroll down past the barcharts to the results & weights)

So for example for 225/40 R18 92Y
Pilot Sport 4S 9.76kgs
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 9.44kgs
Bridgestone Potenza 9.98kgs
Pirelli P Zero PZ4 9.37kgs

The 2.6kgs difference between the Pirelli & Bridgestone in an 1100kg Aero might be material?
I'm no suspension expert, but I'd think that reducing the mass at each corner has to be a good thing.

My search was for the I8, which wears factory-fit run-flat Bridgestones. Runflats are never the best handling tyre. And with a carbon tub I'm looking for a quiet tyre to reduce the inherent cabin noise. All other things being equal (which they more or less are!) I'll take the 0.6kgs lighter & quieter Pirelli (-1Db before choosing the variant with 50% noise reduction tech) vs the Bridgestone.
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Auto-Bild-19-inch-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm has figures for all three in 19 inch size

The more relevant 2021 test for an Aero might be UUHP 20 inch tyres, which doesn't give weights: I guess the relative weights will stay the same
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-UUHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
I'm really not sure what tyres I'd put on the Aero if I was buying today: P4S looks like the best blend, still.

Will







I have, and would replace, PS4s on the Plus 8
The Tesla has these,

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/michelin/pilot-sport-4-s-acoustic

and might be worth considering on the i8.

Essentially the inside of the tyre is lined with a sound absorbing foam about 1cm thick.
They cost a little more and Tesla M3 owners who have replaced the Acoustic version with non acoustic equivalents suggest the acoustic versions are quieter.


Peter,
Power Corrupts.....
Tarka the 'Otter Mog....2014 Plus 8
Tesla Model 3 AWD.


Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  TalkMorgan 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1