Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
17 registered members (hugo, Dan_Lockwood, John V6, nippymog, HeadlessBlue, TheCustomer, Nic, SimonH, nick w, lumpy, jackmorini, Black Adder, PaulJ, AndyrIch, rv6, IvorMog, rockabilly john), 64 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 232
+8Rich 224
TBM 114
DaveW 97
Newest Members
Mac M, aircool, AJ65, Newhorizon529, JP2996
7723 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Interview with Jon Wells
by CooperMan. 26/10/21 07:59 AM
Handed drive change
by Scartans72nad. 25/10/21 11:46 PM
Talking of coolants
by IcePack. 25/10/21 09:12 PM
E405JUY where are you now ?
by Lordofthewings. 25/10/21 04:13 PM
Fractional Orbital Bombardment System
by +8Rich. 24/10/21 06:33 PM
For Sale - Vintage Leather Suitcases
by Mike Woodroffe. 24/10/21 10:40 AM
bump stops turned to powder
by craig from mich. 24/10/21 12:09 AM
Latest Photos
Picked up our Morgan ARP4!
A Special Little Chip off the Laminate
Baa baa
Anglemog visit to Bentwaters
A Norwegian coastal scenery
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics42,275
Posts709,428
Members7,723
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 #718245
16/09/21 04:11 PM
16/09/21 04:11 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

South Yorkshire
Ok, so first, the reminder where this all started:

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthread...-rear-springs-upgrade-phase-1#Post707355

The mission was to replace my 2005 six leaf rear springs with a pair of four leaf, four seater anti tramp springs.

This was my second Morgan leaf spring job, so I knew what to expect. Don't attempt this job unless you have previous leaf spring experience on other cars. Over the years, I've done a lot of Midget and MGB leaf spring changes, which are easy compared to Morgan, so be warned.

Day 1: Removed head restraints, and placed in footwells. Removed seats. There are six nuts & bolts involved. The front pair through the floorboards sealer, and chassis. The second pair through the floorboards. The third, longer pair go through the double skinned crossmember just ahead of the rear wheels. The fasteners are 1/2" AF. The rear inside nut is the only one you can't get at with both hands, but a screwdriver wedged in the seat runner will stop the bolt turning.

Remove seat belt bolt adjacent to forward leaf spring eye. The bolt head is an odd size. 17mm or 11/16" is a loose fit, but 16mm or 5/8" is too small. The nut on the outside is 11/16" but on my Roadster is shielded by the fuel pipes on the offside, and to some extent, the exhaust on both sides. It's easy enough to drop the exhaust and so that was my next job.

The image below is the offside lower seatbelt fastener (upper) and front leaf spring bolt (lower), and the fuel pipe and return pipe in the way.

[Linked Image]

It's just possible to get a small socket driver on the nut, and this handle has a twist ratchet drive which helps.
Beware that the nut or washer can fall down inside the double skin of the chassis, so I shoved a rag in the hole and used a magnetic probe to remove the washer and put it back later.

[Linked Image]

With the seatbelt bolt removed, the seat can be folded, and located on the rear shelf, after folding the carpet over, rather than removed and filling the space in the garage.
This is then repeated for the passenger seat. Access to the seatbelt fastener is much easier on the nearside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next I vacuumed the interior and checked the floorboard fasteners, some were quite loose. I also gave a quick coat of Danish oil to the floorboards under the seats.
The carpet under the seats get very grubby, and the only way to do a proper clean is to get those seats out!

This was the drivers side..........

[Linked Image]

After removing the spring covers, half a dozen screws each side.............................

Note the witness mark here where the offside spring has contacted the panel. The nearside showed a very feint contact mark.

[Linked Image]

Next I removed the luggage carrier, and spare wheel, and jacked up the rear of the Morgan, using my wooden blocks under the wheels, and leaving the jack in place with a jacking beam under the rear crossmember.

Under the spare wheel stays impressively clean.............

[Linked Image]

By this time it was 4pm, and so that ended Day 1.

DaveW
'05 Red Roadster S1
'16 Yellow (Not the only) Narrow AR GDI Plus 4
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718248
16/09/21 04:36 PM
16/09/21 04:36 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
Day 2:

Loosen front leaf spring bolts.....18mm inside and 16mm nut outside.

Using a home made lever, press down on the front of the spring, remove the bolt and allow the spring to rise into static position.

[Linked Image]

With the weight on the wheels, add wooden blocks between springs and chassis, this allows enough access to remove the U bolt nuts, base plates and U bolts.

Removed the Panhard Rod and re-drilled the spring bracket to take the larger diameter U bolts.

The next image shows the new U bolts, (left) and the old U bolts (right) with nuts and baseplates. The new items came from Mulfab as part of their axle relocation pack, and I bought this in around 2009 but never used it. The old U bolts are 5/16", new ones are 3/8", and as you can see, the new ones need cutting to the right length. I used the originals as a template, and later checked that they don't touch the chassis on full rebound.

[Linked Image]

At the rear, remove the shackle bolts.... 18mm outside, 16mm inside. You must loosen the shackle so that it can be moved to fit through the hole into the cockpit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The next image shows new and old together. The nearside old spring (second from left) has less camber then the offside spring, but this matches exactly the camber of the new springs.

[Linked Image]

Transfer the shackles to the new springs, noting which way round the bolts are. Refit through the cockpit, and use a block of wood to hold the front of the spring high until the rear shackle is located.
Last time, relocating the rear shackles was a major fight, and there is a spacer washer either side which must be fitted in a really tight space with limited access. This time for some reason, hand pressure was enough and each of the washers just went into place effortlessly.

[Linked Image]

After shortening the U bolts, I fitted the nearside first. This needs a bit of jiggling to get the space to start the nuts, outer ones first, then inners. Initially I used plain nuts until everything was lined up. The axle needed moving back slightly to find the locating dowel, which I achieved by kicking the wheel hard. innocent

The offside put up more of a fight but eventually was fitted. I left the Panhard Rod for day 3.

[Linked Image]

DaveW
'05 Red Roadster S1
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718255
16/09/21 04:44 PM
16/09/21 04:44 PM
Northern Capital of Cool
CooperMan Offline
Just barreling along
CooperMan  Offline
Just barreling along
Part of the Furniture

Northern Capital of Cool
Nice one Dave thumbs

Jon M
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718261
16/09/21 04:57 PM
16/09/21 04:57 PM
Surrey
Kevcaster Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Kevcaster  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Surrey
I'm breathless and in awe.

Kevin

2009 Morgan Plus 4 - 4 seater
2015 Subaru Forester 2.0ltr
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718262
16/09/21 05:01 PM
16/09/21 05:01 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
Day 3:
Full of confidence after Day 2 I figured I could lever the front of both springs into place just using brute strength and a long jack handle. This was a mistake. An hour later and with much heaving, it was not possible. Even with my full weight on a four foot bar, I was half an inch short of alignment on the nearside. So back to the G clamps, which I used last time. Using wooden blocks under the chassis, and two G clamps, I attacked the offside. With the spring clamped it was only an inch above the chassis, and within a couple of minutes, the bolt was in. There is also a washer and tube spacer to add, so it can be fiddly.

Emboldened with this success, I returned to the nearside, clamped up, and after a few more minutes the bolt was in.

[Linked Image]

I refitted the spring covers, and carpet, and the wooden battens.

[Linked Image]

With the weight of the Morgan on the wheels, I tightened the rear shackles and sprayed over using Tectyl 506, then refitted the spare wheel and luggage rack.

The nearside U bolts were competed with the nylocs, but the offside required the Panhard Rod bracket fitting. Since the axle had moved back slightly, this meant that I had to lose a small section of the rear floorboard for clearance, and also re-arrange the spacers to move the rod slightly rearwards. Once this was done I checked that the U bolts don't contact the chassis on rebound.......it's really tight, maybe 2mm, but is acceptable.

[Linked Image]

Then it was a care of refitting the seatbelt attachment and seats., and tidying up around the rear axle with a lick of paint and some Tectyl 506.

[Linked Image]

Finally I scoured the exhaust, got rid of all the tar spots, and refitted it.
On the subject of rear wheel position in the arches, I was never that bothered, but now the new springs have set the axle back, I can see it looks better.....

Before:
[Linked Image]

Now:
[Linked Image]

The verdict? MrsW noticed an immediate difference as we pulled away. The rear end is much more compliant, and softer over irregularities, and much less jarring over more serious bumps. It really is a huge improvement over the six leaf spring. We did 44 miles today on mixed roads and I'm really happy I decided to do this upgrade. thumbs

DaveW
'05 Red Roadster S1
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718263
16/09/21 05:03 PM
16/09/21 05:03 PM
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Paul F Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Paul F  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Thanks Dave,

Excellent post as usual.

Paul
Costock, UK
2014 4/4 Rolls Royce Garnet Red
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718265
16/09/21 05:07 PM
16/09/21 05:07 PM
Northern Capital of Cool
CooperMan Offline
Just barreling along
CooperMan  Offline
Just barreling along
Part of the Furniture

Northern Capital of Cool
Sounds like a great result Dave

You really are the Roadster Guru notworthy

Jon M
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718267
16/09/21 05:13 PM
16/09/21 05:13 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
It was another full on few days, Paul, Kev, Jon!! I hoped to do it in two days, but I'm losing my endurance, so by 4pm I'm done for!!!

It can be a two man job sometimes, but I don't have easy access to a helper. MrsW tried to help as I was bouncing on the jack handle but soon ran away.

But the results more than make up for it, it's a really cost effective upgrade, especially if you have the six leafers!

DaveW
'05 Red Roadster S1
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718274
16/09/21 06:28 PM
16/09/21 06:28 PM
I
IcePack Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
IcePack  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
I

Dave excellent description as usual. A job I will have to do sooner than later. Silly question but where exactly did you place the wood blocks to hold the springs clear of the chassis to allow access to the outer U bolt nuts. & did you clamp them ? On looking I can’t see a safe place.
Thanks

4/4 Ivory 4.1:1 axle, Jaguar XE R-Sport.
Re: Roadster Rear Springs Upgrade Phase 2 [Re: DaveW] #718275
16/09/21 06:33 PM
16/09/21 06:33 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
Either side of the U bolt baseplate, they just slot in if you get the right thickness. And stay put!

For the outer U bolt, closest to the chassis vertical, only an open ender works because of limited access.

On the side with the Panhard Rod bracket, it's a struggle to get a piece of wood in there and then get it back out, but I managed it.

More pics here on my first attempt!! http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/206231/6

DaveW
'05 Red Roadster S1
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  TalkMorgan