Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
11 registered members (Sir Percival, Socalm3w, Fjemog, TBM, B3MOG, Jensen1960, nippymog, series1, Buzz44, SimonH, James B W), 44 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
OZ 4/4 151
John V6 130
+8Rich 122
Luddite 113
CooperMan 109
Newest Members
JJD1776, Newboy, Tractor Driver, Phil Bordeaux, Slushymud
8127 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Sidescreen window sticking
by Felix42. 28/09/22 09:22 PM
CANBUS & LEDs
by Buzz44. 28/09/22 02:32 PM
S1 Aero on live UK online auction - Ends 27 Sept
by Volvos60s60. 28/09/22 08:07 AM
Whilst I'm at it...
by Treesurveyor. 27/09/22 08:06 PM
Wobbly Steering Wheel
by Treesurveyor. 27/09/22 06:56 PM
Greasing the front UJs
by John V6. 27/09/22 01:23 PM
Roaster 3.0 MK 1 Pulley Noise / Wobble
by flyfisher. 27/09/22 12:23 PM
Latest Photos
MORGAN SUPER 3 SUPER CLASSIC
Mirror
Fun in the Sun
My 1991 Plus 8
Morgan Super 4 EV
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics44,095
Posts743,435
Members8,127
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Dutch
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The maddest thing I've done so far #739291
18/04/22 08:24 AM
18/04/22 08:24 AM
Cotswolds
Treesurveyor Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Treesurveyor  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Cotswolds
Maybe not the most arduous, but signing up to drive 350+ miles virtually non stop over 21 hrs is definitely up there.
The Inspiration
[Linked Image]

Excitedly, and in a moment of rashness I paid the fee and invited my 23 yr old son, Chris, to participate. He dutifuly signed up as a passenger, sorted his mscuk licence, and the date was set. A week later, I'm informed he has a motorbike charity easter egg run booked, with his girlfriend. Clearly, I can't compete with that! Not to worry, I have a reserve in the form of 11 yr old Dylan, and it's the Easter break.
Now, many of you may wonder, as did my partner Karen, what on earth could possess one who drives their Morgan "that bloody (2 seater!) sports car" all week, all over the country, to give up a relaxing bank holiday weekend, and drive like you never have before!
Well, mad dogs and englishmen, etc! and as I regularly do 6 hr, 250 mile + commutes, the prospect of spending the weekend in the car didn't phase me at all. A quick call a few nights before with experienced triallers Iain , Charles, John and Jane, of the MSCC, where I was put straight on my thoughts of downloading and following the Main Trial GPX- " You'll end up in some very muddy, very narrow footpaths", best to follow the guidance and log the trip each time- foolproof!
A normal Good Friday ensued, relax, chores etc etc; Bugger, forgot to replace the front pads; retrieve same, emergency, totally original Jurid Austin Princess pads from back of shed, and replace. Glad I did, as the EBC Yellows were down to not enough to get there and back stage. Fingers crossed the AP pads last as long!
Lights check/prepped and ready
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Everything prepped and stowed, it was off with Dyaln to the Cirencester start point where we met up with MSCC member John Coupland, in his Plus Four, and his navigator John. Having cleared initial scrutineering, we waited for our alloted start time, and contemplated the route.
[Linked Image]
John and John set off a minute before us, and before too long we had caught up- easy this I thought- I'll let John do all the navving and just follow behind. All was well, and we pulled into the Warminster check point for fuel top up if needed, and I thought to have a few minutes rest as we were early for the Bridgewater sign in. An hour or so later, and we pulled into Bridgewater, where the young mans request to put the roof up was finally given in to- He's learning, but it was pretty chilly by then to be honest, and a fair bit of damp in the air!
[Linked Image]
At midnight, we set off toward our first challenge, an easy run to get you going, and spot a route board en route to the Hall Hill restart beyond Porlock.
We lost John and the other Morgans by this time, but were pipped at a cross roads by a bmw x3 coming the other way, with a Class R number on board. By now we had spun round, retraced and doubled back sufficient times for my young navigator to get completely dis-orientated, so we followed the bmw for a while so he could route check- Yep, it's all good, he must be going the same way as us- he's in the same class and everything! By now the roads were filling up with bikes and all manor of crazy contraptions, all set on completeing the Lands End Trial. We continued in the procession, chdecking our route, or so I thought, and following the bmw- Before I knew it we were at Barbrook, compulsory rest stop 2- I met Charles, who congratulated us on our good time-" But I haven't done Hill Hill yet!" If I was quick, I could get there and back without suffering a time penalty here- no time to discuss, we hopped in and retraced our route. Having not done a trials or autocross or any other kind of motorsport challenge before, I was rather hoping to be in a queue up to see what went on- but this tricky restart was beyond the corner anyway- Well, I had adjusted the handbrake, so that wouldn't be an issue- but on go I realised I had wildly misjudged the acuteness of the corner and the mogs turning arc- I had to reverse and have another go- section failed! At least we got back to the tie chdeck in time for a cup of tea. Barton Steep next, now I knew what to expect, having been briefed by Iain. This was a forward/reverse restart - success! On through the night, via Kipscombe Hill obsereved section, and various route board collections and I will say I don't think I have been quite so tired since my last 4 on 3 off watch rota's. I had forgotten how fogged the brain can get when deprived of rest, let alone sleep! By now, Dylan had got the hang of things however, and was able to keep us on the rihght track to Widemouth Bay, for the mornings route check and a photo opp.
[Linked Image]

Two more observed sections and a route board before breakfast, but at leat it was light now and it was easireer to make sense of things.
Wilsey Down at 09:01 - a 20 minute late arrival as we stopped to look at the view in Widemouth- and well deserved breakfast for us both.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't know which I have more admiration for., the bike lot on their two wheels all night, or the little 3 wheeler!
Onwards then to the finish! I really felt like crying"are we nearly there yet! to someone, but bit my tongue in the presence of the young lad, who has always been an excellent traveller.
[Linked Image]

A couple more route board and check points, a stop off at Devils Mouth for some RandR, and Cornish ice cream,

[Linked Image]

and finally to Old Blue Hills observed section- now this is not the "proper" clinmb up a craggy track, but having seen a Porsche several cars ahaead of us fail amid tyre squealing and smoke several times, it was apparent that this was a very steep start into an imposing left hander! This time I watched everyones road positioning, and got over to the right on my turn. On the flag, we gently dropped the clutch, and cruised round as if on a magic carpet- thank goodness for that low down torque of the V8. Up the Hill, and after a few wrong turns, we made it to the final check point- a little early, I decided to pull over to use the facilities. Clearly, the nights trip and tasks had taken its toll on my navigator, who had succumbed to the relief of getting past the last section.

[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/04/17/20220416_150202.jpg[/img]

No matter, the checkpoint was just round the corner, and then a straightforward run to Loggans for the end sign off. Without my navigator, and a Morgan Clock- I arrived too early, by 90 seconds- having quizzed me , and after seeing my navigator slumped in the passenger seat, the marshall gave me the benefit and my time corrected, so no penalty imposed!
The final push, with the route and directions burned into my mind, I paced myself to get to Loggans with a few minutes to spare, fill in the spare printed route card that Iain had, and signed off.
Not everyone got one!

[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/04/18/20220418_090858.jpg[/img]
The MSCC members cars at the finish
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/04/17/20220416_162002.jpg[/img]

Was it FUN- a resounding yes, - shall I be having another go? , probably next year, but in something suited to the main trial- like the unfinished Moss Malvern kit car I recently bought to complete with my two sons.........

All in all a great test of the spirit, and the car, I highly commend it!

( BB Code not working for the last pics, you'll maybe have to click on them)

"DOT" 35th Anniversary Edition Plus 8- family owned from new. Rolls Royce Pewter.
06 Saab 93
Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739292
18/04/22 08:36 AM
18/04/22 08:36 AM
Petersfield, Hampshire
Ian Wegg Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Ian Wegg  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Petersfield, Hampshire
Originally Posted by Treesurveyor

[Linked Image]

No matter, the checkpoint was just round the corner, and then a straightforward run to Loggans for the end sign off. Without my navigator, and a Morgan Clock- I arrived too early, by 90 seconds- having quizzed me , and after seeing my navigator slumped in the passenger seat, the marshall gave me the benefit and my time corrected, so no penalty imposed!
The final push, with the route and directions burned into my mind, I paced myself to get to Loggans with a few minutes to spare, fill in the spare printed route card that Iain had, and signed off.
Not everyone got one!

[Linked Image]
The MSCC members cars at the finish
[Linked Image]

Was it FUN- a resounding yes, - shall I be having another go? , probably next year, but in something suited to the main trial- like the unfinished Moss Malvern kit car I recently bought to complete with my two sons.........

All in all a great test of the spirit, and the car, I highly commend it!

( BB Code not working for the last pics, you'll maybe have to click on them)

There is a limit to the number of images you can insert in a single post, fixed. (It's also worth using the medium size option to cut down on network traffic).

1980 Morgan 4/4 4-seater
1932 Austin 7 Chummy
Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739294
18/04/22 08:39 AM
18/04/22 08:39 AM
Cotswolds
Treesurveyor Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Treesurveyor  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Cotswolds
Thanks Ian, thought that might be the case! Ill bear that in mind

"DOT" 35th Anniversary Edition Plus 8- family owned from new. Rolls Royce Pewter.
06 Saab 93
Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739296
18/04/22 09:33 AM
18/04/22 09:33 AM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
Tricky Dicky
+8Rich  Offline
Tricky Dicky
Member of the Inner Circle

Devonshire
Well done Phil I'm glad it all went well and you got a certificate to prove it - your Son will have no problem with his next school essay now thumbs

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us all smile

And well done to the other Morgan entrants too keeping the tradition alive and well.

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green prev
1993 Connaught Green +8 prev

Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739298
18/04/22 10:32 AM
18/04/22 10:32 AM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog

Salisbury, UK
Just the "normal excencitricty" of most Morgan owners.
If it seems fun and makes you smile, just do it!

Peter,
66, 2016 Porsche Boxster S
Tarka, 2014 Plus 8....Back on the Road Again!!

Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739308
18/04/22 12:01 PM
18/04/22 12:01 PM
Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Paul F Offline
Part of the Furniture
Paul F  Offline
Part of the Furniture

Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Very well done. A great achievement.

Paul
Costock, UK
2014 4/4 Rolls Royce Garnet Red
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross
Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739318
18/04/22 04:39 PM
18/04/22 04:39 PM
Cambridge UK
S
Stephen888 Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Stephen888  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
S

Cambridge UK
Great achievement. Well done

1980 +8 Blue
----------------
Stephen
Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739325
18/04/22 05:36 PM
18/04/22 05:36 PM
Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Graham, G4FUJ  Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Nice one Phil! thumbs

Graham (G4FUJ)

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'09 Alfa Romeo MiTo
Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739331
18/04/22 06:02 PM
18/04/22 06:02 PM
Northamptonshire UK
S
SBM Offline
Talk Morgan Sage
SBM  Offline
Talk Morgan Sage
S

Northamptonshire UK
Phil,

I've copied this across to the event organisers pages & been asked if you'd be happy for the organisers to place it in the MCC's TRIPLE magazine..? I've replied that I'd ask..

On the other hand, you'll have access to Celia's email address to send things directly. If you do, tell he I sent you..!!

Good write up, well done..

Steve
Re: The maddest thing I've done so far [Re: Treesurveyor] #739342
18/04/22 07:07 PM
18/04/22 07:07 PM
Petersfield, Hampshire
Ian Wegg Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Ian Wegg  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Petersfield, Hampshire
(Apologies for my rather abrupt initial reply. My wife and daughter wanted to go to the coast for the day but I wanted to get your last 3 pictures fixed before heading off!)

What a great write-up, and a fabulous adventure for your 11-year-old companion. Very inspiring, thanks for posting.

1980 Morgan 4/4 4-seater
1932 Austin 7 Chummy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  TalkMorgan