Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Barkbark, CraigL), 51 guests, and 35 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 149
John V6 136
OZ 4/4 121
Alistair 104
Newest Members
05 Roadster, John Tromans, Factotum, Dave Jones, Fester
8159 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Spark Plug Wires
by PaulyG. 09/12/22 04:47 PM
Jet Black
by lowebird. 09/12/22 03:01 PM
It is crowded up there
by John V6. 09/12/22 01:52 PM
Autocar YouTube
by ProfessorM. 09/12/22 01:43 PM
M3W oil pressure switch
by planenut. 09/12/22 12:02 PM
Shed Racing vid
by Luddite. 08/12/22 04:23 PM
New Morgan Pedal Car - Kettcar
by flyfisher. 08/12/22 03:42 PM
Latest Photos
Cover Girl_MOG414
Under the clouds....
Ms Marple's island/s connection...
Autumn Sunshine
Back Onshore
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics44,401
Posts750,323
Members8,159
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
346VAB, Dannywk
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New acquisition [Re: RichardV6] #741552
10/05/22 10:45 AM
10/05/22 10:45 AM
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
L

Thanks Richard, the B40 was a nice little bike indeed and even with very original tyre profiles it handled well enough for country road cruising.

In my yoof I would ride around and drive on tyres that were perhaps as old as I was and oft times on bikes the rear tyre could be oil soaked for a variety of reasons, so I guess my expectations of road-holding grew out of such experiences. When I read of tyre choice specifications for Morgans relative to fine tuning for requirements, I`m guessing folk much be much more sensitive than I might be in that regard. I may have typed before, I once put a set of performance dual compound Brigestones on my R80R and boy were they grippy and ready to change direction at the merest hint, even mid corner while well heeled over, all of which took more concentration than I was up for at that time. I was more than happy to change back to a more touring Bridgestone`s, of the type that you set up for a corner and they would happily hold that line all the way round..

Thanks for posting the pics K. I only ever rode a Harley and then only for a short distance, a very attractive machine if I remember it was an XL1000 a shovelhead perhaps, but what a tank and had to be steered. despite the XL having twin disc brakes, I felt that my B40`s drums provided more feel and stopping power..! Even though not sure if the XL designation was a forerunner to the Sportster, but in truth it was anything but sporty, all of which was emphasised as I had ridden a friends 650 Triumph on the same bit of road around the same time, whereas the Triumph seemed to just flow through the bends... I guess the Harley could have had lousy pads or the discs might have had polish on them like most else on the bike, or perhaps the head races needed a bit of attention, don`t know for sure.. All that typed, it sounded fantastic and had levels of grunt I had not experienced before, thus a bit like a Morgan compared to a P car, perhaps an acquired taste..?

Will go in search of a pic of the Harley and the Triumph, in the off chance there may be interest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BTW, I seem to have become hooked in keeping up with a pretty young Dutch lady m/cycle adventurer who is unusually courageous taking on solo m/cycle adventures in many parts of the world. I only discovered her at the start of her (current) sixth season of adventures, though will post a link to an intro to the very beginning of that season..if the first is of little interest you could forge ahead into a few further on vids some real heart in the mouth stuff there and miles from anywhere..!!!

https://youtu.be/bTnuoczs3tw

https://youtu.be/Kizd7nN8zJM

Re: New acquisition [Re: RichardV6] #741559
10/05/22 11:22 AM
10/05/22 11:22 AM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Image  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Aberdeenshire
George .... the Sportster was it's own beast ... outside the informal '....head' naming of the big twins (it was a 'unit' bike rather than the separate engine/gearbox of the big twins of the time) .... they can be tweeked to handle well and their torque and power delivery makes them much more formidable on the street than on paper.

My nephew had a bored out 1200cc Sporty that gave his fancy sportsbike riding friends a hard time blasting over the N Yorks moors 🙂

K

Re: New acquisition [Re: RichardV6] #741565
10/05/22 12:31 PM
10/05/22 12:31 PM
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
L

K thanks for the heads up, and a required refresh of my brain.

Strange as it may seem I had thought to educate myself on matters Harley in my teens when I wrote to Fred Warr the only person dealing in Harley`s in the UK that advertised in Motorcycle Mechanics at the time. I never did get round to owning a Harley at that stage in life. Many years later when I thought to become a born again biker I was once again attracted to the idea of Harley ownership and had bought every copy of HOG up until the time Harley shut them down for using Hog as the title to the mag.. In time I bought the BM instead as it was a marque I had long admired and was different from the Brit bikes I had owned...

I have a degree of experience in the unit and pre unit bias that can exist in terms of Triumph twins and bias that can surround such issues, perhaps similar to possible Trad and CX bias that may crop into discussions, if not now, in years to come..?

As for your nephew m/cycling prowess, again strange as it may seem I remember well riding my BM and easily passing a large capacity Jap sports bike on an open bend, only to to have it blow me into the weeds as it BLASTED back past me a few miles further on when the road straightened out a bit... I suspect it may have been ridden by a new to biking mature rider... (-: Yeah for sure riding skill levels are infinitely variable as are the skill levels of those who modify machines to improve their performance in every area..

I can also relate to the difference between family ownership and that of a conglomerate in terms of my P car experiences... As for Harley as it became, when the name was branded on aftershave and so much else by the company, a time when bad-ass dentists and lawyers had to collect all the stuff...Hmm..? It seemed that poor brake performance and other such issues might have been engineered in to facilitate the sale of Screaming Eagle kit that Harley marketed ...? But then If I remember correctly Morgan perhaps followed a similar path, all be it to a much lesser extent, by seeking to protect their brand name and the even outline of the marque. A Morgan watch and other products may be available... Yeah I guess it`s all just part of evolutionary processes in marketing..?

I would still rather like to have a very early Harley, or Manx Norton AJS 7R or similar sitting in my garage.... love

Re: New acquisition [Re: Graham, G4FUJ] #741571
10/05/22 12:58 PM
10/05/22 12:58 PM
Solihull
Spanner Juggler Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Spanner Juggler  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Solihull
Originally Posted by TBM
Used to have a AMF SS125 - lovely bit of kit. As said, big bike for a little one.

Didn't use her much, but had fun winding up Harley owners when I'd turn up to one of local Poker runs. Some are a bit sniffy about the AMF years.

Swapped her for severall hours of tattooing. smile

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
Originally Posted by RichardV6

[Linked Image]

Very nice Richard! thumbs
And just behind it in your photo is a Guzzi California that I always dreamed of owning smile

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
Originally Posted by RichardV6

[Linked Image]

Very nice Richard! thumbs
And just behind it in your photo is a Guzzi California that I always dreamed of owning smile

Graham

Your mention of a Guzzi California takes me back to an encounter in Spain. I was with my biking buddy, both of us on HD’s, sat in a hotel bar when a chap asked if he could join us for a beer. He was German and riding a California, great big chap with a beard you would have enjoyed. Great company and he joined us for dinner. He explained he was his wife’s full time carer and this was his 2 week break, she doesn’t moan too much if I go biking that’s the deal he laughed. He rode with us the following day as we headed for France until he swung off towards Italy. I remember he looked a grand sight, Guzzi thumping away as he puffed on his Sherlock Holmes style pipe whilst riding….. grand day out!

BR
Colin

BR Colin
Who used to be a Spanner Juggler
Re: New acquisition [Re: Image] #741572
10/05/22 01:01 PM
10/05/22 01:01 PM
East Harling, Norfolk UK
RichardV6 Offline OP
Charter Member
RichardV6  Offline OP
Charter Member

East Harling, Norfolk UK
Originally Posted by Image
Richard ... by way of penance for drifting your thread .... here's a pic of a racing pal of mine (usually found in a very rapid single-seater) just about to launch his Guzzi Airone up the hillclimb at Shelsley Walsh a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]

Stock photo nicked off the web I'm afraid ... I was racing elsewhere that weekend

K

Thanks Keith and quite an early model judging by the tubular girder forks, possibly one of the first when production started in 1939, since the stamped steel girder forks as on mine were introduced in 1940. It certainly has external valve gear as far as I can see, again like mine.

Whatever, it must have had a fair degree of tuning to get up any hill innocent

Richard

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1966 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1945 Moto Guzzi Airone
Re: New acquisition [Re: RichardV6] #741574
10/05/22 01:12 PM
10/05/22 01:12 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Image  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Aberdeenshire
Richard ... not sure if you do facebook but here's a wee vid he posted of the day ... thing's no slouch

https://fb.watch/cW7v4Sb2MC/

Maybe someone with better skills can make it watchable direct from here

K

Re: New acquisition [Re: Image] #741575
10/05/22 01:30 PM
10/05/22 01:30 PM
East Harling, Norfolk UK
RichardV6 Offline OP
Charter Member
RichardV6  Offline OP
Charter Member

East Harling, Norfolk UK
Originally Posted by Image
Richard ... not sure if you do facebook but here's a wee vid he posted of the day ... thing's no slouch

https://fb.watch/cW7v4Sb2MC/

Maybe someone with better skills can make it watchable direct from here

K

No longer on Faceache but managed the video ok. Thanks Keith.

Looks to have had a fair degree of customising/tuning as suspected wink

Richard

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1966 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1945 Moto Guzzi Airone
Re: New acquisition [Re: RichardV6] #741578
10/05/22 01:37 PM
10/05/22 01:37 PM
L
Luddite Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Luddite  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
L

Hi Colin I hope you are doing OK chum.. I did wonder if all this bike chat would draw you in... laugh2

Re: New acquisition [Re: RichardV6] #741579
10/05/22 01:48 PM
10/05/22 01:48 PM
Lytham St Annes, Lancashire
J
JohnHarris Offline
Has a lot to Say!
JohnHarris  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
J

Lytham St Annes, Lancashire
One has to view what Harleys were designed for especially the big twins and their natural operating environment.....ie covering vast miles on open mainly straight highways with few bends or a need to brake sharply. Hence the USA U shaped hard tyres were needed to cover vast mileages on mainly 55 mph speed limits where there are no helmet laws. Where as the softer V shaped European tyres would wear out their centre section in no time at all on the US highways. As some of my friends found out when we took our Harleys back to the US and rode them across the US, in its original configuration it made absolute sense. Whilst a disappointment on the twisty European roads unless you junked the tyres, brake shoes, rejetted the carb and ditched the silencer. As they say horses for courses!

John
2008 Roadster 4 seater FELIX
prev 2006 4/4 70th LOKI
prev 1977 4/4 SEAMUS
prev 1985 4/4 MOLLY
Re: New acquisition [Re: RichardV6] #741580
10/05/22 01:59 PM
10/05/22 01:59 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Image  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Aberdeenshire
John ... your last sentence is the Bobber/Chopper* movement right there .... when the fast and nimble Brit bikes came on the scene Harley riders stripped off all the excess touring weight and cut everything back to a minimum to improve the road dynamics and power to weight ratio in an attempt to keep up.... the US equivalent of a Cafe Racer.

K

* Chopper in it's early days before the baroque works of art on wheels from the West Coast hit the roads

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  TalkMorgan