Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Taffmog), 43 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
OZ 4/4 130
John V6 123
+8Rich 121
CooperMan 118
Luddite 106
Newest Members
JJD1776, Newboy, Tractor Driver, Phil Bordeaux, Slushymud
8127 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Thomas the Tank
by +8Rich. 03/10/22 06:10 PM
4/4 road holding
by The Austrian. 03/10/22 02:49 PM
tm-img.com Sheduled Maintenance
by Image Library. 02/10/22 06:28 PM
Toys box
by atalante83. 01/10/22 05:46 AM
One for the artists? - a visual feast
by Bonesie. 01/10/22 05:13 AM
Latest Photos
Back Onshore
Citroens in Amsterdam
MORGAN SUPER 3 SUPER CLASSIC
Mirror
Fun in the Sun
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics44,109
Posts743,766
Members8,127
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
LE52MOG, terry1956
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ireland Scotland Trip #751453
09/08/22 04:25 PM
09/08/22 04:25 PM
Mandello del Lario
Gambalunga Offline OP
Member of the Inner Circle
Gambalunga  Offline OP
Member of the Inner Circle

Mandello del Lario
Alis and I are planning a trip with the Morgan to Ireland for about one week from the 3rd of May 2023. We arrive, all being well, at Cork at 9:30 in the morning. Our Idea for this trip is to stay in one central location and make day trips from there. This saves packing and unpacking every day smile

For our Irish members I would appreciate any suggestions as to where might be a reasonable town or region that would be suitable to our concept, keeping in mind the Idea of day trips to visit various places. We are planning on staying in a small apartment or something similar and, of course, with safe parking for the Morgan.

Any ideas of places that must not be missed would certainly be appreciated too.

At the moment we are planning to take a ferry from Belfast to Scotland at the end of the week. Probably on the afternoon of the 11th of May. We then plan about a week in Scotland, again making day trips, and then wending our way south via the Lakes District and then on home.

Peter

[Linked Image]
Re: Ireland Scotland Trip [Re: Gambalunga] #751457
09/08/22 05:33 PM
09/08/22 05:33 PM
TheCustomer Offline
Has a lot to Say!
TheCustomer  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

May is before the busy tourist season in Scotland, so you wouldn't need to head to the Highlands. There's delightful driving in the Trossachs, and staying anywhere between Aberfoyle in the west to Dunblane in the east (& villages between) would put day trips to Edinburgh & Glasgow just about within reach, and a lot of day trips over nice old roads - eg Inversnaid, Loch Katrine, Callendar, Perth & so on.

Will

Last edited by TheCustomer; 09/08/22 05:33 PM.

Aero 8 S5
BMW i8 Coupe
Re: Ireland Scotland Trip [Re: Gambalunga] #751463
09/08/22 06:23 PM
09/08/22 06:23 PM
Seamill, Ayrshire
M
Max5 Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Max5  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
M

Seamill, Ayrshire
Peter - since you appear to be arriving in Scotland through Cairnryan, take a look at the SW Coastal 300. Dumfries and Galloway is one of the best kept secrets in Scotland and you would be in easy striking distance of the Lake District for when you want to head south.

Re: Ireland Scotland Trip [Re: Gambalunga] #751467
09/08/22 07:40 PM
09/08/22 07:40 PM
Hampton Hill, Middx.
DavidR Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
DavidR  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Hampton Hill, Middx.
Sounds a wonderful trip Peter. I agree with Max, Dumfries and Galloway have some amazing empty roads, we spent some time there early in June. I think the ferry from Belfast docks at Cairnryan, just north of Stranraer. Logan Gardens south of Stranraer and Portpatrick are both worth a drive to visit, as is Culzean Castle north up the coast. You'll just have to hold your nose as you pass through Trump Turnberry!! innocent

If going to Edinburgh and you haven't already visited, the Royal Yacht Britannia is well worth a trip with free parking next door too.

David
Aero S4
Re: Ireland Scotland Trip [Re: Gambalunga] #751469
09/08/22 07:44 PM
09/08/22 07:44 PM
Co Wexford, Ireland
Robbie Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
Robbie  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Co Wexford, Ireland
Peter,
The centre of Ireland is not tremendously interesting - if you want to stay in one place I would suggest you stay in Galway so as to take in the Burren in Clare and Connemara in Co Galway - you could then head to Derry and take in co Donegal heading then over the north coast to Belfast.
Another idea would be to take the Wild Atlantic Way from Kinsale just outside Cork and just wend your way through Cork Kerry and Clare up to Galway -google “Wild Atlantic Way” and you’ll get the details.
The South and West coasts are very pretty as is the north coast route from Derry to Belfast along the coast - the glens of Antrim are really nice.

Cheers!

Robbie
2021 Plus Four -- Helga
211-WX-1433

"Fettlebodge"--A chief of the PaddyMogs
Re: Ireland Scotland Trip [Re: Gambalunga] #751502
10/08/22 07:01 AM
10/08/22 07:01 AM
East Harling, Norfolk UK
RichardV6 Offline
Charter Member
RichardV6  Offline
Charter Member

East Harling, Norfolk UK
I have visited southern a Ireland many times Peter starting with a motorcycle tour in the mid 70's. The most memorable area was the southwest, Bantry Bay in County Cork staying at Glengariff. Rowing across to the beautiful gardens on Garinish Island. Following the coast road west out of Bantry Bay to the tip of peninsula at Inchinaleega, looking out to nearby island. Passing through Castletownbere where every property is washed in a different colour and you could buy groceries and have a pint in the same dwelling.

Then heading north through what appears to be a mini alpine pass exploring the other peninsula's then further north to Killarney, another good base, and the ring of Kerry. Further north still to the cliffs of Moher looking out to the Inish islands and. Finally the lunar landscape of Connemara seeing seaweed collected by horse and cart and Clifden where the Wright brothers landed after first transatlantic crossing. That far north might be a tad ambitious though.

Richard

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1966 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1945 Moto Guzzi Airone
Re: Ireland Scotland Trip [Re: Gambalunga] #751505
10/08/22 07:25 AM
10/08/22 07:25 AM
Lytham St Annes, Lancashire
J
JohnHarris Offline
Has a lot to Say!
JohnHarris  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
J

Lytham St Annes, Lancashire
I've just done a quick tour of the island of Ireland starting with Belfast up the Antrim Coast to Giant's Causeway then across to Derry (Donegal is a nice extension to the trip)then to Enniskillen,(Loch Erne) across to Clifden,( you can then follow the coast down to Killarney and across to Cork which absolutely beautiful and very changing scenery, as Peter and Robbie described) I then travelled from Clifden to Wicklow then stayed in Dublin. A trip to Ireland wouldn't be complete without considering visiting Cork, Dublin and Belfast for the craic. Lets not forget Dublin Bay seen from Dalkey (the Obama's visited Finnegan’s pub my former local) and Killiney has been compared to the Bay of Naples. I would consider staying at two locations in Ireland to cut the journey times down, whilst there are motorways and the distances are not that great, the winding country roads whilst thru spectacular scenery can take far longer to travel than you might first imagine. The further west and north you go (other than on known tourist haunts like doing the ring of Kerry) the traffic levels are very light by comparison with the east coast. Weather is not always favourable on the west coast as there is nothing between you and continental USA, but when the sun shines it is without question breathtakingly beautiful and quite diverse from the lush countryside of Claire, contrasting with the Burren and the wild ruggedness of Connemara where the grass needs to be nailed down to take root.

Last edited by JohnHarris; 10/08/22 08:11 AM.

John
2008 Roadster 4 seater FELIX
prev 2006 4/4 70th LOKI
prev 1977 4/4 SEAMUS
prev 1985 4/4 MOLLY

Moderated by  TalkMorgan