Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (JoeSpeetjens, 1955er, Taffmog), 47 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
OZ 4/4 130
John V6 123
+8Rich 121
CooperMan 118
Luddite 106
Newest Members
JJD1776, Newboy, Tractor Driver, Phil Bordeaux, Slushymud
8127 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Thomas the Tank
by +8Rich. 03/10/22 06:10 PM
4/4 road holding
by The Austrian. 03/10/22 02:49 PM
tm-img.com Sheduled Maintenance
by Image Library. 02/10/22 06:28 PM
Toys box
by atalante83. 01/10/22 05:46 AM
One for the artists? - a visual feast
by Bonesie. 01/10/22 05:13 AM
Latest Photos
Back Onshore
Citroens in Amsterdam
MORGAN SUPER 3 SUPER CLASSIC
Mirror
Fun in the Sun
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics44,109
Posts743,766
Members8,127
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
LE52MOG, terry1956
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Morgan experience..! #751823
12/08/22 01:58 PM
12/08/22 01:58 PM
L
Luddite Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert
Luddite  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert
L

A bit of a ramble... hide oldgit

Having read a bit under the heading of "The Boxter Experience" I thought to add another thread relative to Morgan experience, feel free to add to that or not as you might care to relative to why you choose a Morgan..?

My reading of the thinking of others comparing Porsche cars to Morgans recently caused me to dig into my failing memory banks as one who in the past appreciated air-cooled Porsches for a decade or more of hands-on experience of the marque before other of life`s priorities put motoring priorities on the back burner. Now some 30 years on having left air-cooled Porsches as mere memories, I have returned to Porsche ownership in the shape of a 991.1 which I have owned for a year. The decades in between my air and water cooled Porsche ownership was filled by a few years of born again biking in the form of a R80R, up untill my maturing legs would begin to partially seize after a few hours or so riding in Scottish Winters. In the search of warmer legs while still wishing to feel very involved in the process of progress on B roads, the ideal machine was thought to be found in the form of a Morgan, though which Morgan..?

Fortunately for me the interweb had come into being for home use and the MSCC DG appeared as if by magic, a wonderful source of Morgan info given freely by those who inhabited the forum, thus I asked the question of "Which Morgan" having supplied a resume of my automotive experience and preferences... The GoMoG webmaster was the most influential in causing me to become the proud owner of a nut and bolt (Y2K ish) restoration of a circa 8k mile barn find +8 ....Thus began my up till now 20 year ownership and enjoyment of a mid 80`s carb fed and cat free no fuss Morgan.

No fuss..? Well nothing I could not sort myself while covering a few thousand miles of Southern European touring in HOT weather on occasion...One fan belt replaced which I picked up on morning checks in France, having given the old thing a bit of stick while proving to a 930 turbo acquaintance that he was perhaps not the fastest thing on an interesting few miles of French Tarmac... The only other issue was a original pre formed rubber fuel elbow cracking which fed one of the Strombergs, Yeah I should have replaced it before it failed had I noticed the rubber had hardened... The maintenance issues other than an oil pressure switch and intermittent starter motor relay operation, were again rubber related, in the form of the front calliper dust seals failing, and a hole in one of the rubber diaphragms in the Carbs, though no complaints on that front after 15 years or so since their last overhaul, and with the carbs in bits It seemed wise to buy an overhaul kit and perform a tad more preventative maintenance on them.

Having been fortunate enough to come to own a Morgan which had been stripped down and rebuilt by a Morgan enthusiast and garage proprietor who was well aware of the usual foibles and who set out to to create his idea of a perfect Morgan for touring... no doubt added considerably to my whole Morgan ownership experience to date.

Again on a personal level while getting and out of the Mog is fortunately still doable without too much fuss, as that which ended my m/cycling, the cold gets to me, and I dislike running with side screens or hood in position, which kinda explains my return to Porsche to extend my sports car enjoyment... Sports car, a 991..! Well more a GT (in the true sense) than a real sports car, thus the aforementioned Boxter seems to better fit better a modern representation of that which a real sports car might be to be compared with a CX Morgan..?

It seems obvious that the MMC had to evolve as supplies of the mechanical parts moved with the times, thus seemingly forcing change at the MMC..? It also seems that the MMC did not manage to fit into the modern world of sports car manufacturing when they tried out a glass-fibre as an alternative method of body construction, then retreated to the designs and methods that they knew best, fortunately there was still a customer base for their very special kind of old but new sports car, which it seems the US buyers were keen on and perhaps kept up orders enough to maintain production of the Trad.

A lot of my Morgan enjoyment has been armchair Morganeering as provided by those who took the time to set-up and manage the internet forums that have come and gone over the years, and added greatly to my education relative to the evolution of the expectations of Morgan owners and much else, from the make do and mend attitude, perhaps born of the war years and remained to be part of the formative years of the Baby Boomer generation (BB`s) such as I..? Thus it seems many Morganeers were well used to using a few tools and becoming acquainted with foible resolving, which for some was considered to be part of the fun..?

As ever there were those who wished to take things a bit further than repairing or restoring and as the result of the Vintage design and construction of a Morgan it seemed a relatively simple matter to "improve" on the design to some degree, more usually in earlier times by way of increasing engine performance followed by shocker choices, upgrades to cooling system,brakes and exhaust, which seems familiar even today.. (-: In time and as s disposable income rose in the UK, BB`s acquired ever more sophisticated expectations as Morgans more became second or third cars at a time when everyday vehicles had evolved to provide ever more by way of automation and increased comforts, causing those modern-day expectations to be logically compared to that which might be found in Morgans, or perhaps more correctly not found in Morgans...?

As the BB`s aged and with ever increasing expectations of comfort as might be found in (as an example) Porsches of a similar date of manufacture, it seems the MMC were being compared with design and construction methods which had advanced with each and every modern-day rule regulation and engineering efficiency discovered... Whereas it seems Morgan preferred to advance to match the ever evolving regs as best they could while still preserving as much of the vintage sports car appearance, experience and driving involvement as possible, which had suited my ideals perfectly when I was in search of pseudo vintage sports car enjoyment....I suspect it must have been a rather difficult task for the MMC to try to achieve a reasonable balance between vintage and the evolving expectations of the customer base..?

I guess it was obvious that the vintage aspects of the chassis and suspension design were the real limiting factors in terms of satisfying BB`s increased expectations, thus the CX became the much required re-design to suit those increased desires and perhaps more suitable for stiffening bones and possible weight gain... (-: With plush trim levels and enough bling to satisfy the BB`s while still looking very much like a Morgan should, long gone the hand formed wings and wooden framework rooted in the time of horse drawn coachwork craftsmanship. It is indeed a pity that incorporating the very necessary digital technology to Morgans seems to have caused occasional hi-tec foibles, that are perhaps less easy to resolve, given their degree of complexity which seem to create real issues, not only for the MMC and it`s agents to resolve... Porsche and many other manufacturers have been known to have issues too...?

I suspect there may be no other "modern" sports car that can service the mix of ancient and modern desires of the BB`s and those younger folk with pseudo vintage interests that may be a tad less desirous of the degree of handcrafted and coachbuilt skills that impressed me so much, but then relativity and age plays it`s part in the evolution of much, including the thinking of individuals..?

For my personal needs my current pairing works well enough though with less and less use it is more the memory of past Morgan adventures and the history, heritage, work of art that is it`s dated body design and the craftsmanship involved in it`s creation, that has created and maintained the all important emotional involvement with the machine.

Yeah I had created quite a few Porsche memories too, enough for me to decide that it had to be a Porsche to extend my "sports car" driving all be it built by robots and digitally controlled to an extent beyond my understanding but none the less a work of art in it`s wonderfully curvaceous bodywork and oozing quality, though not without small areas which could be improved upon and not being a soft top equates to it being unable to provide aspects enough to make it comparable to that which my Morgan can still do on a balmy Summers day.... (-: Were my Porsche a Boxter, then it might be more difficult to try to justify keeping the Morgan on purely financial terms... Hmm..?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Luddite; 12/08/22 05:23 PM. Reason: Duh..!
Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: Luddite] #751843
12/08/22 04:06 PM
12/08/22 04:06 PM
A
AndyrIch Offline
L - Learner Plates On
AndyrIch  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
A

What a beautiful pair, for me that would be an almost perfect pairing. A fun car for when you are in mood / the weather is right & a practical sensible GT for all other times.

I have been looking to change my Plus 4 for either a Four or Six, but the brake problems have to a certain extent put me off. When you look at the price of an early 991 + the value of my +4 added together its not much different to the cost of a Six.

I might have to wait until the Mrs isn't looking & sneak a 991 into the garage. Add a bit of Man maths & I might persuade her that adding a Porsche will save me some money!

Last edited by AndyrIch; 12/08/22 04:07 PM.
Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: AndyrIch] #751844
12/08/22 04:37 PM
12/08/22 04:37 PM
Evergreen, Colorado, USA
britmog Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
britmog  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Evergreen, Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by AndyrIch
What a beautiful pair, for me that would be an almost perfect pairing.

I remember saying that once and getting slapped oops wink pantsdown

Bruce
1964 4/4 Series V Comp (Megan)
1994 +8 (Maurice)
2013 M3W (Olga)
Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: Luddite] #751906
13/08/22 06:57 AM
13/08/22 06:57 AM
L
Luddite Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert
Luddite  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert
L

Andyrich, if buying a 991 at any time and perhaps not from an official dealership, be sure to have it put through the 111 point checklist at an official Porsche dealership with a view to having it then accepted on to their insurance based extended warranty scheme which extends to vehicles up to circa 15years or 140k miles. Buying "old" sports cars can be a risky business, and Porsche seem expensive to repair..?

Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: Luddite] #751923
13/08/22 09:13 AM
13/08/22 09:13 AM
Lytham St Annes, Lancashire
J
JohnHarris Offline
Has a lot to Say!
JohnHarris  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
J

This has always been my ideal Porsche, a 930 Turbo Cabriolet, still relatively quick, great looking car, mind you I did bling it a bit with the alloys and put on a number plate FYA for Feck You All.

Sadly gone now as I was going to lose my licence with it. Fastest I've ever been roof down (open to the elements) in a car at an indicated 165mph and still accelerating till I chickened out. I didn't need any other open car when I had it, it's classic looks and dated driving style was more than enough to satisfy your driving needs..............it was far too fast (for its time and modern Porsches will out perform it) but you could only savour its true abilities at highly illegal speeds, with no driving aids like traction control. a truly raw engaging drive that always had a sting in its tail. Every garage should have one, missed but not forgotten.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As a result of tread drift added my Morgan Roadster 4 seater

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JohnHarris; 13/08/22 11:46 AM.

John
2008 Roadster 4 seater FELIX
prev 2006 4/4 70th LOKI
prev 1977 4/4 SEAMUS
prev 1985 4/4 MOLLY
Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: Luddite] #751929
13/08/22 09:33 AM
13/08/22 09:33 AM
Hampshire
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Alistair  Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Needs to Get Out More!

Hampshire
Lovely colour and nice alloys, many at the time were gaudy.

I had a go in a 930 turbo (hardtop) and it scared the furry bits out of me. As you say an accident/ticket/brown moment just waiting to happen, especially on a wet road. It put me off 911's for quite some time. Having said that the feeling of the car going down the road, the old fashioned but wonderful interior and noise of the door closing was sublime.

Last edited by Alistair; 13/08/22 09:34 AM.

Everyone loves a Morgan. Even me, unless it's broken again.
Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: Luddite] #751944
13/08/22 10:37 AM
13/08/22 10:37 AM
J
JohnHarris Offline
Has a lot to Say!
JohnHarris  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
J

Mine (when I bought it ) had a larger intercooler and bigger turbo etc and produced about 400bhp compared with the standard 300bhp, whilst quite docile in traffic certainly had a snappy edge to it, especially in the wet and sometimes could catch you out in the dry. I had it detuned to make it more manageable, still went like a 'scolded cat' when encouraged, and it always begged to be encouraged. No where near as heavy as the modern Porsches but had started to move away from the pure lightness of design and with the then obligatory air conditioning, electric memory seats, I think mine also had cruise control. Mine was one of the very last 4 speeders, for the final year of production in 1989 they introduced the 5 speed G50 gearbox, a massive improvement and I think Porsche uplifted it to 330bhp. The very rare '89 5 speed 930's are the ones to buy especially the cabriolet version as I think they only made 5 in RHD.

Last edited by JohnHarris; 13/08/22 10:45 AM.

John
prev 2006 4/4 70th LOKI
prev 1977 4/4 SEAMUS
prev 1985 4/4 MOLLY
Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: Luddite] #751947
13/08/22 10:51 AM
13/08/22 10:51 AM
Salisbury, UK
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Peter J  Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Salisbury, UK
Looking at the OP's photo it brings home just how cars have gtown, the +8 looks positively miniscule!
I suspect that the Boxster and Plus 8 will be a sell matched pair, but for now the Boxter is meeting my need for open top motoring, whilst the Malvern Magicians try to work out the cause of the brake light problem..

Peter,
66, 2016 Porsche Boxster S
Tarka, 2014 Plus 8....Back on the Road Again!!

Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: Luddite] #751950
13/08/22 10:57 AM
13/08/22 10:57 AM
A
AndyrIch Offline
L - Learner Plates On
AndyrIch  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
A

Originally Posted by Luddite
Andyrich, if buying a 991 at any time and perhaps not from an official dealership, be sure to have it put through the 111 point checklist at an official Porsche dealership with a view to having it then accepted on to their insurance based extended warranty scheme which extends to vehicles up to circa 15years or 140k miles. Buying "old" sports cars can be a risky business, and Porsche seem expensive to repair..?

I certainly would be doing that. Trouble is from my dealings with them the main dealers appear to be the biggest crooks. My 1989 911 SuperSport when it went for its first service in my ownership in about 1994, 5K miles and only 6 weeks after purchase from a main dealer resulted in a list of just over £12k of recommended work. That resulted in an interesting conversation.

The best one that I bought was a 964 from a dodgy dealer with just 8000 miles on the clock and 8 owners at 5 years old. I paid £18k, got in touch with the previous owner - it turned out he had registered it in his company name, his name, number plate change, swapped to his wife, back to him etc. He had been the sole driver & everything on the car was 100% perfect. I did 65,000 miles in 2 years in it and sold it for £18k. It's the one that I really regret getting rid of, the 964 for me hits the sweet spot, air-cooled engine + working air conditioning is a nice combination coupled with enough power to be quick without being stupid.

Last edited by AndyrIch; 13/08/22 10:58 AM.
Re: The Morgan experience..! [Re: AndyrIch] #751954
13/08/22 11:16 AM
13/08/22 11:16 AM
J
JohnHarris Offline
Has a lot to Say!
JohnHarris  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
J

Originally Posted by AndyrIch
. It's the one that I really regret getting rid of, the 964 for me hits the sweet spot, air-cooled engine + working air conditioning is a nice combination coupled with enough power to be quick without being stupid.

Working air conditioning on the air cooled Porsche, now that was a really rare event, the 964's like the 993's are really great cars! Probably a 993 Targa would be a really nice addition to the garage. The super sport had the looks and handling without too much of the unwanted drama.

Last edited by JohnHarris; 13/08/22 11:21 AM.

John
prev 2006 4/4 70th LOKI
prev 1977 4/4 SEAMUS
prev 1985 4/4 MOLLY
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  TalkMorgan