Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Barkbark, CraigL), 51 guests, and 35 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 149
John V6 136
OZ 4/4 121
Alistair 104
Newest Members
05 Roadster, John Tromans, Factotum, Dave Jones, Fester
8159 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Spark Plug Wires
by PaulyG. 09/12/22 04:47 PM
Jet Black
by lowebird. 09/12/22 03:01 PM
It is crowded up there
by John V6. 09/12/22 01:52 PM
Autocar YouTube
by ProfessorM. 09/12/22 01:43 PM
M3W oil pressure switch
by planenut. 09/12/22 12:02 PM
Shed Racing vid
by Luddite. 08/12/22 04:23 PM
New Morgan Pedal Car - Kettcar
by flyfisher. 08/12/22 03:42 PM
Latest Photos
Cover Girl_MOG414
Under the clouds....
Ms Marple's island/s connection...
Autumn Sunshine
Back Onshore
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics44,401
Posts750,323
Members8,159
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
346VAB, Dannywk
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 71 of 81 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 80 81
Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: Heinz] #754139
01/09/22 12:30 PM
01/09/22 12:30 PM
Lytham St Annes, Lancashire
J
JohnHarris Offline
Has a lot to Say!
JohnHarris  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
J

Lytham St Annes, Lancashire
Originally Posted by Heinz
John, can the driving experience also have something to do with the weight of the engine and the tyre size? A narrow 165/80/15 has a noticeable suspension bounce. When the chassis was designed the cars were even lighter than a 4/4 today.
I see in your template that you have had three 4/4s and now the second Roadster. I have had three roadsters, a Plus 4 SS and now for eight years the first 4/4. I am perfectly happy with the way my 4/4 drives, but for me it is always a wild ride in the countryside when possible, far from modern. That's why it never occurs to me to compare my 4/4 with anything modern. And we take a trip to Italy or Austria every year with the car, which works well.

But I must add an observation. During 2020 and 2021 in the Covid period, we drove much less than usual. This year we went to Italy in May, after a long standstill. I have to admit that the second day of Monks' trip to Italy was fantastic. But the first day from Cologne to Munich took a lot of getting used to. On the first day I noticed the shaking, rattling, bumping and jolting much more than normal, on the verge of annoying disturbance. On the second day I was...after the longer break, at one with the 4/4 again.

Sorry for the thread drift which had arisen from the topic that I am actually an advocate of the CX for the new generation and also for anyone of any age who likes it.

Heinz,

Absolutely on the button, the low profile tyres plus weight of the engine has compromised the ride, if I can get a front wishbone system fitted, I would do so. I don't mind the scuttle shake, you get that in the best of convertibles I think my earlier 4/4's had a more compliant softer ride and handled undulating roads much better.

The CX proved to me what Morgan were capable of achieving and conversely how little Morgan had invested in the trad Morgan to upgrade its suspension underpinning to cope more adequately with the increase weight, power and lower profile tyres being used.

Apologises for drift but an interesting exchange.

Last edited by JohnHarris; 01/09/22 01:28 PM.

John
2008 Roadster 4 seater FELIX
prev 2006 4/4 70th LOKI
prev 1977 4/4 SEAMUS
prev 1985 4/4 MOLLY
Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: Clipper] #754181
01/09/22 07:06 PM
01/09/22 07:06 PM
NickB54 Offline
New to Talk Morgan
NickB54  Offline
New to Talk Morgan

I do believe this topic has gone off piste.

I collected my PlusSix today from Allon White, super job thank you, and there was no noticeable difference in the brakes, good fell not too much travel and they work, new master cylinder fitted and swirl pot. When asking if springs had been changed I was met with puzzlement. Has everyone had this part of the master cylinder recall carried out or was it specific vehicles?

Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: Clipper] #754189
01/09/22 08:00 PM
01/09/22 08:00 PM
Northern Capital of Cool
CooperMan Offline
Just barreling along
CooperMan  Offline
Just barreling along
Charter Member

Northern Capital of Cool
I was chatting to a chap in Wales this morning who was getting into a '22 reg Plus Four, he asked some relevant questions about my Roadster, so of course I asked about brakes, radiators, swirlpots...bla bla, he just shrugged his shoulders and said "we've only hired it for a couple of days" laugh2

Jon M
Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: CooperMan] #754193
01/09/22 08:30 PM
01/09/22 08:30 PM
East Harling, Norfolk UK
RichardV6 Offline
Charter Member
RichardV6  Offline
Charter Member

East Harling, Norfolk UK
Originally Posted by CooperMan
I was chatting to a chap in Wales this morning who was getting into a '22 reg Plus Four, he asked some relevant questions about my Roadster, so of course I asked about brakes, radiators, swirlpots...bla bla, he just shrugged his shoulders and said "we've only hired it for a couple of days" laugh2

Fingers crossed then innocent

Richard

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1966 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1945 Moto Guzzi Airone
Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: Clipper] #754277
02/09/22 07:27 PM
02/09/22 07:27 PM
Perthshire & Kent
F
flyfisher Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
flyfisher  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
F

Perthshire & Kent
Does anyone know what happened to the 2023 MY updates that was due to be announced, have they just been delayed due to the brake issues

Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: flyfisher] #754295
02/09/22 09:45 PM
02/09/22 09:45 PM
Northern Capital of Cool
CooperMan Offline
Just barreling along
CooperMan  Offline
Just barreling along
Charter Member

Northern Capital of Cool
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Does anyone know what happened to the 2023 MY updates that was due to be announced, have they just been delayed due to the brake issues

They were supposed to kick in on new builds from after the summer shut down, but still not seen it officially announced

Jon M
Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: bmgermany] #754342
03/09/22 01:24 PM
03/09/22 01:24 PM
Bergisches Land (near Cologne)
Jens Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Jens  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Bergisches Land (near Cologne)
Originally Posted by bmgermany
Originally Posted by DalesPlusFour
“It’s like camping on wheels, except your tent isn’t very waterproof.”

The question is how many "younger people" are interested on such expensive camping and how many younger people are able and interested to afford such an expensive car with "such unusual features" as a second car.

This is true for the CX Morgan, but not for the trad 4/4. Since you would find between 20,000 - 30,000 euros a very nice used car. Many people spend this sum on a motorcycle. Where we are with motorcycles, in the motorcycle scene there are the "Hipsters". Stylish young peoples wearing retro clothes and riding old or retro motorcycles. I am surprised that these young people have not yet discovered the used Morgan.

2003 Morgan 4/4 2-seater

Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: Clipper] #754814
07/09/22 08:34 AM
07/09/22 08:34 AM
tervuren belgium
T
thierry242 Offline
Learner Plates Off!
thierry242  Offline
Learner Plates Off!
T

tervuren belgium
After two weeks , i find the brakes better , i feel more confident with the car.

Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: Luddite] #754849
07/09/22 01:45 PM
07/09/22 01:45 PM
H
Haytop Offline
New to Talk Morgan
Haytop  Offline
New to Talk Morgan
H

Many of you will have seen the update of the Chairman of the MCDC in the September edition of Miscellany (page 11).

It is pleasing that the MMC have deigned to respond to some of the concerns of CX purchasers passed of purchasers of CX cars and “Morgan” dealers after a further approach by the Chairman and others. The management of MMC must have been aware of such concerns for some time but in the changed circumstances this posting is less critical than otherwise it would have been.

Before reading this article I had completed a draft posting which began as follows;-

“I refer to my earlier postings in particular that appearing 8th July 2022). Since then I have held my peace notwithstanding that it appears that the management of MMC seem determined to compete for something like a Gerald Ratner award for appalling lack of respect to customers and conduct causing damage to the reputation of products supplied to and offered to the public. We all know what happened to the share value of Gerald Ratner’s eponymous jewellery business and the realisable value of his products but more importantly to the reputation of the business.”

Hopefully MMC are now and will be adopting a more sensible and realistic approach

I say (but it is a matter for you) that there were always three glaring omissions:-

• Failure to communicate with realistic regularity a time estimate as to when the remedial work would be done;
• Failure to explain that the Mercedes recall related to a different defect caused by corrosion to either the metal casing and/or bracket to a brake master cylinder (not the rubber seals); and
• Failure to notify that the risk of conviction for dangerous driving if the CX vehicle was used (in my view a probability depending on the individual circumstances).

I am not a young man as described in some of the posts. In my youth I owned sports cars but graduated to more traditional sedate cars to cater for family needs. After retirement I carefully considered buying a used Morgan but was dissuaded by the fact that I am not an engineer of any skill. My thinking was that if I had a Morgan it would end up in bits/unroadworthy in the garage at the back of my house. When the new CX PlusFour was reviewed I saw the opportunity to purchase a “real car” which I would enjoy and appreciate. The joy and appreciation of driving the PlusFour before the 8th June was unconfined. As I understand the general tenor of many of the posts in this thread there are many like me and like me they feel badly “let down” not by the car but by MMC in its dealing with the situation that has arisen (not least my PlusFour being in the garage unroadworthy for 3 months during the Summer).

I have been heartened by the posts emails relating to the fitting of a replacement master brake cylinders and swill pots on CX vehicles after a long wait and “hiccups” without any attempt by MMC to provide a steady stream of information of events and progress as concern increased and was expressed. It is apparently the case that there are three types of “remedial kits” supplied to dealers for fitting, viz one for Plus 6, one for Plusfour manual gearbox and one for Plusfour automatics. This should have been explained long ago together with the reason why some models had to be modified at the factory in Malvern.

Some particular matters are still outstanding and I identify four (this is not a complete list) as follows:-

1. The failure to outline proposals to remedy the apparent defects relating to the suspension of the Plus 6 or alternatively why there are no such proposals;
2. The failure to explain in clear terms the proposed extended warranty (including details of what it is intended to relate – the car or specific items including the radiator whether or not a new one is fitted). I would suggest that at the very least any new warranty should cover the whole of the cooling system (including the radiator whether replaced or not because I understand that the reason for the failure of radiators in some cars but not in others has not been resolved) and the master cylinder with associated replacement pipes and cable for a period of two years. As to the remainder of the vehicle the provisions of the warranty for a further period of 3 months from the date of fitting of the kits might be a bonus;
3. The question of compensation for loss of use/amenity/inconvenience (which I for my part do not intend to press if the warranty position is “sorted^);
4. The proving that particular CX models are no longer subject to the recall:

As to the course of events since the 8th June I (speaking personally but it is a matter for those reading this post) do not accept that the involvement of ”legal bodies and authorities” and “the nature of this campaign” cause insurmountable problems with regard to the flow of information (which in any event has been to say the least for practical purposes been inadequate) or are the cause of the delay. Management of MMC are employed on the basis that such matters are overcome in a commercial way after proper and expeditious consideration and the making of proper inquiries as advised by lawyers and engineers. Obviously there may be a delay in obtaining the relevant new components but the numbers are not large.
Purchasers of CX vehicles have been left in an impossible position as regards travel arrangements and mitigation of inconvenience and damage. Dealers have been left in the position that they could no answer the legitimate inquiries of customers actual and prospective as to the likely period of delay.
As to 4 above (the stop drive noticeI I was surprised to find out by a search in the government DVSA website using the registration number and the vin number of my PlusFour that the result was

“ We don't hold information about manufacturer's safety recalls for MORGAN PLUS FOUR AUTO [Number]
To find out if your vehicle has any outstanding safety recalls, contact a MORGAN dealership.”

It seems to me that those who have had the work done should do a search to find out what is recorded against the relevant vehicle. I assume that when the work has been done on my PlusFour I will receive under a protocol approved by MMC a written document (identifying the components fitted) of some kind to this effect. I understand that he dealers have been thrown into such chaos by MMC that it strikes me as likely that some will give up the connection with the result that that their records as to work done will be no longer available in the future. Another possibility is that in present economic conditions they may become insolvent so that a purchaser of a car will be left to deal with a liquidator or administrator. Hopefully there will be an accessible record showing which CX cars are compliant

I repeat that I am pleased to see that MMC recognises that there is frustration but I emphasise that in my respectful view on the information available on this topic to date this has been caused and is being caused by the inept approach of MMC to providing information and updates. The attempt to explain by hiding behind a woefully bare and inadequate assertion that the company is faced with a complex situation and working hard shows a lack of respect to purchasers of CX vehicles and the reputation of the Morgan marque. MMC has an overriding duty to be open and frank when the present situation arose and has failed in that duty.

Re: Safety Recall - Brakes [Re: thierry242] #754851
07/09/22 02:22 PM
07/09/22 02:22 PM
BELGIUM
1560 Offline
Goodwood Drifter
1560  Offline
Goodwood Drifter
Talk Morgan Addict

BELGIUM
Originally Posted by thierry242
After two weeks , i find the brakes better , i feel more confident with the car.

You and a few others get a better car, at least one positive note cheers

Steven
sold: M3W'12, Aeromax'09,V6'09, 4/4'86
now: LM62'22, Def110'20, Yaris GR4
Page 71 of 81 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 80 81

Moderated by  TalkMorgan