Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan 3 Wheeler
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Barkbark, CraigL), 51 guests, and 35 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 149
John V6 136
OZ 4/4 121
Alistair 104
Newest Members
05 Roadster, John Tromans, Factotum, Dave Jones, Fester
8159 Registered Users
Newest Topics
Spark Plug Wires
by PaulyG. 09/12/22 04:47 PM
Jet Black
by lowebird. 09/12/22 03:01 PM
It is crowded up there
by John V6. 09/12/22 01:52 PM
Autocar YouTube
by ProfessorM. 09/12/22 01:43 PM
M3W oil pressure switch
by planenut. 09/12/22 12:02 PM
Shed Racing vid
by Luddite. 08/12/22 04:23 PM
New Morgan Pedal Car - Kettcar
by flyfisher. 08/12/22 03:42 PM
Latest Photos
Cover Girl_MOG414
Under the clouds....
Ms Marple's island/s connection...
Autumn Sunshine
Back Onshore
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics44,401
Posts750,323
Members8,159
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
346VAB, Dannywk
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: WarBird] #754044
31/08/22 04:04 PM
31/08/22 04:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 167
North Wales
Red3W Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Red3W  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 167
North Wales
WarBird – Remembering an M3W 5 speeder enthusiast and racing pioneer of these little trikes. He was such a friendly and helpful chap who had great enthusiasm for the car.

Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: Red3W] #754048
31/08/22 05:12 PM
31/08/22 05:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,547
Cheshire, UK
nippymog Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
nippymog  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,547
Cheshire, UK
Originally Posted by Red3W
WarBird – Remembering an M3W 5 speeder enthusiast and racing pioneer of these little trikes. He was such a friendly and helpful chap who had great enthusiasm for the car.


2nd to that, RIP Austin.
How are you Red3W? , not heard from you in a long time. All the best.

Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: nippymog] #754312
03/09/22 08:02 AM
03/09/22 08:02 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 167
North Wales
Red3W Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Red3W  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 167
North Wales
We are good thanks Nippymog. Hope you are both okay. I still look in occasionally to see what is going on.

Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: WarBird] #755033
09/09/22 12:26 AM
09/09/22 12:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 52
M
Mogegg Offline
Just Getting Started
Mogegg  Offline
Just Getting Started
M

Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 52
Ahh the ole g50 Porsche . Lol long and short of it . Is there ANY M3W owner who Actually sourced and installed a non Morgan factory “part”. I have scoured all the clutch articles here. It’s seems a bigger clutch friction plate and pressure plate is not a problem due to roomy bell housing. I have to do a clutch job . And my inclination is to take the opportunity to put in a beefier larger more capable clutch . I saw the possible sources mentioned, but wanted to get some up to date actual use input ? Why not go bigger and as high performance as possible? If fully technically possible .

Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: WarBird] #755093
09/09/22 01:19 PM
09/09/22 01:19 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,730
Gods own county! Oop north
D
Dab of oppo Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Dab of oppo  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
D

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,730
Gods own county! Oop north
Perhaps more rotating mass would put extra strain on the crank shaft as it was never designed to spin a big flywheel and clutch assy. Also it would slow the throttle response down.

Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: WarBird] #755142
09/09/22 10:23 PM
09/09/22 10:23 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 3,694
Port Orchard, WA.
LightSpeed Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
LightSpeed  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 3,694
Port Orchard, WA.
Do not forget to change the throwout bearing while you are in there doing the clutch job.


The light at the end of the tunnel is actually a train. 2019 M3W

Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: Mogegg] #755199
10/09/22 05:45 PM
10/09/22 05:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 150
Lot et Garonne, France
S
Stevo666 Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Stevo666  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
S

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 150
Lot et Garonne, France
Originally Posted by Mogegg
Ahh the ole g50 Porsche . Lol long and short of it . Is there ANY M3W owner who Actually sourced and installed a non Morgan factory “part”. I have scoured all the clutch articles here. It’s seems a bigger clutch friction plate and pressure plate is not a problem due to roomy bell housing. I have to do a clutch job . And my inclination is to take the opportunity to put in a beefier larger more capable clutch . I saw the possible sources mentioned, but wanted to get some up to date actual use input ? Why not go bigger and as high performance as possible? If fully technically possible .


Sorry - got to ask, what's wrong with the standard fitment clutch - in albeit 'heavy duty' spring version? So not an MMC supplied friction plate.
The clutch isn't normally a huge issue on the M3W...odd spring broken but that's about it.
Its up to the job of transferring the power as required.

Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: Dab of oppo] #755230
10/09/22 11:47 PM
10/09/22 11:47 PM
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 52
M
Mogegg Offline
Just Getting Started
Mogegg  Offline
Just Getting Started
M

Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 52
No flywheel change . The Morgan 3w practically has no flywheel . So there’s no flywheel change or any additional mass related to that. I’m talking about , to begin with just using the slightly bigger actual Mazda Miata friction plate . Morgan plate 180 , step up 210 . Not a giant change , but a nice increase in friction plate .
Seems perfectly feasible . As to the pressure plate , I would assume a matching plate is made for the corresponding friction plate. All this info I’ve garnered from the forum. Kinda wild that nobody has actually correctly sourced and ran with a better than stock , beefier , more efficient clutch ? Or has anyone? I’d really like too.

Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: WarBird] #755349
12/09/22 12:50 AM
12/09/22 12:50 AM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 636
SW Iowa, U.S.A.
Bitsobrits Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Bitsobrits  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 636
SW Iowa, U.S.A.
I believe the reason no one has sought a "beefier, more efficient" clutch is there is simply no need to do so.

As for you comment "the Morgan 3W practically has no flywheel" you need to remember that that S&S motor already has a huge amount of mass (and therefore flywheel effect) in it's 43 pound crankshaft. Adding any more mass to the rotating assembly, especially cantilevered from the crank as is the M3W clutch, is a very bad idea, IMHO.


Steve
Late 2012 M3W




Re: Clutch Replacement [Re: Bitsobrits] #755350
12/09/22 01:02 AM
12/09/22 01:02 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 3,694
Port Orchard, WA.
LightSpeed Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
LightSpeed  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 3,694
Port Orchard, WA.
Originally Posted by Bitsobrits
I believe the reason no one has sought a "beefier, more efficient" clutch is there is simply no need to do so.

As for you comment "the Morgan 3W practically has no flywheel" you need to remember that that S&S motor already has a huge amount of mass (and therefore flywheel effect) in it's 43 pound crankshaft. Adding any more mass to the rotating assembly, especially cantilevered from the crank as is the M3W clutch, is a very bad idea, IMHO.


+1


The light at the end of the tunnel is actually a train. 2019 M3W

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  TalkMorgan 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1