Talk Morgan

Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan

Posted By: HeadlessBlue

Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 12:19 PM

Hi. Hoping to tap into the Google app known as The Morgan Massive please. Not sure if this is the right forum but as a newbie I thought other potential newbies may also be curious. If wrong, apologies.
Please can anyone suggest what is a comfortable time/distance to drive in a Morgan in a single session/day (ignoring ablution stops/char breaks)? Myself and Lady H are looking at planning trips for post 15th March (when my Plus 4 is born, full grown) and considering places such as Cornwall (approx 5 hours and 300 miles from home) or west coast of Scotland (9 hours non stop and just over 500 miles-yes I am now singing the Proclaimers).
I should state that I am the one who enjoys driving the long distances but I want to be fair to Lady H so that she (and to be fair I have a dodgy back) and I don’t need a hoist to get out of the car at the end of the journey!!! For info we are getting the 110 “sports performance seats” if that makes a difference. The last time I took a test drive was about 8-10 years ago from the factory and I seem to recall pottering around for a day seemed fairly trouble free from a comfort point of view but it was a leisurely pace with multiple stops for photos!
Many thanks
HB
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 12:25 PM

Depends on how many breaks you take, I reckon. Just stopping for fuel and biobreaks I'm happy doing 300 miles, with a longer stop for lunch or whatever then 400 miles is no problem. Personally I would say that 500 miles / 9 hours is a bit of a stretch.
Posted By: N22MOG

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 12:26 PM

Furthest I’ve driven in a day is Kent to The Lake District, just over 300 miles and around 6 hours, no problems with comfort but it was mostly motorway so not the most enjoyable route in a Morgan.
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 12:31 PM

HB

I’m not entirely sure if they fit the 110 anni sports seats so check first but I can recommend Wolf Performance’s pump up lumbar supports

I had a lower back injury 2 years ago and they are FAB-U-LOUS for lumbar comfort on long journeys

If your seats are similar to mine, they are a 5 minute easy peasy install

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 12:39 PM

Brilliant, thanks. They look good and v worthwhile. Are they affected by having the heated seats option as we are?
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By HeadlessBlue
Brilliant, thanks. They look good and v worthwhile. Are they affected by having the heated seats option as we are?
HB

I doubt it as it will just be an element in the seat but I would ring Cain (Wolf Performance) when you get your Mog to just check with him

He’s super knowledgable and very helpful
Posted By: kwb

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 12:45 PM

For me the limiting component is the noise, wind, tires mainly when driving on autoroutes. The furthest was about 1000 km from Aix-en-Provence to Spittal/Drau in Austria. But normally about 500 km with a little sightseeing, coffee and photostops.
Posted By: Fat Wolfie

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 01:14 PM

An interesting question HB, and of course I have no answer.

But can confirm on my 110 Plus 4 the sports seats come with the pump up lumbar support. Or at least mine did, and I didn’t specify them!

I didn’t opt for heated seats though.

Interestingly the manual that comes with the car makes no mention of the lumbar bit and I only noticed them yesterday when visiting the car in the garage.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 01:26 PM

Thanks Stewart, kwb and Fat Wolfie
Think I saw Cain at the FringeMog meet we were at in October so, subject to how the seats turn out, will probably grab him if I’m allowed to go again!!!!
How are things going with your new baby FW- been out much over the weekend so far?
Cheers
HB
Posted By: John V6

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 01:58 PM

We work on 300 miles a day.
400 is possible but 500 would be hard work.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 02:01 PM

We've done Mullion Cove in Cornwall to Sheffield in one journery and roof down. Probably six hours.
We've also done Fort William to Sheffield in one run, starting in freezing cold heavy rain and ending in blue sky and probably 20 degrees warmer......That took seven and a half hours, and that's our limit.
Posted By: PhilRoyle

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 02:05 PM

I think my longest was Canterbury to Derby with one pit stop - but it took over 7 hours due to traffic jams. It was OK - but 7 hours in a Mog is a bit much with only one stop.
Posted By: milligoon

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 02:07 PM

If it wasn't for the daft issue I have with my foot (Morton's Neuroma) being irritated by the heavy clutch spring, I'd say for me upto 8 hours of driving.

I did Dorset to Northumberland without any issues other than my foot (and bladder) but you need to fill up tootled around the borders over the weekend then back to Dorset again no hotels or stopovers in the middle just the odd bite to eat and stretching of the legs.

The 3.0 is a very easy lazy engine to live with on long runs, the rest of the car would be much the same as your new +4

Oh yes and I was topless the whole way up and down, but did have the side screens on to reduce some of the wind.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By milligoon
did have the side screens on to reduce some of the wind.

Yes, for long distances especially on motorways sidescreens are a great benefit.
Posted By: Felix42

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 02:17 PM

I think 250 to 300 miles, depending on the type of road, is quite enough. There are no prizes for killing yourself.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 02:17 PM

+1. Side screens for Motorways.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By PhilRoyle
I think my longest was Canterbury to Derby with one pit stop - but it took over 7 hours due to traffic jams. It was OK - but 7 hours in a Mog is a bit much with only one stop.

When the Mog was at Newmarket I went down from home both days. An epic road trip!!!!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 02:37 PM

Thank you to everyone for all the responses and suggestions. All will be duly noted for the future and a great help for our planning. Ta for taking the time-do appreciate the effort
Kind regards
HB
Posted By: Scrambledsignals

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 03:01 PM

Did Cambridge to Perigueux via Eurotunnel in a day, and did the return trip in a day 4 days later. About 650 miles each way.

Using the autoroutes made the driving very stress free. Would not recommend doing this all the time but this was a needs must trip and it worked OK
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 03:01 PM

On our trip to Austria last year, 250 miles in a day was straightforward and allowed plenty of time for comfort stops, sight seeing and meals. 300 was a bit too much and we ended up using motorways to keep journey times within bounds. The fundamental issue is the person in the passenger seat. My nagivator starts to get verbose after too long on the car. Planning this year’s trip to the Pyrenees we have tried to keep every day under 250 miles - it is meant to be a holiday.

And another vote for leaving side screens on for the longer days - it is important that you are still talking to each other when you get that post drive cold beer at the end of the day. I have now dispensed with the side screen storage luggage rack and replaced it with a low-line luggage rack which gives me much better rear visibility with luggage in place. The side screen storage rack sits in the garage and will be re-installed for days out locally when just carrying picnic chairs etc.
Posted By: Fox Terrier

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 03:55 PM

The answer to your question is exactly 235 miles. Hope this helps.
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By Fox Terrier
The answer to your question is exactly 235 miles. Hope this helps.

That is Ok for an average condition day, but could be even 248 miles when descending from mountains. When rain please exchange miles with km

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 04:08 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
HB
Posted By: andymot

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 04:12 PM

All this talk of long Morgan journeys has got me yearning for the salt to disappear and the days to grow longer... .We did 4.5 hours on route to North wales from sussex as part of our "shake down" trip when we first got the 4/4. Very enjoyable - Only real issue was the chilly draft around the lower legs/feet - cured by a travel rugs wrapped around effected parts.

Get hold of Dave W's book for some useful tips about touring......
Posted By: Rob Thornton

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 04:15 PM

Probably best to plan by time rather than mileage taking into account the type of roads you wish to travel on. Like others before when we are touring we wouldn't want to do more than 250 - 300 miles in a day but when I have been on my own and driving for a purpose A to B I have sometimes covered 400+. We have both found the older non-reclining sports seats very comfortable and improved by the addition of the inflatable lumber supports. One thing that I have noticed that I don't experience in our trusty Volvo is the need to take more comfort breaks. I put that down to the harder suspension!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 04:33 PM

That’s the second mention I’ve seen of a book by Dave W. Have tapped Dave W book of Morgan into the internet of things and it’s come up with David Wellings Buying and Maintaining etc. Is that the book to which people are referring? I aleady trust the peeps on here with their ideas....
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 04:37 PM

David Wellings Buying and Maintaining etc. Is that the book to which people are referring?

Yup, that's the badger.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 04:54 PM

Duly ordered!
HB
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By Rob Thornton
improved by the addition of the inflatable lumber supports.

Oh Crikey! We're into wood again!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 05:08 PM

Well spotted Bob and too late to correct!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By Rob Thornton
Well spotted Bob and too late to correct!

Cheers Rob. Meant in good humour, glad you took it that way.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 05:12 PM

I assume it’s so you don’t uncomfortable knots in your muscles (I know there’s another thread elsewhere with all these jokes so I’ll grab my coat and go).
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 05:18 PM

I assume it’s so you don’t uncomfortable knots in your muscles (I know there’s another thread elsewhere with all these jokes so I’ll grab my coat and go). getcoat
HB
Posted By: MOG 615

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 05:54 PM

We both drive the +8 , and we change every 2 hours on long runs . This helps both the driver and passenger to stay fresher and enjoy things.

On Uk roads we are very lucky to cover more than 100 miles in 2 hours, but we don't mind a 500 mile target which we do with 4 driver changes plus assorted pit stops and refreshment breaks. However when faced with a 500 mile day , we do insist on doing less than 150 the next day.

We prefer to travel open with sidecreens in position, but top up can be a little less tiring due to the lower wind noise.
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 06:07 PM

Wie made some 6-7 hour trips in Norway. That means 200-300 km trips a day!

Longest trip in Germany was 500km with 2 breaks, most in motorways! 6 hours in Norway- was fun, the trip in the motorway was no fun!
All trips hood down and without sidescreens! drive clapx
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 06:26 PM

Around 250 miles a day for me seems comfortable with breaks with the side screens and roof off. I'd put that up to 400 with them both on though as the noise and buffeting level is far less tiring.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 06:32 PM

Thank you everyone. Lady H and I have some planning to do!!!! How exciting although apparently I’m told the car needs to arrive before I can drive there. She is so bloomin’ sensible sometimes....party pooper
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 06:52 PM

Thank you everyone. Lady H and I have some planning to do!!!! How exciting although apparently I’m told the car needs to arrive before I can drive there. She is so bloomin’ sensible sometimes....party pooper
HB

They have an unfortunate habit of spoiling our dreams with a dose of reality.

One further thought - I think someone mentioned time rather than mileage above. There are roads in the Alps where 70 miles is more than enough in one day.
Posted By: Peter J

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 06:59 PM

We find that a drive of 2 to 3 hours, followed by a "comfort break" and fill up with fuel work well. Typically 100 to 150 miles, so 500 miles in a day is possible, but tiring.

The Plus 8 is quieter hood down above about 60mph.
Posted By: tmg513

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By MOG 615

I'm sure that plenty of rich heterosexuals are reading it as well.
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 10:15 PM

I'm sure you'll find your own 'pace', which for me/us is dictated by the nature of the journey. For example, if you're in holiday mode setting then it's everything off & stowed, with a nice bimble going on, so around 100 miles with lots of tea & pee stops.

Heading for a destination against a setting sun or simply the need to get there, then it's hood up, ear plugs in & motorways..

You can do some serious miles if you choose, but the noise, wind blast and traffic around you all conspire some days.

In truth, it's a leisure car and one to enjoy, so a bit of Fangio on a nice part mixed with some hunkering down and humming to yourself is usually the order of the day.

I actually don't like driving to a timescale any longer, so I'd rather plan an overnighter to spread the miles these days.

Half the fun is trying things out, so enjoy it..!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By tmg513
Originally Posted By MOG 615

I'm sure that plenty of rich heterosexuals are reading it as well.

rofl
Posted By: Aeroman

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 13/01/19 11:08 PM

We drove to Munich from the Eurotunnel in Calais in 2017, just under 630 miles - hood down but widescreens firmly in place. The Tillett seats in our Plus 8 are very comfortable, but no seat heaters!
Posted By: waikiore

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 04:30 AM

Yes 500km is a long way in any open car and I always have the sidescreens on, but even with my back i can extricate myself after that for a reviving g & T.
Posted By: Neilda

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 08:59 AM

Please can anyone suggest what is a comfortable time/distance to drive in a Morgan in a single session/day (ignoring ablution stops/char breaks)?

Much would depend on how dodgy your back is....

I have driven from coast to coast in France in a single hop in my previous Morgan (3.7 Roadster). It was not hugely comfortable and my back suffered afterwards.

In my case, even though I am now driving the more comfortable Aero +8, would probably be 4 hours absolute tops. When I next do a Continental tour, that is what I would plan on.
Posted By: Michael P

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 11:12 AM

For me, the best roads to drive the Morgan are country roads. Of course you can drive on highways to get from A to B quickly. But country roads are much more fun!

Just find out what gives you the most pleasure!

I would start with shorter distances. Too long stages at the beginning could (especially for the co-driver) spoil the joy of driving a Morgan.

We plan our trips according to the motto "The journey is the destination".

The more beautiful the landscape and the more winding the roads, the shorter the daily stages.

Last year we drove 11.600 km and there was no day stage over 300 km.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 11:41 AM

We generally limit it to about 500km a day if we are trying to get somewhere. That gives us time fr a relaxed lunch and a few pit stops wink
Posted By: Fat Wolfie

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 12:25 PM

Hi HB.

I’m lucky enough to be retired so didn’t take car out at the weekend - itsmuch quieter in the week!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 12:49 PM

One thing to remember in all of this - “Morgan Bladder” is a recognised condition. On bumpy roads, the first coffee stop is preceded by a sprint to the little room.
Posted By: Ray

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By Paul F
One thing to remember in all of this - “Morgan Bladder” is a recognised condition. On bumpy roads, the first coffee stop is preceded by a sprint to the little room.
. Some taffmogers have been known to disappear behind large roadside tree's.... don't think the trees needed to be as big as the were. hide
Posted By: xc68anc

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 01:34 PM

Hello, have a look at "hello from germany - rhein-main-area"... I've (and my wife) done 2000 KM in 4 days. Most time in bad weather. The last day was 700 KM on the motorway. The days before were in south britian with one day Southampthon - LandsEnd, most on the M30, one day LandsEnd -Lymington via Dartmoor. My wife told me the +4 is a comfortable car for such travelling.

Look forward to enjoy your journey!

Greets from Germany

René

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 14/01/19 07:01 PM

I hope individuals won’t mind but, for brevity, may I say thank you for each and every reply (especially, but not exclusively, the funny ones). All are really helpful and give me as a novice a great insight as to what to expect and plan for.
Thank you
HB
Posted By: stevemag

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 10:27 AM

40mile and my 63yrs old injured back ( from motorcycle accidents! ) is my limit gloomy
which is why my car is up for sale gloomy

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 10:53 AM

No words necessary here........a typical drive in the NW of Scotland. The last two are Applecross....... grin2

Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 10:58 AM

Bealach na Baa - wonderful bit of road!

A drive along Glen Torridon is also worth doing - for the scenery smile

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 11:24 AM

You need a cameraman with nerves of steel and a steady hand though............. smirk2

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By Graham, G4FUJ
Bealach na Baa - wonderful bit of road!

A drive along Glen Torridon is also worth doing - for the scenery smile

It certainly is! I remember the first time I did it in 2013 I was being followed by Colin (SpannerJuggler) and Rob (RobMog88). I kept stopping for photographs about every 200 metres, around each bend a new vista opened up even more impossibly spectacular than the last.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 12:01 PM

Was it really 5-1/2 years ago? shocked2
I must drive up it one year, rather than the anti-clockwise Applecross route we did. Perhaps up, across to the inn, then back down again afterwards smile

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 04:29 PM

Those are stunning views Dave. Would it be wrong to suggest that the Morgan simply enhances and magnifies the sheer beauty of nature or is that OTT?
One day that will be me (he says in a very longing voice)....😝
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 05:45 PM

Those are stunning views Dave. Would it be wrong to suggest that the Morgan simply enhances and magnifies the sheer beauty of nature or is that OTT?
HB

Yup. Any view of Scotland is enhanced by the presence of a Morgan. This is the B862, General Wade's Military Road. Not on the NC500 route, and illustrates perfectly my point about there being loads of quiet non-policed alternatives around.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 06:46 PM

What no rain! Couldn't possibly be Scotland!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 16/01/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By Gambalunga
What no rain! Couldn't possibly be Scotland!

No, that only happens on bank and school holidays!
Posted By: Bumpy

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 22/02/19 11:01 AM

Did Warrington - Le Mans round trip a couple of times last year - about 580 miles each way, after 450 miles you start to get a bit buffered and suffering cabin fever !!

350 mile is good, 450 mile is you want a cup of tea at home, 580 mile you got bed sores and ear ache !

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 22/02/19 07:32 PM

Thanks Bumpy
So far the longest one we’ve got lined up is a 300 mile trip down to Cornwall with other shorter trips lined up too so,like everyone has suggested, gonna take things fairly easy as we get used to the suspension etc. Too excited for words. Got told today that she has come out of the paint shop and moved to Trim. Yippeeeeedeeeee!
HB
Posted By: BertR

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 23/02/19 04:14 PM

Longest drive in a single day was about 920 km (575miles) fleeing rain south of Munich and driving back home to sunny NL. Did this wt my son, who is at least as crazy as I am. This is to say, max distance per day depends on you and your company, as well as the road and traffic. More sensible folk would do no more than 400 km or so a day.
Cheers,
Bert

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 23/02/19 04:26 PM

Cheers Bert
Hope all is well in the Netherlands
HB
Posted By: Button

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 26/02/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By Bumpy
Did Warrington - Le Mans round trip a couple of times last year - about 580 miles each way, after 450 miles you start to get a bit buffered and suffering cabin fever !!

350 mile is good, 450 mile is you want a cup of tea at home, 580 mile you got bed sores and ear ache !

I very much agree. I often do 8 hours and have done 12 hours (emergency) but 6 hours is the best. Particularly for the Passenger. Sitting and bouncing for 6 hours is enough.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 26/02/19 07:57 PM

HB

The whole experience is amplified in a Morgan. You'll understand when you've done it!!!!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 26/02/19 08:28 PM

Its not long now......🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮. Think, Mr Button, I may end up receiving divorce papers if I suggested driving 8-12 hours to Lady HB too early....
Down to the factory on Thursday morning and hopefully she will still be in maternity dress👍😇 (referring to Florence rather than Lady HB by the way otherwise cost may become more of a factor as well as time...). Anyhoo, can’t get rid of a slightly sick feeling in my tummy....with excitement of course..... read some more of your book,Dave, over the weekend to try and calm down. Corkin’ read and sooooooo interesting. Didn’t work. Simply ended up adding another three things to my potential fettling list. Thanks 🤬
HB
Posted By: BertR

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 26/02/19 08:58 PM

Cheers Bert
Hope all is well in the Netherlands
HB

Yes, its good in NL, in multiple respcts! Fantastic weather now, and oppotunities to drive the Morgan!
Thanks for asking HB.
Bert

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 26/02/19 10:34 PM

My experience is that I can go for about 4 hours without problems and I find the seats in the Morgan very comfortable. The ladies usually require a pit stop long before I start to feel uncomfortable so the comfort factor is not what dictates stopping.

The usual thing is that just as you are ready to go they say "I'll just duck in to the loo before we leave". Ten minutes after your planned departure time you get away then after about half an hour or so it's "Keep an eye open for a service station /bar/Cafe please". After that you might manage to get in a couple of hours without a stop and if you are lucky you can stretch it to lunch time ooo

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 27/02/19 09:07 AM

Best is when Management falls asleep. Sometimes an hour or so without commentary, stop requests or overspeed warning alerts is very relaxing.
Posted By: SFG

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 27/02/19 06:56 PM

Does Jan read this?

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 27/02/19 07:08 PM

Thanks all once again. Teehee- you are all little minx’s determined to cause trouble!
Unfortunately Lady HB doesn’t sleep when I’m driving and that’s even before she feels like we’re driving at 400 mph in a Morgan even though it’s only 40. This is even when I’m rabbiting on with my droning, soporific voice. I need to come up with another plan to tire her out 😇. Hoovering? Would that work? I am such an “ideas” man.....
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 28/02/19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By SFG
Does Jan read this?

Fortunately not. I do tell her some of these things though. You won't snitch on me will you?

I have already told her that the best journey ever down the Fosse Way to Somerset was the day she had completely lost her voice. 30 minutes quicker journey and no earache.
Posted By: SFG

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 28/02/19 02:00 PM

You should fit the passenger side with a loop of leather so that she can pull on the reins when you're going too fast.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 28/02/19 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By SFG
You should fit the passenger side with a loop of leather so that she can pull on the reins when you're going too fast.

rofl
Posted By: M3W55

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 28/02/19 07:50 PM

I will be looking to do up to 350 miles a day on a trip to the top of Norway in June. I expect my back to give up before the M3W does, but it may be a tight race.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 28/02/19 07:55 PM

Ooooh. Good luck with that. That sounds like a fantastic trip. Jealous once again
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 17/06/19 09:28 PM

Apologies for bumping an old thread.
Have a better idea now. Did 291 miles today from home to Devon. Roof down, one stop after 1 1/2 hours and 114 miles and then another 3 hours later and 250 miles into journey. Despite various joint issues have managed to avoid walking like a chimp although a little tired and stiff. Ears ringing a bit due to wind and sports exhaust but certainly not unbearable. Lady HB reckoned she’d had enough after 200 miles.
So the answer to my own question is 5 1/2 hours and 291 miles (though I’d be willing to go for longer personally....😇).
....in case anyone was interested....
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 17/06/19 09:43 PM

Ears ringing a bit due to wind and sports exhaust
HB

I have a pair of custom moulded earplugs that I use on long journeys, I got them after I arrived at a hotel following a long journey and struggled to hear the receptionist. They are very comfortable and work very well.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 17/06/19 09:56 PM

Where did you get them from? I had some made to measure from the ear dept at specsavers or somesuch place and they’re “ok” but slip out v easily (originally had them made to aid sleep and watch F1 trackside (some say the two could happen at the same time but I disagree...)).
HB

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 17/06/19 09:56 PM

We have done some longish runs recently, mainly on the Autostrada. I can assure you that when you need to do long distances hood up is much more comfortable and even saves fuel. Mind you in the summer heat it is also an advantage to have aircon, which we have.

When we were at our destination it was hood down and sidescreens off for all the shorter jaunts that we did.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 18/06/19 05:48 AM

Where did you get them from? I had some made to measure from the ear dept at specsavers or somesuch place and they’re “ok” but slip out v easily (originally had them made to aid sleep and watch F1 trackside (some say the two could happen at the same time but I disagree...)).
HB

It was a local opticians/audiologist (but not specsavers) but I can’t remember the name as it was 10+ years ago and we’ve moved since. They poured some stuff into each ear to make the moulds (sounds unpleasant but it wasn’t), they’re a perfect fit and certainly wouldn’t fall out.
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 18/06/19 10:18 AM

HB

Here in Germany my bought a pair from "Amplifon.com". Very reasonable price. She uses them since more than 5 years. They fit like a glove.

Google shows a company with the same name in GB....

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 18/06/19 11:50 PM

In a M3W - My guess is less than 250 miles but I have only driven a Trike about a mile so I like experience.

In My DHC I can do easily 8 Hours, however I am using a early +8 seat not the original.

In My '63 +4-4Str easily 10 hours with a break for lunch, however I have modern Leather Morgan seats - sourced from MMC.

Last week, in My +8 Bitsa with Roadster seats I did 12 hours, 650 miles, no lunch break only fuel breaks. I could walk when I got home.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 18/06/19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By Button
In a M3W - My guess is less than 250 miles but I have only driven a Trike about a mile so I like experience.

In My DHC I can do easily 8 Hours, however I am using a early +8 seat not the original.

In My '63 +4-4Str easily 10 hours with a break for lunch, however I have modern Leather Morgan seats - sourced from MMC.

Last week, in My +8 Bitsa with Roadster seats I did 12 hours, 650 miles, no lunch break only fuel breaks. I could walk when I got home.

first sentence - lack not like

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 19/06/19 12:02 AM

first sentence - lack not like

BTW: With the +8 I did between 23 and 26 MPUSG (4 qts) travelling between 60 and 80, 70 most of the time. Using a aftermarket MSD EFI. My speedometer came from a 4/4. I also used Google Mileage from Google Maps. Thus 23 - 26. Need to calibrate the 4/4 Speedometer. With the information both ways and 1,300 miles it looks like 24 MPG. Not many mountains mostly desert.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 19/06/19 10:02 PM

Button- all I can say is you are a legend. Lady HB has kindly reminded me that I am only 52 and not half as mobile of full of beans as you!!!! Amazing stuff sir!!!
HB
Ps what are you taking to be so fit?????? 👍🕺

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 20/06/19 02:24 AM

Button- all I can say is you are a legend. Lady HB has kindly reminded me that I am only 52 and not half as mobile of full of beans as you!!!! Amazing stuff sir!!!
HB
Ps what are you taking to be so fit?????? 👍🕺

I drink an old time local Beer "Rainer". I also Skied, Sailed, Hiked and of course Built and maintained and drive My Morgans. I have worked until I was 65 and now retired for 25 Years. I have some down time but actually am very healthy for My age. I live on Puget Sound in a nice but small home. I look out at the ships, tugs, ferry's, etc. that go by My home every day. My only regret is I lost Mrs. Button several years ago. She was a delight.
Posted By: Mkiss

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 20/06/19 06:25 AM

Did anyone mention weather and traffic conditions?

We are about to start from Bavaria to Graz. I go a clear no from my son - so we will leave the Mog in the shed. And a bit I agree. Traffic jam in the full heat combined with a 300 mile ride is probably not full pleasure - it is more a proof of ...
Posted By: rcmatt

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 20/06/19 04:03 PM

In September we will take our Morgans from here to Oklahoma (then Fayetteville AR for Brits over the Ozarks event). 2 days... a thousand miles (one way)

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 20/06/19 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By Mkiss
Did anyone mention weather and traffic conditions?

We are about to start from Bavaria to Graz. I go a clear no from my son - so we will leave the Mog in the shed. And a bit I agree. Traffic jam in the full heat combined with a 300 mile ride is probably not full pleasure - it is more a proof of ...

A very good point, the traffic conditions vary vastly around the world and our part of Europe is crowded.

When it becomes a competition or a trial the fun element can very soon evaporate which misses the whole point of owning a Morgan, pure fun and enjoyment.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 20/06/19 05:28 PM

One of the reasons I used the MINI for last September's jaunt to the Highlands followed by Northumberland on return journey - the forecast was dire for the whole period. Mid-50s fuel consumption compared to low 30s was another consideration! smile

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 20/06/19 05:34 PM

I do agree with weather, traffic and urban density. If any have visited the states you will know we also have miles and miles of miles and miles. And it can be quite a distance to get to anything. It was even worse when there was a mandated 55 MPH speed limit on the interstates.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 20/06/19 05:47 PM

I appreciate the speed limit at 55, we worked in South Africa during the early 1970's at the time of the oil crisis and the national limit was 50mph. Like your country with thousands of miles to travel it was the height of frustration particularly so as the roads were pretty much traffic free and the weather good.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 20/06/19 05:57 PM

yes, we toured the country on motorcycles in those days (well, still do) and you would drive for ten hours and cover a measly 400 miles swear

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 21/06/19 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By rcmatt
It was even worse when there was a mandated 55 MPH speed limit on the interstates.

Which I, on business in California, totally ignored. I had been told that the police were not allowed to use radar on the highways so I just kept a good lookout for patrol cars. I did notice that I was the fastest thing on the roads; the Californians, by and large, are very law abiding and courteous drivers.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 21/06/19 03:25 PM

COMFORTABLE DRIVING DISTANCES IN A MORGAN:

I must learn to read. Mrs. Button insisted on a limit of 6 Hours, 3 in the Morning and 3 in the Afternoon. With a very interesting Lunch as well as the best Hotel/Motel one could find.

I want to enjoy Myself, not go to beat hell, eat fast food, stay in a Hotel 6, get up at the crack of dawn and do it all over again.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 28/06/19 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by HeadlessBlue
HB

Hi HB,
I found some more details on my earplugs, made by ultimate ear protection (www.ultimateear.com). Mine are the Motorsport Squidgy.

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 28/06/19 11:38 AM

There's a difference between a day out and a single journey, but no hard and fast rules here.

I'm lucky that MrsW enjoys it as much as I do.

So seven and a half hours to the Highlands, followed by lunch then a reasonable walk is fine. We might grab an hours sleep in the late afternoon. But coming home in the same time is exhausting for some reason.

Last year we had a half hour to Blenheim, then in the hot sun until early afternoon, before driving to North Devon on backroads, and that was tiring but OK.

Last weekend we did a day trip to Norwich for the MOG. That was a 5.30 start. The route there is endless, and boring. Almost three hours but only about 150 miles. Then all day walking about, and two and a half hours back. Now that was tiring!

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 28/06/19 08:36 PM

Thanks N22MOG I will take a look at the link. V kind
HB
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: Comfortable driving distances in a Morgan - 30/06/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by DaveW
There's a difference between a day out and a single journey..

My recent trip from Barcelona to Bilbao, than Andorra and via France and Italy back home to Vienna area has proven that some 200miles or 300km a day is a fair distance for my traveling style. 4000km in two weeks time mainly on B or C roads. I am avoiding highway drives as much as possible. As long as it is not too hot it is fun to drive and there is enough time left for sightseeing, food and restaurants.
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News