Talk Morgan

Hello from leafy Surrey

Posted By: Kevcaster

Hello from leafy Surrey - 05/08/19 07:22 PM

We tumbled chaotically into Morgan ownership by half chance and whim. As with other decisions lots of work follows and we have been renovating an abandoned prefab garage tucked behind the veg patch. Progress is slow and so our Morgan braves the elements and waits for shelter. We bought a model that had barely achieved 500 miles a year over its 10 year life and have over a weekend added 150 more expecting to continue this way.
We have a 2009, Plus 4 4 seater in Jaguar Gunmetal Grey with Mulberry leather. It is a beauty.
I dare say that the winter months will curb our enthusiasm and bad summer weather may cause us to pick out the right days. First impressions are good and we look forward to adventure and discovery.
Kevin
Posted By: Deejay

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 05/08/19 07:56 PM

Welcome to Morgan ownership Kevin and hope you have lots of fun times. Just thinking of safety, have you checked the age of the tyres as despite low mileage, if they are originals, its well past changing time as the rubber hardens, reduces grip and can crack when you least expect it!

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 05/08/19 08:14 PM

Thanks Doug for the advice, what do people recommend as replacements for the original Yokohamas, they are currently 195x60x15?
Kevin
Posted By: Peter J

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 06/08/19 05:40 AM

Kevin,

on a 15" wheel you have a lot of choice. Many like to fit Avons, also Vredsteins (Sp??).
You also have the option of fitting "All Weather" tyres, which are great for those chilly but bright winter days.
I use my Morgan whenever it is possible: registered in April 2014 she is close to 40,000 miles and runs like clockwork.
Posted By: Deejay

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 06/08/19 09:53 AM

Agree with Peter J. Avon ZV7 seem popular. However, you will find that when it comes to advice on things like tyres, fuel and shock absorbers, it seems to provoke much emotion and passion!
Personally, when I changed my Yokos, I put Good Year Efficient Grip Performance on as they were rated A for wet grip, B for fuel, 68 db road noise and 7mm new tread depth. AND, they were a good price. I have been well pleased with their performance but as I hinted before, its stirs lots of controversy.
Just be careful where you go to have them fitted if you have spoked wheels as the balancing procedure requires special mounting cones to ensure the wheel is centred on its true centre. Many tyre fitters in my experience may not understand the implications and some modern computerised balancing machines cannot cope and throw up error codes.
Posted By: Robbie

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 06/08/19 11:05 AM

I have used Uniroyal "The Rain Tyre" on my last 2 Mogs -- rthey are brilliant in the wet and IMHO all tyres nowadays are good in the dry. I will replace the stock tyres on my new mog with The Rain Tyres when change is required

As before above, make sure the fitter is able to balance wire spoked wheels using the right cones - otherwise you will have the "Wobbles" - not pleasant!!!!!
Cheers!
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 06/08/19 01:39 PM

Welcome to TM.

Wishing you many safe miles of smiles.
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 08/08/19 06:43 AM

Welcome Kevin. Me and my misses are fairly new to Mogs as well, since Feb.

Im in Surrey too, Nr Dorking. Maybe we will see each other in passing ?
Posted By: John V6

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 08/08/19 06:49 AM

Welcome. Change the tyres PDQ.
I drive mine all year round. I am getting heated seats fitted next week as a treat. I use a tonneau cover on the passenger side if it is only me in very cold weather.

Join one of the MSCC local clubs like Thames Mog or Swan Mog to get a great social life with your Mog.
Posted By: HeadlessBlue

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 08/08/19 12:11 PM

Welcome Kevcaster from a fellow newbie.
You are in for such a treat driving your Mog around!!!
Hope you create lots of happy memories and look forward to hearing of your trips (and we all love a piccy or two)! This site is bloomin marvellous for support and ideas....
HB

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 08/08/19 08:01 PM

Hi
Bonesie, I’m in Ashtead, happy to meet up at some time. Angie and I decided we would go for coffee in a different cafe every week.as an outing. Perhaps we could meet up?
Kevin

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 08/08/19 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the welcome advice, great to have access to all this wisdom on Morgan ownership. On a point of detail where do owners keep their service book?
Kevin
Posted By: John V6

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 07:48 AM

In my house in the car history folder.

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 08:11 AM

Pictures
[Linked Image]The Leica M3 of motor cars by Kevin Yates, on Flickr
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 01:18 PM

Welcome to the forum Kevin

Love a 4 seater (for obvious reasons)

Great colour combo as well

All the MMC sales literature for the 4 seater up to its demise about 3 years ago, featured a Mog in your colour and I always thought it looked the business

Wishing you many miles and smiles

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 02:19 PM

Hi Stewart, we thought the 4 seater because we were standing in front of it on the dealers forecourt and thought - "oh yes, extra luggage, not just knickers and toothbrush". I have always loved the rather alternative shape, with four adults n place it bottoms out all too frequently and so I imagine the designers were thinking small children. Whatever was the concept, our plan for the two of us is to tour and the additional space will be invaluable.
Kevin

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kevcaster
Hi Stewart, we thought the 4 seater because we were standing in front of it on the dealers forecourt and thought - "oh yes, extra luggage, not just knickers and toothbrush". I have always loved the rather alternative shape, with four adults n place it bottoms out all too frequently and so I imagine the designers were thinking small children. Whatever was the concept, our plan for the two of us is to tour and the additional space will be invaluable.
Kevin

It's certianly great for the extra space and I know I'm in a minority (as 4 seaters are in a minority) and other Mog owners don't quite believe me when I do say that I actually prefer the long lines of the 4 seater especially when I have the tonneau cover over, sans side screens.

Espeically the post 2005 4 seater with the extended back with the rear scallop up from the rear wing

Mine looks even longer now with the rear luggage rack projecting off the spare wheel

I know quite a few 4 seater owners that have the problem of bottoming out with 4 adults in. A couple have been driven to disapir and have had to have new springs, shocks and antitramp bars to help fix the issue. One of my firends was even bottoming out with just him driving the car and put it down to the extra weight of the body cantlivering off behind the rear wheel, it was so bad. His was one of the first new shape 4 seater Roadsters from 2005 so maybe it had softer springs before Morgan realised it was an issue

Thankfully I've not experienced it at all dispite having 4 adults in touring Northumbia last year and sometimes taking my two sons aged 20 and 18 out in the back

My last 4/4 4 seater from 2000 did bottom out occationally with the boys in the back and I did have to go slow over bumps until Lifes Motors put some new shocks on the back to firm it up

Not sure why my 2008 doesn't as it sounds as if your Mog has done about the same amount of miles as when I bought mine 20 months ago and the springs should be the same from around the same time period

It's one of those Morgan mysteries

Tyres:

Ive just put new Avon Av7's on but only because it repalced the old Avon AV5's which were on it since new
I did quite a bit of research and it threw up lots of good alternatives and I was very close to putting Yokahama Advan Neova semi-slicks on because I loved the tread pattern and they have just put those on one of the new press launch Plus Sixes but I chickened out last minute through cost and went for the default Avons

With the 15 inch tyre you have more choice than my 16's and I dearly love the look of the classic tread Michelin, Dunlops or the Blockleys that Phil Royale has on his. The classic tread pattern and vintage looking tyres on Mogs look the bees knees

(you can tell I'm more infuenced by aethetics rather than all round performance) ooo
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart S
... other Mog owners don't quite believe me when I do say that I actually prefer the long lines of the 4 seater especially when I have the tonneau cover over, sans side screens.

I'm full agreement Stewart, to me the 2-seaters look artificially short with their sliced off backs! Probably a combination of being used to my own 4-seater and always wanting a Bentley!

Welcome, Kevcaster ... from over the border in Hants. I had to look up "Leica M3" and now I see what you mean!

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 08:49 PM

Hi Ian
I think I might refer to the 4 seater as ‘the limousine’ and the 2 seater as the runabout’
Posted By: Mkiss

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 09:39 PM

perfectly agree as well.
Did not like the fourseater once - but now as it is right in the garage I like the shape, the extra space and the fact itˋs rare.

I donˋt think that I will use the luggage rack. This spoils the lines when the roof is off.

So welcome with another fourseater.

Miklos
Posted By: Button

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 09/08/19 09:53 PM

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest. Don't give up on those wet Fall, Winter and Spring days. My climate is similar to Yours and I find those gloomy wet days an interesting challenge. No ice or snow or salt however. I avoid these like the plague. I try to also avoid as much as possible the Interstates (Motorways). One of My Morgans is a '63 +4-4Str. Comfortable to drive and lots of room for luggage. Sure it leaks. A lot. But a pair of nylon overalls and rain coat and what ever is needed to keep Me warm and I am on My way and often take a guest (I am a Widower) or a good book. As I live in Seattle, in the Winter I often head for the Ocean where it is wet but mostly mild. The Japanese Current keeps us warm in the Winter. Much like SW Ireland where the Gulf Of Mexico does its magic.

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 10/08/19 08:36 AM

Great, we have a storm coming through here for today and part of tomorrow, 45mph winds and some rain. The Morgan sits outside for now and has shipped some water through the screens and so gives us a taste fo what the weather can bring. We are fairly stoic when to comes to weather and so remain optimistic we will get out regularly as you do.

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 10/08/19 08:43 AM

Pictures taken on the test drive, the forecourt of Bell and Colvill in East Horsley, Surrey

[Linked Image]IMG_1170 2 by Kevin Yates, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG_1172 2 by Kevin Yates, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG_1173 2 by Kevin Yates, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG_1171 by Kevin Yates, on Flickr
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 10/08/19 02:51 PM

The Morgan sits outside for now and has shipped some water through the screens and so gives us a taste fo what the weather can bring.

I always fit a storm cover when leaving the car outdoors overnight. I have the MMC one, others use the John Taylor cover - but I have no experience of buying one for a four seater.

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 10/08/19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Paul F
The Morgan sits outside for now and has shipped some water through the screens and so gives us a taste fo what the weather can bring.

I always fit a storm cover when leaving the car outdoors overnight. I have the MMC one, others use the John Taylor cover - but I have no experience of buying one for a four seater.

Definitely Kevin
Phone John Taylor of Phoenix Designs aka Morgan Hoods and get a full storm cover for your 4 seater and never leave home without it

Essential kit

I would never be without mine
Posted By: Edwin

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 10/08/19 08:32 PM

I have the John Taylor product on my 4 seater. Works great with light to medium rain. A few weeks ago I got hit with an unexpected tropical storm band, which resulted in the back seat portion of the cover stretching to form a 15 gallon swimming pool inside the Morgan! I now put the tonneau cover in place before covering up with the storm cover. The back of the tonneau gives some extra support to prevent the back seat pool from happening.

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 11/08/19 06:56 AM

I much appreciate all your replies. I ordered the Morgan version as they have one in stock for a 4 seater. It seems to me to be a great idea and I like the concept of taking it with us for overnight parking wherever we may be. The garage refurbishment is coming along, the door has to be made and the approach re-paved, all scheduled for a mid to end September finish. This cover can do some work in the interim. Thanks again for all your suggestions, what a help it has been.

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 20/08/19 09:22 PM

I have been renovating our old Marley concrete garage, plugging the gaps and painting with Bedec floor paint. It has come back to life and will be fully functional once the door goes in, mid September. There is some security fencing needed which will delay the actual use a further couple of weeks. I’m very pleased with the result and did not expect that it would turn out so well. We had a nice run out to Chartwell on Saturday, the Morgan was much admired in the car park.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kevin
Posted By: SFG

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 20/08/19 09:28 PM

Looks huge!

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 21/08/19 12:12 PM

Ha ha yes, the Temple of Morgan👍
It is 5.00x3.8m perfect for opening doors

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 24/08/19 05:20 PM

Hi Bonesie
I saw a rather stylish couple cresting the hill from Dorking to Ranmore in a black Morgan this lunchtime, could have been you? I was out on my bike heading the other way. Earlier Angie and I motored down to the Speckaldy Hen in Shamley Green for a bacon butty, a lovely day to be in a Morgan.
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 03/09/19 07:17 AM

Hi Bonesie
I saw a rather stylish couple cresting the hill from Dorking to Ranmore in a black Morgan this lunchtime, could have been you? I was out on my bike heading the other way. Earlier Angie and I motored down to the Speckaldy Hen in Shamley Green for a bacon butty, a lovely day to be in a Morgan.

Hi Kevin, sorry for late reply, just seen this.

It could quite possibly have been me yes, we go up there every now and then for a brew and a wander and pass over Ranmore if we have a zip in the country. We should meet up at some point. Im sure you have been but there is a good spot up at Newlands cafe (GU4 8SE) which does nice food and 20 mins free parking :-) nice place to chill for a bit.
Posted By: A11OGE

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 03/09/19 10:05 AM

Welcome from Reading.

Like the grey with red, some years ago I very nearly traded in my 1989 4/4 for one like yours.

Ah yes storm covers. I always take mine (John Taylor) in the car, and the only time I did not put it on, whilst away with VinMOG in Paris this year, it rained and flooded the electrics . banghead

You may well see my red four seater around the Godalming/Milford area, as I lived there for many years when young, and I'm oftern in the area. drive

Re: Hello from leafy Surrey - 06/09/19 03:00 PM

Steve I will keep my eyes peeled for you. My storm cover is getting a work out as we have still not finished the garage, awaiting a door and some security fencing. I can easily see why they are such an asset and will follow the advice of the elders and keep mine in the car.
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News