Talk Morgan

Driving the M3W with a Helmet?

Posted By: The Austrian

Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 05:27 PM

In Austria the MTW is classified as a 3wheel motor bike.
Here wearing a helmet is mandatory for bikes...

Other countries, other regulations:
I'm interested if MTW owners drive with helmets or just use goggles and maybe other headgear. What's your best experience?
Posted By: Dab of oppo

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 05:38 PM

1. Full face helmet in cold weather/rain.
2. Open face with pop up visor, spring and autumn.
3. RayBans/ no helmet, summer. Safety glasses are also a good alternative.

1 & 2 are for comfort with an added safety element built in.
Posted By: charlestkirby

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 05:59 PM

+1
Also use helmet on the motorway.
Ear plugs otherwise...
Posted By: John V6

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 06:03 PM

With my 4/4 & +4 with aeros I always used either goggles or safety glasses. A bee in the eye at 20 mph on a bike in the 70s taught me not to risk no protection.
Posted By: fathergoose

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 06:17 PM

mine is on order, but I'm not planning on wearing any helmets. just motorcycle glasses and goggles. Im in South Carolina in the states, with the roll hoops and sitting in it, you don't need a helmet. But it is a grey area in motorcycle law . it runs like a cycle but drives like car. your in it with seat belts,and roll hoops.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 06:20 PM

I've got Schuberth flip up C3 helmets with bluetooth intercom form my bikers time.
Do I need special car racing helmets or will the bike version to the trick? Most likely there is more air ventilation on the MTW than on my Honda GoldWing.
I have Arai jet helmets too but without integrated eye protection and sunshield.

Pilot goggles are available...
Posted By: charlestkirby

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 06:26 PM

Shoei j-cruise is my helmet. I recommend it.
Fully water proof Flip up perspex face visor. Also available is a double glaxed section for cold days.
Pop down solar lens .
There are variable cooling ducts too.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 06:34 PM

Shoei and Schuberth are similar quality class.
I had them both and finally the Schuberth fitted beter to my head.
Posted By: Kaou

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 06:35 PM

I passed through Austria last year with the Three Wheeler.

I was wearing a Biltwell helmet, but just because I was driving on high way for several days.

https://www.biltwellinc.com/c2/buy/helmets/

Cheap, light and slightly vintage style.

You can find also the Davida collection or chase some used vintage helmet... I don't think the police would go too far in the compliance check.
Posted By: KBMOG

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 06:36 PM

My wife and I each use a Caberg "Downtown" open face helmet with flip up visor.
These provide good warmth and weather protection in winter without being too hot in the summer. They also make the bark of the exhaust bearable on a long journey and have the added advantage of having a built-in tinted sun visor that can be swung down in front of glasses if needed.
Posted By: Martyn Culling

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 08:56 PM

Don't use a helmet in the two speeder and apart from competition, I don't know anyone who drives a two or three speeder who does.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 09:02 PM

My request was based on a 5speeder, actually for long distance trips. For a fun trip to the next city I use a traditional pilot cap and stylish goggles
Posted By: Chris99

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 09:17 PM

As I'm fairly tall I find it more comfortable to wear a helmet for anything but short journeys.

A Premier Jet open face with sunglasses or clear safety glasses for good weather and a full face for rain.

Whatever your headwear preference good eye protection is a must.
Posted By: Matty

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 10:18 PM

Winter dull days
North Face lined beanie and fleece neck tube with mark 8 goggles

Winter bright days
Thermal balaclava ray-ban's and forage cap

Summer
As above without balaclava

I wear a helmet on my motorbike

Posted By: nippymog

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 11:12 PM

Would never wear a helmet under any circumstance in the M3W except when forced to by ACU regs for hill climbs etc.

Regularly do the M6 commute with just my wooly hat.

Always wear eye protection of some kind - thats a no brainer.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 11:16 PM

Helmets are a legal requirement in Italy too.

Caberg, by the way, is an abbreviation of Casco Bergamo. Casco being helmet and Bergamo is a rather interesting city about 40km from where I live.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergamo
Posted By: RedThree

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/01/15 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By nippymog
Would never wear a helmet under any circumstance in the M3W except when forced to by ACU regs for hill climbs etc.
+1
Sheepskin flying helmet in the winter, bare head with Factor 50 in the summer when warm (surprisingly often) or leather flying helmet when a bit cooler. I wear glasses so goggles tend to go on once speed gets above about 30 or 40mph.
Would consider wearing a helmet where required to by law!

Which raises a thought; could we do with a list (sticky post?) of which countries require a helmet by law in the three wheeler and actually might enforce it for a visitor or indeed a resident?
Posted By: Steve62Hope

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 08:53 AM

Sticky post on this subject would be most helpful as i only wear a beany hat and goggles and intend to do some European touring smile
Posted By: HJP

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 09:05 AM

+2
Like nippymog and Calum , I can't think of any reason for wearing a helmet , I have a selection of hats and flying helmets and put a waterproof balaclava underneath when needed .
Posted By: Jays

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 09:15 AM

You need one of these! woohoo

Posted By: TimG

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 12:08 PM

Most of the time I wear a leather helmet & googles. In rain or a long winter journey a Caberg Trip full face helmet. In summer if it is really warm no helmet just goggles. I always use moulded ear plugs.

Tim
Posted By: Michael H

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 02:05 PM

Leather helmet, fur-lined leather helmet and open face helmet with popup visor where required by law or the track.

Wear a Greek fisherman's cap otherwise. I have a tendency for sunburn up top!

In Vermont, the M3W is a grey area.
Posted By: Mi3Wheeler

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 02:33 PM

I wear an open face quarter helmet that is leather covered; because I rather not sustain a closed head injury as the result of some asshat not seeing me, or not paying attention to the road and trying to photo/video me while driving. I have a nice full face helmet as well for cold and highway driving.

Posted By: R1NGA

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 07:01 PM

I don't wear a helmet unless the weather looks like it's going to be atrocious. Just goggles and either a wool flat-hat in anything over 5degC and dry, or one of those Barber fleece trapper hats that were mentioned a couple of months back and which now seem to be sold out....

So what happens if I drive my car into Austria or Italy with just my normal headgear - assume I'd be stopped by the Feds?
Posted By: GLLOQ

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 07:44 PM

I drive without a helmet and without a seat belt, only with a leather cap if the temperature is cool or a long distance to the noise.
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By Jays

Not sure how a beard would help John hide apart from keeping the chin warm rofl

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/01/15 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By R1NGA
So what happens if I drive my car into Austria or Italy with just my normal headgear - assume I'd be stopped by the Feds?

In Austria I'm doing my testruns: I've been stopped twice so far: all they wanted was info on the M3W, no question regarding the helmet or the seat belt...
In case of an accident insurance companies will be more picky!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By R1NGA

A helmet is definitely required and it gets worse than that. Strictly speaking you have to have a motorcycle licence too, ridiculous though that may seem. There would however be some confusion because Italians who had a car licence up to about 15 years ago could ride a bike without having a specific bike licence. You could also probably get away with explainining that you are not required to have a bike licence for this type of vehicle in your home state and that under international agreements you only have to comply with your home state rules for licences to drive a vehicle registered in your home state whilst visiting another EU state.

I am not sure if that is entirely true for road vehicles but you would probably get away with it.

Recently the Swiss police have taken great delight in confiscating bikes of Italian riders who do not have an endorsement for bikes on their licences. The recomendation is that holders of the old paper licences get their licences updated to the new plastic type and request the motorcycle endorsement.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 06:56 AM

Peter, thank you for your detailed comment on Italy and Suisse!
Bikers licence and helmet is no problem for me as I've got both but important to know for others!

The experience I had with Italian police was very positive so far but a friend of mine - lawyer in Milano - got his scooter confiscated when he rode without helmet.
Better to be careful....
Posted By: R1NGA

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 09:26 AM

Thanks too for those explanations. I guess that makes sense, as for example a US chap visiting the UK and hiring a Harley would not be allowed to ride helmetless over here without being quickly busted at the roadside.....

I too have a full bike license as well and I may now stuff a compact helmet on the rack next time I go on a Euro tour (or maybe my future trip to M3W Treffen....)!
Posted By: MarioCP

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 02:42 PM

In Portugal tricycles with an "outer" structure or safety structure and seat belts do not require the use of helmets. Here the "google translation" to English, with a few "add ons" by me, of #3 and #4 of article 82 from our "Cdigo da Estrada" (Road Code I guess)

3 - Drivers and passengers of mopeds, motorcycles with or without sidecar, tricycles and quadricycles, must protect the head using officially approved type of helmet, properly adjusted and tight.
4 - Exempt from the provisions of the preceding paragraph are the drivers and passangers of vehicles with a rigid outer closed structure or vehicles with both rigid protective structure and seat belts.

Here the original, in case anyone wants to learn portuguese laugh2

Quote:

3 - Os condutores e passageiros de ciclomotores, motociclos com ou sem carro lateral, triciclos e quadriciclos, devem proteger a cabea usando capacete de modelo oficialmente aprovado, devidamente ajustado e apertado.
4 - Excetuam-se do disposto no nmero anterior os condutores e passageiros de veculos providos de caixa rgida ou de veculos que possuam, simultaneamente, estrutura de proteo rgida e cintos de segurana.
Posted By: wiscos

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 02:57 PM

Does that mean it needs a roof?

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 03:30 PM

The way I read this

Quote:

vehicles with a rigid outer closed structure OR vehicles with both rigid protective structure and seat belts

the M3W falls under the last category "protection structure and seat belts"

I think the "rigid outer closed structure" means no helmet is needed if you're driving this:

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 04:00 PM

Hope you're right. I'm still surprised we're allowed to drive the things anywhere in the world without helmets!
Posted By: atalante83

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 04:55 PM

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Neuf-Cuir-Casque-...L-/260958632387

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/01/15 05:29 PM

Australia, if I understand correctly, has decided that if the vehicle has two wheels in front (reverse trike) and car type controls it is a car. If it has two wheels behind and bike type controls it is a bike. End of story and no confusion.

I would imagine that a helmet is not therefore a legal requirement for an Australian M3W when they are eventually approved. The latest news on the Morgan Australia web site is that they are still working on it.

The eventual price is expected to be over AUD$70,000. The base price for a Morgan 4/4 in Australia is AUD$79,990 (about EUR54,000 or GBP43,000) plus delivery charges etc.

The costs of Australian homologation must be huge and the price will also be effected by the special variations required for Australia. All this has to be recovered by the importer.

Originally Posted By morgancars.com.au
In summary, the changes from the UK 3 Wheeler include:

Different steering column
Different steering wheel
Dash padding added
Higher roll-over hoops designed and added
Padded head rests designed and added
Repositioned front indicators
Side repeater indicators added
Side reflector added
Reversing light added
Third brake light added
New wiring harness
Wind deflectors, rather than screens
Different mirrors

In addition to these changes, three separate crash tests have been conducted on the Australian version of the 3 Wheeler and it passed all tests to satisfy ADR requirements. It has also passed the unique ADR stability test criteria.

PS. Note the "Higher roll-over hoops designed and added. Padded head rests designed and added"

This was to provide adequate roll over protection and whiplash protection in the case of a hit from the rear.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 09/01/15 06:52 AM

With two helmets it is better

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 09/01/15 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By atalante83
In Austria its mandatory to use helmets with ECE-number. Other helmets should not be used! Take these useless helmets off! laugh2
Posted By: Mark H

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 11/01/15 07:38 PM

I use a colour matched Bell Pit Boss half helmet - it looks just the part and doesn't overstate the helmet against the car - It's pretty cool and provides a somewhat Fangio look to the drive.
It comes with a neck piece and a flip down visor absolutely fantastic. - Other half has a matching one also.

Best helmet Bell have ever produced IMHO

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 11/01/15 09:50 PM

I made the mistake of showing that to swmbo
She did not find it anywhere near as amusing as I did hide
Posted By: Smaug

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 11/01/15 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By Gambalunga

I made the mistake of showing that to swmbo
She did not find it anywhere near as amusing as I did hide

Peter, I know that from my wife too ...That is the moment I turn around to her and say "Therefor it's called 'men stuff' " cowboy

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 15/01/15 01:16 PM

I got this Pilot Helmet - black version.
Fits good, but the whining from the bevel box/drive belt makes it very noisy.
Additional earplugs are recommended.

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 19/01/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By drk
I'm from Italy and i have a 3W
It's classified as L5E vehicle so:
helmet: not required ( art 171 comma 1bis CDS )

smile
Would be great. Italy is so much more fun without a helmet when it's not raining.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 19/01/15 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By The Austrian
Originally Posted By drk
I'm from Italy and i have a 3W
It's classified as L5E vehicle so:
helmet: not required ( art 171 comma 1bis CDS )

smile
Would be great. Italy is so much more fun without a helmet when it's not raining.

Not correct according to Borghi. The clause quoted specifies a 3 wheeler with a cabin or a crash protection safety cell. The roll bars on the European M3W are too low to be classified as a safety cell.

Drive without a helmet and you risk not being able to drive it home again.
Posted By: drk

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 19/01/15 06:27 PM

The situation is more complex.
The italian road code ( codice della strada) does not define the safety cell
In Italy it is invoking the judicial practice:

https://books.google.it/books?id=-kYtsXF...uta&f=false

This definition includes the simple roll hoop present in a 3 wheeler
( like a Caterham ) I have a Caterham with fia roll bar but the original one was anchored like the morgan one.
remember that in Italy the microcars (which you can drive without a license) does not have the obligation of the helmet ( but you have to use the safety belts ) and the roof has no load-bearing function

The second lecture ( B ) from art 171 CDS is the correct one for Morgan
according to Peter ...I use a lightweight helmet anyway :):)

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 20/01/15 09:44 AM

An interesting article to read. In simple terms however, in order to qualify for helmet exemption, the security cell and seat belts must be such that the head can not make contact with the road in a roll over.

Why the same rule does not apply to a 4 wheeled vehicle I do not know. Some sports cars from major manufacturers are fitted with reinforced windscreen pillars and roll over hoops in the bodywork behind the seats etc. but it does not seem to be obligatory.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 25/01/15 08:38 AM

Anyone knows the regulations for France?
I plan to cross the Grandes Alpes this spring.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 25/01/15 03:31 PM

In France just needed safety belt
Posted By: KRIS

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 26/01/15 08:41 PM

I have just imported a bell vortex flying tiger motorcycle helmet. It's that good a match to my m3w graphics you would think it was a custom paint job. Even so ideally I prefer to not wear it. I like the open to the elements feel. What is true of the helmet. I can drive In quite cold English weather and stay warm and if I'm driving a long distance on the motorway it cuts out a lot of wind noise and adds a little sense of safety.
Posted By: MorganMatt

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/02/15 02:30 PM

I use a Zox Nano Custom Open Face Helmet along with a pair of bug-eyed goggles. It's a "shorty" helmet. The ZOX are very thin and still US DOT approved. They come in a very wide array of sizes up to 5xl.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/02/15 03:39 PM

New experience: today I had my first trip on the copilot's seat. It is still winter here and the wind was blowing...
A completely different feeling to drive or to get driven. I felt much more wind when not driving myself. As a driver I concentrate on the road, as a copilot I recognize the exposure to the environment much more. As a result of this trip my wife will definitely wear a full face helmet when we cross the Grandes Alpes later this year. Schuberth C3 is the solution for us. Several seasons experience on the motorbike and felt very comfortable all time.
Posted By: Vspec

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/03/15 10:10 AM

New experience: today I had my first trip on the copilot's seat. It is still winter here and the wind was blowing...
A completely different feeling to drive or to get driven. I felt much more wind when not driving myself. As a driver I concentrate on the road, as a copilot I recognize the exposure to the environment much more. As a result of this trip my wife will definitely wear a full face helmet when we cross the Grandes Alpes later this year. Schuberth C3 is the solution for us. Several seasons experience on the motorbike and felt very comfortable all time.

I did this recently too (when the dealer was testing my car to experience a problem I had). I also noticed the wind. The biggest thing though was the lack of footrest. There is too much space in the passenger footwell and nothing to brace yourself on. Could be quite dangerous if you submarine under the seatbelt on heavy braking I think

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/03/15 11:09 AM

I have got a footrest installed.
You should do the same!
Posted By: donaldosaurus

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/03/15 04:25 PM

Ouch

Attached picture 10930848_10205390959125744_7609774698126378770_n.jpg

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/03/15 04:33 PM

Is this a 3 or a 4wheeler?

Better to race with a helmet...
Posted By: AQM

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/03/15 05:08 PM

LOL, that is so perfect it looks set up.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/03/15 06:08 PM

Is this a 3 or a 4wheeler?

Better to race with a helmet...

Is it one of the Mini engined 3 wheelers they used to rig for racing in sidecar events until they got banned?
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/03/15 06:15 PM

Ouch - that is a fantastic action shot and hopefully nothing but bruised ego to show for it. That does look like a mini sump and remote right enough.
Posted By: donaldosaurus

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/03/15 06:36 PM

Calum Red Three reckons Owen Greenwood.

Yes Cooper S banned after they won everything.

Some footage of it in action at Mallory at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEsi-YSr5g
and the Pathe footage with clear commentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpeCfkniFz0

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 23/04/15 01:27 PM

Just finished to customize 2 helmets to fit with my Super Dry edition flag

The Helmets where without an CE homologation but a great quality and made in the exact way like in the 50ies. That sayed there is no helmet obligation for the 3 Wheeler in Luxembourg oldgit
Posted By: Richard - Aus

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 23/04/15 01:34 PM

They look smart!
Posted By: Mol

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 23/04/15 09:02 PM

I don't usually drive my M3W with a helmet, but when I do, this is what I wear.

The Flying Tiger on my car was hand painted with One Shot paint by a friend.

Posted By: A11OGE

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 23/04/15 10:03 PM

Goodness. What a great helmet. Proper job.

Originally Posted By Mol
I don't usually drive my M3W with a helmet, but when I do, this is what I wear.

The Flying Tiger on my car was hand painted with One Shot paint by a friend.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 24/04/15 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By A11OGE

+1

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 24/04/15 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By A11OGE

+2 - both look superb!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 24/04/15 01:42 PM

Wow, Mol! shocked2 ...okay you beat me, have to hide my two Helmets goodnight
Thats a nice work Flying Tiger theme on the Helmet and I love the Tiger on your 3W.
Superb work!!!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 24/04/15 04:30 PM

I think if you paint or put stickers on a helmet it invalidates the CE homologation. So perhaps not a good idea for your bike lid. Fine for M3W where its not compulsory wear & is more for looks & weather protection.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 24/04/15 11:25 PM

I bought that BELL, DOT approved, helmet that way. It's 100% legal. It took a lot of searching to find it, and it was a no brainer to purchase it when I found it. (I painted the car)

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 24/04/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By Smaug
Wow, Mol! shocked2 ...okay you beat me, have to hide my two Helmets goodnight
Thats a nice work Flying Tiger theme on the Helmet and I love the Tiger on your 3W.
Superb work!!!

No, No you deserve more credit than I. I just did a lot of footwork to find my helmet, you created yours.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 24/04/15 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By TimG
I think if you paint or put stickers on a helmet it invalidates the CE homologation. So perhaps not a good idea for your bike lid. Fine for M3W where its not compulsory wear & is more for looks & weather protection.

Actually race car drivers have their helmets painted all the time, and I see stickers a lot. I don't think it influences the safety qualification, but then I am in the US, so it might be differnet eleswhere.
Posted By: Jays

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 25/04/15 05:47 AM

I think it depends on what the helmet is made of Mol. The cheaper polycarbonate helmets can be damaged due to the solvents in some paints and stickers, the composite helmets don't have the same problem.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 25/04/15 06:49 AM

Mol the glue on stickers or the paint can adversely affect the shell. Perhaps race drivers use an approved paint. Working offshore years ago guys used to compete to see who could get most service company stickers on their safety helmet. These days that is not allowed, you may see a name marker nothing more & companys don't give out stickers.

Tim

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 25/04/15 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By Mol
Originally Posted By TimG

Actually race car drivers have their helmets painted all the time, and I see stickers a lot. I don't think it influences the safety qualification, but then I am in the US, so it might be differnet eleswhere.

Right about the paint Tim, you can not use acrilic paint for example, it penetrates the Helmet and abuses the Fiberglas shell. The trick is to use Lexan paint which is used for RC-cars...that paint is not penetrating the underneat laquer either Fiberglas. it just stick on and admits to do some vintage scratchings in the painted object thumbs
Posted By: kwb

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/05/15 07:32 PM

Out of the blue the other day austrian police invited me to several checks (in a quiet suburban street):
- a "sound check" of the M3W: passed (3dB too much)
- a check of registration type, all that threewheeler stuff: passed
- check of wearing a motorcycle helmet: passed
- check of all lights etc.: passed
- check for no alcohol (the always do this): passed

Today a stone sized like a cherry hit my head at 90kmh, tarmac street, must have been from another car coming the other way - I was very grateful to wear a helmet.

That's why I prefer to wear a helmet, no matter how I look.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/05/15 07:39 PM

Wow ... at 90 kmh that's a nasty hit.

I have been stopped once by the police here, but they don't seem to really know what rules apply. They had their discussions about helmets and seatbelts and front license plates and drivers license requirements but they soon realized I was ahead of them in the knowledge of the rarely needed to know rules and regulations about ... tricycles! So I was off on my way with them still scratching their heads.

One thing worries me though, with my particular car. I remember as if it was today, my heart fell for the Brooklands in the same exact second Nick Baker (MMC) started one up. That exhaust noise was wonderful.

And this short conversation took place:

Me - Is that (noise) even legal????
NB - Well, the homologation was with the regular exhausts ...
Me - I see ...

laugh2

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/05/15 08:43 PM

May is here and warming up. Will be donning the helmet soon in anticipation of June bug strikes. One of those at 60 mph will make your day.

On the legal side, it is registered as a motorcycle, inspected as a motorcycle (lightly as in wheels are attached lights and blinkers work) but treated like a car. Helmet not required but wear the seatbelt. Emissions are not tested. VIN # checked.

On the practical side, it is ignored. Most of the time I don't bother with the belt as, in all truthiness, if I hit something hard or something hits me hard, it is probably all over. Modifications to the engine and drivetrain can be all over the place and no one cares. That is a big business in the states.
Posted By: kwb

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/05/15 08:57 PM

Discussions with police e.g. at half an hour past midnight in one of our wine-growing regions in the +4 normally ended in long discussions about how old the car is and how it drives, how it compares to new cars etc., nothing else.

But last time the two policemen were really fit, they seemed to know quite a lot about vehicles registered as motorcycles and everything that seems mandatory. I was very surprised they had a noise-meter on board (what is the real name of these things?) and knew that the result of the measurement is very much dependent on the way the measurement is done (e.g. absorbing/reflecting walls in the vicinity).

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/05/15 09:21 PM

They are often known as decibel meters, which can be abreviated to db meter.

I hope I never encounter one innocent

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/05/15 12:20 PM

Why Pete ...?
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/05/15 12:40 PM

Why Pete ...?

he'd be shouting and swearing too loudly

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/05/15 12:41 PM

Nothing to do with the noise of the car

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 08/05/15 02:29 PM

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/06/15 07:15 AM

I had a discussion with Borghi the other day on the subject of helmets in the M3W in Italy.

He confirmed that by law both a helmet and seatbelts must be used. The M3W is not homologated to comply with the requirements of a safety cage in Italy. The authority was specifically asked if the fitting of a higher roll bar (as for Australia) would suffice: the reply was no because there was no proof (as in crash tests etc) that the rest of the frame was sufficiently strong to ensure that the roll bar would not collapse. I can well imagine that the Australian homologation testing would not be accepted by the Italian bureaucracy.

If a two or three wheeler is fitted with a passenger safety cage and seatbelts the obligation of wearing a helmet is waved, however in the case of a three wheeler in which a helmet must be used there is no obligation for seat belts unless the three wheeler has been homologated with seat belts fitted.

All this means that when driving an M3W in Italy both driver and passenger must use both a helmet and seatbelts.

If you do not use a helmet you risk not only a fine but having the car towed away. Depends a bit on how nasty the police feel like being. If you do get stopped it is more likely to satisfy the curiosity of the cop but I would not take the risk.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/06/15 09:32 AM

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was recommended not to use a seat belt while wearing a helmet , as the extra weight could result in neck injuries in the event of an accident .
Posted By: DocNik

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 03/06/15 10:48 AM

The risk of getting hurt is much greater without the belt.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 03/06/15 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By DocNik

Otherwise they would not buckle up in race cars when wearing helmets ....

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 03/06/15 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By DocNik

Certainly. The law (that does not require a seatbelt on trikes) was made for three wheelers where the rider/driver is not enclosed in a cockpit and more likely to go rolling down the road in the event of an accident. In the case of the M3W I would always wear the seatbelt for safety and I also think a helmet is a good idea whatever the law may say.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 04/06/15 05:43 PM

Notting for me
Freedom

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 04/06/15 08:38 PM

Tte dure grin2
Posted By: PaulV

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/07/15 04:27 PM

Is there a list somewhere of countries vs M3W regulations? i.e. if I were to drive an M3W to France or Spain or Germany would I need a motorbike license, helmet, etc?

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/07/15 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By PaulV
Is there a list somewhere of countries vs M3W regulations? i.e. if I were to drive an M3W to France or Spain or Germany would I need a motorbike license, helmet, etc?

Well lets do a list by our own....I will begin a new topic so everybody can participate cowboy

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/07/15 09:39 PM

I didn't wear a helmet in France and wasn't pull, although I do tend to wear an open faced helmet for comfort unless its very warm. If no helmet at least safety glasses.
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/07/15 10:34 PM

We never wore any helmets during our French trip & no-one bothered.

Have to say I'm not a lover of crash helmets when belted in. It's not much different from a four wheeled Morgan, with just a higher glass panel to look through, so sunnies or safety specs/goggles suffice quite adequately.

Insects bounce off the forehead at times & grit can be felt at times, but it's never anything much and nothing to be concerned about. It's so much nicer to be able to smile at people when you catch their glances, and a bobble hat is fine for colder drives.

Vintage Bentley drivers don't wear crash helmets or seatbelts, so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

If it's safety you're after, you've bought the wrong vehicle..

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/07/15 10:42 PM

+1

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/07/15 06:29 AM

Most of the time I do not wear a helmet in Austria and most of the cops do not know (or do not care) how to classify the M3W. So far they were rather interested on the age, technical specs and the price. Besides of that: a Helmet is mandatory and a motorcycle license is required too.
Posted By: WilsonLaidlaw

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/08/15 03:31 PM

I just bought this to wear in my M3W. Available from boysranfast.com in Portugal.

Attached File
Motoring Cap.jpg  (211 downloads)
Posted By: PhilipNZ

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/08/15 08:40 PM

That is super cool

OMG I love that shop, hello credit card!
Posted By: WilsonLaidlaw

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/08/15 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By PhilipNZ
That is super cool

Luis Avedo who runs the business is a lovely guy and very helpful. He forgot to include the extra lenses with my hat (smoked and yellow), so immediately sent them off priority airmail to me.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/08/15 12:55 PM

Well I now can add matching anthracite Rider and Lady New York caps to my list of accessories and Wilson to my list of bad influences. Kindest thanks.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 04/08/15 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By WilsonLaidlaw
I just bought this to wear in my M3W. Available from boysranfast.com in Portugal.

I went for the simpler one as I've already spent a heap on goggles and it's more for the cap than eyewear. And Jay Leno has one cheers

And a New Yorker for swmbo

Attached picture BRF.jpg
Posted By: Bunny

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 04/08/15 08:44 AM

That is super cool

Agreed, boysranfast.com is awesome. This caught my eye.

I'm sure swmbo would say it's an improvement....

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 04/08/15 09:13 AM

Ill stick with a standard helmet if it's all the same.
Posted By: mapman

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 16/08/15 02:39 PM

Reminds me of a Great War gas mask!
Posted By: Roger-Cheshire

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 16/08/15 06:43 PM

Looks like a gimp mask. Not that I know anything about them...
Posted By: NeilL

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 16/08/15 07:28 PM

rofl

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 16/08/15 08:00 PM

+1

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 26/08/15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By 4/4Boy
rofl

+1
Posted By: ItsJustMe

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 19/10/15 04:44 PM

What colour leather head gear do you prefer and where did you get it?

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 19/10/15 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By ItsJustMe
What colour leather head gear do you prefer and where did you get it?

I thought this was a thread about helmets hide

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 21/10/15 02:50 PM

I guess no one wants to talk any more about their head gear...

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 21/10/15 06:36 PM

I bought from the Morgan Shop a breeze breaker, beanie, leather helmet and Davida Jet helmet. So far I've only worn the Davida once and none of the others in almost 1000km. Most of my driving has been inner city and the occasional blast on the motorway. I wore the Davida once to test for future open road touring and it is very snug, quiet and comforting. But for most of my driving, safety sunglasses and the occasional driving hat suffices.

I also bought the Morgan Shop leather Spada jackets which are really nice and I wear quite a bit. The most important thing is some good shoes and most of the time I wear a pair of OMP's. I can wear my work shoes but they do catch on the outside edge andI have to be careful.
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 03/11/15 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By John V6
With my 4/4 & +4 with aeros I always used either goggles or safety glasses. A bee in the eye at 20 mph on a bike in the 70s taught me not to risk no protection.

I had a mate who, during out teenage biking years, had a bee or wasp hit him, drop in his lap and stung him on his testicle..!! Honestly. We hoofed him down to the local A&E on pillion. Still laugh now.. and then say a silent thank you..

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 04/11/15 09:30 AM

That's why I wear trousers and - sometimes - pants too when I drive the Mog.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/15 09:25 AM

In the video "Gentleman Wager II" ; Jude Law is using a Chapal leather helmet (www.chapal.fr)...1400 euros.

Chapal has also a number of nice clothing, like shoes, etc.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/15 11:37 AM

Chacal is a good Mark but is expensive

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/15 06:58 PM

I've now worn the Davida helmet a few times and it certainly makes the longer/night trips more pleasant. Our BoysRanFast hats get a lot of use too but the leather helmets will forever remain in the bag.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/15 08:31 PM

Chapal are not "Chacal" but a "luxury" brand so they are expensive but you get nice handmade product.
Morgan is not a cheap brand anyway...

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 21/11/15 11:43 PM

Picked up a Shoei J-cruise lid to pick up my new M3W today. Cold but sunny ride back, very impressed by the clarity of the visor. Quite pricey but combined with a fleece snood and scarf kept my head and face warm! Quite noisy* though - will consider earplugs too next time.

* probably a function of the car and speed rather than a helmet complaint!
Posted By: comet

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/12/15 08:11 AM

In Switzerland, I could drive around the M3W without helmet. But from my motorcycling I know, little objects (stones, branches) CAN actually hit you and leave serious injuries!

For me personlly, some head protection is a must. But please no helmet. And please not one of those leather caps.

I have found the "Ribcap". Ribcaps protect - not as good as a helmet maybe, but a lot more than an ordinary cap. Thanks to sewn-in protectors. Soft, viscoelastic protectors instead of a hard shell. They reshape themselves and so absorb the impact energy. The products are mainly sold to cyclists and for any winter sport. They come in various shapes, colours and in summer as well as winter qualities.

Posted By: swissghost

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/12/15 06:19 PM

ich kenne die dinger...hab se mal anprobiert. ziemlich bequem! aber irgendwie nicht mein ding. ich fahr mit ner massgeschneiderten fliegerkappe. leder natürlich. unglaublich komfortabel und leicht. bei jedem wetter...und meine jedes wetter!!! aber eben, die geschmäcker sind verschieden und über geschmack lässt sich bekanntlich ja nicht streiten! laugh2

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/12/15 06:28 PM

We wore our leather helmets the other day in a Christmas parade. They were surprisingly comfortable and quiet. I might rethink using them. My wife looked gorgeous, I still looked silly
Posted By: Budster

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/12/15 07:05 PM

We wore our leather helmets the other day in a Christmas parade. They were surprisingly comfortable and quiet. I might rethink using them. My wife looked gorgeous, I still looked silly

Philip.

Pictures please? camera

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/12/15 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By Budster

Philip.

Pictures please? camera

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/323772/Re:_Have_Your_Driven_you_M3W_T#Post323772
Posted By: Budster

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/12/15 08:28 PM

Excellent. Missed your first posting.

Anywhere near Huia? (My son lives there with his fiancé)
Posted By: jhalfdime

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 17/02/16 10:26 PM

Drove Morgan 3 Wheelers (1928 Aero, then 2013 M3W) in NY state from 1998 until this fall without a helmet, stopped by state trooper in October who said MC license plate, must wear helmet. I've learned to pick my battles, so now wear a DOT half helmet and goggles. Safer, I guess, not as much fun, but not too restrictive. Drove once on public roads with a full face Bell helmet, I felt my vision was too restricted knowing the kinds of drivers on the road today!
Posted By: Ray

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 17/02/16 11:58 PM

Excuse slight drift. Wearing a helmet in a car can give you a split personality, I remember many years back,on a stage rally. When we came to the start of a timed stage we felt like macho heros as we strapped the helmets on. After finishing the stage, we had about one mile across town to the next stage, so we left the helmets on. I have never felt a bigger PRATT than sitting at a zebra crossing with Saturday shoppers pointing and laughing as they carried the shopping home...Car was a mk2 escort, crazy3
Posted By: KenShapiro

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 16/03/16 09:56 PM

Wearing a Sterkowski leather. About a week and a half so far and no ticket yet. Time will tell.
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 17/03/16 06:12 PM

I recommend the Caberg Rivera V2 open face, although so far only used on my bike.

The image tag will take you to the on-line German supplier I bought it from, arriving in just a few days and beating UK supplier prices despite VAT.

Very light and comfortable, easy to use strap and flip-up visor, plus additional internal sun visor operated by lever on the top. Think it looks great too in matt black.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 18/03/16 08:39 AM

Richard I have a Rivera V2 for winter use on my M3W. The blue version is very close to Sport Blue on my car. Its a good helmet, I chose for deep visor which protects all your face. The built in dark drop down visor is useful in low sun. Its not prone to misting on the move & you can lift visor one notch if it is.
I have a Caberg full face flip front which does mist in heavy rain. I would not wear an open face on a bike.

Tim.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/04/16 03:21 PM

Glad I had a helmet+visor on yesterday: big insect splatted against the plastic. Might have to look at some face masks for summer use!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/04/16 04:54 PM

Caberg is a combination of the Italian word for helmet, casco, and the place where they are made, Bergamo.

Excellent helmets, I have one that I use when on short local trips on a bike and I used it when I did the Caramulo regularity hill climb with the Mog.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/04/16 05:05 PM

I had a Caberg for years when I had my bikes.

A very good value well made helmet - mine had a very useful flip down dark visor for sunny days!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 03/04/16 05:13 PM

Cabergs look like spaceman helmets, too modern for a M3W. I opt for a leather covered half helmet, it looks more vintage and is DOT approved.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 03/04/16 09:49 PM

I don't know about that. This is the Riviera V3:

And if you want something even plainer this is the Uptown:

Both have the very useful flip down sun visor.
Posted By: hbatts

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 04/04/16 06:22 PM

Good if it is SNELL approved also

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/04/16 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By Gambalunga
I don't know about that.

I wasn't offering it as mere opinion...it DOES look like a NASA approved helmet, and to my eye, far too modern a look for an M3W.

It's funny to me to wear a helmet at all, we all know we're worm food in the most unwelcome event of any crash where blunt force is involved..which is just about anything more than a parking lot tap..

...in which case, it should at least be sympathetic to the overall style of the car..
Posted By: Grockle

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/04/16 03:47 PM

Sneezing is a problem. Had a couple of 'white outs' during cold weather. Standing in line to pay for petrol feels awkward. Not type approved as far as I know. Needs extra long headband for GoPro but otherwise if you feel safer in a helmet, recommended. I have had a Morgan M3W badge fitted since this was taken

Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/04/16 03:53 PM

Very Nice indeed

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/04/16 05:50 PM

On a hillclimb we had to wear helmets.
A Schuberth C3 and a Pilote helmet in action here:

Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/04/16 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By Grockle
Sneezing is a problem. Had a couple of 'white outs' during cold weather. Standing in line to pay for petrol feels awkward. Not type approved as far as I know. Needs extra long headband for GoPro but otherwise if you feel safer in a helmet, recommended. I have had a Morgan M3W badge fitted since this was taken

Flippin' brilliant. Love it. I did LOL

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/04/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By Eric Gill Sans

Flippin' brilliant. Love it. I did LOL

+1
Posted By: Grockle

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/04/16 07:56 AM

At night I tend to keep the internal lighting switched off in rural areas except to read the map..

Attached picture m3w.jpg
Attached picture web.jpg

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 06/04/16 09:52 AM

LOOOOOOL rofl ....Steampunk meets M3W ....terrific thumbs
Posted By: Inge

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 25/04/16 11:58 PM

Helmet - yes, most of the time, great sun/weather protection, especially as I get older. My Snell open face helmets have a problem with wind uplift, don't like a closed helmet in the 3 wheeler, bad visibility. Just ordered a Biltwell roundy looking open face with smoothly faired in visor, should be better, although I prefer Snell construction to the Biltwell polycarbonate plastic. I will let you know how it works out. Hopefully never have to test the plastic like I did with my MGA years ago.

Attached picture MGA UPSIDEDOWN.jpg

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 26/04/16 02:12 AM

Ouch - let's hope not!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/05/16 12:29 PM

So here's my take on helmets that provide the cudos to be worn in a M3W

A. Sporting the Cromwell Spitfire

B. The Bell Pits boss

C. Davida classic - this ones the 'Mike Hailwood' from their signature range

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/05/16 03:08 PM

Three very smart helmets.

I used a Davida Classic and a Davida Jet when I had my M3W - and if it was freezing a Full Face.
Posted By: Draggin

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 12/07/16 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By Jays

What brand is that one Jay? It really looks the part!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 12/07/16 11:00 PM

We have 2 Morgan Davida Jets for longer trips. No visors, just goggles. They make it very quiet yet still able to talk at 100k. And we only have the superlow wow-rare-collectable screens

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/07/16 04:03 AM

Î just ordered two Rosso helmets
Hand made at Marseille
Beautifull work
Patrick Rosso is an indépendant consultant who works for big helmets factory
Not so expensive

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/07/16 04:43 PM

Hand made at Marseille
Beautifull work
Not so expensive

Do they have a site?

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 13/07/16 04:46 PM

Does anyone make a reasonably priced Stirling Moss style helmet?
Posted By: The Seeker

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 04/08/16 03:04 AM

Nothing for me
Freedom

I'm with Raphy FREEDOM ! thumbs cheers

But if I found one of these, I'd be tempted ... evil

Attached picture Rockteer-1991-Film.jpg

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/08/16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By Draggin
Hand made at Marseille
Beautifull work
Not so expensive

Do they have a site?

On Facebook

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/08/16 07:41 PM

Question regarding Davida helmets:
From my motorbike times I am used to select a helmet that really fist my head.
I tried Davida because of the perfect design but was very disappointed on the poor fit.
Do other people have similar limitations when it comes to helmets?
(Schuberth and Shoei helmets fit me nicely, most others don't)

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/08/16 08:45 PM

Absolutely, some work really well and fit perfectly, others sadly cannot be used.

Davida Classic is a great fit but their jet doesn't.

Bell, Agv, Kbc (Harley) & Cromwell all work but Premier doesn't

Funny old business.
Posted By: JamesB

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 12/08/16 02:49 AM

I wonder if you could take a regular open-faced helmet and have a leather shop cover it in a nice, antiqued leather for not too much. The net might be significantly less than some of the custom helmets.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 12/08/16 07:36 AM

On a 150 mile motorway trip the other day I proved beyond doubt that earplugs and a motorcycle helmet offer by far the greatest reduction in bevel box noise innocent
Posted By: Inge

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 19/09/16 02:35 AM

I agree on the ear plugs, I need to save what little hearing I have left. Bevel box noise not really an issue with me.
Posted By: NickValentine

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 19/09/16 12:59 PM

I've noticed that with a half helmet by the time the bevel box starts to get noisy, the wind noise overpowers it, and it ends up being tied with engine noise with ear plugs in. May try with a 3/4 helmet

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 22/09/16 12:37 PM

Pulled over and ticketed for speeding. Sheriff was almost apologetic about handing me the ticket. Said he did not even wish to deal with the fact that I was not wearing a seat belt or a helmet. He was very interested in the car. He and I both agreed that if you hit something at speed or if something hits you you are probably done.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/09/16 06:37 PM

Have been testing different helmets to see how they change the driving experience.

Took the M3W on a longer highway drive with a full-face Shoei RF helmet. It was the most quiet and might be the choice for longer drives in cold Pacific Northwest weather--especially if it might be in the rain.

This particular helmet has a Bluetooth hub that let's me use ear buds and link to the GPS and/or a cell phone (music & calls). Positive: Most quiet experience & best protection from the elements and any impact. The downside is that it removes me from the very experience I bought the M3W for.

Tried my open face HJC. Again, quiet. The open face brings back some of the experience. But better in good weather/moderate temperatures. Not so good for cold/wet weather.

Since I used to fly an open cockpit airplane (www.rf5b.com), I have goggles and a leather flying helmet. Tried those on a longer highway ride. They seem to provide the most access to the open roadster experience while providing enough protection from the elements to make traffic noise and colder weather less distracting. Downside -- I feel a bit theatrical wearing them. Could be worse.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/09/16 06:50 PM

JamesB when I was feeling a bit self-conscious about my headwear , one of my sons laughed and pointed out that if you are driving a motorised tricycle, what you wear on your head is irrelevant.!

Btw I agree about flying helmets being far preferable to any type of crash helmet .

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/09/16 07:00 PM

Embrace the theatre!

Morgan ThreeWheeler-6328 by Calum Fraser, on Flickr

but...
2014 Road Trip -8528 by Calum Fraser, on Flickr
Posted By: The Seeker

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/09/16 07:48 PM

Well played, Calum ! You owe me a new lap top because I just spit my coffee out on mine ... rofl thumbs cheers

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 28/09/16 07:56 PM

comforting to know that rear tire is good in snow!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 14/10/16 05:44 PM

The Seattle area is predicted to have the most wind and rain over the next few days than it may have seen in 10 years.

Maybe swimming masks and snorkels should be the proper wear for the M3W.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 09/11/16 08:19 PM

Finally got my "Stirling Moss Everoak" style knockoff helmet, I have to say it is the most comfortable thing i have worn in the Morgan so far!

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: Dan_Lockwood

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/16 01:24 PM

DOT?

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/16 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By Dan_Lockwood
DOT?
Fixed visor? I don't think I even need to see the inside of that thing to guess no.
Posted By: Dan_Lockwood

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/16 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By NickValentine
Originally Posted By Dan_Lockwood
DOT?
Fixed visor? I don't think I even need to see the inside of that thing to guess no.

You're probably correct.

I still have my first helmet. It's a McHal full face from '66. It's Snell approved, but there were no DOT ratings back then.

So how many people replace their helmets if they drop it or if it's over 5 years old? These are the new guideline recommendations by DOT and other safety organizations.

I have a Shoei flip up full face that I bought back in '95. I saw it in the movie True Lies. The young daughter's boy friend rides up on his crotch rocket and flips up his lower portion of the helmet; I was sold right then and there.

I paid over $500 for that helmet and still use it today. It's in excellent shape without any degrading of the foam or liner. I cannot see dumping a $500 helmet because it's over 5 years old.

Now my old McHal full face I bought in '66 has the liner crumbling and the foam is gooie. I keep it because it was my first helmet. I was 15 when I bought it and I actually slept in it the first night. What a nerd I was back then. Now I only take naps in my helmets...
Posted By: JVS

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/16 04:33 PM

RedThree,

just add ski's under the front tires along with that studded snow tire on the rear and your all set for winter action!

may have to winterize your helmet too.
Posted By: MOG42

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/16 08:54 PM

There is probably more risk when wearing a helmet than when not. In the event of hitting something at anything much more than 30 - the additional weight of the helmet is more likely to break your neck. This is why HANS or R3 was invented, it limits the neck extension in the event of s crash. its not the same as a bike where the whole body is free to move, in the car if you wear a seatbelt and a helmet the risk just moves somewhere else. I remember reading that a car with a spike in the centre of the steering wheel is safer than an airbag because it makes you drive very carefully!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 10/11/16 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By JVS
RedThree,

just add ski's under the front tires along with that studded snow tire on the rear and your all set for winter action!

may have to winterize your helmet too.

That is my winter helmet! Finest sheepskin!

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 11/11/16 08:33 AM

Mog42 have you warned Jeremy Clarkson & all those other testers of fast cars not to wear a helmet with belts unless they have Hans?

Tim
Posted By: skullmog

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 20/11/16 09:00 PM

Sheepskin flying helmet most of the time .Union flag open face for longer journeys,bit quieter on motorway!
Posted By: comet

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 15/05/17 11:54 AM

guys - with the retro-wave spilling over the planet, I feel like the choice for jet helmets has never been bigger before.

but when I take a closer look, most don't seem to be equipped with a goggle strap holder in the back/beck area of the helmet.

how do you guys handle this? I get get a lot of comfort from such a strap holder. and I don't risk my goggle fly away on a traffic light stop, after putting them "up".

any ides? after market solutions?

thanks!
Posted By: SOLMorgan

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 29/06/17 09:04 PM

I have just been given a beautiful Moto Davida 50's style skid lid and Aviators beats my sheepskin hat 😘
Posted By: julespilot

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 30/06/17 09:42 PM

While I agree smart to wear a helmet at speed, came across this today while researching state law ... if I'm reading this correctly, don't need to wear a helmet in a M3W in CA (USA):

California Vehicle Code 27803
(f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed (define fully enclosed??) three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length (M3W = 10.58 ft long) and not less than four feet in width (M3W = 5.64 ft wide), and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more (M3W = 1157 lbs), if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/07/17 05:36 AM

We have M3W logo'd Davida Jets from the Morgan shop for the open road trips and love them. Only for the reasons of cutting down noise and protection from stones. In a crash we know we're screwed anyway
Posted By: julespilot

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/07/17 05:12 PM

yep, we have half helmets for trips (learnt my lesson years ago when i had my leather jacket partially unzipped on a hot day while riding a motorbike, hit a bumble bee that pile drove through the t-shirt i was wearing and into my chest) ... just making sure I was legal if I don't feel like wearing one while pootling around town.
Posted By: ArchieWetleg

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/07/17 08:03 AM

After 4 months of ownership I have bought a helmet for fast roads and motorways. I set out to buy a Davida Jet for the quality and leather, but needing glasses for driving concluded that goggles were too much trouble.
I was shown a Shoei J-O which has a built-in visor, it fits me better than the Davida and is lighter.
The visor disappears up into the helmet and is super clear, replacements are about £38.
Shoei J-O - Matt Brown
Multi-composite contemporary yet classic look.

Posted By: 2Sharp

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/07/17 02:36 PM

I think buying helmets for the Morgan is addictive. I am less than 1 month in and now have 4 different helmets. If it was not for helmets being required in VA and the fact the roll hoop is right behind your head I probably would not wear a helmet. The latest purchase is a Voss carbon fiber half shell with a pull down visor. The visor is nice for when there is a lot of sun. I have never been a half shell kind of guy but it gives the best ride experience for me and is dot approved and should protect your head in the event it hits the hoop in an accident. The built in visor types are really cool but had a hard time finding a DOT approved and light (i.e. Carbon fiber). I also like the bell 500 so will use that for the kids.
Posted By: truckin-on

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/07/17 03:57 PM

I bought a pair of Bell Pit Boss 1/2 helmets to use on the "open road". I really like them - they help with a bit of noise reduction, they are light, DOT approved, built-in tinted flip-up hidden visor (a clear one is available also), and comfortable. Also, two of them will fit under the boot if you don't want to wear them, but want to bring them along.
Posted By: WW1 ACE

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 02/07/17 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By julespilot
While I agree smart to wear a helmet at speed, came across this today while researching state law ... if I'm reading this correctly, don't need to wear a helmet in a M3W in CA (USA):

(f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed (define fully enclosed??) three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length (M3W = 10.58 ft long) and not less than four feet in width (M3W = 5.64 ft wide), and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more (M3W = 1157 lbs), if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

This is the new law that Elio got passed in many states so that people don't need a helmet in their fully enclosed vehicle. The M3W is not fully enclosed and therefore unfortunately this won't apply to us.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 03/07/17 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By WW1 ACE
Originally Posted By julespilot

This is the new law that Elio got passed in many states so that people don't need a helmet in their fully enclosed vehicle. The M3W is not fully enclosed and therefore unfortunately this won't apply to us.

Well, as "fully enclosed" isn't defined anywhere that I know of, a reasonable view is that if you sit IN it rather than ON it, and it has sides and seat belts, you're OK w/o a helmet. My M3W is at least as fully enclosed as my '55 MG TF...

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 03/07/17 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By ArchieWetleg
After 4 months of ownership I have bought a helmet for fast roads and motorways. I set out to buy a Davida Jet for the quality and leather, but needing glasses for driving concluded that goggles were too much trouble.
I was shown a Shoei J-O which has a built-in visor, it fits me better than the Davida and is lighter.
The visor disappears up into the helmet and is super clear, replacements are about £38.
Shoei J-O - Matt Brown
Multi-composite contemporary yet classic look.

Caberg produce the similar Riviera & Uptown. Both have a flip up visor on the outside of the shell & a flip down smoke visor inside the shell. I have the Riviera which is almost mist free in rain just lift it a bit when stopped.

Tim

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 03/07/17 09:59 PM

+1 thumbs

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 05/07/17 12:52 PM

We have M3W logo'd Davida Jets from the Morgan shop for the open road trips and love them. Only for the reasons of cutting down noise and protection from stones. In a crash we know we're screwed anyway

Maybe it doesn't do anything in accidents at highway speeds. Might save your life if you're T-Boned at 20mph. I look at it like one of those flimsy helmets they give you when you parachute. Can't save you if the chute doesn't open, but it might save you if your head hits the plane on the way out.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 05/07/17 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By charlestkirby
Shoei j-cruise is my helmet. I recommend it.
Fully water proof Flip up perspex face visor. Also available is a double glaxed section for cold days.
Pop down solar lens .
There are variable cooling ducts too.

Been riding bikes almost 50 years. Love my J-Cruise. Never wear a helmet in my Morgan though.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 06/07/17 02:56 AM

Ken you are not required to wear a helmet in Maryland

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 06/07/17 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By 2Sharp

Actually it's required:
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/businesses/bulletins/Bulletinautocycles.pdf

"Helments must be worn, unless the vehicle has an enclosed cab."

I doubt a cop pulling you over would know though.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 06/07/17 03:53 PM

Not in the M3W.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 06/07/17 03:55 PM

Actually it's required:

It's no longer a motorcycle in Maryland... it's an auto cycle. No helmet. And before that, it past muster as an "enclosed cab", no different than a Miata.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 06/07/17 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By KenShapiro

Actually it's required:

It's no longer a motorcycle in Maryland... it's an auto cycle. No helmet. And before that, it past muster as an "enclosed cab", no different than a Miata.

Those are the autocycle laws I linked to and quoted from. I would not have counted it as an enclosed cab though. Is there somewhere in writing where it specifically spells out what an enclosed cab is?
Posted By: rolsmith

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 06/07/17 09:32 PM

Being someone who lacks any protective pigmentation aside from the occasional freckle, a helmet is as much for protection from the environment as it is for the unforeseen bump on the noggin.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 07/07/17 02:38 AM

Actually it's required:

Those are the autocycle laws I linked to and quoted from. I would not have counted it as an enclosed cab though. Is there somewhere in writing where it specifically spells out what an enclosed cab is?

Just my daughter the Baltimore County police officer.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 07/07/17 03:23 AM

I'd consider that a reliable source!

And I think the general description of "enclosed" would be "sit in" rather than "sit on" like a motorcycle. I would argue that my M3W is t least as "enclosed" as my '55 MG TF.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 07/07/17 11:24 AM

Just my daughter the Baltimore County police officer.

I think I found some enlightening guidelines. Throughout the nhtsa guidelines there are references to enclosed cabs and full body-enclosed cabs. No definition of either:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/pdf/811458.pdf

With the pertinent part:
"98 The requirement to use a safety helmet does not apply if the motorcycle has three wheels, is powered by an
electric motor, has a full body‐enclosed cab or has a seat belt assembly or a child restraint system which must be
used when the vehicle is in motion. HI ST § 286‐81(c). Persons Under 7 Years Old: A motorcycle operator shall
not carry a child younger than 7 years old on a motorcycle unless such vehicle: (1) has three wheels; (2) is powered
by an electric motor; (3) has a full body‐enclosed cab or (4) has a seat belt assembly or a child restraint system
which must be used when the vehicle is in motion"

Full body-enclosed cab the M3W certainly is not, but the Maryland autocycle law doesn't use the term full body-enclosed cab. I think it can be ridden without the helmet.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 07/07/17 02:29 PM

Uh huh.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 07/07/17 03:52 PM

I bought the Bell Pitman helmet (white) and another generic black helmet, both DOT approved. In Vermont the troopers don't care and a look of pain passes on their faces as they try to figure this out. New Hampshire doesn't require helmets at all. New York and Massachusetts do require them so if you start hopping state lines, which is easy, then it becomes an issue.

As a lark I left Vermont, crossed into New York, drove south to hit Massachusetts then came back through New Hampshire. I didn't even rack up 90 miles!
Posted By: nestor59310

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 29/12/17 05:27 PM

The helmet is not mandatory on three wheels in France but I bought this helmet for long journeys and when it's too cold to ride with a cap ... :

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 27/05/18 03:39 AM

When I first dragged the car out of hibernation I wore the helmet out of a desperate need for warmth. Now, that the bugs have awakened, I wear it out of a sense of self defense!

One June bug, in the middle of the forehead, at sixty mph can make your day!
Posted By: Bunny

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 27/05/18 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By Michael H
One June bug, in the middle of the forehead, at sixty mph can make your day!

laugh2roflrofllaugh2
Posted By: DocNik

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 27/05/18 02:51 PM

Agree on the bugs! I have a half helmet and wear goggles, but might consider getting a helmet with a visor.

Just after donning the helmet for a longer high way run, a couple of years ago, I clipped a bird, believe it or not...
Posted By: andyjazz

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 13/06/18 06:51 AM

As i’m yet to Dynomat my interior I find that a helmet is wonderful instant soundproofing against the inherent knocks & rattles! And good ear protection. Always wear it on anything other than a purely local nip to the shops.
Spent rather a lot on a Hedon Hedonist open-face lid - but well worth it.
Posted By: stantheman

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 13/06/18 12:35 PM

At last!! Someone else has bought Hedon. Got mine in Moss Green to go with my Brooklands. A great product, as you say,"well worth it".
Posted By: rcmatt

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 19/02/19 04:05 PM

Here in Virginia it is registered as a motorcycle and there is a mandatory helmet law. I wear my Marley full face helmet, and it is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned.

Once had a bug go into the side of a shorty helmet. NO FUN
Posted By: LightSpeed

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 22/02/19 03:45 AM

Helmets can stop a lot of facial trauma from things like big bug, oranges and lemons thrown by children, rocks from multiple sources, car parts falling off of, vehicles (like wheels) and then the possible rollover. I have had all those things hit me while riding bikes or top down vehicles. Find a good helmet with good visibility and use it. We had an 18wheeler tire and wheel bounce over our Sprite at 70 mph that was thrown off a rig headed the opposite direction; we were very lucky it bounded over us rather than plowing into the windscreen.
Helmets are a good thing, not necessarily comfortable but cheap insurance for small incidents.
Posted By: Knucklefreak

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 21/08/19 02:56 PM

In the USA Morgan M3W is imported as a motorcycle therefore the helmet laws of the state you are in must be followed or you will be given a citation.

While not required by law everywhere it should still be MANDATED BY COMMON SENSE to wear a helmet in a M3W as they have roll hoops. The problem with all roll hoops, roll
bars, and roll cages in street vehicles is they are the ideal shape and size to become the "blunt instrument" of detective fiction fame and bludgeon you to death in an accident. In race
cars this is avoided by padding bars, helmets, and quite complex restraint systems to prevent body parts, especially the head from contacting the roll bars. The hoops on the M3W
are ideally placed to crack your skull if you are hit from the rear. There are many other situations where this could happen. Therefore, I must emphasize, even though I hate the
uncomfortable, hot, stinking things WEAR A HELMET.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 23/08/19 02:23 AM

Wear a white helmet and it will help reflect the suns heat. It also aides in nighttime visibility.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 23/08/19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Knucklefreak
In the USA Morgan M3W is imported as a motorcycle therefore the helmet laws of the state you are in must be followed or you will be given a citation.

While not required by law everywhere it should still be MANDATED BY COMMON SENSE to wear a helmet in a M3W as they have roll hoops. The problem with all roll hoops, roll
bars, and roll cages in street vehicles is they are the ideal shape and size to become the "blunt instrument" of detective fiction fame and bludgeon you to death in an accident. In race
cars this is avoided by padding bars, helmets, and quite complex restraint systems to prevent body parts, especially the head from contacting the roll bars. The hoops on the M3W
are ideally placed to crack your skull if you are hit from the rear. There are many other situations where this could happen. Therefore, I must emphasize, even though I hate the
uncomfortable, hot, stinking things WEAR A HELMET.

There is a company that makes very nice matching leather headrests that attach to the hoop to keep it from being a brain scrambler. With the hoop addressed I say each it’s own on the helmet. By the way state laws may differ re motorcycle vs auto cycle so you should double check. I think there is an argument in va that an auto cycle you don’t necessarily have to wear a helmet.
Posted By: Bitsobrits

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 23/08/19 10:25 PM

In the state of Iowa, (were there are only a handful of Morgans, so who cares;) ) the Morgan is classified as an auto cycle, and therefore no helmet required, though I usually wear one for the reasons cited the above posts.

Not to say an auto cycle designation always equals no helmet. State laws are famously variable.

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 01/09/19 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedThree
Originally Posted by nippymog
+1
Sheepskin flying helmet in the winter, bare head with Factor 50 in the summer when warm (surprisingly often) or leather flying helmet when a bit cooler. I wear glasses so goggles tend to go on once speed gets above about 30 or 40mph.
Would consider wearing a helmet where required to by law!

Which raises a thought; could we do with a list (sticky post?) of which countries require a helmet by law in the three wheeler and actually might enforce it for a visitor or indeed a resident?

Here in the usa it is state by state.
Posted By: Marmota

Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? - 25/09/19 12:26 PM

Waiting patiently for my M3W to be manufactured and shipped to Madrid, I've being looking for a helmet too…

When you drive in the motorway or small roads and see the amount of insects splashed into my car's windshield, I'm convinced I should wear a helmet (sorry but I'm not a hungry Mexican who likes eating grasshoppers and other kind of bugs).

And a few months ago my windshield was hit by a Stone lifted by a truck in Front of me, and broke… so unless you drive the city, I guess it's really a safety rule to wear a helmet!

There is an amazing shop nearby my place ( https://motourban.es/es/44-casco-jet ) with auge amount of choices of jet helmets.

The ones I'm about to buy are the Nexx X70 Groovy, a jet helmet with full face screen and sunscreen too. Beautiful soft genuine leather trim and they are prepared for intercom installation (very convenient to hear your smartphone GPS instructions, music or phone calls).

Here it is ( https://motourban.es/es/casco-jet/440-casco-nexx-x70-groovy-negro-mate-camel.html )

Posted By: Ron DeRosa

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 28/09/19 12:47 AM

I live in South Carolina, USA. I wear a leather flying helmet and goggles that fit over my glasses. The goggles come with interchangeable lenses, clear and tinted. Not too worried about a head knock as I don’t Drive aggressively. Agree that eye protection is a must. Also have a Snell approved helmet that I wear when riding either my BMW R1100RS or Ducati 900 CR. South Carolina has no helmet law.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 28/09/19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ron DeRosa
I live in South Carolina, USA. I wear a leather flying helmet and goggles that fit over my glasses. The goggles come with interchangeable lenses, clear and tinted. Not too worried about a head knock as I don’t Drive aggressively. Agree that eye protection is a must. Also have a Snell approved helmet that I wear when riding either my BMW R1100RS or Ducati 900 CR. South Carolina has no helmet law.

What goggles do you have that fit over glasses? And over what style of glasses?
Posted By: Robbie Mathisen

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 28/09/19 09:09 AM

LightSpeed, check out Nannini goggles. They have a model meant to go over glasses, provided they are not to big. Guess that has to be ckecked out in the flesh. But they also have models that can be fitted with a removable insert inside the goggle. So you can take the insert to your optic and get glasses to your prescription. Nice solution, but the total could be rather expensive. Or you could do as I do, wear contacts inside goggles...

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 28/09/19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Robbie Mathisen
LightSpeed, check out Nannini goggles. They have a model meant to go over glasses, provided they are not to big. Guess that has to be ckecked out in the flesh. But they also have models that can be fitted with a removable insert inside the goggle. So you can take the insert to your optic and get glasses to your prescription. Nice solution, but the total could be rather expensive. Or you could do as I do, wear contacts inside goggles...

Thanks Robbie, I shall investigate! Sadly, I cannot wear contacts since the biggest issue with my eyes is that I wear prisms combined with the normal eye decline with age. The prism makes it impossible to stay oriented in the eyeball and without the prism I see double. I see clearly in each eye but where is the object I am viewing is the question. It was pretty interesting in the military where I wore no glasses because I could hit the target as long as I knew which target to fire on😊. The machine gun was my best bet...
Posted By: Robbie Mathisen

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 29/09/19 07:32 AM

LightSpeed, there you go:
https://classicpartsltd.com/goggles/italian-classic-goggles/nannini-goggles.html
https://classicpartsltd.com/nannini-4v-prescription-lenses.html

Halcyon is a UK retailer, but I know they are available in the US as well. Good luck!

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 29/09/19 11:08 AM

Thanks Robbie
Posted By: Ron DeRosa

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 01/11/19 01:49 PM

Bought the goggles from Holden in the UK, made by Leon Jeantet. They call it the “Aviator Goggle. Don’t know how to respond to what size glasses. They’re sort of round, and the lens is about 1 ½” wide x2.
Posted By: rcmatt

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 01/11/19 02:28 PM

A few weeks back when I went to the DGR I wore my HD full face on the drive down, but wore my shorty for the ride. As it was a record hot day I started to wear my shorty for the 4.5 hour ride home. I forgot how uncomfortable a helmet like that is compared to my $$$ HD helmet. Half way home I changed to the full face despite the heat.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 12/01/20 01:30 AM

https://www.hjchelmets.us/product/is-33-ii-solid/ This is the helmet that my wife and I use and was a financial compromise from what I wanted, a Shoei with the same features a a bit more. We like them and it is easy to open the shield for ventilation and then it acts as a visor and you still have the internal pull down shade, very nice.

https://www.shoei-helmets.com/helmets/j-cruise-2.html This has PIN LOCK capability where the HJC does not. There are probably other differences but I have not had a J-Cruise II in my hands to compare.

https://vimeo.com/374775119

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 12/01/20 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by rcmatt
I forgot how uncomfortable a helmet like that is compared to my $$$ HD helmet.

It‘s not the price! E.g.: While I do love the design and vintage look of (expensive) Davida helmets they are not comfortable for me.
$$$ helmets do not guarantee a good and comfortable fit but usually they are much better than the other stuff.
An experience of Arai, Shoei or Schuberth helmets makes it hard to go back to budget producers.

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 13/02/20 03:53 PM

I'm happy with my Caberg Riviera very similar to HJC also with internal sunvisor & a bluetooth intercom is available. It does not seem prone to misting much. Dont wear it often only when very cold or likely to be wet, mostly I use leather helmet with goggles that have a built in sun visor. Not most elegant but visor very useful & I can wear my glasses
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Bundeswehr-DUST-GOGGLES-Germany-Army-Surplus-Military-Safety-Glasses/181808779508?epid=855169446&hash=item2a54a5d0f4:g:do4AAOSw~gRVrP~d
Posted By: Erwin G

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 14/02/20 08:28 PM

When it’s cold I’m using a leather flying helmet with goggles and in the summer just sunglasses. I buy al my droging gear by Greaycar.com. They are superb.
Posted By: Chocodent

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 18/02/20 07:41 AM

Hi Lightspeed, the Aviator Googles (by Jantet) are high end retro googles existing in various colours and models. the Pilot T2 model is specifically designed to wear glasses (the leather gasket is cut off at the spectacle temples level). I'm using this model and it works perfectly with my small round tortoiseshell glasses. The google glasses exist in different colours (transparent, yellow, sun, mirror..) and are relatively easy to change (at least no tools needed :)). Top quality googles worth the high price on the long run !

Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? - 19/02/20 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chocodent
Hi Lightspeed, the Aviator Googles (by Jantet) are high end retro googles existing in various colours and models. the Pilot T2 model is specifically designed to wear glasses (the leather gasket is cut off at the spectacle temples level). I'm using this model and it works perfectly with my small round tortoiseshell glasses. The google glasses exist in different colours (transparent, yellow, sun, mirror..) and are relatively easy to change (at least no tools needed :)). Top quality googles worth the high price on the long run !

Thank you Chocodent. For car shows and parades and maybe quick trips around town they sound great. For longer drives a full helmet to keep my skin out of the sun is mandatory. Melanoma has killed many family members and my first encounter with melanoma was in 1967; I try to pay attention to that detail.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News