Talk Morgan

Alternative mirrors

Posted By: planenut

Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 03:47 PM

My thanks to "Scott Morgan" for the details of these rear view mirrors, I saw them on his car and thought they looked good. Listed on Ebay as Lucas style chrome round exterior wing /door classic car mirror. Item 321698142306 and are £25 for a pair. They are slightly convex and give a wide view, best of all you can see what is behind you as they are not a blur on the move, like the originals were.

Posted By: Bunny

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 03:55 PM

innocent

Posted By: HJP

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 04:00 PM

They look perfect .
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 04:03 PM

Same mirror heads as the ones I've got for my 4 wheeler

They are great and so easy to adjust
Posted By: KenShapiro

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 04:56 PM

Simple replacement? Same "footprint" as the originals!
Posted By: Bunny

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 06:52 PM

redcard !!Thread Hijack Alert!! redcard

I saw this mirror at All Morgan Day and reckon that it's a neat solution when used in conjunction with the Fairbourne screen.

Anyone know what it's off or whether it's a 'special'?

Posted By: NeilL

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 06:55 PM

That's neat ..I think the mirror looks like one form many suppliers like Librands / demon tweeks etc

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By planenut

My thanks to "Scott Morgan" for the details of these rear view mirrors, I saw them on his car and thought they looked good. Listed on Ebay as Lucas style chrome round exterior wing /door classic car mirror. Item 321698142306 and are £25 for a pair. They are slightly convex and give a wide view, best of all you can see what is behind you as they are not a blur on the move, like the originals were.

That's one very smart car!is it Scotts?

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 06:58 PM

I think it's Planenuts ?

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 07:25 PM

It is my car. It's also not me driving it in Bunnys photo. I like the mirror in Bunnys next photo, any information on it?

Posted By: Draggin

Re: Alternative mirrors - 17/08/16 08:20 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inside-Interior-...k-/310688106859

Posted By: rockabilly john

Re: Alternative mirrors - 18/08/16 10:42 PM

What variant did you fit?
Vender says "This item does not fit Morgan 3-Wheeler 2015 -- [2014-2016] Convertible 2.0."
John.
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Alternative mirrors - 19/08/16 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By rockabilly john
What variant did you fit?
Vender says "This item does not fit Morgan 3-Wheeler 2015 -- [2014-2016] Convertible 2.0."
John.

I wouldn't read too much into that. They have left all Morgans out of compatability list.
Posted By: rockabilly john

Re: Alternative mirrors - 19/08/16 08:40 AM

OK. Thanks.
Posted By: DocNik

Re: Alternative mirrors - 28/08/16 02:32 PM

Actually the mirrors in the first pictures are the "Stainless and Chrome Round Wing or Door Mirror Pair M23", or Ebay #272156433556.

Just so that noone orders the wrong bits.

High quality and almost no vibrations, at least compared to the original ones. The left one is not convex which is a bother for LHD cars. Will see if I can switch the mirror heads over, or get another convex one. I interpreted the description as if they were both convex.

They look great on the car, though!

Re: Alternative mirrors - 28/08/16 03:13 PM

These ones on the eBay image link, and mentioned by planenut in the original post, are both convex.

Just fitted a pair, the mounting stem is only M8 though but with a large spreader washer. The near/passenger side one is a great improvement over the original. The drivers one although equally vibration free doesn't give such a good view directly behind the car, given the much shorter stem.

Might consider a central mirror as I have a Fairbourne screen.
Posted By: atalante83

Re: Alternative mirrors - 29/08/16 06:26 PM

I put it
Very happy with
Posted By: PaulV

Re: Alternative mirrors - 29/08/16 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By Richard Wood
...Might consider a central mirror as I have a Fairbourne screen.

Looking around... this seems the best candidate so far... Or this one...

Re: Alternative mirrors - 29/08/16 10:38 PM

Thanks for rear view mirror suggestions Paul but the one pictured by Bunnyboy looks the better fitment, replacing the existing upper securing screw on the Fairbourne central pillar.

Will search for source when I have time.

Re: Alternative mirrors - 30/08/16 07:27 PM

Thanks for rear view mirror suggestions Paul but the one pictured by Bunnyboy looks the better fitment, replacing the existing upper securing screw on the Fairbourne central pillar.

Will search for source when I have time.

Richard - agree - that one looks the best so far. I fancy a circular small mirror so will keep looking (scooter mirrors look a likely source!).
Posted By: greenteagod

Re: Alternative mirrors - 01/09/16 08:34 PM

I'd check those little screws as soon as I got it in. Chinese pot metal reproductions are usually running cheese grade screws that rust almost immediately. I do like the way they look, though it looks like they sit awfully low compared to stock. How far out of the field of view are they?
Posted By: Tim W

Re: Alternative mirrors - 02/09/16 07:36 PM

I have just fitted the mirrors as suggested by Planenut. They look very neat and work well on the nearside, but do not have so wide a field of view on the offside. Probably get used to that and at least they don't vibrate. So I fitted a rear view mirror on the Faibourne central pillar. Melvyn Rutter can supply this as a bolt on accessory, but didn't currently have any in stock, so they just sent me the mirror alone. Picture below is the packaging, for those who might want to source it.

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/fbavlu.jpg[/IMG

Dismantling is very simple, all that was needed was a stainless steel column turned up to go through the Fairbourne screen pillar. I opened the bolt hole in the windscreen to 6mm because that was the size of dome head nut I had in stock and this size would cover the countersunk hole better.

The mirror works well in service, giving a very comfortable rearward view, but does vibrate a little - but not as bad as the original mirrors.

Tim

Re: Alternative mirrors - 03/09/16 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By Tim W
... I fitted a rear view mirror on the Faibourne central pillar. Melvyn Rutter can supply this as a bolt on accessory, but didn't currently have any in stock, so they just sent me the mirror alone. ...

Very neat. Looks like you did a metal dash mod as well.

Re: Alternative mirrors - 04/09/16 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By Tim W
I have just fitted the mirrors as suggested by Planenut. They look very neat and work well on the nearside, but do not have so wide a field of view on the offside. Probably get used to that and at least they don't vibrate. So I fitted a rear view mirror on the Faibourne central pillar. Melvyn Rutter can supply this as a bolt on accessory, but didn't currently have any in stock, so they just sent me the mirror alone.

Tim

Agree with your findings Tim both good and bad, regarding the Lucas style mirrors, so will also be fitting the central rear view mirror you have sourced to my Fairbourne screen pillar.

Spoke to Melvyn Rutter yesterday, they expect to have the mount spindles available to complete the kit in about 10 days.
Posted By: truckin-on

Re: Alternative mirrors - 04/03/17 06:28 PM

[/quote]... Spoke to Melvyn Rutter yesterday, they expect to have the mount spindles available to complete the kit in about 10 days. [/quote]

Just received a response to my inquiry as to the availability from Melvyn Rutter, and they have the mirrors in stock, but they are quite costly: "3 wheeler mirror with flat glass for use with Fairbourne windscreen, in stock and cost is £75 plus delivery."

Ouch!

Re: Alternative mirrors - 04/03/17 11:42 PM

Unfortunately didn't have Tim W's skill on a lathe so had to cough up. If you were able to make a suitable spindle, the price of the mirror itself is not too bad.
Posted By: truckin-on

Re: Alternative mirrors - 05/03/17 01:03 AM

Agreed - and it's certainly a limited market, so not too hard to understand. But I'm not too bad on a lathe, so I think I may have a go on my own first before I bite the bullet.
Posted By: twotribes

Re: Alternative mirrors - 05/03/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By truckin-on
Agreed - and it's certainly a limited market, so not too hard to understand. But I'm not too bad on a lathe, so I think I may have a go on my own first before I bite the bullet.

...bite the billet ?
Posted By: CBM

Re: Alternative mirrors - 04/01/18 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By PaulV
...Might consider a central mirror as I have a Fairbourne screen.

Looking around... this seems the best candidate so far... Or this one...

I fitted the mirror in the lower photo to my full MMC screen, but despite adding a rubber mounting pad there is too much vibration at speed. It helps a little with reversing.

Re: Alternative mirrors - 04/01/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By CBM

I fitted the mirror in the lower photo to my full MMC screen, but despite adding a rubber mounting pad there is too much vibration at speed. It helps a little with reversing.

Whilst it looks a neat solution I think I can see why you have vibration issues. The distance from mounting base to mirror is too great. The double pivot linkage may not help and a rubber mounting will just serve to exaggerate any vibration.

FWIW the Melvyn Rutter, Fairbourne screen mount one I have works fine given its light weight and short stem.

Re: Alternative mirrors - 04/01/18 10:52 PM

You are quite right. I added the rubber to seal the gap between the bevelled top of the MMC screen and the clamp, but the problem is the ball joint. A very short stiff rod through the top of the screen stanchion might do the job.
Posted By: TimG

Re: Alternative mirrors - 05/01/18 11:57 AM

CBM you might have trouble come MOT time. The one you used does not have shrouded glass & would be another hazard in a crash. I have a suction mount mirror on my Sunbeam. They may have a shrouded one to suit you.
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/ca1135-suction-mirror-small.

Tim

Re: Alternative mirrors - 05/01/18 12:28 PM

Thank you Tim - I was not aware of that. If I am still alive in three years' time I will remove it.
Posted By: 2Sharp

Re: Alternative mirrors - 12/01/19 11:39 PM

Thinking of swapping out my mirrors. Any special instructions/tools to remove them? The bolts look they are in a pretty tricky place to get to.

Re: Alternative mirrors - 13/01/19 12:13 AM

Take the velcro trim out and it can be done. You will need a couple of 8mm penny washers as load spreaders. Although the view is considerably less blurred, as the arm is shorter, the view behind is not perfect and you may require a central rear view mirror for full rearward vision. At least you can see most of what is happening behind you with these mirrors.

Re: Alternative mirrors - 14/01/19 04:27 AM

Thanks a bunch. I took off one of the mirrors but very tight fit. Hard to get the plastic washer, washer and a nut in there and hold them in place while trying to fit the mirror stem through.

Re: Alternative mirrors - 18/01/19 01:27 PM

The new mirrors are in and fit the look of the car much better. Like others on here went with the Lucas style mirrors.
Posted By: AZJowett

Re: Alternative mirrors - 18/01/19 03:38 PM

Omnico 941ST S.Steel Interior Classic Car Mirror with Self-adhesive Attachment

Has anyone tried this? I am hesitant to drill into my MOG.

Re: Alternative mirrors - 18/01/19 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By AZJowett
Omnico 941ST S.Steel Interior Classic Car Mirror with Self-adhesive Attachment

Has anyone tried this? I am hesitant to drill into my MOG.

Question is whether the adhesive will hold a heavyish mirror against the vibration and air currents ... if you are attaching it to a windscreen I'd be dubious. I had an experimental light plastic mirror fly off. Modern adhesives are good but the mirror mount is challenging!
Posted By: TomS

Re: Alternative mirrors - 05/02/19 05:23 PM

These are readily available from Moss Motors in the U.S. so assume they have in the UK. Have them on my 58 +4.

TomS
Posted By: Chris99

Re: Alternative mirrors - 05/02/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By TomS
These are readily available from Moss Motors in the U.S. so assume they have in the UK. Have them on my 58 +4.

TomS

https://classicpartsltd.com/stainless-st...attachment.html
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News