Talk Morgan

Ugh...check engine light is on

Posted By: NickValentine

Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 02:10 PM

Gorgeous day. Headed out for a longer trip, and noticed 10 minutes in that the check engine light is on. Nearest dealer is an hour and forty minutes away. I assume a motorcycle shop might be able to tell me why the light is on?
Posted By: Timothy

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 02:30 PM

They will need S&S® Cycle Diagnostic software, if they don't have they can get from their website for free. I would take it back to your dealer if it was me.
Posted By: Chris99

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 03:09 PM

Had you just filled up with petrol?

It's easy to overfill and this can sometimes cause the check light to come on.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 03:19 PM

Filled up yesterday before putting it in the garage. It jumped from mid ninety percent to one hundred percent once I started driving. Once it's cool I'll check all fluids and open the gas tank in case it is a pressure problem, and give it another try

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 03:43 PM

Fuel says 75%. Running with the cap off didn't shut off the light. Not sure if that just goes off on its own if it is that issue.
Posted By: Taffmog

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 04:24 PM

Overfilling can bring the light on. Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and see if that's resets it.
Posted By: James B W

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 05:36 PM

I think this called 'raining on your parade....' doh

James
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 07:39 PM

I had the engine light going on last November.
No loss of power or any other mis-behavior of the engine.
They did not find a reason why the light went on.

Finally I got a new ECU as the car was still under warranty.
Posted By: Michael H

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 08:32 PM

This has been happening to me and the only other definitive time it did was when the exhaust manifold cracked and sheered off just below the bolts on the engine. The oxygen sensor mounted just after the first curve went nuts. Check engine light lit. When I mounted a new manifold the light stayed lit for awhile and now it is intermittent. It drives me crazy. Everything on the motor checks out and it IS a very simple engine, mechanically. The biggest snafu will be oil or lack of it and that has its own lamp!
Posted By: jshiffer2

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/09/16 10:17 PM

This is a common problem with mine. I ignore the yellow warning light now. I had a couple cables connected to sensors that were too close to the engine and got hot and caused the light to come on. A mechanic fixed that and the light stayed off for several thousand miles but it is back intermittently now.

Another possible cause is if you get a crack in a muffler and the exhaust back pressure is wrong. One crack and the electronics can't compensate. I found with both mufflers cracked the light went out again. I have a Brooklands so exhaust cracks are a problem for me.

Posted By: TimG

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 06:52 AM

Originally Posted By The Austrian
I had the engine light going on last November.
No loss of power or any other mis-behavior of the engine.
They did not find a reason why the light went on.

Finally I got a new ECU as the car was still under warranty.

Similar to the Austrian dealer thought it was oxygen sensors, the fix did not last till I got home. Ran it for 2 months with the light on with no apparent loss of performance. Back at the dealer it eventually turned out to be the ECU which was changed under warranty.

Tim
Posted By: bobo

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 10:00 AM

..JSHIFFER2...you mention a crack in the muffler will cause an incorrect exhaust back pressure which then cannot be compensated by the electronics & the engine light may come on.A lot of M3W owners have removed the cats & baffles from their exhaust systems.As a result has anyone had the light come on,& any corresponding uneveness in the running of the engine??
Posted By: Mi3Wheeler

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 11:10 AM

Was faulty o2 sensor when my check engine light came on.
Posted By: RichardV6

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By bobo
..JSHIFFER2...you mention a crack in the muffler will cause an incorrect exhaust back pressure which then cannot be compensated by the electronics & the engine light may come on.A lot of M3W owners have removed the cats & baffles from their exhaust systems.As a result has anyone had the light come on,& any corresponding uneveness in the running of the engine??

Didn't he mention that light came ont with just one cracked manifold? Adding that when the other cracked it went out, suggesting it doesn't like an imbalance.
Posted By: Dolph

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 03:02 PM

With 4400 miles now, mine came on a couple times about 2,000. Deleted the cats a month or two ago, and the light has not come on at all since.

Dolph

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 03:18 PM

Still on after running the tank down and refilling. No visible cracks in the exhaust that I could see this morning. Still no noticeable performance difference. Could be an oxygen sensor
Posted By: hbatts

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 06:55 PM

Still have the cats but removed all the baffles. Never seen a light. 2012.
Posted By: spelunx

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 07:32 PM

Best thing is to download the S&S Pro Tune Software, pick the right matching USB cable and connect it to the ECU, which is sitting under the cover of the fuse box. You need a little torx tool to remove the little metal cover protecting the USB connector.
Ignition must be switch on to be able to access the ECU status, but it is not necessary to have the engine running. Check for the reported DTC's (engine trouble codes) and note them down. You may delete the errors, but the software must be first switched into Expert/Advanced mode, otherwise you can just review but not delete the trouble codes.
Then switch off ignition and check, if they are popping in again after switching ignition on again (if everything is ok they should be switched off after a couple of seconds).
For advanced users with some good basic understanding Pro Tune is offering a live monitoring mode, which allows to check all relevant engine parameters while the engine is running. There are a lot of field which can be added to get a better idea about the whole situation.
Keep in mind that all values are just values which are "seen" by the ECU. They might be bogus in case of sensor or wiring problems. In doubt you will need to find someone who is able to measure the real values to proof where the problems is caused.
Posted By: nippymog

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 23/09/16 08:41 PM

Excellant overview Spelunx

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 26/09/16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By spelunx
Best thing is to download the S&S Pro Tune Software, pick the right matching USB cable and connect it to the ECU, which is sitting under the cover of the fuse box. You need a little torx tool to remove the little metal cover protecting the USB connector.
Ignition must be switch on to be able to access the ECU status, but it is not necessary to have the engine running. Check for the reported DTC's (engine trouble codes) and note them down. You may delete the errors, but the software must be first switched into Expert/Advanced mode, otherwise you can just review but not delete the trouble codes.
Then switch off ignition and check, if they are popping in again after switching ignition on again (if everything is ok they should be switched off after a couple of seconds).
For advanced users with some good basic understanding Pro Tune is offering a live monitoring mode, which allows to check all relevant engine parameters while the engine is running. There are a lot of field which can be added to get a better idea about the whole situation.
Keep in mind that all values are just values which are "seen" by the ECU. They might be bogus in case of sensor or wiring problems. In doubt you will need to find someone who is able to measure the real values to proof where the problems is caused.

I'll see if I can check this out. Thanks!

Looked up where Waldshut was...I bet that's some great driving down there.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 26/09/16 05:20 PM

Hey Nick,
Thanks form the flowers. Yes, the wild south of germany is a very nice region for all kind of actions: hiking, biking, motorcycling, morganing, river swimming, climbing, ...
And within a 90min driving distance you can reach the central swiss alpine region :-)

If you gain some additional informations about the ECU error(s) or need further support just let me know. After facing a lot off odd constellations with my own Threewheeler I had to deal a lot with the S&S documentation and the complete fuel system.

Best regards
Kurt
Posted By: jshiffer2

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 26/09/16 10:35 PM

My mechanic told me that incorrect exhaust back pressure can cause the light to come on. I observed on a cross country trip that when one exhaust cracked the light came on. When the second exhaust also cracked the light went off. I attribute this to the ECU being unable to adjust the timing to be correct for both cylinders with only one exhaust cracked, but with both cracked it was able to adjust the timing. That's just my deduction but I am not a mechanic.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 27/09/16 04:19 AM

I would be curious which error would be reported in such a constellation by your ECU. I would expext error codes P0170 or P0173 (fuel adaptive map maxed out), as there is only a certain corridor foreseeen to adapt the fuel amount based on the standard mappings.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 27/09/16 12:10 PM

I would be curious which error would be reported in such a constellation by your ECU. I would expext error codes P0170 or P0173 (fuel adaptive map maxed out), as there is only a certain corridor foreseeen to adapt the fuel amount based on the standard mappings.
Ding ding ding ding! Winner!

P0170 or P0173 it is. Not entirely sure what it means. Maybe it is the back pressure issue?

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 27/09/16 02:58 PM

Hmm ... DTC's P0170 / P0173 can be caused by a number of constellations. They are popping up if something related with the O2 sensor values is not matching what is expected.

People would normally assume, that it is caused by defective or malfunctioning O2 sensors. But in most cases this is not true. The O2 sensors are being clearly destroyed/poisened by leaded fuel, but at least in europe you will find that kind of fuel at no regular pump gas station - IMHO you can find it at airfield (AVGAS).

More likely are wiring issues (bad contacts/rotten connectors) or damaged cables, but if the cables are looking fine this is not so likely as well. You may unplug the connectors and do a visual inspection against corrosion. As Morgan is using super seal connectors the pins are most likely in good condition.
DO NOT APPLY contact spray - according to my fuel injection experts this might have a bad impact on the signals!
In doubt you might messure the voltage signals at the sensor, which must be done in hot conditions - DO NOT burn yourself.
The voltage levels are mentioned in the S&S Pro Tune manual.

In my experience a likely cause of those error codes are leaks (vakuum leaks on the intake section - unless your intake header or seal is damaged, this can't be seen at the S&S engine, due to the overall construction (no plastics, just solid metal), or leaking exhaust pipes/headers - cracking headers at the head connector or leaking tube seals ahd been reported a number of times). In your case I would assume this is the case at your car.

Just to be complete on this topic:
You will find this errors as well, when you are facing odd constellations regarding the fuel pressure at your injection rail, which should be around 58psi / 4bar. In case of an sick fuel pump, blocked fuel lines/filter, poor wiring contacts or squized wiring cables, or a dying ECU (the ECU seems to control the fuel pressure as well).
The fuel injectors could be clocked.

To summarize all influecing facts one could say:
Everything, which is causing a weaker (or fatter) mixture as respected by the ECU algorithms might show these errors.

THE ECU has quite a number of map fields defining when and how long fuel is injected to match the closed loop targets (emissions), depending on throttle position, vakuum, barometric pressure, engine & air temp, rpm speed. The maps are existant for each cylinder as the engine is normally installed in driving direction (front/rear cylinder - rear cylinder running hotter).
In conjunction to these base maps the engine is "learning" an adaptive map by monitoring your specific engine behavior which is used for fine tuning the values. (Note: the adaptive map can be purged in Pro Tune "advanced mode" and will then be selftrained over the next hours of operation. Puring the adaptive maps will first result in a more poor engine mood until the training is finished).
For the adaptive map there is a limited range of tolerance. If your engine is exceeding the adaptive limits these errors will pop in.

Oh boy ... I know this is dry stuff, but no rocket science. I hope you managed to read/understand until this line :-)
If yes, things might be now more clear to you

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 27/09/16 03:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation spelunx, that helps a lot! I think I understand all of the possibilities. I can check the connectors when I get home tonight.

Is there some advantage to purging the adaptive maps? A chance maybe that the self training went wrong the first time?

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 28/09/16 04:37 AM

I would recommend purging the adaptive map only, if all other inspections did not give a clear indication, what might be the reason for an poor engine running.

In most cases there is a reason for a displayed engine check. Deleting the learned adaptive map will not cure the cause of the problem itself.
I did so, after having check nearly all possible causes at my car and being unsure, if the adaptive map trained itself bogus engine constellations.

In the end it resulted first on extremly poor idling & starting and a very lean mixture on one cylinder, which resumed to the original behaviour after having driven a number of hours and passing through all levels of engine load to teach the ECU.

But as the root cause had been a defective ECU which suffered problems on nearly all involved engine sensors and throttled the fuel pressure down to about 40% of the correct level it didn't help at all.

My last joker had been humbling to the next dealer and swapping for investigation purposes the ECU against one of a running car. With this one it run absolutely brilliant again, so it was proven that the ECU was damaged.

This is not a very common failure. ECU's are normally only destroyed by overvoltage problems (shortcircuits, voltage peaks, ...) which normally domnot occur.

My personal suspect is, that S&S had a problem in the manufacturing process of the electronics components (e.g. Oxidized soldering pads, weak soldering, etc.)
I will ask the dealer, if he still has the old ECU and would mind returning it to me, so I could ask my SMD manufacturing experts in our plant to open the decive for a visual inspection. (We are manufacturing automotive electronics since decades)

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 29/09/16 12:57 PM

Adaptive map purged....just in time for days of horrible weather. I'll let you know how it goes after some driving. Luckily I'm only 400 miles from the first service, so if it doesn't work I can have them look at it at the same time.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 30/09/16 05:22 AM

Hey Nick,
So finally you got already a little common with Pro Tunes - very cooL. I am pretty curious about news related to your car.

BTW In case that anyone is confused about the operating systems supported by Pro Tunes:
S&S ist mentioning just Win7/8/8.1, but is is running fine under Win 10 as well :-)

I would highly recommend to review the available Pro Tunes documentation. It is well structured and explaining the algorithms which are driving the ECU in detail including flow diagrams for the procedures involved. It is a source of valuable informations. If your are able to think straight forward you don't need to be an IT expert to understand quite well what the job of the ECU.
Posted By: JamesB

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 01/10/16 02:57 PM

I have a 2014 and the USB port seems to be missing, possibly with a blank plate riveted over it.

In cases like that, do you just find a cable with an OBDII end?
Posted By: drk

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 01/10/16 03:03 PM

The USB port is under a little black plate. You need to unscrew it and you will see the port

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 03/10/16 05:37 PM

There is no OBD port available, but you can easily find the location in my picture

Attached File
IMG_0111.JPG  (71 downloads)

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 03/10/16 07:25 PM

You'll need a very small hex key. I want to say it was the 1/16th in.

I purged the adaptive map, got about 15 minutes of driving before the light came back on. The dealer is going to take a look at it. I'll update with what it turns out to be.

Thanks again for the help spelunx.
Posted By: kwb

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 06/10/16 07:13 PM

Going home from Grindelwald meeting I had my Engine Control Light burning nearly constantly (for more than 1200km's, engine worked without problems). My dealer checked all sensors involved, especially the knocking sensor for the right cylinder suspected by the error code. No error found, finally exchanged the ECU under warranty.
My M3W now runs much better at lower rpm's, although few hick-ups occur now in traffic jam with hot engine.
All in all, the new ECU is a big improvement!

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 11/10/16 12:48 PM

...drum roll...

Dealer says...bad gas. They emptied the tank, didn't like the look of the gas. Put new gas in and no light. They ran it for a while and the light never came back on.

I had been giving it local, artisanal gas from the gas station nearest to my house. Looks like I'll have to go to a big chain with a name brand instead of the gas station whose name, I believe, is "ATM Inside"

In other news, while waiting for them to come get the M3W, I noticed a clunking coming from the back. I tried to find anything that seemed loose and couldn't. Dealer said he noticed a grinding sound as well. They tracked it down and said there was a bad wheel bearing. Looks like this would have been in the shop this week no matter what. They ordered the part. Hopefully won't take to long. They ordered it from MMC from what I understand though. I would think there'd be something off the shelf closer to home.

By the time I get it back, it will have been in the shop longer than I've had it. Not really upsetting, but it will be if this is a trend. My father wouldn't buy a used Jaguar that I was pushing for in high school because he said that they tend to spend half their time with the mechanic. I remembered him saying that when I did the math on how long this will take to get back.
Posted By: RedThree

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 11/10/16 01:01 PM

Nick, the rear wheel bearings are very much a standard bearing so any bearing factor will likely have them in stock or available overnight at worst. I'm not at home just now so can't just quote the spec for the bearings (two identical bearings are required)

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 11/10/16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By RedThree
Nick, the rear wheel bearings are very much a standard bearing so any bearing factor will likely have them in stock or available overnight at worst. I'm not at home just now so can't just quote the spec for the bearings (two identical bearings are required)

Details on previous thread:

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/258301/Searchpage/2/Main/18214/Words/bearing/Search/true/Re:_rear_bearings#Post258301

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 11/10/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By Chris99
Originally Posted By RedThree

Details on previous thread:

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/258301/Searchpage/2/Main/18214/Words/bearing/Search/true/Re:_rear_bearings#Post258301

Thanks. There's good info there. I would assume initial manufacturing defect and not wear, but only because it went at 600 miles. I'll have to check the belt tension.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 18/10/16 12:24 PM

Got it back last night. Yay! Drove it down the driveway and the check engine light turned on. Booooo!

Drove it back up the driveway to show the dealer before he drove off, and it turned back off. Decided to take it to work this morning and it looks like it is back on.

He had driven it for 40 miles or so after swapping out the gas, and ran it sitting for quite a while too. It never came on for him.
Posted By: NeilL

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 18/10/16 01:36 PM

Battery ok? Might need a charge - my M3W seemed to always need a full charge.I used a Tickle charger on it all the time when in my garage.
Posted By: Dan_Lockwood

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 18/10/16 02:16 PM

About the rear wheel bearings, we're an O.E.M. of plastic production machinery. If I had a part break on one of our machines and the customer did not come back to us for a replacement and just bought one locally, I would not offer them warranty on the part.

In my opinion, the dealer has no choice but to go through MMC for the parts for a warranty claim.

If it were out of warranty, I would cross reference and buy locally and be back on the road.

It sounds like they got the M3W back on the road quickly, even with the part coming from MMC.

Good luck with the Check Engine light.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 18/10/16 02:47 PM

I've got a trickle charger I haven't installed yet. I've not put it on because I've still got some riding time left in the season and didn't think it'd be an issue if I'm driving almost every day.

I assumed as much about the need to get the part from MMC for a warranty claim. I'm glad the turnaround was so quick.

Luck seems to be important, from what I've gathered.
Posted By: KenShapiro

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 18/10/16 05:47 PM

I use my Battery Tender every day... on my Beemer too. The battery will last longer doing this.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 18/10/16 06:00 PM

I generally keep my cars/motorcycles on trickle chargers when not being driven.

Shouldn't have to actually install a trickle charger, for the M3W, the accessory plug is directly wired. Just get an adapter to fit the socket and plug in easily. No extra wiring or sockets.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 18/10/16 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By JamesB
I generally keep my cars/motorcycles on trickle chargers when not being driven.

Shouldn't have to actually install a trickle charger, for the M3W, the accessory plug is directly wired. Just get an adapter to fit the socket and plug in easily. No extra wiring or sockets.

Any idea where I get that? I'm not sure what the accessory plug looks like, I'll have to take a look tonight. Or do you mean the 12V socket in the cockpit?
Posted By: Draggin

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 18/10/16 07:01 PM

yes he means the 12v plug in the cockpit, it is always "on" so it makes an ideal charger port.
http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/Cigarette-Lighter-Adaptor.html

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 19/10/16 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By Draggin
yes he means the 12v plug in the cockpit, it is always "on" so it makes an ideal charger port.

Well it might if the cabling was a bit thicker and the fuse didn't blow wink

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 19/10/16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By Richard Wood

Did the fuse blow on you?

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 19/10/16 03:58 PM

Exactly.

Originally Posted By Richard Wood

They've always worked great for me, without incident. Multiple brands. I'd just make sure it's disconnected before starting the vehicle. Never meant to help with starting. Never tried to charge a completely dead battery with one. I just use them as part of battery maintenance.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 19/10/16 04:20 PM

Modern multi-stage chargers including battery maintainers rely on charging the battery to a specific voltage then maintaining a lower float voltage. The latter to ward off natural discharge. Using a convoluted feed to the battery will result in a volt drop which may compromise these ideal voltage pre-sets. This can lead to sulphatation of the battery plates which if left will reduce battery life if left unattended.

If a relatively large charger is used on a well drained battery the initial charge current demanded will blow the fuse. Even the puny OE battery supplies several hundred amps on start which means it can absorb similar given a powerful enough charger.

Because it works for some does not make it good electrical practice or advice. Just compare the cabling from alternator to that of the power socket if still not convinced.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 19/10/16 04:39 PM

I know that thread has drifted a bit, but if you're looking to keep a battery on a "tender" floating system, I would recommend one of these.

They go directly onto the batter and the charge end can be hidden up front so you don't have to remove the bonnet to gain battery access. They're also fused with a 10amp fuse for safety.

These are available and most any bike shop here in the US for around $15. They're available on eBay also. I'm sure UK bike shops have the same harness. They're usually a couple foot long so routing them is not a big issue.

These have your normal 2-prong plug end that most all tenders use.
Posted By: nippymog

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 19/10/16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By Dan_Lockwood
I know that thread has drifted a bit, but if you're looking to keep a battery on a "tender" floating system, I would recommend one of these.

They go directly onto the batter and the charge end can be hidden up front so you don't have to remove the bonnet to gain battery access. They're also fused with a 10amp fuse for safety.

These are available and most any bike shop here in the US for around $15. They're available on eBay also. I'm sure UK bike shops have the same harness. They're usually a couple foot long so routing them is not a big issue.

+1 I have fitted exactly this and works no problem.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 19/10/16 11:46 PM

My knowledge of batteries is pretty limited*. What's the Ah for our battery? Is that written on the battery.

*im responsible for swapping them out in the Xbox controller
Posted By: KenShapiro

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 20/10/16 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By nippymog

+1 I have fitted exactly this and works no problem.

I'm using one of those as well but might switch to use the accessories plug just because it's " cleaner". Any reason not to?
Posted By: Q8morgan

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 20/10/16 01:34 AM

I have done that & its just behind the fan to the right tied to the bracket but i remember i had to extend the cable..deltran battery tenders are great plus weatherproof. I have them set up on my toys..makes charging them from time to time such a breeze.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 20/10/16 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By NickValentine
My knowledge of batteries is pretty limited*. What's the Ah for our battery? Is that written on the battery.

*im responsible for swapping them out in the Xbox controller

OE battery 30Ah - imagine trying to turn over a Dodge Viper engine (which has smaller cylinder capacity) with one of those!

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 20/10/16 11:30 AM

Antigravity batteries have very powerful lithium batteries, high cca (amps) but they need a special type of battery tender (lifeo4)

-works with all 12v systems
-over 2x the power of lead/acid
-up to 80% lighter than lead/acid
-better stater performance
-longer life

I just got one for my trex..starts quick.. I should have tried it first on the mog to see if it cranks it up quicker..

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 20/10/16 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By KenShapiro

I'm using one of those as well but might switch to use the accessories plug just because it's " cleaner". Any reason not to?

I will let you know, I get my adapter cable this week. Im thinking of maybe adding a 2nd 12v receptacle to the drivers side, since the bracket already exists, and run that directly to the battery terminal.
Posted By: skullmog

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 20/10/16 05:43 PM

Dont foget to fuse the positive wire near the battery end!

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/10/16 06:48 AM

I have two smart charger/tenders both came with a fused flying lead. I use an Optimate on the M3W & the lead is fed into cockpit & lays at side of gearbox tunnel.

Tim

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/10/16 11:59 AM

Mine came with the fuse. I've got it installed and it pops through into the cabin right down by the passenger's knees and is hard to see. very unobtrusive.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/10/16 01:03 PM

Well the battery tender to cigarette plug idea has worked flawlessly, I am using a 800ma battery tender in this case, and a slightly discharged battery. It did have a red light initially, so it was doing some charging, and this morning is on the "tending" part of its cycle. No issues! Obviously if I was to have a deeply drained battery I would pull the bonnet, and use my bigger charger connected directly to the battery terminals.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/10/16 02:36 PM

Obviously if I was to have a deeply drained battery I would pull the bonnet, and use my bigger charger connected directly to the battery terminals.

I agree, "tenders" are not battery chargers. They require a well charged battery to do their thing.

If you have a dead or low battery, get a battery charger and get it up to normal and then plug in the tender so it can keep it in ready to go range.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/10/16 09:41 PM

Obviously if I was to have a deeply drained battery I would pull the bonnet, and use my bigger charger connected directly to the battery terminals.

I agree, "tenders" are not battery chargers. They require a well charged battery to do their thing.

If you have a dead or low battery, get a battery charger and get it up to normal and then plug in the tender so it can keep it in ready to go range.

Better still get a smart/multi-stage charger that does both. Once on the lower float voltage it makes no difference how powerful it is - they are designed to be left on long term unattended.

Many also have an auto maintenance mode which kicks in every 14 days or so. This stirs up the electrolyte by temporarily increasing charge voltage, disturbing undesirable stratification due to lack of use and warding off ageing sulphation of plates.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 30/10/16 06:50 PM

[url=[URL=http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Q8morgan/media/IMG_0344_zps4uct0bjd.jpg.html][/url]][/url]

Thats the tender connection, but i have the bonnet off to do a oil change.
Posted By: HalfFull

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 02/11/16 09:08 PM

My CEL has been intermittently going on for 30-45 min at a time. 800 miles on the car. No overt engine issues, no overt findings (pipes, wiring, etc). At the dealer, everything checks out. Awaiting word from Morgan on trying some things via the computer diagnostics. On this side of the pond, we wait till the next day to hear from Malvern. Otherwise looking at an ECU replacement.

Use a CTEK charger via 12v socket, works great.
Posted By: Inge

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 02/11/16 09:38 PM

ok - dumb question
which is the negative (earth) on the accessory socket, the center or the outer contact. I assume the outer is negative.
Posted By: Rog G

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 02/11/16 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By Inge
ok - dumb question
which is the negative (earth) on the accessory socket, the center or the outer contact. I assume the outer is negative.

Correct the outer is negative, the centre pin positive.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 03/11/16 12:04 PM

Last trip I took the light went out and stayed out about half way through. I've had a busy few days and haven't taken it out. I'm hoping it's going to stay off. Time will tell.
Posted By: skullmog

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 03/11/16 06:35 PM

not nice that sinking feeling when that 'f'ing light comes on!

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 03/11/16 06:51 PM

For a similar problem with engine light after a fix it came on again on the way home. With agreement I ran it for 2 months waiting for other parts to arrive. It eventually turned out to be an ECU problem & it was changed under warranty.

Tim
Posted By: BurqueDOKA

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 16/11/16 10:42 PM

What is the part number for a new ecu? Is SS the best source or Morgan?

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 16/11/16 11:15 PM

I am attempting to run the pro tune program for the first time on my M3W to see what engine code was on recently. I can not seem to get the ecm to communicate with the pc. It says it can't find the driver for the ecm. My windows machine has run a search on line and on the compressor with no luck. Has anyone ran into this issue?

Attached File
IMG_3122.JPG  (55 downloads)

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 17/11/16 04:24 AM

Hm, this is strange. I have not seen this constellation as long as you are connecting the computer and ECU directly via a standard USB cable.
If you are using a special cable you might have to install a driver.
I would recommend to unplug everything, then checking the windows device manager and see if you might have some missing drivers for your computer in general.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 17/11/16 07:12 PM

Hm, this is strange. I have not seen this constellation as long as you are connecting the computer and ECU directly via a standard USB cable.
I would recommend to unplug everything, then checking the windows device manager and see if you might have some missing drivers for your computer in general.

Hmm, ok. Maybe I'll try an other cable and maybe even an other computer. I am borrowing this PC as I am a Mac guy. My limited windows knowledge is based on a few generations back, this current OS is hard to figure out.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 17/11/16 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By BurqueDOKA

Hmm, ok. Maybe I'll try an other cable and maybe even an other computer. I am borrowing this PC as I am a Mac guy. My limited windows knowledge is based on a few generations back, this current OS is hard to figure out.
I used Windows 10 when I tried it, but didn't run into the problem. What year is your M3W. Has the tuning software changed since 2012?

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 17/11/16 07:40 PM

It is a 2013 (I know I have it listed as a 2012 on the for sale section, that is a miss print)

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 30/06/19 06:24 PM

Got a p0173 code today! Damn thing! Im going to put better gas in it and see if that helps

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 30/06/19 10:12 PM

Well I fixed it! I put in fresh plugs then gave it the beans down the highway. After about 20 minutes the light went out and stayed out.
Posted By: LightSpeed

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 30/06/19 11:39 PM

What fuel were you using? Brand and grade/octane rating please.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 01/07/19 02:11 PM

The fuel in there now os over a year old, Exxon 91 octane alcohol free with Stabil in it.
Posted By: rcmatt

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 01/07/19 02:45 PM

even with Stabil, one year old fuel is probably your problem.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 01/07/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by rcmatt
even with Stabil, one year old fuel is probably your problem.

I would second this thought. Old fuel is not good anywhere and it leads to varnishing the parts in which it comes into contact.

If you are going to put the machine to bed for the winter it would be wise to do so with an empty a tank as possible. Which brings to mind the question what sort of procedure is required to restart the system once it has been starved of fuel?

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 04/07/19 07:47 AM

[quote=
If you are going to put the machine to bed for the winter it would be wise to do so with an empty a tank as possible. Which brings to mind the question what sort of procedure is required to restart the system once it has been starved of fuel?

[/quote]
There is a opinion that its better to have a full tank when laid up to avoid condensation in the tank. Maybe less of a consideration in an alloy tank

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 04/07/19 11:58 AM

TimG, You are right about condensation in the tank and it is why I keep my tanks topped off as much as possible. It is the water that kills the spark since it is non combustible.

On all my other internal combustion engines I run them dry to shut them off for a season, like lawnmower, chainsaw, etc.
Posted By: rcmatt

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 05/07/19 01:54 PM

I know it can be a bit of debate.... full or empty.... I fall on the full side (with stabil). Having said that a year is a LONG time for gas to sit. I throw that into my Deere mower, it seems to run on anything.
Posted By: Ricardo

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 05/07/19 08:34 PM

Interesting read from BP

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/petrol-life-vehicle-tanks.pdf

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-c...-fuel/Opal-factsheet-storagehandling.pdf

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 05/07/19 08:43 PM

Very interesting indeed! Thanks for the Links.

It basically says just drive your cars :-) Sitting gathering dust is not a good thing. I have had many old vehicles and the most problematic area was fuel, whether in the carbs or injectors or the filters or the tanks.
Posted By: PhilipNZ

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/04/21 07:38 AM

Got my car back after Centa roller replacement and while the engine was out a new thrust bearing. It's been over 4 months.

I've got the engine light coming on with codes P0170 and P0173 but I'm hoping its the 5 month old fuel still in the tank (it was full when the rollers died)
Posted By: planenut

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/04/21 05:59 PM

If the light doesn't clear after a few miles I would suggest you connect Protune 2 and clear the fault codes and adaptive maps. That usually re-sets it all, those codes relate to the front and rear cylinder adaptive maps maxed out.
Posted By: CasaLobo

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/04/21 06:04 PM

Those codes can also be related to fuel pressure, so you might want to confirm that is at 58, I believe. If the engine was out, perhaps, there is some fuel pressure issue at the engine fuel lines. Hope it gets sorted out quickly.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/04/21 07:24 PM

Very true CasaLobo but I assume that as a long time Talk Morgan member PhilipNZ would have replaced his standard fuel pump for a more reliable Walbro one long ago...... As you say, always worth a check of the fuel pressure at the test point, particularly with those codes.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 21/04/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by planenut

Very true CasaLobo but I assume that as a long time Talk Morgan member PhilipNZ would have replaced his standard fuel pump for a more reliable Walbro one long ago...... As you say, always worth a check of the fuel pressure at the test point, particularly with those codes.

Thanks guys - I'll check that. No I haven't replaced the fuel pump, I've never had an issue with the car until the rollers failed at 10000km

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/04/21 07:22 AM

Thanks again, found a local supplier and ordered the kit

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 22/04/21 08:03 AM

This is the most up to date version of the fuel pump replacement instructions. https://www.mtwc.co.uk/wp-content/u...l-pump-replacement-April-2020-update.pdf

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 03/05/21 02:47 AM

Well I ran all the old fuel out and refilled. The car is going great with non of the tardiness it had with the old fuel. Trouble is the light still comes on so I've ordered a replacement fuel pump and will talk to my mechanic.

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 03/05/21 06:11 AM

It could take 10 or so cycles of running the engine for the fault code to clear and the light go out.
Posted By: Marmota

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 04/05/21 11:41 AM

In our case, this silly engine light issue was solved sending the ECU to MMC. They loaded a new program to the ECU. Was it an update? Or the Euro3 mapping? I can't say because they don't want to tell... But both Ana María and I feel that the engine runs much stronger between 2500-3000 rpm than before... confused2

And the light (until now. I hope it keeps that way) has not come back.
Posted By: P964

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 07/05/21 08:59 PM

With regard to reflashing the ecu, i have got a box file with the cooling fan code.
I used this when fitting the fan to my car.
It is a 30 sec job to upload to the ecu using ProTune software

Box file can be sent by email.

What file is currently in your ecu can be seen by using Protune and looking at 'comments'

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 07/05/21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by P964
With regard to reflashing the ecu, i have got a box file with the cooling fan code.
I used this when fitting the fan to my car.
It is a 30 sec job to upload to the ecu using ProTune software

Box file can be sent by email.

What file is currently in your ecu can be seen by using Protune and looking at 'comments'

You must have an unlocked e u?
Posted By: P964

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 08/05/21 06:43 AM

My ECU is locked, but you can flash it with an approved “box” file which contains all the tuning info and the appropriate equipment related details.

I bought the aftermarket cooling fan from Morgan and the file was provided as I did the install. So it is a locked file that is able to be uploaded.

The file itself cannot be changed using Protune, sadly
Posted By: Ralph

Re: Ugh...check engine light is on - 30/07/21 04:52 PM

Hello all. I have found a quick fix for the intermittent engine light issue. Mine came on just after buying my M3W. Worried me until I remembered my Ducati days and listened to the engine. No oil light. Have oil pressure. Engine sweet ? Yes. So don't worry. Later came to this site at a service station. Read every thing. Not satisfied so had a good hard think. Was sure that the ECU was getting confused and not adapting. Why ? probably an odd electrical input. Loose HT cap ? No. Checked aluminum nipples on plug tops. Both slightly loose. No pliers. Borrowed some. Started engine. NO LIGHT hooray. 30KM later light on again. Stop. Left plug nipple moving again. Tightened up and all good. When ever the light came on again I always found some slack . The problem is that the steel thread and Ally nipple expand and contract at different rates. This is perfect for unscrewing things. When home a brutal tightening has eradicated the issue. The tiny sparks jumping when the nipples can move, even a tiny bit puts a back emf into the ECU and it cannot adapt to the changes and puts the light on. You can have a situation where on a cold day or short run all is well. A long run may loosen the nipples and then a cool off overnight can tighten them. Try this FIRST before paying a dealer. They probably won't find this fault because the nipples tighten overnight.
© 2022 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News