Talk Morgan

Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub

Posted By: Andy H

Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 12/02/18 06:25 PM

Hi all, I ordered a Brooklands Steering wheel for my 2017 Morgan, but have been waiting for 8 months for the hub that attaches the wheel to the steering column spline. Apparently the 2017 steering column is thinner than prior years. Has anyone else had this problem and were they able to find one elsewhere?
Posted By: Glenn

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 12:52 PM

If no one else replies I will try and remember to go and have a look tonight. Mines a 2017 with Brooklands wheel. Looking at photos on my phone it appears to be a Lifeline.
Posted By: ShaunD

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 03:58 PM

I have a 2017 car and a Brooklands wheel on order and I asked MMC this morning whether anything else is needed to be able to fit it to my car and their response was as follows:

Yes the M3W15000 Brooklands steering wheel will fit directly on to the car with no other items need. It includes a quick release boss designed for the 3 Wheeler.

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By ShaunD
I have a 2017 car and a Brooklands wheel on order and I asked MMC this morning whether anything else is needed to be able to fit it to my car and their response was as follows:

Yes the M3W15000 Brooklands steering wheel will fit directly on to the car with no other items need. It includes a quick release boss designed for the 3 Wheeler.
which is supplied by Lifeline :-)
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 04:58 PM

a teaser

Posted By: PaulV

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 05:13 PM

EDIT: Mark is right - its the 3 hole version! (On my M3W anyway)
Lifeline-Quick-Release-Steering-Boss-Formula-Car-Race-Rally-Trackday

Posted By: Mark H

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 06:50 PM

Be careful as there are two part numbers associated with steering bosses the change happened 01/06/2016

Parts catelogue only shows three hole boss - so the question is are later cars fitted with a six hole boss?
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By Mark H
Be careful as there are two part numbers associated with steering bosses the change happened 01/06/2016

Parts catelogue only shows three hole boss - so the question is are later cars fitted with a six hole boss?

and there is a third q/r steering wheel boss part # U190055 listed from 3/4/2017 on, and apparently suitable for all factory wheel variants.

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 08:38 PM

Here's my aircraft style show wheel - 2012 /15/16 M3W fitted to the earlier boss bought through & supplied by lifeline.

L

Posted By: CBM

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 08:58 PM

My word! That is smart. Did you build that yourself?
Posted By: Dan_Lockwood

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 13/02/18 10:27 PM

Mark, that is a VERY sweet wheel you have there!

You say it's your "show" wheel, but have you ever driven with it?

Do the missing sections really make much difference?

Again, great looking wheel.
Posted By: rockabilly john

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 14/02/18 05:33 AM

Hi Mark, where did you get it?
I was thinking of the Lancaster steering yolk

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 14/02/18 08:18 AM

Checked mine last night, its a Lifeline. However, its a circular four hole connection to the Brooklands wheel, not a 3 point as previously posted.

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 14/02/18 07:28 PM

It's from Morgan Park (Hamburg) - they had a prototype at 'run 4 the hills' last year & this is one of the first batch - (I then needed to source the boss directly from lifeline direct) looks fabulous on the car & yes I've driven with it fitted which was an absolute hoot with SkullMOG & Chris as there are gaps to overcome - hence we use it for show - leaves you reaching for the rim somewhat!

How we laughed

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 14/02/18 08:12 PM

They're 4 bolts at the Brooklands wheel but adapted through the boss to fit a 3 bolt lifeline - odd setup

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 15/02/18 12:41 PM

Thats not like mine, mine is alot neater, a genuine 4 hole connection. I'm trying to send a pic but it won't upload

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 15/02/18 03:15 PM

The soup thickens!!

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 15/02/18 08:39 PM

It’s a genuine Lifeline unit, both parts. With 4 holes & direct fit to Brooklands wheel. Seems hard to believe but maybe it really is made specifically for Morgan because the Lifeline website doesn’t list a 4 hole quick release. 😳

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 15/02/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn
It’s a genuine Lifeline unit, both parts. With 4 holes & direct fit to Brooklands wheel. Seems hard to believe but maybe it really is made specifically for Morgan because the Lifeline website doesn’t list a 4 hole quick release. 😳

Agreed - and I'm guessing that the shaft is a different diameter too?

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 15/02/18 10:03 PM

Shaft is 20mm diameter
Posted By: stantheman

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 16/02/18 01:50 PM

Just had to pop into the garage and check mine.

It's a Brooklands Edition with the Brooklands wheel as original equipment from new. The boss is, as expected, a Lifeline but with a 4 bolt attachment as standard. Their is no adapter from 3 to four as per the pics in an earlier posting on this thread.

So clearly it can be done. Were these a special order for the 50 Brooklands Editions? Not sure.

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 16/02/18 08:57 PM

Looks like that’s the 01/06/16 modification then
Why can’t morgan simply publish the changes - we’ll find them anyway in the long term. 🙄
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 16/02/18 11:31 PM

They have wink

Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel Hub - 17/02/18 09:11 AM

Agreed Richard & we found that earlier, however the diagram only shows the earlier 3 hole boss and no spec mention of a difference in shaft size even though there's two boss part numbers pre & post mod.

It would be great to have a system of technical updates available on-line from Morgan similar to service bulletins used in aircraft manufacture. Build specs change frequently and Morgan write these up as we've previously seen from time to time but they're not publicised. My thoughts are that this is to protect they're dealerships workshops.

Are these available anyone? - They don't show in my Haynes workshop manual.😜
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News